You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Lert

Sometimes we take for granted just how massive the guns we play with are

66 comments in this topic

[HINON]
Supertester
19,207 posts
12,733 battles

Here's a measly, puny, pitiful little 75mm, barely worth mentioning.

• Cool 6

[ENDVR]
Members
410 posts
5,326 battles

Can’t wait to visit Missouri on my first museum ship trip in the next couple of years.  My 7 year old will probably gush at the sheer scale compared to how the game feels.

[OO7]
[OO7]
Members
1,621 posts
5,949 battles

Players underestimate guns, while we devs underestimate our own superb abilities.

[ARGSY]
Members
6,293 posts
4,243 battles
3 minutes ago, SmokeHenge said:

My 7 year old will probably gush at the sheer scale compared to how the game feels.

I took Master then-seven and Miss then-six to see HMAS Vampire last year. They had a wow of a time, especially little Miss, who loves bats for some reason. 

One of these days I will be able to show them a Daring in my in-game port. We will probably be back for another visit to the Vampire before that, just to drive the point home (pun intended).

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[POP]
Members
596 posts
11,981 battles

Apparently the knowledge is out there, bathroom walls are rife with it. Who are these people with this knowledge that evades the common man, and what else can they tell us?

Members
1,781 posts
795 battles
9 minutes ago, SmokeHenge said:

Can’t wait to visit Missouri on my first museum ship trip in the next couple of years.  My 7 year old will probably gush at the sheer scale compared to how the game feels.

After visiting the Missouri and seeing those shells (we weren't allowed in the turrets) I was amazed and horrified by the damage that they would be able to do.

[VFW]
Beta Testers
50 posts
2,413 battles

I spent most of my time in the US Army in field artillery. We had the M-109A4's and 5's. Paladins were just coming into widespread service when I was leaving. Those are puny 155mm guns or 6" guns. When we were shooting charge 7 white bags, wow! You really cannot appreciate the force of these pieces without being in person. Video gives them no justice what so ever! 

Members
868 posts
10 battles
5 minutes ago, DrHolmes52 said:

After visiting the Missouri and seeing those shells (we weren't allowed in the turrets) I was amazed and horrified by the damage that they would be able to do.

Well according to this game all you would need is 32mm of armor in front of you and you will be fine.

Members
1,781 posts
795 battles
Just now, UssIowaSailor said:

Well according to this game all you would need is 32mm of armor in front of you and you will be fine.

Hence the word game.

When we visited, my wife said I was drooling on the mechanical computer.

[TBOW]
Members
1,252 posts
10,669 battles
23 minutes ago, SmokeHenge said:

You will enjoy it a lot.. I mean a lot.

[KNTAI]
Beta Testers
1,273 posts
9,462 battles
23 minutes ago, SmokeHenge said:

I played a concert on Missouri some years back for veterans day, and the turrets are the size of a house, you won't be let down. Even the Oerlkons are about the size of pogo-sticks!

[HINON]
Members
2,267 posts
6,330 battles

Or how far they can shoot... this is a map showing how much of Brisbane that HMAS DIAMANTINA can hit with her 2x4 inch guns from her drydock at Southbank.

r0ek2Gl.jpg

TIWKYHX.jpg

mfn2akh.jpg

[KNTAI]
Beta Testers
1,273 posts
9,462 battles
5 minutes ago, 212thAttackBattalion said:

Or how far they can shoot... this is a map showing how much of Brisbane that HMAS DIAMANTINA can hit with her 2x4 inch guns from her drydock at Southbank.

Indeed, ships in game are scaled to roughly 200% size, but often are not close to their real life equivalent firing range capabilities. Most ships in the mid to upper tiers can shoot far enough that the shells wold seem to come 'from the sky' like bombs, with the ship not even in view. Cool pictures by the way!

Edited by Battleship_lowa

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,405 posts
9,562 battles

The concussion wave rips right through you. Feels like being dropped on concrete from around 3 feet.

