You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
LancasterOne

Trend in my player statistics: WR up, but PR down

42 comments in this topic

[BLAZE]
Beta Testers
122 posts
3,603 battles

I've been looking at ways how to improve my playing and one of the tools I use is the stats. I noticed that once I've started playing more strategically most of my other stats improved but my PR is taking a massive dive and my progression also has plateaued a bit as of late. Is this something I should be concerned about or is the diverging statistics telling me something about my play-style that's stopping my improvement as a player?

image.png.370f536bc2c25fa6558bd168a3bf3e7f.png

and yes for the unicums out there, I am trash, but I am trying to improve. I'M TRYING DAMN IT. 

[0456]
[0456]
Members
2,809 posts
7,992 battles

I think PR is relative to how everyone else does in the ships you’re running... speaking as a non unicum I’d focus on experience and damage and maybe keep an eye on survival. Work on those 3 things and your wr should keep climbing. PR is pretty forgettable. 

Start playing more DDs and your damage will drop... plying BBs your experience may drop... CAs and everything may take a bath. It really is only a part of the picture. Is that a solo or overall graph? 

Edited by _ENO_

Members
469 posts
12,428 battles

If I win a match having capped twice but only did 15k damage I consider it a good match.

I play to win.

I don't care who gets the kills or farms the damage.

You are the type of player I want on my team. Someone who does what it takes to win and doesn't worry about stat padding your PR.

• Cool 7

[PLPT]
Members
632 posts
6,808 battles

PR doesn’t mean much IMHO.  It’s just WR and damage. If your WR is going up and your PR down, then I’d say you’re becoming a better team player. Winning without necessarily doing damage.  I had a 60% WR in ranked using a Shimakaze but a “bad” PR. Having done some actual statistics professionally, I consider all numbers from these data* sites but WR** to have limited value and highly subject to interpretation.

If two players have the same WR, I’d rather have the one with lower PR on my team.

* data sites not stats sites.  “Statistics” would imply some kind of analysis. WTR, PR, etc. are all awful and extremely amateur.

** Even WR needs caution and is subject to interpretation. What tier? Who else was in the match? Was radar imbalanced? Etc etc. WG doesn’t even publish the data necessary to do any kind of real analysis.

Edited by n00bot

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
3,000 posts
13,665 battles

Improving Win rate shows you are making better decisions for the greater good of the team and sometimes that requires you to sacrifice your personal game.

• Cool 1

[BOTES]
Members
1,919 posts
6,654 battles

Little to no increase in WR, dmg or experience + playing more (presumably moving up tiers) = lower PR.

[WLDD]
Beta Testers
136 posts
5,021 battles
3 hours ago, awildseaking said:

Little to no increase in WR, dmg or experience + playing more (presumably moving up tiers) = lower PR.

Hit the nail on the head. Even though there is an upward trend in your WR, you're playing higher tiers and ship types where more damage is 'expected'. Not reaching those expectations will lead to a lower PR

5 hours ago, n00bot said:

PR doesn’t mean much IMHO.  It’s just WR and damage. If your WR is going up and your PR down, then I’d say you’re becoming a better team player. Winning without necessarily doing damage.  I had a 60% WR in ranked using a Shimakaze but a “bad” PR. Having done some actual statistics professionally, I consider all numbers from these data* sites but WR** to have limited value and highly subject to interpretation.

If two players have the same WR, I’d rather have the one with lower PR on my team.

* data sites not stats sites.  “Statistics” would imply some kind of analysis. WTR, PR, etc. are all awful and extremely amateur.

** Even WR needs caution and is subject to interpretation. What tier? Who else was in the match? Was radar imbalanced? Etc etc. WG doesn’t even publish the data necessary to do any kind of real analysis.

There are a lot of stats that can be looked at in this game and most are left up to the interpretation of the reader. Someone who has a knowledge or background in stats has a better chance of understanding them and recognizing trends and what those mean.

@n00bot I've written some articles in the past analyzing and discussing some of the statistics involved in the game that you might appreciate.

• Cool 1

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
9,124 posts
7,655 battles

Don't sweat personal rating.  Do what's necessary to win.  Sometimes that will mean holding fire, staying alive and facilitating your team mates at doing the killing.

