Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Lert

Recently someone asked why capping early is so important

30 comments in this topic

[HINON]
Supertester
19,224 posts
12,756 battles

Here's why:

hyjfkXM.jpg

• Cool 11

[VFW]
Members
940 posts
21,224 battles
2 minutes ago, Lert said:

Here's why:

hyjfkXM.jpg

Yep...agree.   So many games lost due to not controlling the caps early.   Once that point led is big, it's hard to catch up.

vr, 

• Cool 1

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
5,840 posts
9,586 battles

But dude, just wait until all the radar ships are dead and then you can cap...

[-RNG-]
[-RNG-]
Beta Testers
233 posts
2,452 battles
Just now, HazardDrake said:

Can't cap if a DM tears you in half.

[HINON]
Supertester
19,224 posts
12,756 battles
12 minutes ago, HazardDrake said:

As a battleship, I can't kill radar ships if they're not spotted.

[HINON]
Supertester
19,224 posts
12,756 battles
4 minutes ago, HazardDrake said:

My bad. I didn't include the  :Smile-_tongue: in my OP. My apologies.

NP :)

[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
4,805 posts
7,075 battles

I sense seething frustration in the OP. So hot it shimmers before my eyes.

[-RNG-]
[-RNG-]
Beta Testers
233 posts
2,452 battles
2 minutes ago, Lert said:

As a battleship, I can't kill radar ships if they're not spotted.

It's ironic, really. To light the radar early you quite possibly get nuked by the whole flank, and if you don't it can't be killed.

But tactically there's just no room to react to radar. You go into the cap, spot the radar cruiser, then can't get away since you're headed towards eachother (turning takes time, and cruisers are fast). You're punished heavily for attempting to cap if there's a radar cruiser on the flank, since you can be killed in seconds by the insane DPM. 

• Cool 2

[HINON]
Supertester
19,224 posts
12,756 battles
7 minutes ago, LoveBote said:

I sense seething frustration in the OP. So hot it shimmers before my eyes.

Not really. Mild frustration at worst. Was my last game of the day anyways and at least my own performance wasn't bad. I remembered that recent thread and figured this screenshot illustrated the important of caps well.

[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
4,805 posts
7,075 battles
11 minutes ago, Lert said:

Not really. Mild frustration at worst. Was my last game of the day anyways and at least my own performance wasn't bad. I remembered that recent thread and figured this screenshot illustrated the important of caps well.

I seethe, when after having scouted and cleared a cap for safe capping with my cv fighters/strike, see team totally ignore my efforts, throwing themseves on a radar infested Worcester/DM/Moskva defended cap elsewhere.

[SCTFB]
[SCTFB]
Beta Testers
3,980 posts
15,674 battles

Cap early and cap often kind of like voting  

[NWNG]
[NWNG]
Members
2,035 posts
3,548 battles
47 minutes ago, Lert said:

Here's why:

hyjfkXM.jpg

That looks like the battle in which I earned my first Solo Warrior. The ships still alive are the same as that battle. The only reason I know it is not that match, is because the islands are wrong, and the spotting ribbon exists.:Smile_teethhappy:

Anyway, yes, this, 100%. If the team does not get the caps early, you'll lose the long game.

[ICBM]
Members
371 posts
8,189 battles

I had a similar occurrence about a week ago...

Hindy chasing enemy Cv....Gearing walking the pooch...

Enemy Shima chasing our Cv and driving him to line and finishing Cv...

I'm moving over from the other side of map..

I hammer away at Missouri from Repub and Gearing blips him for a kill with guns...

Next, I turn on the Moskva and take him out and turn to work on the enemy Shima running (last man standing)...

As soon as I turn our Gearing is sitting their 3\4 hp facing the wrong way...

I don't know why but I just decided to blap my Gearing to seaweed and chase Shima... but clock runs out...

Took a penalty...and did not feel bad about it...said sorry and carried on

Members
1,157 posts
6,931 battles

i see this happen quite often.  Generally it is not who capped first, but who gain map control.   1 team either never leaves spawn or lemming trains/flees to one corner, and the other team gets all the bases, but then proceeds to die one at a time against the enemy blob.   by the time the enemy team grows a pair, it is too late, they are down 300+ points with a few min left.  They can't catch the last of the enemies or catch up in points, resulting in a loss.

edit, if you are on the team that had the points but ends up being the last one left, it is an easy solo warrior. 

