Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Jester_of_War

Having fun playing WoWs

24 comments in this topic

[WOLFB]
Members
451 posts
3,836 battles

I just played 6 Random games And it was super fun.

I played the Benson all six games and it was great. This is why I like to play World of Warships: because it's a simple game that is challenging and fun.

5 of the games were close, like it should be. One game was  lopsided (Green Victory), but that's going to happen -- even a slight imbalance of Randomly generated teams can lead to a steamroll. I guess another game was lopsided too, but I was so busy trying to hold on and recover that I didn't mind a crushing defeat -- I was having fun sailing my virtual ship. I do remember being frustrated at the end of one battle, but I just took a deep breath and dove back in. Never looked back and I had a great time.

I never once noticed any negativity in chat. Some players were better than others but that's to be expected -- it's always going to be that way. No one got upset about it and it was fine.

Sometimes I get all caught up completing the Challenges and Directives and Missions and whatever else. But tonight I just I ignored all that and loaded up Type 5 camos because I wasn't playing to grind and I just went out and kicked some butt. In my three Defeats I was 3rd, 2nd and 1st on the Team Score. On the three Victories I was 11th, 10th and 1st. So overall not too bad.

I'm not a particularly good player by any stretch, but I'm putting the effort in to get better and I try to maintain a good attitude and I think this is what I get for it: a couple hours of truly challenging video game play that felt rewarding and fun.

I guess what my point is -- besides myself being stoked to play a free video game -- is that if you just stay focused, work at getting better and have a good attitude, you can have some seriously good clean fun playing this game.

• Cool 33

[CIAO]
[CIAO]
Members
381 posts
18,376 battles

I'm glad you are having a good time playing the game. It seems to me that's why people play games. Of course you want to do your best. If you want to get more replies on your thread you need to complain about the game not complement it.  

• Funny 2

[ARGSY]
Members
6,356 posts
4,288 battles
5 hours ago, Jester_of_War said:

This is what it's all about. 

I had two nailbiters last night. In both, I died before the end - but I also got or stole/secured kills before dying at a point when our side really needed points on the board and enemy ships off it, and my teams thankfully went on to NOT derp the win. I usually exit out immediately and reach for the next ship when my playing time is limited, but not for these - they were great games, and the second in particular would have been epic whoever came out on top. Two in a row is the sort of end to the night's play that keeps me in this game.

• Cool 1

[WOLFB]
Members
451 posts
3,836 battles
1 hour ago, gillhunter said:

If you want to get more replies on your thread you need to complain about the game not complement it.

that made me laugh

And believe me, I follow the Forums and I know what you're saying

Members
161 posts
3,009 battles

I am glad you're enjoying the game.  I am (most days), even when I'm not happy with the direction they are taking the game, I still have fun most days.  I choose random, ranked, OPs, or coop depending on my mood and time restrictions.  I think I'm improving, slowly, but I have found where I play well, and don't usually venture above those tiers for the moment.  Sometimes grinding is fun, especially when I have a goal, or when some event comes along that gets me inspired to play more.  This game has a lot to offer, too often people (me included) look for something to complain about, instead of looking for what works for them and running with that.

[H_]
Members
803 posts

Fun is the metric all games strive for and yet, a vast majority of games can't actually qualify a metric and rely on revenue as a measure of success !  I know, two R&D teams are working on that metric (a process) for a game development curriculum..... 

Have a blast (no pun intended) and write about what you see as "fun"............  Forums are usually gloomy things where all things bad reside.....a paradigm that needs to change ! 

[WGA]
Administrator, Developers
900 posts
5,978 battles
9 hours ago, Jester_of_War said:

I played the Benson all six games and it was great. This is why I like to play World of Warships: because it's a simple game that is challenging and fun.

5 of the games were close, like it should be. One game was  lopsided (Green Victory), but that's going to happen -- even a slight imbalance of Randomly generated teams can lead to a steamroll. I guess another game was lopsided too, but I was so busy trying to hold on and recover that I didn't mind a crushing defeat -- I was having fun sailing my virtual ship. I do remember being frustrated at the end of one battle, but I just took a deep breath and dove back in. Never looked back and I had a great time.

I never once noticed any negativity in chat. Some players were better than others but that's to be expected -- it's always going to be that way. No one got upset about it and it was fine.

Sometimes I get all caught up completing the Challenges and Directives and Missions and whatever else. But tonight I just I ignored all that and loaded up Type 5 camos because I wasn't playing to grind and I just went out and kicked some butt. In my three Defeats I was 3rd, 2nd and 1st on the Team Score. On the three Victories I was 11th, 10th and 1st. So overall not too bad.

I'm not a particularly good player by any stretch, but I'm putting the effort in to get better and I try to maintain a good attitude and I think this is what I get for it: a couple hours of truly challenging video game play that felt rewarding and fun.

