You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
dbw86

Captain's Names

16 comments in this topic

[-V1-]
Members
160 posts
4,575 battles

Why can't a method, hopefully very simple, be added to WoWs that would permit players to rename their ship's Captains?    I have Captains that have very similar, in fact even the exact same names and would love to be able to change them.    I do understand that the game's programmers are mostly Russian and are not as used to the various western names, and I suspect even Asian names.    Letting each player name their own Captains would permit each player to-more easily track their captains and which ships they are on.    

Just a suggestion.

dbw86

[WOLF9]
Beta Testers
630 posts
1,182 battles

How many doubloons are you willing to spend to change their names? You know damn well if WG implemented it, it would cost a ridiculous amount, just as it does in WoT.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Beta Testers
1,665 posts
3,815 battles
1 minute ago, Dr_Wigglespank said:

How many doubloons are you willing to spend to change their names? You know damn well if WG implemented it, it would cost a ridiculous amount, just as it does in WoT.

If it means that I can name my captain "Captain Jack Sparrow, the best pirate I've ever seen"

Then yes

[SIDE]
Members
1,247 posts
8,868 battles

...and of course, some would call their captains 'Biggus Dickus' and the like. I can't say this is a priority for WG. They should be prioritizing stuff like T8 MM seeing T10 games constantly etc.

• Bad 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,832 posts
11,526 battles

I believe you can dig through some game files to manually change captain names. Whether it is worth the effort is up to you.

[SBD]
[SBD]
Members
254 posts
3,464 battles

Captain Phil McKraken

IJN Captain Long Duck Dong ( with a pic of the Chinese guy in the movie 16 candles)

Russian captain Yakoff Smirnoff

I think I'm liking this idea, count me in.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,583 posts
8,995 battles

This should be able to be modded and you are the only one that will see the change but unfortunately the mod would need to be fixed with every patch.

[NWNG]
[NWNG]
Members
2,023 posts
3,512 battles
37 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

This should be able to be modded and you are the only one that will see the change but unfortunately the mod would need to be fixed with every patch.

I am already the only who can see the names, and portraits of my commanders. No where in the game, is there a method for you to go through my commander reserves, or my ships to see my commanders. So, me being the only one who can see the modded names, is already a non-issue.

• Cool 1

[SIDE]
Members
1,247 posts
8,868 battles
17 hours ago, Krupp_Sabot said:

It is kinda strange that this feature exists in WoT but not WoWS.

Yeah, but who in their right mind would pay WG's gold pricetag to do so? Not to mention, you're talking about changing the names on an entire crew in a tank(can't remember if you paid gold for each tank crew or all) versus one captain name in WoWs.

WG could probably do it in WoWs, but it could potentially get costly pretty fast.

Members
548 posts
2,102 battles
Just now, _Rumple_ said:

Yeah, but who in their right mind would pay WG's gold pricetag to do so? Not to mention, you're talking about changing the names on an entire crew in a tank(can't remember if you paid gold for each tank crew or all) versus one captain name in WoWs.

WG could probably do it in WoWs, but it could potentially get costly pretty fast.

That's why its strange. Wg has an opportunity to wrangle more gold from the players and but is restraining themselves.

Members
1,697 posts
7,233 battles
21 hours ago, Kapitan_Wuff said:

I believe you can dig through some game files to manually change captain names. Whether it is worth the effort is up to you.

Not really.  I mean you could change “Smith” to “Sparrow”, but that will change ALL “Smith” to “Sparrow”.  It does work if you want to single out unique captain like Yamamoto and swap his name and icon, but if you wanted to “split” generic captains with the same name it won’t work.  I never ran into this situation though, as there are enough available names to just end up with different variations each time you get awarded some captain.  If you recruit captain manually you can always try few times to get some choice going.

[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
1,682 posts
8,120 battles
21 hours ago, Dr_Wigglespank said:

The WoWs team is not the WoT party. So far they are most reasonable and actually listen to the player base. 

It be nice if WoWs team could persuade WoT party to buff IS-4...

Edited by Crokodone

Members
2,481 posts
2,334 battles

Introduce the French Foreign Legion as a playable faction with mythical paper boats that allow full customization of your captains.