Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
kgh52

Operation Dynamo

48 comments in this topic

[TDRB]
Members
1,141 posts
4,295 battles

Will operation Dynamo remain after October 3rd as a scenario? For some reason I am thinking I saw where this was for the 2 weeks only. My searches have not found the answer. That does not mean I didn't overlook it, which is possible.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,238 posts
14,665 battles
9 minutes ago, kgh52 said:

Will operation Dynamo remain after October 3rd as a scenario? For some reason I am thinking I saw where this was for the 2 weeks only. My searches have not found the answer. That does not mean I didn't overlook it, which is possible.

Operations rotate as the "Active" one.  The active one, you can queue up by yourself or whatever and go.  The inactive ones you see in the game, you can only play with a Division.  So whenever Op.Dynamo becomes the inactive one, you need a Division to play it.  Eventually when it returns to active, you can queue up by yourself if you want.

[WOLF9]
Members
1,110 posts
Just now, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Operations rotate as the "Active" one.  The active one, you can queue up by yourself or whatever and go.  The inactive ones you see in the game, you can only play with a Division.  So whenever Op.Dynamo becomes the inactive one, you need a Division to play it.  Eventually when it returns to active, you can queue up by yourself if you want.

And an operation bulletin board/sign up sheet is an idea WG should implement. List all the ops, and let people sign up for the one they are interested in. When they get enough players, off they go.

• Cool 6

[PVE]
Members
198 posts
5,316 battles
1 hour ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

The gun barrels on my Sims are approaching melting point, need a break ;)

Edited by evanr1940
  • Funny 1

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
580 posts
3,712 battles

You aren't the only one farming the crap out of Dynamo these past 2 weeks.  I think it's a great op.  I wish the T7 operation were half as fun.

• Cool 2

[PVE]
Members
5,698 posts
18,273 battles

Dynamo is the best OP to farm IMHO. I have played them all but this one is the easiest to beat once you know the pattern. The only time things go differently is when players run way out on the NE flank or into the gap quickly (yes looking at you Leningrad players) or into the minefield. The planes will then alter their strategy and go after those first before attacking the fleet. Even a Sims would struggle mightily to fend off all those air attacks on its own.

So far this time around (played it before) I have gotten one captain up to 19 points, one to 16 points, finished the Gnevy grind, finished the Minsk grind and unlocked the Kiev and Ognavoi, finished the Jervis grind to unlock the next ship (Lightning I think) when it hits the live server, and my Free XP balance has blasted past the one million mark. I am now just playing Dynamo to grind out my 3 daily crates quickly and banking the Elite XP. By the time it is over, should have my Halsey to 19 points or very close.

BTW Slattery is right. Besides being very farmable, the OP is fun. It is fast paced and nothing is assured. Mistakes can get punished so you have to play well to get the 5 stars.

Edited by Taylor3006

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
580 posts
3,712 battles

@Taylor3006

Wow!  Here I was all proud of my farming to the Jervis, grinding through the Farragut and the Mahan and getting a solid start on my Gnevny.  If I'm a farmer, you're one of those gigantic corporate farming conglomerates like ConAgra Foods!

Very high quality farming over the last 2 weeks.  Nice job. :)

One thing that I learned with the Mahan was that I could buy the C hull and use it for the op then switch back to the B hull for regular combat.  I run premium dfaa and can usually count on dropping 20-30 planes even with Simses shooting the hell out of anything with wings.

Edited by Captain_Slattery

[PVE]
Members
5,698 posts
18,273 battles
2 minutes ago, Captain_Slattery said:

@Taylor3006

Wow!  Here I was all proud of my farming to the Jervis, grinding through the Farragut and the Mahan and getting a solid start on my Gnevny.  If I'm a farmer, you're one of those gigantic corporate farming conglomerates like ConAgra Foods!

Very high quality farming over the last 2 weeks.  Nice job. :)

I have probably played Dynamo 500 times by now. This is the second time I farmed this OP, they released it around a year ago and worked it over until it ended. I use full flags and sometimes premium consumables which I only do playing Ranked, never in PvP or PvE. I save all my signals for this event and burn thru them. The scenario is quite stable for me where some of the others cause me lag or crashes. Not one issue ever with Dynamo computer wise. If you only play co-op like I do, this is your best chance to grind lots of XP, Free XP, and ship lines quickly so take every advantage of the event while you can. It really is worth it. Good luck Slattery!

