Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
MaxitheBraixen

i just dont understand battleships

19 comments in this topic

[GREPT]
Members
26 posts
1,430 battles

im on the konig for the germans right now but i just cant do the legendary damage that BB's are known for, i mean just now, i fired at a full broadside Queen Elizabeth at a range of 6 kilometers, yet out of 8 rounds, only 1 AP round hit and it was a overpen, i really don't know what else to do.  I can't get close because if I go toward them I risk getting into range of DD torps, if I sit at the back firing from long range with the spotter plane, my shots will still miss.  I just dont know what to do.  i really need help.

update, i know the positioning and timing of each shot its just that when i fire, at the correct area i know where they're gonna be, my shots either fly over their ship or fall short with only 1 shot hitting while the enemy BB's like up to 4 or even 6 of their shots on me.

Edited by MaxitheBraixen

[CAST]
Members
1,420 posts
5,956 battles

Low tier battleships are basically shotguns--you fire your broadside and hope a few shells hit.  The higher tier ships start to become more accurate, and the secondary batteries become viable weapons as well.

Just keep plugging away, and focus your attention more on positioning at these tiers--getting into positions where you can bring as many guns to bear on your targets as possible, without exposing your own ship to too much return fire.  That doesn't necessarily mean staying in the back & sniping, either; use the terrain to shield yourself and/or make yourself a less tempting target than your closest teammates.  Getting that part of it down is essential before you get to those high tier BBs (where the return fire will also be more accurate).

• Cool 1

[-WPG-]
Members
799 posts
3,334 battles

Do you understand the aiming mechanics, how to use the shell travel time with the aiming reticule?  I was many hundreds of battles in with a very low WR before I saw a video explaining it.  The cliff notes version:

1) Go into settings and make sure you have the dynamic crosshair enabled.  Let's ignore the differences in reticules for the time being; suffice to say the dynamic is better in every way.

2) Look at your shell travel time when zoomed in while aiming.  If it says 8 seconds, put the 8th tickmark on the middle of the ship your'e aiming at.  Note that this assumes the target ship is travelling 30 knots.  If you know it's slower, like a US BB T7 or below doing ~20kts, you adjust your aim to like the 6th tickmark.  If a ship is turning or just came out of a turn, you also have to factor in the speed the bled off during a turn. Knowing a targets speed is important, which becomes more apparent as you play different ships. 

Here's a video explaining it.  Note that he is *incorrect* in stating that you aim assuming the target is going 20 knots.  As I said above, with the dynamic crosshair you assume the target is doing 30 knots. 

[TSG4B]
[TSG4B]
Members
1,782 posts
9,798 battles
20 minutes ago, MaxitheBraixen said:

i really need help.

Practice in Co Op with aiming

old ones used to say

"Practice make Perfect"

• Cool 1

[TSG4B]
[TSG4B]
Members
1,782 posts
9,798 battles
4 minutes ago, DouglasMacAwful said:

with the dynamic crosshair you assume the target is doing 30 knots. 

Another better way is when zoom in, look at the target smoke stack ... if the smoke full blow back, it mean the ship going full forward, and adjust accordingly with the smoke

[1-]
Members
578 posts
3,359 battles

First, understand that 90% of a player's performance is explained by positioning of the ship. You are already doing very well, so I can assume you understand it.

Second, 90% of the damage per match stat is explained by the % of time you are engaging and the distance you engage. I used to believe my damage was below average because my aim was bad. So I practised with Yamato until I can quite absurdly inflict damage at long distance (often surprising distracted enemies). However, my damage was still below average:

1.thumb.png.a5cb8aa841160e40e481619351c3d66a.png

So I changed approach. I pushed with the stronger side of my team. I tried to get as close to enemies as possible without being their target. Teammates in front of me (DDs, CLs) help scout torpedoes and fend off enemy DDs. My damage then increased substantially:

2.thumb.png.0943501b1a8a7b688cddd849563b5b72.png

In short, I find the most reliable method of dealing high damage is simply engaging at close range when it is safe to do so. After practising this new approach for a while, you will internalize the strategy without having to think, and find satisfaction whenever you buy a new ship:

3.thumb.png.c4314c55e62f25f74a250eae9b530be8.png

Good luck and you are already a very competitive player. I hope you don't hammer me too hard when we meet in the opposite side.

