You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Siegewolf

T5 Ranked Recommendations

120 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
498 posts
6,565 battles

Other threads are discussing these ships.  Just wanted to start a list for short attention span people (like me ...ooo shiny).  These are my choices but not everyone's cup-of-tea so please feel free to chime in with your list to help out players making T5 Ranked choices:

BB

Oktyabrskaya Revolutsiya - Decent guns, unique damage control party, ok AA. Small health pool 

Giulio Cesare - Decent guns and traverse but dispersion is wonky, stealthy, AA is limited.  

Texas - decent guns, awesome AA (but HE vulnerable), slow

Kongo - Good guns and speed, poor AA and can be seen from orbit

CA

Furutaka - Big guns with short range/long reload (shell arcs take getting used to), good torps.

Kirov - Good guns and range. Gets spotting aircraft, fast but poor camo (concealment)

DD

Kamikaze (and varients) - Better in every way to any other torpedo boat at its tier.  19pt captains will make this DD a serious threat

Gremyashchy Pretty much the gun boat at this tier.  Many people have them from purchase/crates.  19 pt captains skills can help the traverse issues

IMHO there isn't a lot of good choices for cruisers.  Although desperately needed as a counter to DD's, these players will need to be good or get deleted early (which will lead to people not playing them).  I do not consider myself a CV player, I do have them, just don't consider myself a good judge to give a recommendation to others.  I'll leave that to better CV drivers.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[D12]
[D12]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,084 posts
8,973 battles

Kamikazes are going to rule... you might be lucky and I won't be able to participate.   CV might be the equalizer in Rank.  Good CVs will negate anything I do.

Beta Testers
498 posts
6,565 battles

Yeah I agree, on the Kamikaze. Its a good boat which frankly I need to go back to before the season starts just to practice.  Haven't really been playing down at T5 much which does play differently, of course, from T9/10. 

I really should have added Kongo (and variants) - forgot people have the copies we received with the ARP missions.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
1,237 posts
4,804 battles

No doubt Kamikaze will rule the roost for DDs. Don't know why but I do better in ARP Kongou than Kongou It'd be my choice for sure. Furataka fully upgraded is/can be quite formidable she really taught me IJN cruiser play.. CVs.. nah!

Members
220 posts
7,619 battles

Here we are brohans in a spot where people who had the opportunity to acquire an overpowered boat gets to play it in a competitive forum, while those that did not acquire this boat cannot. Why WG allows this type of gameplay is confusing to me brohans but I'm sure I'm not as smart as you fellow warship playing brohans.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1

[B2P]
[B2P]
Beta Testers
135 posts
7,182 battles

All Kamikazes types will only rule (just like any IJN destroyer) if the other team allows them to run around unopposed. Any destroyer player that's experienced and aggressive enough in a decent gunboat spec destroyer using Radio Location can just chase you down, then gun you to death without you being unable to do anything about it.

Ranked at these tiers has always been ruled by gunboat/hybrid type destroyers. A pure torpedo boat is not going to change that.

• Cool 1

[FAE]
Members
2,161 posts
2,639 battles

Does Acasta have hydro? Its very good seems like...

[TF_34]
[TF_34]
Members
1,139 posts
6,829 battles
2 minutes ago, cthuhulu said:

KM BB Konig should do well, very accurate at t5.

Pretty good secondaries too. 

[UDEAD]
Beta Testers
1,047 posts
10,486 battles

Gremy wins the 1 v 1 over the Kami while the Kami is pure death to tier 5 BB's.  DD play will be critical and the side whose DD's are smarter and stay alive will win more matches.  All of the tier 5 BB's have strengths and weaknesses - so it's a toss up for them.  The Emile Bertin will be the sleeper cruiser at tier 5, it's resistance to getting citadeled and only eating over pens will make it the premier DD "sweeper" for teams that don't have good gunboat DD's.

• Cool 1

[BEER]
Members
177 posts
1,679 battles

Murmansk is a fantastic Tier 5 ship, sit bow in and let 5 guns loose with a good reload time of 7 seconds, good fire chance base, outstanding range and 8 KM Torps too.  

• Cool 1

[GN_BR]
Members
127 posts
4,724 battles
7 minutes ago, Gen_Saris said:

Pretty good secondaries too. 

Speccing for secondaries on the konig (bft and aft) makes this a decent aa ship as well.

Edited by cthuhulu
  • Cool 1

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,447 posts
3,875 battles
4 minutes ago, Zenn3k said:

Murmansk is a fantastic Tier 5 ship, sit bow in and let 5 guns loose with a good reload time of 7 seconds, good fire chance base, outstanding range and 8 KM Torps too.  