• Cool 5

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,866 posts
5,255 battles
7 hours ago, LancasterOne said:

I've been looking at ways how to improve my playing and one of the tools I use is the stats. I noticed that once I've started playing more strategically most of my other stats improved but my PR is taking a massive dive and my progression also has plateaued a bit as of late. Is this something I should be concerned about or is the diverging statistics telling me something about my play-style that's stopping my improvement as a player?

image.png.370f536bc2c25fa6558bd168a3bf3e7f.png

and yes for the unicums out there, I am trash, but I am trying to improve. I'M TRYING DAMN IT. 

PR is a made up stat.  Ignore it.

• Cool 1

[ENDVR]
Members
410 posts
5,326 battles
8 hours ago, Prothall said:

If I win a match having capped twice but only did 15k damage I consider it a good match.

I play to win.

I don't care who gets the kills or farms the damage.

You are the type of player I want on my team. Someone who does what it takes to win and doesn't worry about stat padding your PR.

Completely agree.

I’m happy with my personal records for Maximum <stat> and now focus on winning.  This also necessitates a higher bias towards ships capable of affecting the battle result (in my instance, I am trying to up my DD game).

Edited by SmokeHenge

[PLPT]
Members
632 posts
6,808 battles
5 hours ago, SnipeySnipes said:

@n00bot I've written some articles in the past analyzing and discussing some of the statistics involved in the game that you might appreciate.

+1

Anyone interested in player stats should check out Snipey’s blog! Lots of content on why you need to be careful interpreting player data.

[PLPT]
Members
632 posts
6,808 battles
5 hours ago, TheDreadnought said:

Yep.

I can’t help but throw in another example of made-up “stats” to ignore. WTR gives kills-per-death a heavy weight, independently from damage.  So if two players have the same WR and average damage, the kill stealer will be rated higher, even though they are probably wasting volleys on ships that other players would finish. It’s completely backwards, IMHO.

For example, I had torped a BB and it was flooding out, down to 500 health, when a BB on my own team put a full AP volley into it and stole the kill. That kill stealer could have been helping the team by firing at something else, instead of wasting 30 seconds and 50k+ of potential damage on an already-dead enemy. That player’s WTR went up.  It’s a completely broken measure.

Same comment as PR: if two players have the same WR, I’d rather have the one with lower WTR on my team!

Edited by n00bot

[OO7]
Alpha Tester
6,734 posts
3,490 battles

@LancasterOne

No Unicum worth their salt is going to give you crap for trying to improve.

So the core of PR calculation isn't based on simply how much damage you do, or how much you win, but on how much better or worse you do compared to the average of those stats in that ship. It then provides your PR.

Since you're in high tier ships you'll be expected to do more damage. So likely your issue here is doing worse than average damage wise in those ships.

I recommend trying to focus on a few ships there and try to get better PR wise at each one. Try to work on getting your average survival rate up to the average to start. Learn what the ship can and can't handle and try to breath and not force the issues early or throw your ship away because a lucky hit knocked you down super low early. You can still have a major impact even with 84 hp.

[TOG]
Members
2,484 posts
14,960 battles
13 hours ago, LancasterOne said:

My dear fellow traveler, no one here is going to look down on someone who is tying to improve. 

[DRAH]
Members
99 posts
3,388 battles

Only WR matters, everything else is highly suspect. This is especially true of any metric built around raw damage. It's easy to farm high damage totals without impacting the game much by shooting HE at battleships but that doesn't do much.

The only way such stats would be meaningful would be marginally meaningful would be if the raw damage was converted into % of max hull capacity.

To give a couple of examples from recent matches in my Musashi. In one game I chased an Enemy Yammato nearly the entire game slowly whittling him down and doing well over 130k damage to him and sinking him eventually but he drew me away from the caps so most of that was Meh Damage and I did a cumulative ~120% total damage. In another game I supported a push and did about 75k damage to destroyers and cruisers which represented nearly 200% hull damage. I was a far better player in the second game despite doing less raw damage as the damage I did was far more effective. In the first game it is fair to say my team won without me and in the second despite getting no kills and far less damage I really messed up 2 DDs and the citidel on the Des Moines caused him to retreat from the cap and I had a massive impact on the win.

[MIA-A]
Members
2,099 posts
6,729 battles

It looks like the primary influence here is your bismarck games - you have a lot recently and not done very well in them, resulting in a low overall PR in those (500ish).

Bismarck is a hard ship to figure out because it's style of play is totally different depending on whether it's top or bottom tier.

[KRAB]
Members
615 posts
6,011 battles

The simplest explanation is you are playing different ships which are harder to get a high PR in but good at winning games. You could also be divisioning more, which has a similar effect. 