[WOLF9]
Members
1,102 posts

More battles. Experience is the best teacher. Each ship's rifles are different, and require getting used to, which takes time and practice. The dynamic reticule works for some, personally, I found it one more thing to have to think about. Then again, I have been shooting waterfowl and upland game girds for decades, where the only instrumentation is the mark one eyeball.

[ENDVR]
Members
410 posts
5,323 battles

Watch a couple videos on youtube featuring BB gameplay and just compare where they aim versus where you aim.  Sometimes shooting at the waterline is the way to go, sometimes it’s the upper belt depending on armor and ballistics.

Just keep an eye out, find what works and try to repeat it often enough to ingrain it.

Also be aware of armor/penetration, ballistics, and aiming mechanics.

Edited by SmokeHenge
Phonetyping

[OBS]
Members
119 posts
654 battles

watch these two videos. they will take months of your learning curve

Members
3,468 posts
6,161 battles

Sometimes one BB line will click with you. For me it was the French line and to give a comparison - Republique: 128 games and 44 or so of those games, have over 100K damage (average damage 80K - about 10K under average for server).  Iowa: 125 games - less than 7 games have damage over 100K (49K damage - well below server average).   Missouri: 308 games and 16 of those have damage over 100K (61K average - well below server avg).  Bismark is not much better - 347 and only 13 games over 100K damage (60K average damage - well below server avg).

• Cool 1

[GREPT]
Members
26 posts
1,430 battles
14 hours ago, CylonRed said:

Sometimes one BB line will click with you. For me it was the French line and to give a comparison - Republique: 128 games and 44 or so of those games, have over 100K damage (average damage 80K - about 10K under average for server).  Iowa: 125 games - less than 7 games have damage over 100K (49K damage - well below server average).   Missouri: 308 games and 16 of those have damage over 100K (61K average - well below server avg).  Bismark is not much better - 347 and only 13 games over 100K damage (60K average damage - well below server avg).

im stuck on the konig but no matter what i do, i can't win a match in it, all the dd's on my team die off, my shots either fall short or fly over whatever im shooting at, its gotten to the point where im firing nothing but HE's now just the guarantee that i do damage and that pretty much sums up how my games are and i feel like giving up on BB's all together now.  i mean i know everyone is trying to help, but its just a too tough uphill climb.

• Cool 1

[INTEL]
Members
8,568 posts
25,660 battles

Konig is a dream... Cant be cit, decent secondaries, reasonably speedy, and ten shells up fast.

In Konig you want to push up below a cap so you can support your DDs by blapping cruisers. Konig is death on cruisers. 

You need to learn the skill of kiting -- pointing stern at red and running slowly or quickly away while being angled so their shells miss. So long as you are angled you can even reverse towards red.

On most BBs Konig will do solid damage if you aim at the gap between the belt and the deck. That way even your misses will fly off into the hull or superstructure. 

At cruisers try firing turrets one at a time aiming slightly differently each time. 

Position is everything. You will never go wrong staying between the 4 and 7 lines. Just loop around, bring turrets around and repeat. Dont be shy about switching to HE either.

Look for a DD to support and let him know you will be behind him. Then chase away or kill cruisers that bother him as he caps.

[HINON]
Members
321 posts
2,074 battles

Instead of learning how to play Battleships in general, I suggest learning how to play each individual ship to its limits. 

Konig is one of the best in-tree ships at tier 5 because it has both a low skill floor and high skill ceiling.  Here is how I play it.

1)  Konig is fairly slow. To counter this, position yourself in an area that puts multiple enemy ships within the range of your main batteries.  Avoid the center of the map, because it is a hotspot and you will likely be cross-fired.  Also avoid taking a distant flank because you will be largely ineffective for the first few minutes of the match.  An ideal spot for Konig is usually 10-8 km behind two different cap points at the start of the match. 

2) Understand that Konig, as well as other battleships, are always a gamble when you fire your guns.  The best way to use their guns is to maximize your chances of damage.  Fire your guns frequently and often, you should rarely hold your fire.  If there are no shells in the air, there is a 0% chance of doing damage. 

