Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Steel_I

for yamato what would be the 1st 4th skill

14 comments in this topic

Members
8 posts
1,720 battles

ok.  I got enough skill to get the 4th captain skill on the yamato.  The question is FP or CE.  I perfect to fight at a long distance and don't get burn to death on the yamato (maybe mostly I am playing ranks games or maybe I learned to stay away).  But on the izumo i got FP first because I got burn the death a lot when I first got the izumo.  On the American high tier BB I have CE first. 

So what is your suggestion. 

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,814 posts
10,343 battles

Concealment Expert.

Concealment's vital, Yamato's is not too bad when specced out for it. No one wants to be the first target spotted and shot. FP saves you fire damage, but the best way to avoid damage in WOWS is to not be seen.

• Cool 2

[RKLES]
Members
7,214 posts
9,006 battles
3 minutes ago, Steel_I said:

ok.  I got enough skill to get the 4th captain skill on the yamato.  The question is FP or CE.  I perfect to fight at a long distance and don't get burn to death on the yamato (maybe mostly I am playing ranks games or maybe I learned to stay away).  But on the izumo i got FP first because I got burn the death a lot when I first got the izumo.  On the American high tier BB I have CE first. 

First 4 point skill needs to be Concealment Expert and second 4 point skill needs to be Advanced Fire Training since you will have to face air attacks as well as DDs and while it may not stop them entires it will discourage them.

[-WPG-]
Members
809 posts
3,352 battles

If you plan on doing clan battles, probably fire prevention as first skill. You're probably going to want to take CE as the 2nd, and that rules out AFT because you should also take BoS (and SI) with all the DM, Worcesters, Harugumos, etc raining fire on you. No CVs in clan battles either so one less reason for AFT. 

[PQUOD]
Members
302 posts
6,302 battles
51 minutes ago, Steel_I said:

I have the Musashi and the first 4 point Captain skill I got was fire protection. After a couple games of having three or four fires going at once. It pushed me to that direction. I usually sail close to the front and brawl, so it helps having a maximum of two fires at once limit.

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,155 posts
14,555 battles
1 hour ago, mofton said:

Concealment Expert.

Concealment's vital, Yamato's is not too bad when specced out for it. No one wants to be the first target spotted and shot. FP saves you fire damage, but the best way to avoid damage in WOWS is to not be seen.

Very much ^^^, 100%.

With Stealth Build, Yamato is as stealthy as Montana.  Matter of fact, most of the Tier X BBs in Stealth Build are around the same neighborhood.

Montana 13.4km

Yamato 13.5km

Yamato without CE but having Camo + CSM1 upgrade:  15.7km

GK 13.6km

Republique 13.5km

When I first got Yamato, I thought it was pointless to improve the stealth of something with 18km detection range.  But I was shown by someone on the boards that Stealth Build on Yammie provided her with massive benefits.  People lauded Montana in the past for a respectable detection range, while at the same time, derided Yamato due to "Being spotted from the moon."  Yet when it came to a Stealth Build, she is practically identical to Montana in detection range.  The guy did the math on the boards and it looked right.  I took the chance, redid my Yammie Build, and sho' nuff, 13.5km while Monty had 13.4km.  I was floored.

The Stealth Build lets Yamato control her engagements more easily.  You are no longer spotted halfway across the map and shot at by every single sonuvab*tch with long range guns, looking for the first thing to get spotted and try to get a lucky long range salvo.  Yamato without Stealth Build ends up eating needless damage long before she even gets into the fighting position you wanted.  By the time you get to your first fighting position, you've already lost 10k+ damage and just put out some fires.  When you get to that fighting position, your DCP is on cooldown and you are suddenly vulnerable to spam.  And that's not counting what the other Battleships are going to try to do.

After all that, THEN the Non-Stealth Build Yamato can start to fight.

A benefit to Stealth Build is defensively.  Basically if things look too stupid, you simply withhold your fire and "Go Dark."  Recover, reposition, and fight again later.  There is also the important factor that if your ship is on fire, your detection range gets worse.  If you had that stupid 15.7km detection range because you neglected CE, your detection gets truly abysmal and it's all but impossible to disengage unless some DD smokes you up or you find an island to hide behind.

Offensively, this lets Yamato lurk a little bit to get into more favorable engagement ranges undetected and let loose.  A Yamato creeping in at 14km undetected is about to have Surprize Butt-Secks with someone using those 9x 460mm guns as toys for the occasion.  Now, you are not able to do this all the time, but there are occasions where this opportunity presents itself, and Stealth Build Yamato can take it.  You aren't surprising anyone with 15.7km detection.  Also...

