You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Falran

Chat Moderation Initiative Needs Improvement

61 comments in this topic

[HAI]
Members
9 posts
1,025 battles

I received a random email warning as part of the Chat Moderation Initiative.  It was entirely useless as it didn't actually include any logs or relevant information about what was considered inappropriate.

I'm still a fairly new player to this game and rarely ever chat, except to provide useful coordination to my team and occasionally constructive feedback/dialogue regarding our game plan or tactics.   

I'm certain none of my chat has been inappropriate, as I'm always keenly aware of how important communication is and how important it is to create a sense of teamwork and community in games like these.  It's beyond useless to send out warnings that don't explicitly include what's considered inappropriate and worse, it's extremely condescending. 

Wargaming needs to re-evaluate the goals of their chat moderation initiative, as alienating your player base with random warnings is not going to create a better culture or community experience, it's only going to add fuel to the cycle of negativity.  You create a better community by leading by example and rewarding those who do so and by quietly punishing and discouraging inappropriate behavior.  This current initiative needs improvement in it's scope and application. 

• Cool 5

Members
1,353 posts
506 battles

If you got an email then your chat was inappropriate... and I would know because I got one, and my chat this week, has been...... inappropriate...

I think this initiative has a LOT to do with the debacle from last week... and perhaps they are going to look more in depth at what people are saying based on "misbehavior in chat" reports in games.... 
I would HOPE that they look at the chat logs after getting a certain number of reports and not the AUTO CHAT BAN system they have in place where you get a ban after reports but they don't actually LOOK at things you said to prove it was not players abusing the report just to get you banned cause they dont like you....
I hope this works out better than the current system in place

getting looked into and then they make a penalty based on the very toxic level of chat makes MORE sense then AUTO BANNING for three days because 6 people reported you regardless of you NOT being toxic at all.... and that seems to happen a lot more than most people realize...

Edited by neptunes_wrath
  • Bad 2

[TF16]
Members
826 posts
5,139 battles
2 minutes ago, neptunes_wrath said:

If you got an email then your chat was inappropriate... and I would know because I got one, and my chat this week, has been...... inappropriate...

I think this initiative has a LOT to do with the debacle from last week... and perhaps they are going to look more in depth at waht people are saying based on misbehavior in chat reports in games.... 
I would HOPE that they look at the chat logs after getting a certain number of reports and not the AUTO CHAT BAN system they have in place where you get a ban after reports but they don't actually LOOK at things you said to prove it was not players abusing the report just to get you banned cause they dont like you....

What was the debacle from last week?

I got the email and while I know that I vent, it would be nice to know what exactly they are going after.  

[TDRB]
Members
1,144 posts
4,297 battles

and occasionally constructive feedback/dialogue regarding our game plan or tactics.

^^^^^^This is most likely why.

The present system needs an overhaul.

[WGA]
Administrator
703 posts
251 battles

We appreciate your feedback on this new initiative.  To be clear the goal here is not to action people who occasionally say something in appropriate.  If you are consistently using words or phrases considered inappropriate however, there is a possibility you may end up this list.  Please just be mindful of how you use chat and bear in mind we do review it. 

• Cool 2
  • Bad 1

[PLPT]
Members
642 posts
6,913 battles

Players realized that only the chat report does anything, and they are using it for any complaint, whether poor play, bad chat, or whatever. Since the ban is automatic and not reviewed, it is easily abused. They’ve replaced abusive chat with an abusive reporting system.

Update: I guess Radar says they review chats, but if that is the case, OP is absolutely justified in asking for what specifically he was banned for. If they review using an automated search, then it’s not very helpful and open to abuse.

Edited by n00bot
  • Cool 1

[REVY]
Beta Testers
261 posts
1,680 battles
1 minute ago, n00bot said:

Players realized that only the chat report does anything, and they are using it for any complaint, whether poor play, bad chat, or whatever. Since the ban is automatic and not reviewed, it is easily abused. They’ve replaced abusive chat with an abusive reporting system.

I actually worked this theory once. I played a bunch of low tier games where I wrecked a ton of people, like multiple high damage games.

I never once used Chat other than the auto response keys and after 4 hours of playing I got an auto chat ban "banned by complaints". I lol'ed so hard my wife had to come see what was going on. 

• Cool 4

[BIAS]
Members
3,163 posts
9,306 battles
4 minutes ago, n00bot said:

I assume this new system they have announced is an automatic process that looks for specific words. 

[REVY]
Beta Testers
261 posts
1,680 battles

I'm also curious if they are doing this with WOT as chat there is significantly worse than here. That's coming from 5 years of playing it before I deleted it forever this January. 

[70]
Members
974 posts
3,846 battles
23 minutes ago, Radar_X said:

If you are consistently using words or phrases considered inappropriate

You mean that everyone who plays Tier 8+ ships have probably cursed the existence of the Khab, Harugumo, and Worcester enough that chat should be removed from tier 8+ games.