I guess what my point is -- besides myself being stoked to play a free video game -- is that if you just stay focused, work at getting better and have a good attitude, you can have some seriously good clean fun playing this game.

Job well done on your victories and above all enjoying joining the rest of the Fleet in battle!

We all go through ups and downs when battling the enemy fleet, but as long as you're having a good time then even if you lose the battle, you're still winning!

Keep up the fun gameplay and see you on the high seas soon!

"If you're not making waves, you're not under weigh!" - Chester Nimitz, US Navy

#anchorsaweigh

• Cool 6

[ICBM]
Members
342 posts
5,121 battles

It's nice to see positive threads like this. Sure, they aren't as interesting as the reality-show throwdowns about BB AP, HE spam, and (dare I say it?) 

RADAR!!!!

But it's good to know there are other people out there having fun. I'm like you, pretty average with a few good games from time to time. What I'd like to know is how those unicum players get so good. It blows my mind the stuff I see people pull and get away with. Then I try it and it's back to portsville for me, baby! lol. 

Good luck and happy hunting.

• Cool 1

[KNTAI]
Beta Testers
1,273 posts
9,462 battles

I'm glad there are others. I haven't been playing as much recently, but that's more due to time then the game, I very rarely do not have fun in WoWs. Every ship is a cool and noble machine.

[PLPT]
Members
637 posts
6,873 battles

People complain so much because they love the game and care about it.  If WoWS were really as bad as rant-threads make it seem, there would be indifference, not rants, and no activity on the forum rather than endless threads about radar.

IMHO it's clearly the best naval game ever by quite some margin, and it's also one of my personal favorite games of any type, ever.  And I've been playing video games since 1980 when you had to type them in from a program listing in a magazine. WoWS is near the top of my list.  It's quickly accessible to new players, but complex enough to take years to master.  You can play in 20 minutes or be absorbed for hours.

Now if we could just get more maps... :cap_win:

• Cool 1

[BLHK]
Members
353 posts
3,456 battles
18 hours ago, n00bot said:

IMHO it's clearly the best naval game ever by quite some margin, and it's also one of my personal favorite games of any type, ever.  And I've been playing video games since 1980 when you had to type them in from a program listing in a magazine. WoWS is near the top of my list.  It's quickly accessible to new players, but complex enough to take years to master.  You can play in 20 minutes or be absorbed for hours.

Now if we could just get more maps... :cap_win:

Visually WOW is about the best naval game I have encountered, however there was a game from the 1990s called 'action stations' it was a sim designed around the war gaming rules the US navy developed in WW2 to test tactics and such. Sadly it never transitioned out of DOS based gaming. The AI was pretty stupid, but the game allowed you to manage things like salvo chasing, counter flooding and general damage.

Accumulative damage is an area WOW has never really put any development into. Your ship can be just as dangerous at full health or with only 1 health point left.

• Cool 1

[PLPT]
Members
637 posts
6,873 battles
1 hour ago, MG1962 said:

Accumulative damage is an area WOW has never really put any development into. Your ship can be just as dangerous at full health or with only 1 health point left.

It’s a playability decision.  If your effectiveness decreases with damage, it causes a greater “snowball” effect. Using the all-or-nothing-alive-or-dead approach smooths things out and gives you more chances to impact the game. Of course there’s still module damage in this game, but they clearly wanted to keep it (mostly) temporary disablement.

• Cool 1

[WOLF2]
Members
893 posts
7,274 battles

I hear ya, and glad you're having fun.    This latest British event has put my butt back into the seat of DDs.    And it's pretty fun!     I haven't played DD in the longest, since my previous tactic was to rush to cap, get spotted, and sink under a hail of gunfire.    When I've hopped back into the DDs, I've re-tooled my gameplay to that of what I've seen good DD players do.    Spotting, anticipating movement, contesting caps, and not getting into point blank gunfights (unless further on in the match).    There's quite an impact you can make not sinking in the first two minutes!

Stats in the DD are acceptable so far.   Derps have been few.   And the challenge of re-learning how to play has been a blast.     Even better when that gameplay makes a difference!

[SF-A]
Beta Testers
302 posts
9,907 battles

As a naval history buff, I love this game, in spite of being a mediocre player (43% WR) since CBT. My vision, reaction time, and multitasking abilities were degraded a couple of decades ago (I'm a 1944 model). I have played almost every night for a couple of hours since then, and do my best to be an asset to my team. I did play N**Y F***D for the 5 years after Beta, and this game was better in CBT then the other one was after 5 years. Damn Well Done WG.

While I know how to play better than my WR shows, I still enjoy playing, in spite of my limited successes.