Members
220 posts
7,619 battles
1 hour ago, Madwolf05 said:

@LancasterOne

I've been mocked by people in your clan for mistakes I've made brohan, I'm not sure if they were unicum or not but I'm not sure how much that matters I guess if you say it does then that's fine. I'm just not sure that statement really applies across the board because there are all sort of people in this game some are decent and some are less and but thanks for reading.

[BIAS]
Members
3,138 posts
9,224 battles
1 hour ago, Madwolf05 said:

@LancasterOne

Nailed it on the head.

[PT8TO]
Members
1,406 posts
13,253 battles

All good answers to your question in this thread.

I will also agree that PR is not something you should worry about.

Some players can only win games by doing massive damage and having to kill everything in sight.

Other players Win games in other ways by contributing a little of everything to the match.

You get a cap, you spot 2 or more ships, you tank some damage, you do 70-100K, get 2 or 3 kills, you get a few defense ribbons, you survive more than half the game.

You Contribute that to every game in each ship you play your well on your way to becoming a great player.

Also do not get caught up in the color Hype down the road,  There are plenty of Unicum Players that do not have Unicum Purple Stats.

Edited by GUNSTAR_THE_LEGEND

[TARFU]
Members
882 posts
5,915 battles

Hmm, my PR is going up with the rest. But look at my winrate, what's with the cyclical winrate humps? Is this the matchmaking trying to force my winrate to 50%? Didn't the patent for the matchmaker say it does that so you're more challenged? About 2,000 games ago i got drastically better at the game, and have had a 55-60% winrate ever since, and I'm still barely above 50% over all winrate.

Due to the sheer volume of games I have to blend in to obviously.

Capture.thumb.JPG.e82b72d8bd2ad9bcdf3eb15df334150e.JPG

i kinda like Warship today's graphs better, they're prettier and show games on the bottom rather then dates.

Capture.thumb.JPG.d182c5a68bd57af381a4a93ebf5f163a.JPG

I wish they'd let you pay 1000 doubloons to wipe your stats. Or, the first 1-2000 games or something, that would probably be better.

Edited by HorrorRoach

[TOG]
Members
2,484 posts
14,960 battles
2 minutes ago, HorrorRoach said:

Hmm, my PR is going up with the rest. But look at my winrate, what's with the cyclical winrate humps? Is this the matchmaking trying to force my winrate to 50%? Didn't the patent for the matchmaker say it does that so you're more challenged? About 2,000 games ago i got drastically better at the game, and have had a 55-60% winrate ever since, and I'm still barely above 50% over all winrate.

Well three factors I've noted:

1. Introduction of new lines - Mine dropped bigly during the USN CA/CL split. So many radar ships!

2. Weekends  - nuff said

3. Streaks - Sometimes no matter what you do you can't win.

[HEROS]
Members
1,426 posts
11,978 battles

Yep, Kudo's to all encouraging this good player.

I understand good sir from my own 3 years of playing WOWS.  I'm aggressive I play to have fun.. I die.. a lot..  A whole lot..  I moved from BB play almost 2 years ago to DD play because if I'm going to die anyway I want to get some licks in before I go..  and at least die standing up.  

(that and 3rd season of SL league only a DD player slot was open on my clans bronze league team.. yea, in I went!  Had to make a no smoke build of the Kagero work because we were limited to 3 smoke ships  2 Bensons and a Kutuzov.. No smoke and TRB was new then.  I was clumsy but was still effective if I could get those 16 torps in the water at the right place and time.   Much much better at it now.)

It's been slow learning because I'm older then most, stubborn as all git, and very much pride full.  Not the greatest mix for improving ones play.  But on a good day where I'm focused I am one of the more dangerous torp boat  DD players in the game regardless of my over all stats.  I'm old, and  I am sneaky!  (yes I have found a new way to have fun you poor sods!)

But in many ways everyone here is saying the same thing.  Your on the right track.. Play to win.  Do that and do that well and all the rest will follow in time.

See you about!

Warlord sends

[TOG]
Members
2,484 posts
14,960 battles
1 hour ago, MaxL_1023 said:

You could also be divisioning more, which has a similar effect. 

Funny, my divisioning with other people  is  at best neutral compared with going solo.

Members
845 posts
10 battles
7 hours ago, TheDreadnought said:

Respectfully I disagree. PR like every other stat is a tool. It is not the end all be all of stats but a piece in the larger puzzle. Using stats as an analytical tool to identify area where you can improve can help your game.