You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Gneisenau013

Tactical Tip Tuesday - Cruiser Support

19 comments in this topic

[WGA]
Administrator, Developers
896 posts
5,909 battles

Japanese_Nakajima_B5N_passes_USS_Northam

*pictured - USS Northampton engaging an IJN torpedo bomber from the carrier Junyo on 10/25/1942*

When you take your cruiser into battle, which one is it and what's your plan of action?

Often referred to as the work horses of the fleet, cruisers are versatile and multipurpose warships. 

They can maneuver to avoid deadly torpedo strikes, can engage all classes of ships, and have effective anti-aircraft defenses.

When you think cruiser, which one(s) get the call and what's your primary mission?

"Every Sailor has the potential to lead. I don't care if it's a seaman recruit or someone higher ranking than myself. Where there's a will, there's a way." - Michael Mullen, US Navy

#tacticaltiptuesday

#anchorsaweigh

[TOG]
Members
2,484 posts
14,955 battles

USN CA/CL Line from T8/T10. Any dd's bane. Utility ships that  complicates capping due to radar X-ray vision. Especially if the Ca's either chain the radar or have to radar mod. There was one time than when ever I backed into a cap, the radar warnng would light up when I cross the cap border. 

The island waifu hunter. Anchored to an island to prevent from being blapped. Digging one out is like digging out a barnacle. Pity it once it gets outflanked.

• Cool 1

[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
4,787 posts
6,976 battles

find a rock, near a cap, hug it softly, contest cap, set stuff on fire, support local dds, passively shoot down planes, establish an area of denial over a choke point.

Belfast, Atlanta, des Moines,...

sail around in open water being a serious annoyance with long and mid range shells,

Abruzzi, Zao and similar.

But every plan falls apart faced with reality, I do best with the above scenarios, but often adapt to suit team and opposition/terrain.

• Cool 1

[FAILD]
Members
427 posts
1,608 battles

I'm not a cruiser main so I don't take cruisers out much. Currently working up the RN cruiser line with Jack Dunkirk. So Emerald is the one I take out now. I usually try to kite or if I see a DD smoke up I'll hydro and rush attempting to kill it before it can get away. But alot of that is dependant on MM.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,113 posts
8,680 battles
4 minutes ago, Captain_Rawhide said:

I log in with Neptune.  First BB to spot me, I die.  That's the plan.

I feel you pain, I have a Perth.:cap_haloween:

38 minutes ago, Gneisenau013 said:

When you take your cruiser into battle, which one is it and what's your plan of action?

I love all my Cruisers and they are my main ship type, BBs are okay BUT they all feel to big, to slow to turn to me - Use terrain to your advantage, try to never be the focus of a BB or a cluster of ships, learn WASD like you life depends on it - IT DOES, accept you are a support ship and you cannot always slug out with the big boys.

Respect and help you Destroyers, and hunt down the Red DDs when you can. CVs are hard or easy depending on the person using them, so adjust your defense/attack actions base off this, but understand everyone one has good games and everyone has bad days.

The Big thing for the Cruisers is DEFEND/SUPPORT THE FLEET! :Smile_honoring:

• Cool 5

[RST]
Members
332 posts
6,856 battles

I'm finding German cruisers may be my best cruiser, T8-10.  I tend to run up behind the DDs and then when I turn right about where I expect to be detected, setting up and initial "over the shoulder" set-up so I can seek cover, kite, or turn back into the fray depending on what is revealed with initial detection.  From there, as someone said keep working WASD and alternate between HE and AP depending on target (type, nationality, and orientation). 

• Cool 1

[BLHK]
Members
327 posts
3,429 battles

Depends on the line. US light cruisers. Hunt and kill DDs with extreme prejudice.

French cruisers, hang back, shoot at the biggest thing on the map.

You do see some funny things in game. People claim the cruisers sole role is to screen and protect the BBs. At the same time the DDs are screaming we should be in there offering as much support as possible. 

Edited by MG1962
  • Cool 2

Members
150 posts
6,497 battles
11 minutes ago, MG1962 said:

Depends on the line. US light cruisers. Hunt and kill DDs with extreme prejudice.

You do see some funny things in game. People claim the cruisers sole role is to screen and protect the BBs. At the same time the DDs are screaming we should be in there offering as much support as possible. 

I agree. USN CLs are particularly good at hunting and killing DDs, given their high ROF, hydro, and radar (depending on the ship).

No matter what cruiser I'm playing, I feel like my two primary jobs are to kill enemy DDs and support friendly DDs. 

As far as screening BBs, I'll try to hang near ones with really lousy AA, particularly in the mid tiers where some of the BBs have really crappy AA.  But I don't think tethering myself to a BB most of the game is very helpful. 

It really depends on the ship, Ibuki and Zao  for example don't want to push up too early as they're better suited taking advantage of their gun range and they can't really use close island cover because of their relatively flat shell arcs.  Same with the Russian cruisers.

• Cool 1

[WOLFA]
Members
75 posts
5,832 battles

Cruisers are by far the most enjoyable ships I play. Captaining an Atlanta with IFHE is the ultimate for in game fun, then Cleveland with IFHE, followed by Fiji.

The T9 and T10 cruisers are okay, but not nearly as fun. The Des Moines is a lot of fun, and I really do like to play it, but I don't like the T10 chat drama, but I am quickly learning how to ignore the drama so I can enjoy T10 battles more.

• Cool 1

Members
3,769 posts
13,992 battles
3 hours ago, Gneisenau013 said:

They can maneuver to avoid deadly torpedo strikes, can engage all classes of ships, and have effective anti-aircraft defenses.

