You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ducky_shot

WG should have considered getting someone who knew anything about hockey to deal with their hockey marketing

91 comments in this topic

[BIAS]
Members
3,158 posts
9,299 battles

So there will be a new temporary achievement in game related to hockey: 

One little problem: there is no such thing as a 4 goal haul in hockey. None, nada, zip, nothing. 

The only term referring to multiple goals in hockey is a hat trick. (and perhaps a rat trick if you play for Florida) 

From my research, a "haul" is a football/soccer term. 

Clearly whoever came up with this does not have the first clue about hockey. Unless it is used in Russia only?? 

If they wanted to do a hockey term, It should have been hat trick for 3 kills. 

Screenshot_20181004-112955.png

Edited by Ducky_shot
  • Cool 5
  • Funny 2
  • Bad 1

[-K-]
[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,779 posts
6,788 battles
17 minutes ago, Ducky_shot said:

One little problem: there is no such thing as a 4 goal haul in hockey. None, nada, zip, nothing. 

Clearly whoever came up with this does not have the first clue about hockey. Unless it is used in Russia only?? 

It's not used in Russia, at least not to my knowledge. The term "poker" is sometimes used to describe four goals by the same player (example), but its not at all common. Most people just know of "hat trick" when it comes to multiple goal descriptions. 

Members
733 posts

maybe its a term used outside north America, after all ice hockey is played in many other places as a popular sport.

• Boring 1
  • Bad 2

[KRAB]
Members
615 posts
6,083 battles

It really should be "Hat Trick" for 3 goals - even in international play that is the primary term for multiple goal scorers. 

They could have a "Mario Lemieux Kraken" for (pick any 5) a kill with the main battery, a kill with the secondary battery, a kill by fire, a kill by flooding, a kill by torpedo and a kill by ramming.

[SUCIT]
Members
848 posts
3,657 battles

I'd have much rather seen a Gordy Howe Hat Trick for getting kills in miscellaneous ways.  

• Cool 3
  • Funny 1

[KRAB]
Members
615 posts
6,083 battles
1 minute ago, XpliCT_ said:

I'd have much rather seen a Gordy Howe Hat Trick for getting kills in miscellaneous ways.  

That would be a kill, having a teammate kill something you were spotting and taking damage from a ship you have hit. 

[BTH]
Beta Testers
198 posts
4,672 battles

I am awaiting the next announcement, a new Russian captain called "Ovech Alexkin".

Members
220 posts
7,619 battles

Let's face it brohans, after Sputnik it's been pretty much all downhill.

• Funny 1

[-K-]
[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,779 posts
6,788 battles
8 minutes ago, Pytheas said:

Let's face it brohans, after Sputnik it's been pretty much all downhill.

Gagarin was pretty exciting, no?

[BIAS]
Members
3,158 posts
9,299 battles
41 minutes ago, b101uk said:

maybe its a term used outside north America, after all ice hockey is played in many other places as a popular sport.

No, I looked it up multiple places.  Also, with the amount of overseas players in the NHL, terms like that would start to slip into the culture.

[BIAS]
Members
3,158 posts
9,299 battles
25 minutes ago, LukeV said:

I am awaiting the next announcement, a new Russian captain called "Ovech Alexkin".

Did you miss the announcement that he's coming into the game with his full real name??

[SYJ]
[SYJ]
Members
918 posts
2,119 battles

I mean the whole event seems kind corny... like blitz level uselessness. 

But whatever gets you yo partner with someone fsmou$ right?

[WOLF5]
Members
1,543 posts
2,154 battles

Well, all I know is that when I saw an email about Ovechkin in battle I thought it was a new premium Russian ship:Smile_amazed:

While I'm not a huge hockey fan, I do follow the sport a bit, and I agree, a "haul" isn't a term I've ever heard applied to hocky. Hat-trick all the time, but that's about it. My guess is the marketing team said "hey, let's have a new achievement for this guy, it's like a kraken but only 4 ships. What's a hockey term that matches?" Some other guy "Um, well there's a hat-trick, but that's three, can we do that?" "No, too easy, but isn't a haul four?", "Yeah, but that's soccer, not hockey." "Doesn't matter, no one will notice anyway." 

• Funny 4

[BIAS]
Members
3,158 posts
9,299 battles
1 minute ago, AJTP89 said:

Well, all I know is that when I saw an email about Ovechkin in battle I thought it was a new premium Russian ship:Smile_amazed:

While I'm not a huge hockey fan, I do follow the sport a bit, and I agree, a "haul" isn't a term I've ever heard applied to hocky. Hat-trick all the time, but that's about it. My guess is the marketing team said "hey, let's have a new achievement for this guy, it's like a kraken but only 4 ships. What's a hockey term that matches?" Some other guy "Um, well there's a hat-trick, but that's three, can we do that?" "No, too easy, but isn't a haul four?", "Yeah, but that's soccer, not hockey." "Doesn't matter, no one will notice anyway." 

