Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
kgh52

DD's in Raptor Resque

15 comments in this topic

[TDRB]
Members
1,106 posts
4,215 battles

The last 2 nights there has been a higher than normal number of DD's in RR & fewer BB's. Has anyone else notice this? I'm assuming this is due to the British DD promotion WG is having.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,125 posts
14,528 battles

Yes, there's been a pretty significant showing of DDs.  Most of them are terrible though.  I've only seen one do well, some guy in a Farragut that was very familiar with how the Op went.  This guy was sailing out so far ahead of the rest of the convoy taking stuff out and ambushing Ryujo right as she entered the map.  The bad thing for him and me was the other 2 DDs and the rest of the team were terrible and we ended up losing the Op.  Farragut did very well but it doesn't matter if the rest potato it.  One of those other DDs died to the very first group of NPC ships, thinking it was a good idea to charge and go stationary in front of a Cruiser and Battleship.  I even had some DD hiding behind the CVs.  What a waste.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[RKLES]
Members
7,212 posts
9,006 battles
2 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Yes, there's been a pretty significant showing of DDs.  Most of them are terrible though.  I've only seen one do well, some guy in a Farragut that was very familiar with how the Op went.  This guy was sailing out so far ahead of the rest of the convoy taking stuff out and ambushing Ryujo right as she entered the map.  The bad thing for him and me was the other 2 DDs and the rest of the team were terrible and we ended up losing the Op.  Farragut did very well but it doesn't matter if the rest potato it.  One of those other DDs died to the very first group of NPC ships, thinking it was a good idea to charge and go stationary in front of a Cruiser and Battleship.  I even had some DD hiding behind the CVs.  What a waste.

Yeah did that in my DD as well or maybe that was me? I did unbelievable amount of damage and several kills before they could reach the convoy. But sadly my entire team still managed to get themselves all killed before I finally fell near the end of the battle. Most players need to use BBs though so they can have the HP, secondary guns, main guns, AA, and heals, unless they are a really good DD player.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,125 posts
14,528 battles
11 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Yeah did that in my DD as well or maybe that was me? I did unbelievable amount of damage and several kills before they could reach the convoy. But sadly my entire team still managed to get themselves all killed before I finally fell near the end of the battle. Most players need to use BBs though so they can have the HP, secondary guns, main guns, AA, and heals, unless they are a really good DD player.

The biggest problem this operation is that the majority of players refuse to leave the healing circle.  All this does is the entire group, convoy get surprise torpedoes because there are no eyes spotting these threats further away.  It got to the point one run where a bot BB rammed Raptor.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[TDRB]
Members
1,106 posts
4,215 battles
6 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

The biggest problem this operation is that the majority of players refuse to leave the healing circle.  All this does is the entire group, convoy get surprise torpedoes because there are no eyes spotting these threats further away.  It got to the point one run where a bot BB rammed Raptor.

My cruiser was citadel 2X by the 1st BB but the biggest battle was getting into the healing circle because of all the ships that did not take damage camping there.

[RLGN]
Members
8,265 posts
17,285 battles

Sometimes it doesn’t matter what anyone takes; blind as a bat, and apparently can’t hit destroyers right in front of their noses...

[VW]
Members
1,940 posts
12,499 battles

i find it amazing that people fear bots. i played one match yesterday, one guy never left spawn (he was not afk) a couple died instantly, and the rest hid letting the cv go to its death. i dont understand, it's really a simple op.

[REEF]
[REEF]
Beta Testers
637 posts
8,060 battles
4 hours ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

I usually play my Fuso, it seems to be very well suited to RR!  But I will also play my CL's but I NEVER play a DD, I'm a terrible DD driver!  I suck SO BAD as a DD Driver that I blast myself in chat for sucking so bad!  When a game starts and I'm in a DD I should be switched to RED, because I suck so bad I might as well be playing for the opposition!  Boy do I hate any game/campaign/missions using DD's!  Oh well............:Smile_playing:

• Cool 1

[4HIM]
Members
1,805 posts
4,086 battles

Seen some well played DD's in it, and seen people as bad as me playing DD's as well.  Biggest issue I've seen repeated is when someone gets the red mist and goes chasing one of the CV's.  Typically someone will follow and now you're short handed.  WG reworked RR.  Before, the path to win was for someone to go South and take out the first DD.  Most times they died doing so.  But since it's been reworked, it's a path to a mission fail.  Now everyone needs to protect Raptor.  If not, it will get torped right about the time it starts to leave the first rendezvous point.  That's where you have a couple cruisers appear and vomit torps all over Raptor.  

But it can be done in a DD.  Even by a potato like me.  Once I even finished top of the team in the Farragut.  Should have rushed out and bought a lottery ticket after that one as it was one of those games where everything just lined up right.  But by and large, this is mostly a cruiser Op.  

• Funny 1

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,125 posts
14,528 battles
9 hours ago, monpetitloup said:

i find it amazing that people fear bots. i played one match yesterday, one guy never left spawn (he was not afk) a couple died instantly, and the rest hid letting the cv go to its death. i dont understand, it's really a simple op.

You should see what happens with the typical pick-up team in Operation Narai.

[WOLFB]
Members
451 posts
3,836 battles

You all should see @Lightninger in a Destroyer in any Operation. He crushes it and makes it look easy. He's got videos up on YouTube.

If you want to bring a Destroyer into any of the Operations, you'll do yourself and your team a favor by watching those videos ahead of time to know how to do it.

[APOC]
Members
637 posts
11,733 battles
7 minutes ago, Jester_of_War said:

You all should see @Lightninger in a Destroyer in any Operation. He crushes it and makes it look easy. He's got videos up on YouTube.

If you want to bring a Destroyer into any of the Operations, you'll do yourself and your team a favor by watching those videos ahead of time to know how to do it.

Since you mention it, here are the videos I made for the new version of Raptor Rescue using a destroyer.

Original Route in Anshan

Northern Route in Fushun

Just another good game, this one in Gnevy.

New tactic for new version.

And if you want a spoiler for the new secret achievement, you can watch this.

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
Members
6,461 posts
2,405 battles

bump, in lieu of much else interesting to discus...

[USNR]
Members
706 posts
8,884 battles

DD's can do well in raptor rescue the problem arises if there are more than one or two at the most.  In this op you need some good DPM cruisers with good AA, and some BB's to knock of cruisers fast.  It helps if the DD's know their role and get out in front and to the flanks and spot/screen for the team.  This way the BB's and Cruisers can go to work from range and thin the herd of opposing warships.  I cringe if I load in with three or four DD's.  My best mix for this is a good CV player, 2 BBs, Three or four CA's, and one good dd player.  Of course you cannot choose your teams on this generally.  But those are my thoughts on it.

Sign in to follow this