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Detection#Fires

"A ship that is on fire will have 3 km added to their detectability range (2 km by air) for as long as it is on fire. The increase does not stack with multiple fires."

Yamato 13.5km on fire has 16.5km detection.  Difficult to break off but it can be doable.

Yamato 15.7km on fire has 18.7km detection.  LOL you may as well make smoke signals to the enemy to tell where you're at so everyone on the map can shoot at you!

I will also like to have the IJN BB players recall how unstealthy it was in a prior BB in this line.  Fuso.  The worst detection Battleship in the game, even with Stealth Build, and it's 15.8km.  She is a magnificent BB for Tier VI but her concealment is TERRIBAD.  Non-Stealth Build Yamato is just as terrible in concealment.  You cannot control your engagements, break contact, sneak around in Fuso.  You're always Perma-Spotted and people will always have someone to shoot at, YOU.  Bring that experience over to Tier X against the most dangerous ranged ships in the game, it's not a comfortable feeling.

When I first got Yamato I had all kinds of problems.  I didn't know about the citadel weakness, I sailed like an idiot, and I didn't have the stealth build.  I learned how to deal with or play better the first two.  But without the stealth build, I was taking too much needless damage and not able to control my engagements.  Yes, Yamato needs to keep pumping the 460mm shells out all the time, but there are occasions when you NEED to break contact and save the ship to recover, and fight again a bit later.  It's hard to do that with 15.7km detection at Tier X and when you're on fire.

Now, I wholeheartedly recommend CE first as it makes life so much more easy.  Whether you do Secondaries, Survival Build on top of your Stealth Build, I don't care, but CE is immensely useful to Yamato.  Life is so much more smoother.  When I implemented the Stealth Build on Yamato, it became less stressful.

Edit again:  Another reason to implement a Stealth Build on Yamato?  Everyone likes to shoot at her.

giphy.webp

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[O_O]
Members
735 posts
6,241 battles
24 minutes ago, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

I have the Musashi and the first 4 point Captain skill I got was fire protection. After a couple games of having three or four fires going at once. It pushed me to that direction. I usually sail close to the front and brawl, so it helps having a maximum of two fires at once limit.

i agree, Musashi ...well all my BBs always come under "FIRE"...that wont stop.  but then again... the next think i worry about in Big [edited]BB with slow main gun transverse or loading time...i other ship the that, especially, ones with torps that come to close.  in most case...my secondaries have saved my [edited]with threats like that that come to close to comfort. 

Therefore...i make my build priorities that can help with my Secondaries and fire/flooding and damg control. 

a lot of you say CE...why?  once you fire them big [edited]gun...you will be seen from all the way on the opposite side of the map, so i think CE is a redundant choice.  if you do choice it...what are you going to do...not fire your guns at all?   

Members
1,152 posts
3,141 battles

I've used concealment since I got yammy so I can't speak for FP personally, and I do intend to get FP as my 19th, but concealment has been good so far. I like the ability to disappear and reposition every now and then. 

Members
1,157 posts
6,936 battles

CE or FP are your best bets as a yammy.   You will want the concealment to break off if needed and to suprise people because they didnt know you were there.

FP because HE spam is crazy in the high tiers.   If you dont have it, you will be on fire, and on fire in many places constantly. 

[DRACS]
Members
3,504 posts

CE without a doubt. Unlike the rest of the line, Yamato's concealment is actually pretty decent. And the best way for that ship to do damage is to fire a broadside at a target that didn't even know it was there. Once you're spotted, everyone on that flank will do their best to be elsewhere as Yamato's guns have a scary reputation.

Also, since Yamato's sides are ultra squishy, if you ever need to disengage, you really want to do that from stealth.

[WOLFB]
Members
1,732 posts
8,284 battles

CE first. You can't be shot at if no one is spotting you. Then FP. 

[WOLF5]
Members
1,538 posts
2,143 battles

CE. They should really make it a base skill like they did with the detection icon because almost every ship in the game requires it. People can't set you on fire if they can't see you. However, you're going to want FP pretty quick.

Fun fact. Concealment Yammy is sneakier than concealment Moskva. CA my a$$, it's essentially a BB.

Beta Testers
400 posts
9,366 battles

It's funny, I see a lot of guys saying to take FP but I don't use it on any of my BB's and rarely get more than 2 fires at once. AFT seems far more useful to me, particularly if you use a survivabilty build.

Sign in to follow this