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
580 posts
3,712 battles

Oh, yeah.  I fly every special flag I have and will put special camo on, too.  I am a PvE main and I consider some of these ops as my opportunity to bank.

The only minor issue I get is at the end of the scenario where my fps will dip into the 40s.  I don't even notice.

Edited by Captain_Slattery

[PVE]
Members
5,698 posts
18,273 battles
3 minutes ago, Captain_Slattery said:

Oh, yeah.  I fly every special flag I have and will put special camo on, too.  I am a PvE main and I consider some of these ops as my opportunity to bank.

The only minor issue I get is at the end of the scenario where my fps will dip into the 40s.  I don't even notice.

I think one reason you get a bit of a dip is all those planes and boats spawning at the same time. I have noticed that as well but once they are on the map, things should stabilize. IMHO the big problem with all the OPs is lag caused by bot spawning into the game. Smarter people than I call it a memory leak, I kind of think it is a ship rendering issue..

[TDRB]
Members
1,141 posts
4,295 battles
41 minutes ago, evanr1940 said:

The gun barrels on my Sims are approaching melting point, need a break ;)

Same here

[WOLF8]
[WOLF8]
Members
2,496 posts
3,432 battles

I agree that the Operation Dynamo can be quite fun and very profitable, but I feel like I'm an outlier who just can't quite keep up the same enthusiasm. Please don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the operation is bad or anything, but I just don't feel like playing it again after getting 5 stars.

My biggest gripe is the limited ship types and nations for admittance. Frankly, the latest three Operations all have this, and I can't say I'm happy with it.

My next gripe is how... extreme the operation can be when it comes to ship performance. I have to bring either a laser accuracy to nail those zippity Schnell bootz, or awesome AA to shoot down all the planes. Otherwise, I feel like I'm just a fifth wheel doing nothing but smoking up the convoy... which exactly happened in my Gallant and Aigle when I first tried the operation in those two botes. Sigh.

What's worse for me is that a guild mate was gracious enough to gift me the Sims, which I'm eternally grateful and I did buy something for him to try to repay his generosity, but I feel like I'm secretly letting him down by not using the ship in the operation more. :Smile_sad:

So I'm just sitting here waiting for the other non-restricted operations to return to rotation... :Smile_sceptic:

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
580 posts
3,712 battles

As good as they are, Aigle and Gallant both suffer in this op because of the pitiful aa.  I ran mine a few times and felt the same as you.  I want to contribute, not get carried.

I was really happy to be able to take my Mahan in this week.  

[TDRB]
Members
1,141 posts
4,295 battles

My biggest gripe is the limited ship types and nations for admittance. Frankly, the latest three Operations all have this, and I can't say I'm happy with it.

You do have a point. UF is the only operation where I can play my T7 German ships.

[TDRB]
Members
1,141 posts
4,295 battles

Several operations were all US DD's. Planes were swept from the sky quickly but the E-boats were not sunk as quickly.

[APOC]
Members
637 posts
11,801 battles
1 hour ago, Blorgh2017 said:

So I'm just sitting here waiting for the other non-restricted operations to return to rotation... :Smile_sceptic:

You don't need to wait if you want to join an organized operations division/group. We even have our own discord. Just tonight we ran Dynamo, Narai, and Aegis. We will switch around operations by request and we have helped people get 5 stars in operations they need them in. Almost everyone is welcome to come join us as long as you behave and work with the group. There is only one person I can think of right now that we wouldn't accept. If anyone is interested, just send me a message.

[APOC]
Members
637 posts
11,801 battles

image.thumb.png.4a969f4535517a5b9a8bb730b1bb5a4f.png

image.png

You also don't need a USN destroyer to do well. I reconfigured my Minsk to be AA specced. You can see the result.

