You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
saitamsasac

Gearing is being forgotten about

17 comments in this topic

[5D4]
Members
3 posts
7,082 battles

The Gearing is being forgotten and outclassed. Its current abilities are the long smoke duration, low detectability with the legendary upgrade, short fuse AP, and long range torpedoes. However, its base health pool is one of the lowest among the destroyers, the player is forced to choose between defensive fire and speed boost, it is slow relative to other destroyers. The Grozovoi has a base health that is 1500 points higher than the Gearing and, it has a repair party, smoke, defensive fire and speed boost all of which the player can have at the same time. Not only does this ship have these bonuses, it has shells with a very high velocity and low detectability. Its understandable that the Khabarovsk has a repair party being a long range gun boat but, the player loses the smoke screen. The Gearing is simply out classed by its gun capabilities and health pool. The Yeuyang faces a similar situation as the Gearing, it is also outclassed because its armament cannot compete with that of the Harugumo, Khabarovsk, or Grozovoi. The Yeuyang cannot use torpedoes against destroyers so its guns are its only defense. The age of the American destroyer line is showing, it simply does not have the health or regeneration capabilities to effectively combat other destroyers. Not mention, why force Gearing players to choose between Speed boost and defensive fire when CVs aren't frequently played? A Gearing player will more likely choose to have speed boost rather defensive fire because the ship is already so slow. This decision to have what was once a unique ability to the American Destroyer line is basically not beneficial because the ship is outgunned and out ran by so many ships. Many active World of Warships players I know don't care to even grind the line. Gearing needs a buff.  

-       [5D4] saitamsasac

Members
473 posts
12,505 battles

Any DD thread that complains about a DD being power crept that is NOT about IJN tech tree torp boats (not the dakka dakka boats) is missing something....

• Cool 1
  • Bad 2

[ICBM]
Members
346 posts
5,137 battles

Harugumo is big and slow and easy to torp. It's the daring that's really gonna crap on gearing with its maneuverability, smoke on demand, heal, and (yep you guessed it) defensive hydro. THAT is going rain on gearing's parade. 

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,473 posts
8,148 battles
38 minutes ago, Prothall said:

Any DD thread that complains about a DD being power crept that is NOT about IJN tech tree torp boats (not the dakka dakka boats) is missing something....

Maybe it's me, but that's not a power creep issue, that's an over nerf issue. They made the spotted range of torps too high and out of sync with similar systems the other nations have. Give them back a proper spotting range, like on Fujin, Kami/Kami R - and the results speak for themselves as the ship that was once "inadequate, and not worth the loss in torp range" is now considered OP. Even though it leaves roughly the same reaction time as other ship torps. 

Truth be told BOTH starter lines are showing their age. Over nerfing of IJN is a relic of days when Atlanta, Belfast, and a couple other ships were the only ones with Radar, when the number of Hydro ships was only slightly higher. When IJN torp line was the only other DD line, USN DD's were fine, but with other gunboats getting flatter arcs, no stealth fire in open water, and the fact CV's are so screwed up few are playing them cause they are feast or famine making AA near irrelevant, are falling by the way side a bit, especially with newer gun ships that are coming out. Then again, while it's had some new life brought to it with the split, USN cruisers were really starting to show their age, as are IJN to an extent. And both BB lines, especially USN are showing their age - AA is supposed to be their thing yet are frequently outclassed. For all the "WV 44 would be too much better than CO so make it tier 8", I think it's more a case of "No, it's been 4 years and while the B hull is either CO's 44 upgrade or Marylands post Kamikaze hit upgrade, but missing several AA guns and possibly system upgrades like fire control, and it's time to give them the full upgrades"

They've held on well for 4 years, but the creep is catching up to USN and IJN, even Germany to an extent though part of that is the IFHE meta. 

[TOG]
Members
2,492 posts
15,057 battles

I've gotten the Gearing legendary mod and I'm doing good with it in Random, either in torpboat or gunboat build. The current iteration of the Daring only has hydro 200m range further out than the detection range w/o it.  114mm vs 127 mm shells. So DPM is not going to be issue for a Daring vs Gearing fight. The biggest issue for me is the Repair Party.. Stack it with the dreadnought flag  and SE expert. Focused fire against the Gearing may not be enough. just look at the Kidd.

[TASH]
Members
5,016 posts
8,168 battles

Gearing is fine as it is, at least in randoms.

In competitive Yue Yang overshadows it.