• Cool 4

[BLHK]
Members
353 posts
3,456 battles
39 minutes ago, n00bot said:

It’s a playability decision.  If your effectiveness decreases with damage, it causes a greater “snowball” effect. Using the all-or-nothing-alive-or-dead approach smooths things out and gives you more chances to impact the game. Of course there’s still module damage in this game, but they clearly wanted to keep it (mostly) temporary disablement.

Yeah I am not complaining about it - Just mentioning a reason why as a naval game WOW lacks somewhat.

The important things with WOW is what you see on the tin, is what is inside the wrapper. It can also be pretty flexible when it comes to the ability level for the player base. You can get into highly competitive clan battle games, or putz around in a tier 1 gunboat blowing bots to oblivion....and still have a ball of fun.

• Cool 1

[VW]
Members
1,946 posts
12,499 battles

The game is fun. I wish they could make an effort with the tiers, it gets boring getting constantly uptiered. In the beginning it makes you learn, true, but after a while its just discouraging when grinding a new line to always be bottom tiered. Being the sole tier 7 dd in a tier 9 cv match for example is just a waste of time, i can still end up in he top 5 but it feels like work, not fun. In general the game is great, that’s a point i would choose to improve.

Edited by monpetitloup

Members
2,503 posts
5,492 battles
5 hours ago, monpetitloup said:

The game is fun. I wish they could make an effort with the tiers, it gets boring getting constantly uptiered. In the beginning it makes you learn, true, but after a while its just discouraging when grinding a new line to always be bottom tiered. Being the sole tier 7 dd in a tier 9 cv match for example is just a waste of time, i can still end up in he top 5 but it feels like work, not fun. In general the game is great, that’s a point i would choose to improve.

WOW KNOWS about the uptier situation as it is discussed quite a lot here.  NOW as to when changes can occur is another story. You will have to pretty much scan the roster of players and decide on which ships should be avoided and choose the ones which offer the best probability for you to challenge.   Just remember that your not alone with this issue even though some will say just get better or thats the way it will always be. As you can see..WOW does change things even though months or years ago they say they will not.  Hang in there in the meanwhile!

[ICE9]
Members
838 posts

Good for you, OP. Seriously. You're doing it right.

WOWS isn't perfect, but what is? I'm as guilty of rage-ranting sometimes as anyone I guess, but I'm still playing because I am still having fun.

There are enough possible combinations of tier range, ship type, and game mode for anyone to find their "happy place" if they want to.

[WMD]
Members
182 posts
5,219 battles

I think most of us mostly have fun playing. The forums become a bit angry because the people that populate forums tend to be less casual players, and want to see the game become more like their ideal. 

I play until I'm not enjoying it, they try something different like scenarios. I avoid ranked, and never worry too much about my stats. Makes the game more fun, and less stressful. 

• Cool 1

Members
1,817 posts
816 battles
6 minutes ago, VeatherVitch said:

I think most of us mostly have fun playing. The forums become a bit angry because the people that populate forums tend to be less casual players, and want to see the game become more like their ideal. 

This.

[ARGSY]
Members
6,356 posts
4,288 battles
On 10/5/2018 at 2:33 PM, MG1962 said:

It can also be pretty flexible when it comes to the ability level for the player base. You can get into highly competitive clan battle games, or putz around in a tier 1 gunboat blowing bots to oblivion....and still have a ball of fun.

This is why it remains fun for me. If I'm stressed out, there are places to go where I am almost guaranteed to win, survive and kill something - sometimes several somethings. I had a co-op game in the Turenne last night where almost everything else was a Tier 2 cruiser, the enemy destroyer never bothered me much, and 99% of the enemy ships I ran into at close range were absolutely no danger to me and ripe for the slaughter. It was GLORIOUS.

Conversely there are places where it's a challenge just to stay alive, but every now and then I have a Random game where I barely crawl across the line with three figures worth of hit points... but enemies are dead and victory is mine and the XP haul is appropriately high... and those too are glorious.

There are so many ships to drive in this game and so many ways in which to play them I don't think I'll ever grow tired of it.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[BLHK]
Members
353 posts
3,456 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

This is why it remains fun for me. If I'm stressed out, there are places to go where I am almost guaranteed to win, survive and kill something - sometimes several somethings. I had a co-op game in the Turenne last night where almost everything else was a Tier 2 cruiser, the enemy destroyer never bothered me much, and 99% of the enemy ships I ran into at close range were absolutely no danger to me and ripe for the slaughter. It was GLORIOUS.

Yeah the St Louis is my stress ball. All those guns..........so little time lol. 

Usually I play co-op for the lol - but if I go random I use her to chase and torment any DDs I can get close enough to. I have had some very entertaining duels with some very good DD drivers in that tier.

For the challenge.......Charles Mattel. Not sure if she is just snake bit, but I can not recall the last time she was not down tiered. Makes for an interesting game with all the Tier X BBs drooling at the thought of a quick French snack lol 

Sign in to follow this