You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.

11 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
6,343 posts
4,275 battles

It pays to know just how much that shiny new ship you want will really cost you when all is said and done.

Let's take my current situation as an example. I want a Tier VIII destroyer in my port with which to broaden the range of ships to attempt permanent campaigns and take to what's left of Tier VIII Ranked next season. Absent the Cossack, which will almost certainly be mine if I don't slip badly on the RN missions, or the Lightning if I am blessed by RNGesus along the way, the first likely candidate for me is the Benson (because my highest tier destroyer right now is the Mahan).

According to the relevant Wiki page, when I accessed it today, the Benson costs just a hair over 9 million credits to acquire once you unlock it with XP. I get clan discounts, so I can take a fair chunk off of that, but let's go with approximate costs in millions or reasonable fractions thereof. I could tell myself "Aha, I have just over 9 million in my account (which I don't right now, but let's pretend) and enough Free XP to get the hell out of the Mahan. Let's go!"

HOWEVER...

We want to equip, say, Main armaments mod 1. That's 125K credits. 

We want extra protection for our engines. Propulsion mod 1 will cost 250K. That's an extra 375K already, call it half a million to be sure of maintenance money if the first few games aren't good or I want to play around in co-op for a bit (which usually means taking losses on all but the best wins).

We want aiming systems mod 1 to improve our chances of firespamming battleships at maximum range. Another 500K out the door, and we are already up to a total cost of 10 million. You really sure you wanna burn all that FXP right now?

We would really like propulsion systems mod 2 to hoof it out of dissipating smoke, or rudder mod 2 to torpedobeat, according to taste. Slot 4 is one million credits. Eleven million for the ship.

Finally, concealment is life. We WILL want concealment systems mod 1 (most of the time, anyway). Two million.

So our stock out-the-door sticker price has just gone up from 9 million to 13 million. Sure, we could try to get by with a basic no-frills hull (and in first testing I often do, just to see what she's like fresh out of the box). But if you have any pretensions to Ranked play, you need to bring the A game.

Oh, and the B hull. That's another 1.4 million; call it 1.5 to help cover maintenance on those losses. 14.5 million. And if you decide to help yourself to the extra gun range (which some people don't; they prefer to be stealthier at full bloom), add another million. And a further 1.5 million to get the extra 5K damage per torpedo, which can be really critical when facing HP-bloated high tier ships.

Okay, are we all tricked out and ready to go? That's seventeen million credits for a ship whose bare-bones price is nine million. Nearly double what you first budgeted. Do you really want to go out naked and unequipped into the badlands?

Now of course lower tiers are going to be cheaper, but higher tiers are going to be much, MUCH more expensive. Once you get to Tier 9 you get access to upgrade slot six, and any of the modules in that is going to cost you 3 million credits. That's right; seven million to the base cost of your ship, and that's before you get into B hulls, upgraded torps, longer-range fire controls and what have you. God help you if you are free-to-play and find you need to swap these out.

It's something to be aware of when you push that "buy ship" button.

Happy sailing.

ETA: See also my related post on what happens when you neglect the above or all the upgrades come at once:

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu
correct a minor math error
  • Cool 1

Members
161 posts
3,009 battles

Time to get some flags up so you can get your income up before you pull the trigger on the new ship, or at least to make the upgrade process less painful as you go.  I'm the worlds worst at remembering to hoist these before I hit the battle button.  I don't usually think of these until I am ready for the purchase.  This explains why I don't have a big war chest to work with. I was doing pretty good before the US Light Cruisers dropped.

Members
1,866 posts

Credits are the limiter in this game that pushes you to spend at least a modest amount instead of being co-op/f2p. Look at some of these guys with thousands of battles more than me and maybe one tier 10. My premium time and premium ships rack up credits, and that is the real reward since premium ships are only marginally better than free ships.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,412 posts
9,589 battles

You get some credits back when you sell off the A Hull and other modules. Guess you'll just have to milk the Operations for a couple hours to crank out those credits.

[WOLF2]
Members
892 posts
7,263 battles

+1'd you for the Billy Joel reference - now the song is stuck in my head.  Thanks :cap_book:

I really do miss the tech tree sales.    Granted, you get the 10% clan discount, but I enjoyed those 25% and 50% discounts they'd run from time to time.     Last few months have been on missions and running up 19 point skippers, so I wasn't in the mode of moving up in the tech tree.   That saves a bit of spending.     And watch for those upgrade sales.   Hopefully, you'll have a nice amount saved when it's time to pull the purchase.   Good luck!

[TOG]
Members
2,484 posts
14,997 battles

I have the First World problem. More credits than I know what to do with. I have currently:

Clan bonuses, premium ships, camos, flags, clan battles, ranked and winning consistently. 200-800k profits in each game win or lose and it all adds up. 

That's why I wish there's a conversion to other commodities. Even if it's once a year. I also wish I have this problem in real life. I'll probably hit half a billion by Thanksgiving.

[OPRAH]
[OPRAH]
Beta Testers
3,874 posts
12,625 battles

@Ensign_Cthulhu once again more proof that a boat is just a hole in the water that you pour money into!

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[A_51]
Members
277 posts
13,071 battles

Thanks to six months of premium time, I have app. 190 million credits in my account.  And this is from playing 90% co-op.   Credits will not be an issue for me any time in the foreseeable future.  For me, experience is the limiting factor.

Members
1,590 posts
4,356 battles

Great points.

in my case, exp is the LIMFAC.  I am miserly with fxp...a product of saving for over a year to grind Mighty Mo’. What I noticed is that, generally, if you grind through your ships you make the money to look after them and buy new ones. 

Edinburgh is my current project, just finished Mogami and Baltimore. I’m a little “light” right now at around 120 mil, but I did use the tech tree sale they just had to buy Edinburgh, Baltimore and Iowa with all their bits...I’ll be back up and on track again soon...and I’ll have plenty for my next purchase.  

[ARGSY]
Members
6,343 posts
4,275 battles
On 10/3/2018 at 2:46 PM, Mahrs said:

What I noticed is that, generally, if you grind through your ships you make the money to look after them and buy new ones. 

Yep, and I'm starting to think moving forward that I need to operate under the following rules:

1) Each ship has to make bank for its successor's basic hull with all upgrade module slots filled, which should be regarded as the minimum out-the-door price for that successor.

2) While the cost of upgraded hulls, gun fire control systems, engines and torpedo tubes (as applicable) has to be figured in, payment for these can be deferred until after purchase and form part of the stock grind for that next ship up.

C hull sidegrades will be researched and unlocked for elite status where appropriate, purchased only if cash is replete and the sidegrade seems useful.

I was doing some calculations based on preliminary figures on the Wiki to see what some of the ships I want will cost me. Full figures for the British destroyers are not available (the hull costs for Tier V-VIII are unrevealed at present), but I was more than mildly surprised to find that the ultimate cost of the Jutland at Tier IX is fractionally MORE than that of the Daring (by a few hundred thousand). This is because the Jutland has a B hull and gun fire control system to research and pay for, while the Tier X Daring does not. OTOH the Daring is the end, with no further sunk costs involved once the modules are all obtained, and all the money she makes can be regarded as going into general revenue (which is an incentive to finish the line out).