[TOG]
Members
2,492 posts
15,057 battles
48 minutes ago, WanderingGhost said:

Maybe it's me, but that's not a power creep issue, that's an over nerf issue. They made the spotted range of torps too high and out of sync with similar systems the other nations have. Give them back a proper spotting range, like on Fujin, Kami/Kami R - and the results speak for themselves as the ship that was once "inadequate, and not worth the loss in torp range" is now considered OP. Even though it leaves roughly the same reaction time as other ship torps. 

You have to had it to WG's marketing department. Nerf the stock ships and bring out premiums that has the original specifications. No one can blame them of power creep and P2W.

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,473 posts
8,148 battles
6 minutes ago, Bill_Halsey said:

You have to had it to WG's marketing department. Nerf the stock ships and bring out premiums that has the original specifications. No one can blame them of power creep and P2W.

Except that's not what they did, when they did the nerf they actually pulled the Kami clones from sale, as they had existed as an alternate to the Minekaze trading torp range for slightly better gun performance, a trade most didn't want to make. Seeing as back in the day Minekaze had faster 10 km torps compared to what it has now. Even though there has been plenty of demand, they've been retired as the Nikolai, never seen since. Not even the obvious "well it's Halloween so here's Fujin for all the money". 

[AAA]
Members
443 posts
5,500 battles

Hard Pills to Swallow

1. Every ship has strengths and weaknesses. Similarly some captains are really good in some ships and terrible in others

2. Sorry you are struggling in the Gearing, but its the strongest boat I for me. It's rare I have less than 100k in damage. In the age of radars those 16.5 km torps are great. I get tons of blind hits every game. I spot early and stay invisible. When I run into a Shimi that out spots me it's either daka daka time or if there are lots of ca's around smoke and disappear. If a gun boat out guns me like the Russian or IJN gun boat line I out spot them and turn away. Gearing and YueYang remain strong. I like Gearing in randoms and YY in competition with the radar. Wish the YY had 16.5 km torps

[TOG]
Members
2,492 posts
15,057 battles
28 minutes ago, WanderingGhost said:

Except that's not what they did, when they did the nerf they actually pulled the Kami clones from sale, as they had existed as an alternate to the Minekaze trading torp range for slightly better gun performance, a trade most didn't want to make. Seeing as back in the day Minekaze had faster 10 km torps compared to what it has now. Even though there has been plenty of demand, they've been retired as the Nikolai, never seen since. Not even the obvious "well it's Halloween so here's Fujin for all the money". 

See the Alsace and upcoming Burgogne.  They nerfed the ROF on the Alsace. Now they're bringing a T10 premium with the same gunnery specifications as the Alsace. That's what I'm referring to.

The Nicky - I hold the personal record for ship kills on that ship. 7. That's why it's not coming back. the ship is an "I WIN"! button. 

Members
1,751 posts
9,938 battles

There is nothing wrong with Gearing.  There are just a few new boats added that requires thought on how to handle them.

If CVs come back do to the rework Gearing will get a strong buff by proxy by being one of the most reliable DDs in a CV environment.  Look no further than King of the Sea.  Almost any DD is going to be Gearing, less than 10% of the other DDs will be Grozovoy.  One might bring a Yue Yang.

[5D4]
Members
3 posts
7,082 battles

Quite frankly, Gearing is the only ship I care to keep my stats up in. It is the ship I'm assigned to in clan battles because I play well with it. I simply suggest that due to the fact that there are multiple ships coming out with repair parties on top of having more health, the ship needs an HP increase.

On 10/4/2018 at 12:23 PM, wstugamd said:

Hard Pills to Swallow

1. Every ship has strengths and weaknesses. Similarly some captains are really good in some ships and terrible in others

2. Sorry you are struggling in the Gearing, but its the strongest boat I for me. It's rare I have less than 100k in damage. In the age of radars those 16.5 km torps are great. I get tons of blind hits every game. I spot early and stay invisible. When I run into a Shimi that out spots me it's either daka daka time or if there are lots of ca's around smoke and disappear. If a gun boat out guns me like the Russian or IJN gun boat line I out spot them and turn away. Gearing and YueYang remain strong. I like Gearing in randoms and YY in competition with the radar. Wish the YY had 16.5 km torps

[AAA]
Members
443 posts
5,500 battles
1 hour ago, saitamsasac said:

Quite frankly, Gearing is the only ship I care to keep my stats up in. It is the ship I'm assigned to in clan battles because I play well with it. I simply suggest that due to the fact that there are multiple ships coming out with repair parties on top of having more health, the ship needs an HP increase.

You are completely at odds with your first post.