Edited by Frederick_The_Great

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,449 posts
8,107 battles

Yep, my first ever solo warrior was against a red team smart enough to stick together so my air attacks were useless, but, not enough to get the caps they needed. Couldn't kill the remaining 4-5 ships, but as they scattered to hunt for me bought enough time to win. Why I always try to contest a cap, or at minimum, make sure the other team doesn't get it. 

[MIA-A]
Members
2,114 posts
6,769 battles
46 minutes ago, PG908 said:

It's ironic, really. To light the radar early you quite possibly get nuked by the whole flank, and if you don't it can't be killed.

But tactically there's just no room to react to radar. You go into the cap, spot the radar cruiser, then can't get away since you're headed towards eachother (turning takes time, and cruisers are fast). You're punished heavily for attempting to cap if there's a radar cruiser on the flank, since you can be killed in seconds by the insane DPM. 

This isn't really true.

It is true if you take the "sail all the way forward until you get radared" approach. Which is a bad idea.

You should take the, "sail enough into cap and plan your getaway" approach. Whenever I cap in a destroyer, I always position myself stern in and facing straight out. I also normally position myself to quickly kite behind cover if I am radared. Doing this will heavily if not entirely mitigate the damage you take while capping.

• Cool 3

[WOLFB]
Members
1,728 posts
8,270 battles

I'm assuming you were playing BB.

70k spotting damage for a BB isn't bad at all, I guess that show something about DD work. 

[-RNG-]
[-RNG-]
Beta Testers
233 posts
2,452 battles
23 minutes ago, enderland07 said:

This isn't really true.

It is true if you take the "sail all the way forward until you get radared" approach. Which is a bad idea.

You should take the, "sail enough into cap and plan your getaway" approach. Whenever I cap in a destroyer, I always position myself stern in and facing straight out. I also normally position myself to quickly kite behind cover if I am radared. Doing this will heavily if not entirely mitigate the damage you take while capping.

Even when kiting, touching certain caps is still extremely hazardous (lack of cover, small diameter, rubbish kiting and approach angles,) and caps where a cruiser can safely sit behind an island make it almost impossible to cap when the cooldown is only 120s and capping takes 100 (Edit: 60, don't know how I messed that up). 

When your hard counter can (and will) spot you when you spot it it tends to discourage taking a risk. Especially when they don't really risk too much themselves: In the early cap game BBs are not usually in range to nuke them consistently (any sane BB captain will be 6+km behind the cap, which leaves the cruiser and additional 8+ km away). It's not always the case, but ti very often is. 

And the reward for contesting the cap? A round in the ring with a red destroyer. Who might ALSO have radar. 

• Cool 1

[FAE]
Members
2,161 posts
2,639 battles

Do you people even play DDs? To any modicum of oercentage similar to the other ship types? 

• Cool 1

[MIA-A]
Members
2,114 posts
6,769 battles
2 minutes ago, PG908 said:

Even when kiting, touching certain caps is still extremely hazardous (lack of cover, small diameter, rubbish kiting and approach angles,) and caps where a cruiser can safely sit behind an island make it almost impossible to cap when the cooldown is only 120s and capping takes 100. 

When your hard counter can (and will) spot you when you spot it it tends to discourage taking a risk. Especially when they don't really risk too much themselves: In the early cap game BBs are not usually in range to nuke them consistently (any sane BB captain will be 6+km behind the cap, which leaves the cruiser and additional 8+ km away). It's not always the case, but ti very often is. 

And the reward for contesting the cap? A round in the ring with a red destroyer. Who might ALSO have radar.

Capping does not in any circumstance take 100 seconds. Domination mode it is 60 seconds.

Actually, I guess it's possible if you have enough ships enter a standard battle cap at the same time it might be exactly 100 seconds.

Alpha Tester
5,091 posts
2,436 battles

This is why WG needs to make aggressive play more lucrative. I'd suggest a massive credit and XP bonus for killing ships at ranges under 10 km and even bigger bonuses for killing them while contesting a cap. That should get people to PTFO.

• Bad 1

[HINON]
Supertester
19,224 posts
12,756 battles
31 minutes ago, AlcatrazNC said:

I'm assuming you were playing BB.

Musashi.

[BOTES]
Members
1,919 posts
6,658 battles

Capping early isn't important and it's one of the best ways to send DD back to port early since slower CA/BB can't get into position. Preventing caps early is way more important. Ofc you're going to suffer if the reds cap and you don't, but if nobody caps, all is well.

Early damage and deletion of DD and radar CA/CL is more important.

Edited by awildseaking
  • Cool 4

Sign in to follow this