I suspect you are probably a lot closer to the truth than WG would care to admit.

Members
220 posts
7,619 battles
14 minutes ago, vak_ said:

Gagarin was pretty exciting, no?

Hi vak_ that's a very good point I discounted him and I guess I usually do brohan because that was only meaningful for a few weeks nevertheless it was certainly a milestone but I just think if you asked any American official back then they would say Sputnik was the peak since they more or less smoked the Americans regarding the space race.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
2,574 posts
37 minutes ago, XpliCT_ said:

^  This. 

[WOLFB]
[WOLFB]
Members
80 posts
5,413 battles

I remember my first 4-haul...

Following the red card, I was at the free throw line (par 4) with 2 balls and 2 strikes, when the center snapped the ball and bullseye!  Right past the goalie and into the corner pocket.  I even made the extra point! 

Good times...

• Cool 1
  • Funny 6

[OPG]
Supertester
1,906 posts
10,315 battles
1 hour ago, Ducky_shot said:

So there will be a new temporary achievement in game related to hockey: 

The only term referring to multiple goals in hockey is a hat trick. (and perhaps a rat trick if you play for Florida) 

From my research, a "haul" is a football/soccer term. 

If they wanted to do a hockey term, It should have been hat trick for 3 kills. 

Screenshot_20181004-112955.png

Yeah I live for hockey most of my life.   I have traveled for hockey to many nations including Russia.  I have several Russian friends and family members who live in multiple different Russian cities and are into hockey and we regularly banter back and forth online about hockey.   I used to work for MSG (you know, a very small name arena) in the hockey-world), and several of my former colleagues that I remained friends still work for various NHL teams.  Including one who works with the US Olympic Hockey teams and has been to the Russian winter games and world championships.   

Nope, no such term.  In fact while 4 goals in a game is impressive, the real bar setting metric after a hat-trick is 5 goals.   So much so it has its own wiki page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_players_with_five_or_more_goals_in_an_NHL_game

If they were trying to make a difficult unique multi-kill achievement, a double-hat trick (6-kill game) would have been it.  If they wanted a hockey themed term, 3-kill game (Hat-Trick) would be it.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
1,332 posts
3,591 battles

Hockey doesn't relate to ships that well surely wargaming could have adopted a watersport of some kind or naval exercise that would better relate to marketing the game over hockey.

[WOLF9]
Members
1,110 posts
53 minutes ago, XpliCT_ said:

Technically I think a Gordy Howe Hat Trick would be a kill, damage to a ship someone else kills, and a chat ban.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2

[BIAS]
Members
3,158 posts
9,299 battles
5 minutes ago, Fruta_mala said:

I remember my first 4-haul...

Following the red card, I was at the free throw line (par 4) with 2 balls and 2 strikes, when the center snapped the ball and bullseye!  Right past the goalie and into the corner pocket.  I even made the extra point! 

Good times...

You didn't have a fault on your first serve? 

• Funny 1

[OPG]
Supertester
1,906 posts
10,315 battles

Also on a side-note, if they really wanted to have fun with the theme, they could have gone for several hockey termed achievements:

• The Empty Netter = Kill (secure) an enemy by scoring a MB/DB/TB/Torp/Ram hit when that ship is already about to sink on the next tick due to fire/flood damage 
  • Short-Handed = Win a game when the surviving ships on your team are outnumbered by surviving enemy ships
  • Power-Play = Win a game against a team that has an AFK
  • Off-Sides = Get sunk while you are inside an enemy base cap
  • Hockey Smile = Have a Main Battery Turret permanently destroyed
  • Face-off = Engage an enemy ship while you are both inside a neutral cap
  • Boarding = Kill an enemy ship while it is border-humping
  • Goalie-Fight = As a CV engage an enemy CV with secondaries and/or a Ram (for ships without secondaries)
  • Own-Goal = Damage a Teammate
  • Goon = Sink an enemy while they are actively damaging a teammate who is capping
  • Icing = Shooting at enemies from the back of the map
  • Light-the-Lamp = Sink an enemy by fire
Edited by SyndicatedINC
  • Cool 14

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
2,574 posts
5 minutes ago, Doombeagle said:

Technically I think a Gordy Howe Hat Trick would be a kill, damage to a ship someone else kills, and a chat ban.

Yeap.

(For those who don't know, the real Gordie Howe Hat Trick in hockey is a Goal, an Assist, and a Penalty.)

• Cool 1