Because when the balancing department at WG is consistently awful enough to give us the likes of Khabarovsk, Defender, 268V4, and now Harugumo, they should probably EXPECT players to be dissatisfied (I hear there's a particular nickname for the Khab...).

22 minutes ago, n00bot said:

OP is absolutely justified in asking for what specifically he was banned for.

I agree, show me the goddamned proof of me breaking rules or don't be annoyed when I move onto games with better rule administration.

I got two games in a row of High Caliber + Confederate yesterday.

I think some of the other team might have been buttmad that I was in ships I complained about at the time (stock Alsace first game, also a new record for me in damage at 198K, and Yorck in second game).

Edited by Guardian54
  • Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[SF-E]
Members
354 posts
9,834 battles

Any thoughts if they are looking for specific "bingo" words or actual content/contextual insults?

[WGA]
Administrator
703 posts
251 battles
4 minutes ago, Octavian_of_Roma said:

Was OP actually banned from something? Or are you just making up stuff.

No action were taken on accounts from this system today, only chat warnings.  Right now we're ensuring the system as working as we expect and answering any questions we can.

Supertester
3,004 posts
10,057 battles
24 minutes ago, firemedic1428 said:

I actually worked this theory once. I played a bunch of low tier games where I wrecked a ton of people, like multiple high damage games.

I never once used Chat other than the auto response keys and after 4 hours of playing I got an auto chat ban "banned by complaints". I lol'ed so hard my wife had to come see what was going on. 

That's funny, I can do the same thing and I have "zero" warning points over the last three years and have never had to protest anything. Why? Because despite my karma going up and down, it's never been to the point of auto-suspension or reviewed... 

I would have thought that after my 9,300+ games compared to your 1,600'ish, I too would have seen your theory at least once...

hhmm

Edited by BURN_Miner
  • Boring 2

[PLPT]
Members
642 posts
6,913 battles
9 minutes ago, _Big_Lou_ said:

Any thoughts if they are looking for specific "bingo" words or actual content/contextual insults?

Human review is expensive, so I can almost guarantee any “review” is simply an automated search for trigger words, and who hasn’t cursed now and then?  It doesn’t mean it’s abusive.  I can say a bad word because I’m mad at myself or at being in a tough situation.  That doesn’t mean it’s abusive or directed at another player.  Similarly, you can be abusive of someone without using any trigger words.

If they insist on automating bans to help their bottom line, then WG needs to at least provide the banned player with a transcript and recourse for appeal.

Edited by n00bot

[BIAS]
Members
3,163 posts
9,306 battles
1 minute ago, n00bot said:

Human review is expensive, so I can almost guarantee any “review” is simply an automated search for trigger words.

Absolutely, and I'd be curious to know what they are. 

I can call myself an idiot, will that trigger a warning? It's not against the rules to speak truth about yourself. However if you use profanities at all, that would be against the rules. 

[SC]
Members
1,580 posts
10,042 battles

BTW   I've had chat bans for just instructing the team of strategy and how to set up players so we have better odds at winning. Some players think it's cute to select report me for this, basically giving advise. That's all it takes for  a ban. The chat moderation is far from perfect. You are better removing the chat all together. Conversing is dangerous. 

Edited by STINKWEED_
  • Cool 1
  • Boring 1

Members
1,353 posts
506 battles
22 minutes ago, BURN_Miner said:

That's funny, I can do the same thing and I have "zero" warning points over the last three years and have never had to protest anything. Why? Because despite my karma going up and down, it's never been to the point of auto-suspension or reviewed... 

I would have thought that after my 9,300+ games compared to your 1,600'ish, I too would have seen your theory at least once...

hhmm

well I can only report you ONCE a game  so it will take a while...

VS7zXjq.gif

• Funny 2

Members
220 posts
7,619 battles

I got an email too. It really bummed me out because I am not negative and try to not insult people and stuff brohans. I did indeed say the worcester was a xxxx boat which I guess someone reported me for. That bummed me out.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,727 posts
9,120 battles
1 hour ago, neptunes_wrath said:

I think this initiative has a LOT to do with the debacle from last week... and perhaps they are going to look more in depth at what people are saying based on "misbehavior in chat" reports in games.... 

getting looked into and then they make a penalty based on the very toxic level of chat makes MORE sense then AUTO BANNING for three days because 6 people reported you regardless of you NOT being toxic at all.... and that seems to happen a lot more than most people realize...

Some people even when they are not technically misbehaving in chat seem to have the knack of pushing peoples buttons.

[NGA]
Alpha Tester
9,718 posts
3,941 battles
55 minutes ago, Radar_X said:

there is a possibility you may end up this list.

Please tell me one of ya'll has a sparkly light-up jacket.

list.thumb.jpg.edddde21a1e4d75b6e12527f20c527fe.jpg