Edited by Lightninger

[PVE]
Members
5,698 posts
18,273 battles

Nicely done Lightninger. The Russian DDs do quite well if spec'd for AA. They have far more utility than the British ones IMHO. Decent smoke, good AA, and are quick. The guns are quite good as well. I started with my Gnevny that was fully upgraded and plopped on the two AA modules. I spec'd my Russian captain for AA (AFT/BFT) who started out as a 10 or 11 pointer. I used her in Dynamo until I finished the Gnevny grind, finished the Minsk grind, unlocked Kiev an Ognavoi and ended up with a 16 point Russian DD captain. I was going to keep using the Minsk to get the captain up to 18 but got the Jervis in a crate so decided to play it until I had enough xp to unlock the tier 8 UK DD when it hit the tech tree.

The Russian DDs are far superior. The UK DDs were just a miserable experience in Dynamo.

[4HIM]
Members
1,818 posts
4,176 battles
3 hours ago, Captain_Slattery said:

You aren't the only one farming the crap out of Dynamo these past 2 weeks.  I think it's a great op.  I wish the T7 operation were half as fun.

I've enjoyed this one a lot as well.  But a lot of 5 star wins in it.  I just hope and pray that they don't give it the Ultimate FU treatment.  UF used to be this much fun before they 'adjusted' it.  

[4HIM]
Members
1,818 posts
4,176 battles
2 hours ago, Taylor3006 said:

The UK DDs were just a miserable experience in Dynamo.

Yeah, odd innit?  An Op made to promote the upcoming RN DD's and they're the absolute worst ones for this Op.  Only used Gallant (and toward the end Icarus) a couple times in it.  Utter lack of any AA makes them some of the weakest candidates for Dynamo.  Though I did mange to shoot down 3 planes in Gallant.  Even I didn't believe it when I saw the post game results.  

Edited by ZARDOZ_II

Members
736 posts

well I suppose its over now, but it got me 2 x 19pts commanders and have enough EXP to take a third to 16pts.

the sad part is raptor rescue now seams to be listed for 2 weeks rather than the normal 1 week and I thought Hermes was next on the list :Smile_sad:

rr2week.jpg

[4HIM]
Members
1,818 posts
4,176 battles
3 hours ago, Blorgh2017 said:

Not only that, but the last three have all been Allied only ships.  Need some Axis Ops.  In Dynamo, I don't think the IJN DD's would have been great, but the German DD's might have done okay.  

But we do need some Axis Ops.  Perhaps they could model something similar to Hermes, but make it the Channel Dash for the Axis.  

[INTEL]
Members
812 posts
8,362 battles
4 hours ago, kgh52 said:

You do have a point. UF is the only operation where I can play my T7 German ships.

Forgetting Narai? There's no nation restriction for that T7 op. 

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,238 posts
14,665 battles
1 hour ago, ZARDOZ_II said:

Yeah, odd innit?  An Op made to promote the upcoming RN DD's and they're the absolute worst ones for this Op.  Only used Gallant (and toward the end Icarus) a couple times in it.  Utter lack of any AA makes them some of the weakest candidates for Dynamo.  Though I did mange to shoot down 3 planes in Gallant.  Even I didn't believe it when I saw the post game results.  

Check this out!  You would think that a team with THREE Sims would be a cake walk, but it wasn't.  It was a nightmare.  Most of our Sims had no idea what that ship could do in Operation Dynamo.  One was so far forward ahead of the team that it's AA wasn't in range of any planes.  But he's dead as of this screenshot.  We lose 3 players before this finishes, we fail the 7 transport optional as well as failing the 80 bomber optional.  When we cleared the channel between the mines, the bombers were all over us nonstop.

DOPCVnC.jpg

We completed the Op still, but as you can see, despite 3 Sims, they potatoed it and failed in the AA capacity.

3lt64Uk.jpg

You know your Triple Sims group is sad when an Icarus with no AA skills almost kills as many planes as 2 out of 3 of our team's Sims. :Smile_teethhappy:

[RKN]
Beta Testers
1,017 posts
9,113 battles

I used my AA spec’d Sims and Monaghan B hull to good effect - nearly 2M EXP with all the Dragon flags and special flags after the anniversary. I think I’ll bump my Cleveland Cap to 18pts and train him up with AFT, BFT, and manual AA. That guy would be a terror in this OP skippering the Sims. 

This OP was much easier with these T6 & T7 DDs. The only AA skill I had on my captain AFT, and I was able to routinely get 40-60 plane kills per match. I suspect it will be withdrawn or change in the future. 

Sign in to follow this