Furutaka AP will ruin a bow-tanking Murmansk without even thinking about it. You have to consider the fact that bow armor on tier 5 cruisers is thin enough that even 20.3cm AP can overmatch it.

And trying to bow-tank literally any battleship? Forget about it. You need to be moving and evading if you intend to use Murmansk, Omaha, or Marblehead.

Edited by KiyoSenkan

[SIDE]
Members
733 posts
3,285 battles

I feel at this rank CV will actually determine what side will win if it is heavy Fushan focused

They are practically worthless if a CV decides to ruin their day.

Beta Testers
498 posts
6,565 battles
6 minutes ago, BiggieD61 said:

Gremy wins the 1 v 1 over the Kami while the Kami is pure death to tier 5 BB's.  DD play will be critical and the side whose DD's are smarter and stay alive will win more matches.  All of the tier 5 BB's have strengths and weaknesses - so it's a toss up for them.  The Emile Bertin will be the sleeper cruiser at tier 5, it's resistance to getting citadeled and only eating over pens will make it the premier DD "sweeper" for teams that don't have good gunboat DD's.

Yeah, I didn't include the Emmy due to its paper thin armor.  But your point to over pens is a good one.

12 minutes ago, cthuhulu said:

KM BB Konig should do well, very accurate at t5.

Konig is not accurate and her turrets are really slow.  I would take a Kongo over a Konig (just my humble opinion) :)

[TF_34]
[TF_34]
Members
1,139 posts
6,829 battles
2 minutes ago, cthuhulu said:

Speccing for secondaries on the konig (bft and aft) makes this a decent aa ship as well.

Hadn't considered it, but I suppose you are right. That being said, without the ability to manual drop will people even play CVs?

• Cool 1

[BEER]
Members
177 posts
1,679 battles
1 minute ago, KiyoSenkan said:

Furutaka AP will ruin a bow-tanking Murmansk without even thinking about it. You have to consider the fact that bow armor on tier 5 cruisers is thin enough that even 20.3cm AP can overmatch it.

You aren't bow tanking to stop damage, you do it for two main other reasons:

1:  You have 5 guns on the face, this is equal to what you have broadside, so sitting bow-on....

2:  Gives you a harder to hit profile, a skinny target.  

Sure, you're gonna be over-matched, what CA isn't?    

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,447 posts
3,875 battles
Just now, Siegewolf said:

Konig is not accurate and her turrets are really slow.  I would take a Kongo over a Konig (just my humble opinion) :)

Yeah, with as many games in Kongos as I have-- Konig is very overrated. She's strong, but a decently played Kongo will never lose to Konig. The big equalizer is Konig has good armor but her guns are the smallest in tier 5, so she lacks penetration power.

Beta Testers
498 posts
6,565 battles

Problem I see with cruisers at T5 is that good people will do well with them however I fear more players will get deleted early and this will lead to more CV/BB/DD games with fewer and fewer cruisers (I could be wrong).

Got to add your lists guys :)

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,447 posts
3,875 battles
1 minute ago, Zenn3k said:

You aren't bow tanking to stop damage, you do it for two main other reasons:

1:  You have 5 guns on the face, this is equal to what you have broadside, so sitting bow-on....

2:  Gives you a harder to hit profile, a skinny target.  

Sure, you're gonna be over-matched, what CA isn't?    

Kinda makes you an easier target though. You're betting a lot on horizontal dispersion. A Kongo or Furutaka shooting at you has low horizontal, high vertical dispersion, and is therefore much more likely to hit you if you're bow tanking.

But hey if it works for you, I guess.

[TF_34]
[TF_34]
Members
1,139 posts
6,829 battles
Just now, Siegewolf said:

Pretty sure Konig is more accurate than Kongo. Plus it has 2 more barrels and a faster reload. 

[GN_BR]
Members
127 posts
4,724 battles
1 minute ago, Siegewolf said:

Yeah, I didn't include the Emmy due to its paper thin armor.  But your point to over pens is a good one.

Agreed the Kongo is a good accurate ship for sniping. But as mentioned the secondaries/aa combo along with the trollish konig armor make this ship pretty strong for competitive ranked.

[BEER]
Members
177 posts
1,679 battles
Just now, KiyoSenkan said:

Kinda makes you an easier target though. You're betting a lot on horizontal dispersion. A Kongo or Furutaka shooting at you has low horizontal, high vertical dispersion, and is therefore much more likely to hit you if you're bow tanking.

But hey if it works for you, I guess.

Its still better than going broadside.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,447 posts
3,875 battles
Just now, Zenn3k said:

Its still better than going broadside.

I prefer a sharp angle, to leverage my belt armor, but I play Furutaka a lot more than the Omaha triplets and actually have belt armor.