You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
IfYouSeeKhaos

It only took 12,769 battles...

19 comments in this topic

Members
1,835 posts
17,651 battles

1st "Clear Sky" type achievement (I don't run CVs obviously):

shot-18_10.02_21_17.31-0513.thumb.jpg.aeabaa2e74f65bfd2de63f987eb0bac5.jpg

But I do have 668 battles in the Atlanta though & the most I ever shot down w/it is 23 (although I do tend to run hydro in it a lot as I don't see enough CVs & even w/out it the AA is pretty good & I like to concentrate on hunting down DDs & like to know when cruisers are troping at me too)...& the only other game w/more than that was the Iron Duke w/27.

Of course it was just a low tiered plane Kaga but the CV player was good enough to take top of the team:

shot-18_10.02_21_17.36-0349.thumb.jpg.a01c7210a8468b90e608ecf90b4b3d67.jpg

And I was glad he was in his Kaga & not his Saipan...he would have been able to shoot down all of my CVs planes real fast in Saipan & a few of the plane kills came from shooting down his fighters that were tied up w/my CVs fighters:

shot-18_10.02_21_17.41-0573.thumb.jpg.ab1039cbdd9ea662a4a52d19780bc704.jpg

Only 11...but w/him in the Saipan I'm sure it would have been 0 as I was locking on the strike planes 1st to help out my cruiser & DD that was hanging real close by me as we were chasing him down before locking onto the fighters & in the Saipan he would have annihilated the planes faster & not been tied up to farm his fighters off of & I needed at least 3 of those.

He was concentrating on the DD & cruiser so I was able to keep full speed & concentrate on locking onto his individual planes & not having to dodge any torps while he got them 1st...& by the time he sunk them & came for me he was almost dead...& because I was able to keep full speed I was able to dodge all but 1 of his torps & a couple of his dive bombers.

My only regret is that I forgot to comp anybody before it was too late...07 to him & my whole team...both flanks really stuck together pretty well throughout the whole match (as you can see I only spotted 4 of those squadrons & 11 of those torps so the team definitely helped out on this 1).

I'm glad it was in the Lyon though as one of the funnest game I ever witnessed was a 3 Lyon HE spamming div against my Moltov (which was 1st blood to them). Being 1st blood allowed me to jump from ship to ship & just watch as my team melted away 1 by 1. Although I'm pretty fond of the cits the Lyon is capable of so I stick mainly to AP in it that was highly entertaining to watch.

Edited by IfYouSeeKhaos
  • Cool 4

[NDA]
Supertester
4,841 posts
13,799 battles

Congrats, :cap_like:

My only Clear Skies medal [old version] was with my Scharnhorst. Had two enemy Carriers tag team me all match. 

Yesterday I scored my first AA Defense medal with the Worcester. Shot down 39 Essex planes but it was the fighter planes the Alabama lunched right before it died that gave me 40 plane kills. Getting a CV to focus you AA boat can be a chore but watching the planes fall is enjoyable. 

:cap_cool:

Members
1,835 posts
17,651 battles
1 hour ago, RedSeaBear said:

Congrats, :cap_like:

My only Clear Skies medal [old version] was with my Scharnhorst. Had two enemy Carriers tag team me all match. 

Yesterday I scored my first AA Defense medal with the Worcester. Shot down 39 Essex planes but it was the fighter planes the Alabama lunched right before it died that gave me 40 plane kills. Getting a CV to focus you AA boat can be a chore but watching the planes fall is enjoyable. 

:cap_cool:

I remember the Atlanta battle where I shot down the 23 planes...2 T5 CVs had their groups together & came for me...that was 1 DFAA that took all 23 of those planes down at once:Smile_facepalm:...needless to say they stayed way clear of me the rest of that battle. :Smile_teethhappy:

Supertester
3,004 posts
10,057 battles

Grats OP.

It can be hard for us non CV players to get that Clear Sky's achievement. I too only have one and of all things it came when I was playing my Texas.

Killed 31 planes in a match where a T5 CV kept feeding me for some reason... Then again it was back when the Texas had just came out and not everyone had gotten the memo to steer clear of trying to torp it from the air, bomb it or even dog fight near it. lol

[WOLFB]
Members
1,725 posts
8,251 battles

I think the only Clear Sky I have is with the old AS Bogue. GG

[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
1,683 posts
8,128 battles
3 hours ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

1st "Clear Sky" type achievement (I don't run CVs obviously):

shot-18_10.02_21_17.31-0513.thumb.jpg.aeabaa2e74f65bfd2de63f987eb0bac5.jpg

But I do have 668 battles in the Atlanta though & the most I ever shot down w/it is 23 (although I do tend to run hydro in it a lot as I don't see enough CVs & even w/out it the AA is pretty good & I like to concentrate on hunting down DDs & like to know when cruisers are troping at me too)...& the only other game w/more than that was the Iron Duke w/27.