That's only true for a few high tier Cruisers. Several BBs have better AA than most Cruisers do. Many of my Cruisers cant even defend themselves from A/C let alone anyone else. I'll give a BB that has weak AA some cover if I can and have good enough AA to be effective, but I'm not going to glue myself to it.

2 hours ago, MG1962 said:

I hunt down DDs with extreme prejudice in any Cruiser I'm driving. The thrill of the hunt!

French Cruisers have pretty accurate guns so yeah, I'm going to shoot from range if at all possible. Henri IV is excellent as a long range shooter. And with her speed and maneuverability she's hard to hit at those long ranges. I've never used Henri's torpedoes in a battle.

I'll support DDs as much as possible, they're the ones who win the battle.

• Cool 1

[H_]
Members
783 posts

I play IJN mostly.  For me, in my Mogami, I follow DD's to the cap and with their low detect, I get the dubious honor of waxing enemy DDs for a very short period of time, launch area denial torps and them circuit out of cap support to do all over again......

The Zao is a very good "interdiction" ship........  Mogami's specialize in retrograde and being chased scenarios....  Don't chase a Mogami with 20 10K aft firing torps.....many a BB or CA have eaten torps....

For me, fast DD support and interdiction ops on flanks....  A lot of fires get started and it forces the bad guys to "look in another direction" which can and often slows them down or breaks up the momentum....

• Cool 2

Members
1,834 posts
17,617 battles

^^^What he said above me...he just got it in a second before me...

Emerald, Fiji, Mino, Atlanta, Helena, Cleveland, Worcester, Salem, Kuma, Mogami, Nurnberg, (& Hindi if I had a premium camo for it) & any French w/reload booster.

Follow DDs to caps/flank (standard battles) & attempt early DD elimination, then kiting away & spraying (I'm very territorial over my part of the ocean...sorry for the smell), hang around cap flank if further assistance is needed to secure it then on to the next cap/flank that needs assistance...rinse & repeat.

I tend to keep moving & kiting in Brit CLs & use my smoke for others (either ships in trouble or ships that would have a good position if they could just come out from behind that island they are camping behind) as I stay out for additional spotting in case DDs either get overwhelmed & have to smoke or get eliminated.

• Cool 1

[OO7]
Alpha Tester
6,734 posts
3,490 battles
5 hours ago, Gneisenau013 said:

Japanese_Nakajima_B5N_passes_USS_Northam

*pictured - USS Northampton engaging an IJN torpedo bomber from the carrier Junyo on 10/25/1942*

Often referred to as the work horses of the fleet, cruisers are versatile and multipurpose warships. 

When you think cruiser, which one(s) get the call and what's your primary mission?

"Every Sailor has the potential to lead. I don't care if it's a seaman recruit or someone higher ranking than myself. Where there's a will, there's a way." - Michael Mullen, US Navy

#tacticaltiptuesday

#anchorsaweigh

Did you just post a Northampton class Cruiser? 0_o

• Cool 1

[OO7]
Alpha Tester
6,734 posts
3,490 battles

Cruisers are really varied honestly. It's hard to explain them easily, but I'll do my best.

USN has two lines, the CAs and CLs. Both should be considered support ships that rely on consumables to help their fleet against DDs and enemy aircraft. The CA line is more geared towards action against other Cruisers of average or lower skill with their greater AP pen angles, and the CL line is best against harrassing DDs. Both need cover or they will  die quickly, and they're poor against skilled opponents in close combat because they lack torpedoes.

The Germans are a line all over the place, but end up being a line that is tough and can punish with AP or HE with good DPM, and nice ballistics. They primarily aid against DDs through avoiding torpedoes with hydro, and also provide descent AA. They also do well in close quarters with their mid range torpedoes.

The French are a better version of the USN ships but with speed, better ballistics, range, and toughness in exchange for losing Radar. They also have nice torpedoes.

The USSR is about great guns, tough ships, and poor turning. They're best at fire support.

The Brits are the American CL line but with smoke to take their cover with them. They also pack great torpedoes, concealment and a super heal. Great mid range ships.

The IJN are the HE counter to the idea of American AP being the best in beta. Shame about the that for the US, but the IJN delivers. They also have poorly angled torpedoes if you want to use them, but they do come in handy when you turn into an armored behmoth than can stealth torp named Zao. AA though? Nope.

• Cool 2

[PWH]
Members
84 posts
4,863 battles
On 10/2/2018 at 9:00 AM, Chaos_EN2 said:

I feel you pain, I have a Perth.:cap_haloween:

I love my Perth. IFHE can make you rack up the damage quite easily, and your detection allows you to be quite sneaky.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,113 posts
8,680 battles
51 minutes ago, SteeLeviathan said:

I love my Perth. IFHE can make you rack up the damage quite easily, and your detection allows you to be quite sneaky.

I did not say I did not love my Perth, BUT if you get caught by broadside to a BB, you do understand the pain that all Light Cruisers feel in that moment.:Smile_honoring:

Members
1,590 posts
4,356 battles

The grind is in full swing for me. I am working through Baltimore, Edinburgh, Mogami and Cleveland. Of those, I think I only really intend to keep Cleveland at present. That Captain is still young, so the ship is a long way from its full potential, but it has the crazy perma camo on it. I also have a Takao that I enjoy playing. If 203 Mogami didn’t have such a shite reload, maybe. However, Cleveland beats 155 Mogami for utility in my book...she does more things well.

Hindenburg is my most played ship. Demanding, but versatile. 

Leander is also in the running - a great ship I still sail and do well with. 

Edited by Mahrs