3) When using the Konig's guns, rely on AP rounds most of the time.  Her guns are small, but they travel quickly.  Aim for the waterline on cruisers unless you know they will turn in, or away.  On enemy battleships, unless it is less than 8km, or they are a lower tier, aim for the mid-belt.  The guns are not high enough of a caliber to guarantee citadels on enemy bbs, so go for regular penetrations instead, and cripple them with your awesome rate of fire. Konig's HE is very poor.  Only use it against Destroyers, or heavily angled Battleships.

4) Angle your armor frequently.  Konig has fantastic armor, and can show a much larger broadside than most bbs when angled.  I usually point the front of the ship at the enemy with the largest guns, then use your guns to aim at ships on your flank.  This allows you to tank and perform dps at the same time.  For example:  A Kongo and Furutaka are firing at you.  Angle the ship to bounce the Kongo, then fire your guns at the Furutaka.

5) When a Destroyer is visible and pursuing you, turn away and fall back as fast as possible.  This forces the DD to stay in the open for longer, and gives you more time to for you and your allies to fire at the pursuing ship before it gets in range to fire torpedoes effectively. 

Again, play each individual ship to its limits, not just according to their class.  Generic battleship advice is better used on the Bayern, not Konig.  I hope this helps.:Smile_Default:

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,866 posts
5,255 battles
On 10/4/2018 at 12:29 AM, MaxitheBraixen said:

im on the konig for the germans right now but i just cant do the legendary damage that BB's are known for, i mean just now, i fired at a full broadside Queen Elizabeth at a range of 6 kilometers, yet out of 8 rounds, only 1 AP round hit and it was a overpen, i really don't know what else to do.  I can't get close because if I go toward them I risk getting into range of DD torps, if I sit at the back firing from long range with the spotter plane, my shots will still miss.  I just dont know what to do.  i really need help.

update, i know the positioning and timing of each shot its just that when i fire, at the correct area i know where they're gonna be, my shots either fly over their ship or fall short with only 1 shot hitting while the enemy BB's like up to 4 or even 6 of their shots on me.

Would you expect to achieve legendary results when you’ve just started out with destroyers, cruisers, or carriers?

Why do you think you should with BBs?

Anybody can play a BB.... but it takes a lot of skill and experience to play a BB really really well.

Dont listen to the highly vocal fans of certain other classes that try to tell you BB play is easy.

[ONAVY]
Members
766 posts
6,284 battles
On 10/3/2018 at 10:45 PM, Harv72b said:

Low tier battleships are basically shotguns--you fire your broadside and hope a few shells hit.  The higher tier ships start to become more accurate, and the secondary batteries become viable weapons as well.

Just keep plugging away, and focus your attention more on positioning at these tiers--getting into positions where you can bring as many guns to bear on your targets as possible, without exposing your own ship to too much return fire.  That doesn't necessarily mean staying in the back & sniping, either; use the terrain to shield yourself and/or make yourself a less tempting target than your closest teammates.  Getting that part of it down is essential before you get to those high tier BBs (where the return fire will also be more accurate).

Best advice and analogy in the whole thread. Feel the force young Jedi...

[SF-3]
Members
1,502 posts
8,101 battles

Hit me up in game if you see me on and we can div up, or do some training room sessions.

[BLHK]
Members
327 posts
3,429 battles
On ‎10‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 12:29 AM, MaxitheBraixen said:

Aside from skill and practice. What is your frame rate in game like. Are you on a marginal computer, or one that easily accommodates the needs of WOW?

[FGNE]
Members
432 posts
728 battles
On 10/4/2018 at 12:29 AM, MaxitheBraixen said:

BBs are REALLY depressing till you get T7+, then they start to get better.  You need to learn where to shoot and how to lead properly.  That big damage comes from Citadels, and aiming at the ships weak spot.  Every ship has different weak spots and you need to learn them.  

Find videos like this: 

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Members
2,827 posts
1,327 battles

Also, low tier BBs in general don't do well at longer ranges.  Keep to lower to mid range shots if you can.  

For example, Wyoming's dispersion makes it not too great at past 10 km (max 15.8), and the AP doesn't work well that far out either.  Not enough pen to do well, so I tend to use HE past 10 km on Wyoming.  On the other hand, inside 10 km, it's a sawed-off shotgun that you don't want to be in front of if the player's halfway decent, and the AP hurts at those ranges.

Different ships have variations of the above, as far as severity, etc.

Sign in to follow this