Of course it was just a low tiered plane Kaga but the CV player was good enough to take top of the team:

shot-18_10.02_21_17.36-0349.thumb.jpg.a01c7210a8468b90e608ecf90b4b3d67.jpg

And I was glad he was in his Kaga & not his Saipan...he would have been able to shoot down all of my CVs planes real fast in Saipan & a few of the plane kills came from shooting down his fighters that were tied up w/my CVs fighters:

shot-18_10.02_21_17.41-0573.thumb.jpg.ab1039cbdd9ea662a4a52d19780bc704.jpg

Only 11...but w/him in the Saipan I'm sure it would have been 0 as I was locking on the strike planes 1st to help out my cruiser & DD that was hanging real close by me as we were chasing him down before locking onto the fighters & in the Saipan he would have annihilated the planes faster & not been tied up to farm his fighters off of & I needed at least 3 of those.

He was concentrating on the DD & cruiser so I was able to keep full speed & concentrate on locking onto his individual planes & not having to dodge any torps while he got them 1st...& by the time he sunk them & came for me he was almost dead...& because I was able to keep full speed I was able to dodge all but 1 of his torps & a couple of his dive bombers.

My only regret is that I forgot to comp anybody before it was too late...07 to him & my whole team...both flanks really stuck together pretty well throughout the whole match (as you can see I only spotted 4 of those squadrons & 11 of those torps so the team definitely helped out on this 1).

I'm glad it was in the Lyon though as one of the funnest game I ever witnessed was a 3 Lyon HE spamming div against my Moltov (which was 1st blood to them). Being 1st blood allowed me to jump from ship to ship & just watch as my team melted away 1 by 1. Although I'm pretty fond of the cits the Lyon is capable of so I stick mainly to AP in it that was highly entertaining to watch.

Grats, in over a thousand battles in my Atlanta, I've yet to bag a  clear sky once.

Members
1,835 posts
17,651 battles
30 minutes ago, BURN_Miner said:

Grats OP.

It can be hard for us non CV players to get that Clear Sky's achievement. I too only have one and of all things it came when I was playing my Texas.

Killed 31 planes in a match where a T5 CV kept feeding me for some reason... Then again it was back when the Texas had just came out and not everyone had gotten the memo to steer clear of trying to torp it from the air, bomb it or even dog fight near it. lol

I got the Texas in a Santa crate but only played a few battles in it...I was more of a DD main when I got it & kinda overlooked it when I got more into BBs but it definitely handles the air raids well.

24 minutes ago, AlcatrazNC said:

I think the only Clear Sky I have is with the old AS Bogue. GG

TY

18 minutes ago, Crokodone said:

Grats, in over a thousand battles in my Atlanta, I've yet to bag a  clear sky once.

TY...CVs sure do know how to steer clear of them don't they? It's why I usually equip hydro on mine even though you get unlimited DF charges because even when there is a CV in a match they just stay away from you anyway & the basic AA does a pretty good job on it's own...& the hydro always comes in handy.

[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
1,683 posts
8,128 battles
1 minute ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

TY...CVs sure do know how to steer clear of them don't they? It's why I usually equip hydro on mine even though you get unlimited DF charges because even when there is a CV in a match they just stay away from you anyway & the basic AA does a pretty good job on it's own...& the hydro always comes in handy.

CVs only stay away after being bitten by DFAA, especially in the early game. That CV driver must have been extremely stubborn or was trying to force the belief CVs were op by walking over an AA ship: didn't work. :Smile_honoring:

Members
1,835 posts
17,651 battles
13 hours ago, Crokodone said:

CVs only stay away after being bitten by DFAA, especially in the early game. That CV driver must have been extremely stubborn or was trying to force the belief CVs were op by walking over an AA ship: didn't work. :Smile_honoring:

Actually I prefer when they notice I don't have DFAA & focus me (sometimes happens right after I hydro a good dodging DD & he reports that my "radar" lasted an extremely long time before I killed him)...Atlanta can dodge torps & bombs pretty good on it's own & it stops them from attacking my teammates when they're wasting all their drops on me just so they can attempt to be able to say "look how good I am...I sank an Atlanta in my CV"...even w/out DFAA I can dodge most CV drops in it anyway.

