You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
MaxL_1023

Tier 7 Plating Thickness Discussion Thread

9 comments in this topic

[KRAB]
Members
615 posts
6,003 battles

Currently, tier 7 Battleships have 25mm extremity plating - the same as their tier 6 counterparts. Most Tier 7 Cruisers (CA/CL) have 16mm plating, with a few Heavy Cruisers (CA) carrying 19m or 25mm. I believe that this particular choice leaves too large a gap between tier 7 and 8 ships, which for Battleships increase to 32mm plating and CAs carry 25-27mm plating. 

I suggest the following change:

Tier 7 Battleships -> 27mm extremity plating. This will have no significant effect on HE resistance (150mm IFHE pens 32mm, non-IFHE shatters on 25mm), but protect them from being overmatched by 380mm caliber guns found on many Tier 6-9 Battleships. Now, there is a more incremental increase in protection. Tier 6 is vulnerable to 380mm, Tier 7 is now overmatched by 406mm and Tier 8 reaches the maximum of immunity to all but the Yamato/Musashi and their 460mm guns. This will have little effect on tier 7 vs tier 5 (which all have 356mm guns or smaller) and a slight effect on tier 6 (Bayern and QE/Warspite will be slightly less effective against tier 7 Battleships so might need a very slight buff). Tier 8 and 9 ships will not be significantly affected - the few with 380mm guns are more than capable of overpowering them by other means and are already balanced around this limitation. The goal is to linearize the tier 6-8 power progression in such a way as to maintain the balance in 5-7 and improve the survivability of Tier 7 in the 7-9 range. 

Tier 7 Cruisers -> 25mm midships and deck plating (for those without it) and 19mm bow/stern plating.  Basically, some tier 7 cruisers (especially CLs) are a little too vulnerable to being overmatched by all battleships. This change would give them some protection against 356mm armed battleships common at tiers 5-7. The gap between tier 7 and 8 cruisers is a bit too large. Tier 6 cruisers might also need this change, as they are currently crushed by both tier 7 and tier 8 counterparts. 

Essentially, increase the survivability of tier 7 ships slightly, and place an intermediate step between the tier 6 and tier 8 protection paradigm. 

Additional possibilities:

Tier 5 BB -> 25mm

Tier 5 CA/CL -> 16mm (Cruisers shouldn't overmatch each other)

Thoughts?

Edited by MaxL_1023
  • Cool 1

[MIA-A]
Members
2,094 posts
6,725 battles

Until T7 matchmaking changes, I don't really see a reason to buff T7 ships in general. The are top tier in T5 games pretty often.

• Cool 1

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,866 posts
5,255 battles

No, this would have a significant effect on secondary boats for those tiers, for no appreciable improvement in gameplay.

[RNG]
Members
269 posts
2,502 battles

I think the idea for battleship armor changes is good, but 25mm on CL's is too much.  Part of the defining characteristics of CL's is their inability to negate damage, which they exchange for high dpm or something.  It could work for specific underpowered cruisers who don't get the utility they sacrifice armor for, but I disagree with it as a global change.

Maybe a buff to the plating on heavy cruisers that have lower armor could work, I've been having frustration with the balt's inability to angle despite being a heavy cruiser.

[KRAB]
Members
615 posts
6,003 battles
50 minutes ago, TheDreadnought said:

No, this would have a significant effect on secondary boats for those tiers, for no appreciable improvement in gameplay.

How would if affect secondaries? 150mm shatters on 25mm, German 105mm does not have 1/4 pen (so shatters on everything) and German 128mm/150mm would pen 27mm easily. 

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,866 posts
5,255 battles
6 minutes ago, MaxL_1023 said:

How would if affect secondaries? 150mm shatters on 25mm, German 105mm does not have 1/4 pen (so shatters on everything) and German 128mm/150mm would pen 27mm easily. 

I don't think U.S. 127mm with IFHE would pen 27mm, would it?  That's a HUGE nerf to Massachusetts and other secondary focused battleship builds.  Not to mention U.S. DDs.

[KRAB]
Members
615 posts
6,003 battles
32 minutes ago, TheDreadnought said:

I don't think U.S. 127mm with IFHE would pen 27mm, would it?  That's a HUGE nerf to Massachusetts and other secondary focused battleship builds.  Not to mention U.S. DDs.

127/6 * 1.3 = 27.51mm. They would still pen 27mm. Also, almost nobody runs IFHE on DDs. 

Edited by MaxL_1023

Members
16,038 posts
14,407 battles

Tier VII regularly stomps on Tier V & VI to a point that it's a primary feature of the tier, I see no reason to buff Tier VII like this.

To further lend credence to this, Tier VII is home to one of the most severely broken, unbalanced tiers in the game.

The only things that should happen with Tier VII are to nerf the overperformers.  There's too many broken ships here.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[BOTES]
Members
1,919 posts
6,651 battles
2 hours ago, enderland07 said:

Until T7 matchmaking changes, I don't really see a reason to buff T7 ships in general. The are top tier in T5 games pretty often.

Source? Because T7 is the second most played tier and the population distribution doesn't fit your claim.

T8 is more populated than T7. T9 drags people up because it isn't very popular due to the game economy (most people can't afford to play it without grinding for silver) and it has preferential MM (+1/-2). T5-6 are still popular, but are relatively unpopulated compare to T7-8. When there's more people above you and fewer people below you, you get uptiered more, not less.

Edited by awildseaking