Members
868 posts
10 battles
16 minutes ago, DrHolmes52 said:

Hence the word game.

When we visited, my wife said I was drooling on the mechanical computer.

Did you know the MK-8 could develop a firing solution and keep it updated in real time. Meaning the ship could do figure 8's and still land accurate fire on the target. The MK-8 kept track of how many shots had been fired through each barrel sine the last time they were relined so it could calculate wear and tear into the firing solution. The MK-8 could account for factors like temperature, wind speed, barometric pressure, temperature of the powder, and sea state. Perhaps two of my favorite variables are it could correct for both the curvature of the earth and it's rotation. I love beating flat earth believers over the head with those just to make them squirm lol.  The MK-8 was so good that it made fighting the Japanese the equivalent of a WW2 infantry soldier armed with a Thompson sub machine gun fighting guys with bows and arrows. 

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
5,064 posts
6,754 battles

i dont, ive seen how big the 16 inch guns are on North Carolina, i havent seen the size of the gun of the Yamato and Musashi with my own eyes, but logic dictates that theyre much bigger than the ones on North Carolina, but my mind isnt able to make up thee image of seeing them in real life, maybe some day i can go to that Yamato museum and see it, iirc, they have one of the guns from either Yamato or Musashi there, but as they are, we can only imagine what it must have felt and looked like to be on those ships when those big guns fired

Edited by tcbaker777

[WOLF2]
Members
890 posts
7,214 battles
36 minutes ago, DrHolmes52 said:

Same.

I did visit the Alabama a few years back, and they had a set of turrets open.   That was very cool climbing into the housing, and amazed how many people they fit in there.   And doubly-amazed at the tiny loading room, where the shells came up.  Looked like a closet.    I could only imagine the heat, the waves, the shell impacts, and stuck in this little room, full of smoke and gun powder.    It was hot and stuffy during our visit, and we were docked and they had an A/C unit running inside.

Brave sailors all.   o7

[WOLF8]
[WOLF8]
Members
46 posts
2,651 battles

Having toured the "Mighty Mo" during its time in Bremerton, I also was amazed at the sheer size of the shells and what damage they could do. Its a little surreal to actually play a ship I have stood on.

Members
1,458 posts
12,318 battles

Was aboard the New Jersey during the 1980s and the power of the 16 inch guns was terrifying. Was an incredible experience 

[TOG]
Members
2,484 posts
14,963 battles

Stand behind an M1A1 firing it's 105's and you can feel the blast wave pound your chest (and ear drums even with hearing protection). Visited the 'Bama in Mobile some years back and 16 inch barrels are impressive.  

[KNTAI]
Beta Testers
1,273 posts
9,462 battles
1 minute ago, Bill_Halsey said:

Stand behind an M1A1 firing it's 105's and you can feel the blast wave pound your chest (and ear drums even with hearing protection). Visited the 'Bama in Mobile some years back and 16 inch barrels are impressive.  

The reason the Iowas didn't carry even more missiles and modern weaponry in the refit was because it was limited to certain systems being installed in certain areas, the blast wave from the main guns was capable of knocking some more modern systems offline or even destroying them.

"At one point, the NATO Sea Sparrow was to be installed on the reactivated battleships; however, it was determined that the system could not withstand the overpressure effects from firing the main battery."

[INTEL]
Members
6,661 posts
25,715 battles

Those are puny compared to Iowa's

D70_7576-copy-L.jpg

D70_7581-copy-L.jpg

[ICE9]
Members
821 posts

I had the joy of watching USS Saint Paul (CA-73) on the gunline off Vietnam back in '68.

All we could say when she ripple-fired all 9 guns was...wow. Just wow.

proxy.duckduckgo.com.jpg

[INTEL]
Members
645 posts
7,559 battles
58 minutes ago, 212thAttackBattalion said:

I had forgotten I visited the DIAMANTINA when I was working in Brisbane.  Thanks for the reminder and the pictures!