[PVE]
Members
9,658 posts
7,466 battles

Congrats @IfYouSeeKhaos.

I've shot down 37 in a T9 Baltimore, but it wasn't 50% of the planes, so I still yet to get a clear skies.

Now that you are a menace to CVs, I'm sure they will be seeking you out to sink you. :Smile_teethhappy:  Congrats again tho. GL&FS

[WOLF1]
Members
2,018 posts

this achievement is really for dumb CV players for sending planes endlessly to their death

[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
1,683 posts
8,128 battles
4 hours ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

Actually I prefer when they notice I don't have DFAA & focus me (sometimes happens right after I hydro a good dodging DD & he reports that my "radar" lasted an extremely long time before I killed him)...Atlanta can dodge torps & bombs pretty good on it's own & it stops them from attacking my teammates when they're wasting all their drops on me just so they can attempt to be able to say "look how good I am...I sank an Atlanta in my CV"...even w/out DFAA I can dodge most CV drops in it anyway.

Whether or not he poses a torpedo threat to you depends on what nation and what tier he is. IJN CVs get +/=2 torp squadrons and if he's cross dropping you he'd have to be bad to miss unless you can eradicate one of his squadrons.

Also, experienced cv drivers will amass their entire flight group to blob over you like a cloud. This is why its better to be cought with DFAA than without it. Often times, if you survive to the late game, the enemy CV will have no choice to go after you. If its a bogue or zuiho its a worm breeze; If its a Kaga, Lexington(huge HE bombs) or Shokaku? GL. When facing Lexingtons a d Essex's i fear their DBs more than their single TB squadron. 

[TAFY3]
Members
353 posts
7,327 battles

Congratulations!  I love the Atlanta. 

If you're ever feeling like fighting dirty:

division up with a CV and you'll get one nearly every match! 

image.thumb.png.f188f27b921f8836967847bcb4567299.png

Edited by driedjello

[-K-]
Members
612 posts
4,832 battles

Congrats to the OP it is a good achievement. 

Another cheeky way to earn one is to sit your mino in smoke on the other side of an island where he cv is.

Turkey shoot is an accurate term

Members
1,835 posts
17,651 battles
20 hours ago, Happy668 said:

this achievement is really for dumb CV players for sending planes endlessly to their death

As his team kinda folded on 1 flank (more I think to my teams coordinated efforts than due to their bad play mind you) he was spotted & didn't have much choice but to keep sending them at us while running away...he did manage to sink the DD & CA that were w/me before going down...& although I got some shots into him he was able to keep me distracted enough that I didn't manage to get the kill shot on him...I didn't take a lot of hits from him but even some of those torps I didn't spot I had to do some maneuvering to dodge as he was lining up shots on the DD & cruiser to head my way too.

In other words it wasn't like I was like I was in some place where he didn't need to keep sending them at us...he survived a lot longer than he would have had he not sent them at our group as me & the DD & cruiser would have had free reign to just keep opening up on him if he hadn't instead of having to keep dodging.

It was amazing how fast the Lyon ate through his planes once I locked on a squad although they are only T5 planes I believe on the Kaga so maybe not that amazing...fortunately I had just upgraded my Hull for the AA boost just 2 battles before this 1.

Edited by IfYouSeeKhaos

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Members
2,838 posts
1,327 battles
On 10/3/2018 at 3:55 AM, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

I remember the Atlanta battle where I shot down the 23 planes...2 T5 CVs had their groups together & came for me...that was 1 DFAA that took all 23 of those planes down at once:Smile_facepalm:...needless to say they stayed way clear of me the rest of that battle. :Smile_teethhappy:

I had two Langleys go after my Texas about the second time I had her out.  24 kills.

[R-F1]
Beta Testers
1,867 posts
6,855 battles

Last clear skies I got was a couple months ago when I took out an AA spec Des Moines for the hell of it and the red CV kept trying to get the bbs near me.

Last one before that, i think was about a month after the end of cbt when you could still get multiple CVS per team and they weren't mirrored.

Alpha Tester
23 posts
3,132 battles

I'm gonna piggy back on this thread for a question, is it not possible for CV's to get clear skies anymore? I just played this game in my lex and got 42 kills and didn't get it.

Screenshot (26).png