You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
ExecutiveToasterOven

Steam Store Expensive DLC list

4 comments in this topic

Members
23 posts
720 battles

Hello All!

I've noticed that with the introduction of the steam client many premium ships are continuously added to the dlc list, at the time of posting this the total cost of dlc is heading to $300 USD

image.png.7437097a5d653c08203dbb64c41e6eb4.png

Any experienced player would know that these are optional purchases (some not even worth it) that do not alter the core gameplay, however I am addressing this from a new player's perspective. The steam store is big marketing tool for games, and the front page tells new players a lot about what to expect, and this hefty price tag is not appealing to someone who wants to try the game out. Currently, World Of Warships is #10 in top selling F2P games on steam, which means lots of people are likely to click on it.

image.png.17d968b7d4d2f9569a7ab880541b464d.png

I'm not ignoring the fact that there are many paid elements reaching the hundreds in this game (because there are!), however this is advertising the fact that there are hundreds of dollars of purchases right underneath the download button.

image.png.f2d4e7cfeb36f9caba595fd4cbfadefa.png

This could be easily steering new players away from trying the game out. Yes the premiums have some nice sales on steam, but its tilting towards a p2w looking game from an outsider perspective (in some WG balance cases i suppose so). I'm just saying maybe WG should consider slowing down with adding more steam dlc or remove it completely and stick to the in-game store. That's my opinion anyway. I just want new people to try out the game and make up their mind on whether they enjoy it or not, instead of being turned off immediately on the store page.

• Cool 1

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,282 posts

Anyone who has played anything from Steam knows how it works. There is the free game. There is the additional content not required for game play but rather for increased variety and enjoyment of the game. You do not have to purchase the additional content to play the game. 

You may not know it but you are looking at 3 years of ship development when you look at that list. 

I do have to say - if it were my game, I would segregate the DLC content by number of games played per account, and tier. You want a high tier premium? Do the grind then you can buy it. 

But that's just if it were my game. 

• Cool 1

Members
23 posts
720 battles
On 03/10/2018 at 9:01 PM, Herr_Reitz said:

I do have to say - if it were my game, I would segregate the DLC content by number of games played per account, and tier. You want a high tier premium? Do the grind then you can buy it. 

But that's just if it were my game. 

I like this idea, it would prevent newer players from buying their way into high tier matches and inevitably lose.

I understand lots of effort goes into the making of these ships. I was just voicing my concern about it potentially becoming a $1000 list that might turn some people off. But starter packs etc I can get behind.