On 10/4/2018 at 10:06 AM, saitamsasac said:

The Gearing is being forgotten and outclassed. Its current abilities are the long smoke duration, low detectability with the legendary upgrade, short fuse AP, and long range torpedoes. However, its base health pool is one of the lowest among the destroyers, the player is forced to choose between defensive fire and speed boost, it is slow relative to other destroyers. The Grozovoi has a base health that is 1500 points higher than the Gearing and, it has a repair party, smoke, defensive fire and speed boost all of which the player can have at the same time. Not only does this ship have these bonuses, it has shells with a very high velocity and low detectability. Its understandable that the Khabarovsk has a repair party being a long range gun boat but, the player loses the smoke screen. The Gearing is simply out classed by its gun capabilities and health pool. The Yeuyang faces a similar situation as the Gearing, it is also outclassed because its armament cannot compete with that of the Harugumo, Khabarovsk, or Grozovoi. The Yeuyang cannot use torpedoes against destroyers so its guns are its only defense. The age of the American destroyer line is showing, it simply does not have the health or regeneration capabilities to effectively combat other destroyers. Not mention, why force Gearing players to choose between Speed boost and defensive fire when CVs aren't frequently played? A Gearing player will more likely choose to have speed boost rather defensive fire because the ship is already so slow. This decision to have what was once a unique ability to the American Destroyer line is basically not beneficial because the ship is outgunned and out ran by so many ships. Many active World of Warships players I know don't care to even grind the line. Gearing needs a buff.  

-       [5D4] saitamsasac

So now it's about clan battles cause you complained about having to choose between speed boost and def AA not something you need not in clan battles.

I too play the Gearing or YueYang in CB exclusively. The only thing that out spots me is a Shimi which can't out gun me, and since clan battles are all about team play, I have CA support where I rarely fire so I can disappear as soon as it's sunk. Quite frankly the Gearing/YueYang are probably the strongest dds for Clan. They have long range torps out side of radar range, great guns albeit short range, great concealment, and smoke to break visual sight. If you drift inside radar range you weren't watching your position.

The American line doesn't need any buffs as they are the kings of the up close daka daka daka. No dd wants to be inside 6-7 km of a USN DD. I think the Fletcher and sisters are as strong if not stronger then the t10s.

Now the Daring might be a contender to take the Gearing/YY crown with it's daka daka guns and concealment plus a repair part it could take the crown, but I'm skeptical of how these guns will perform. But she still doesn't have the long range fire into the channel torps Gearing has.

[PLPT]
Members
642 posts
6,904 battles
On 10/4/2018 at 9:53 AM, Bill_Halsey said:

Now they're bringing a T10 premium with the same gunnery specifications as the Alsace.

But... The Alsace is T9 so what's your point?  Alsace needed the nerf.  A "old-Alsace" premium at T10 isn't powercreeping the T9.

[PLPT]
Members
642 posts
6,904 battles

People forget about the Gearing's smoke due to the prevalence of radar, but it's still just as amazing as always, provided you lay it at 11k from the enemy DM/Worcester.  It's also still great for when you get behind enemy lines or on the flank in open water where there are no radar cruisers.  It's still a valid tactic to sit in smoke raining HE on BB's... from the right positions.  On Mountain Range, for example, you know where the radar cruisers are going to hide in the C-cap. You can go to the 9-10 line and sit in smoke at 11k, dropping rainbow HE on the radar cruiser while torping any BB's that want to push up/down that east flank.  Nothing the cruisers or BB's can do about it...

Edited by n00bot

[TOG]
Members
2,492 posts
15,057 battles
4 minutes ago, n00bot said:

But... The Alsace is T9 so what's your point?  Alsace needed the nerf.  A "old-Alsace" premium at T10 isn't powercreeping the T9.

Eh my bad. Jean Bart is T9. She's a Richelieu with Alsace reload speed. Add the reload booster consumable.

[DRACS]
Members
3,504 posts

Gearing is a jack of all trades that can handle itself well in all situations, even if other boats are better at certain ones than others. The others are specialized. Gearing can do it all.

I do agree that Grozovoi's buffs make it very strong now, but you also gotta remember that it's a massive sluggish boat and will take hits more often that Gearing. Also note that Gearing has a 21mm 'belt', so in gun duals against other DDs, she'll generally take less damage than her peers. Other than Khab of course, but I don't really consider Khab a DD per se ;)

Currently, aside from situations where radar and hydro are involved, Gearing is the king of super close range DD brawls. There's a reason why she's so damn popular in competitive to this day.