Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Willy55_1955

Shimakaze Legendary - The Math Doesn't Add Up

19 comments in this topic

[ONAVY]
[ONAVY]
Members
315 posts
9,954 battles

Well, I finally got the Shima Legendary upgrade. After installing it my torpedo tube rotation went from 7.2 seconds to north of 30 seconds.

The tube rotation penalty is -80%.

If I add 80% of 7.2 (5.76) I get 12.96 seconds tube traverse.

30 second turret traverse is about a 320% increase over the 7.2 seconds.

Members
220 posts
7,619 battles

I think the math is 7.2 * 5 (which is 7.2 / .2)  which is where they get their 80% penalty. I'll tell you this brohan that as soon as I saw those numbers and knowing the way I drive which is zigzaggy all over the place I knew there is very little chance that mod would be helpful to me so I never loaded it. Sorry to hear about your frustrations with it brohan best of luck.

[TBOW]
Members
1,261 posts
10,726 battles

Those number might be based on the baseline numbers not including all other Mods.

[BIAS]
Members
3,156 posts
9,299 battles

It's going to be kind of backwards, because you aren't measuring the 180 time and going off of that. 

You are decreasing the degs per second by 80%. The rotation speed is 25 deg per second stock. If you decrease that by 80% then your speed is only 5 deg per second, 180 time is then 36 seconds. 

It gets confusing because it's not a decimal based number, it's degs, which are at a factor of 360.

Edited by Ducky_shot
  • Cool 2

[ONAVY]
[ONAVY]
Members
315 posts
9,954 battles
4 minutes ago, GrimmeReaper said:

Those number might be based on the baseline numbers not including all other Mods.

Took the stock 7.2 rotation from the Global Wiki.

[PVE]
Members
9,889 posts
7,492 battles
19 minutes ago, Willy55_1955 said:

Well, I finally got the Shima Legendary upgrade. After installing it my torpedo tube rotation went from 7.2 seconds to north of 30 seconds.

Ninja'd, but I will show the math.

The Shimakaze torp traverse is 25 deg per sec.  25 * .2 (80% off) is 5 deg per sec. 180 deg divided by 5 is 36 sec. With Aiming systems mod, you can get that to 30 sec.

See this thread for more on the Shima UU.

master list of all the UU

Members
292 posts
29 minutes ago, Willy55_1955 said:

does anyone have a wiki link to somewhere where there is a list of all these 'legendary' upgrades? I haven never seen or heard of them until I came back to the game 3 weeks ago.

*edit* well just found the list I askedt I asked for right  above so nvm about that. I still don't know how you get these though? Crates like rare upgrades?

Edited by TheLastReaper

[PVE]
Members
9,889 posts
7,492 battles
1 minute ago, TheLastReaper said:

does anyone have a wiki link to somewhere where there is a list of all these 'legendary' upgrades? I haven never seen or heard of them until I came back to the game 3 weeks ago.

Here is the upgrade wiki article.

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Upgrades

The first ones are the normal ones in game.

The second set is the special upgrades you used to get in Super Containers. Now they are for sale in the Arsenal for 17k coal each. There is a coupon, that is refreshed every patch, for -25% off on special upgrades, so you can get one per patch at 12,750 coal.

The third set is the Unique Upgrades. WG devs have said that the UU do not have an end date and the date in the mission is a place holder. It will be changed at the end of the year to the end of next year and so on. New T10s will get a UU as well, but WG needs to wait a few months to see what the main playstyle is and then balance an alternate playstyle.

If you go to the Master thread I posted above, I have done the math on all the current UU and the other upgrades in that slot, so you can more easily compare them.

[1NJS]
Members
33 posts
4,701 battles

Yea, I also wasted my time doing that personal mission.    Had WG explained how they do the math (because it is vastly different from how they explained it in game) I would never have bothered.

Being expected to go to 3 different forums and 9 blog sites, 7 wiki pages and 4 hours of discord conferences for explanation has NOTHING to do with the game.

Edited by Squib_Surefire

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,462 posts
3,875 battles

The mod is pretty trash in general. The benefits do not outweigh the downsides by any means.

[RKN]
Beta Testers
1,017 posts
9,102 battles

Treat the tubes as cruiser or battleship guns. You need to think ahead of the ship and preposition them on the side you need.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
1,341 posts
14,874 battles
38 minutes ago, Squib_Surefire said:

Yea, I also wasted my time doing that personal mission.    Had WG explained how they do the math (because it is vastly different from how they explained it in game) I would never have bothered,

Well, honestly, what would you have done differently?  I am grinding every one of the missions as I play each of my T10s.  Not in a hurry for any of them but when they show, will be interesting.

[-RNG-]
[-RNG-]
Beta Testers
233 posts
2,500 battles
4 hours ago, SavageTactical said:

Treat the tubes as cruiser or battleship guns. You need to think ahead of the ship and preposition them on the side you need.

Doesn't really, work, tubes don't really aim right when you switch from one to another, they have to jump. Usually it's a fraction of a second, which is fine, but when they become turret rotations speeds it wreaks havoc on your spread spacing. 

Edit: Also a problem in close quarters combat, where the shima only has its torpedoes.

Edited by PG908
Added more information.

[CVA16]
Members
2,313 posts
9,900 battles

And I thought the Mod for the Henri had a HUGE downside...

Does anyone run this mod on purpose?

[RKN]
Beta Testers
1,017 posts
9,102 battles
1 hour ago, PG908 said:

Doesn't really, work, tubes don't really aim right when you switch from one to another, they have to jump. Usually it's a fraction of a second, which is fine, but when they become turret rotations speeds it wreaks havoc on your spread spacing. 

Yes the jump is exaggerated with this mod, but your comment doesn’t invalidate the technic I suggested to migigate the slow traverse speed. 

Members
220 posts
7,619 battles
3 minutes ago, SavageTactical said:

Yes the jump is exaggerated with this mod, but your comment doesn’t invalidate the technic I suggested to migigate the slow traverse speed. 

Maybe you can show us some replays of you doing it what do you think brohan because I've played a few shimakaze games and I'm not a buyer but that's just me thanks for reading.

[1NJS]
Members
33 posts
4,701 battles
19 hours ago, Warped_1 said:

Well, honestly, what would you have done differently?  I am grinding every one of the missions as I play each of my T10s.  Not in a hurry for any of them but when they show, will be interesting.

Fair point, perhaps I should have rather said:

"I would rather not have played only T10 to unlock the module.    Had WG explained how they do the math (because it is vastly different from how they explained it in game) I would have played as I normally would have and ignored the module when it unlocked"

Sign in to follow this