You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
BadHusband

Why does bismark have higher fire chance than kgv?

28 comments in this topic

[EXCT_]
Members
1 post
2,735 battles

I played a random battle today in a kgv and faced a bismarck who only shoots HE. However, I landed 20+ HE shells on him but only 1 fire which he instantly damage coned. He started a fire with every salvo, and eventually i burned down. I checked bismarck's fire chance, but it's only 34%, i have 41%. So why can he start fire for every shell but I can't?

• Funny 1

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
2,048 posts
3 minutes ago, BadHusband said:

I played a random battle today in a kgv and faced a bismarck who only shoots HE. However, I landed 20+ HE shells on him but only 1 fire which he instantly damage coned. He started a fire with every salvo, and eventually i burned down. I checked bismarck's fire chance, but it's only 34%, i have 41%. So why can he start fire for every shell but I can't?

Fire Starting Flags ..................Perhaps?  India X-Ray,Victor Lima

Edited by shadowsrmine

[INTEL]
Members
8,588 posts
25,732 battles
16 hours ago, BadHusband said:

You understand the term "probability", right? 

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,872 posts
5,259 battles

Just be happy you ran into an HE spamming Bismarck and leave it at that.

• Funny 1

[DAKI]
WoWS Wiki Editor
7,324 posts
6,609 battles

As the name suggest, the fire chance is just a chance. Sometimes you get a fire for every second hit you land, sometimes you willland dozens of shells without a single fire.

Especially Cruiser captains know of that issue

[TDRB]
Members
1,113 posts
4,238 battles
1 minute ago, SireneRacker said:

As the name suggest, the fire chance is just a chance. Sometimes you get a fire for every second hit you land, sometimes you willland dozens of shells without a single fire.

Especially Cruiser captains know of that issue

Yes, it is just a chance. A normally fire breathing Atlanta was raining down HE on my Scharnhorst scoring numerous hits, no fires. A KGV came to his aid and started a fire with 1 hit. 

[SBD]
[SBD]
Members
266 posts
3,480 battles
8 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

RNG is RNG.

This.

When RNG has decided to tie you to the yardarm and give you the paddle....

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
3,849 posts
13,067 battles
1 hour ago, TheDreadnought said:

Just be happy you ran into an HE spamming Bismarck and leave it at that.

LOL...so true.

Not only that, but a Bismarck that DCPs ONE fire.

Members
352 posts
5 battles

Hey, hey OP, here's al ittle something you seem confused about: a 34% chance doesn't mean it'll happen exactly 34% of the time, it means every shell has a 34/100 chance to get it. You rolled that D100 and failed more than the bismarck did. 

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,150 posts
14,555 battles
4 hours ago, BadHusband said:

"1 fire and I pop DCP!" kind of players are my favorite.  Oh lordy how I love those kind of enemies.

Firstly, Bismarck is inaccurate with her guns.  Keep at range where she struggles to hit.  If you are getting burned down by a German BB you are way too close to it.

Secondly, fires are RNG.  You can't rely on it.  Even with Conqueror I get games with lots of hits but RNG flips me off and I get 1-2 Fires only.

Third, manage your consumables better.  Don't pop your DCP on 1 fire, save it for 2 plus.  Also, your Repair Party repairs back 100% of Fire damage.  If one ship is burning you down to death, to me that screams poor consumables management.

Fourth, if things for some reason look bad, if you got Stealth Build for your KGV, use your speed, range, Stealth Build to disengage.  Bismarck doesn't have the speed to overtake you easily.  KGV also is stealthier.  Deny a fight if it doesn't look favorable.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[WOLF9]
Members
1,109 posts

You're a sinner, and RNGeezus is putting the weenie to you?

[KRAB]
Members
615 posts
6,056 battles

If shatters have a reduced fire chance that could also come into play - Bismarck has an upper belt thick enough to shatter KGV HE while you are penetrated everywhere except the waterline belt. 

If otherwise, you either got fewer shell hits, are biased anecdotally or were crapped on by RNG. 

• Bad 1

Members
244 posts
1,273 battles

he instantly damage coned

damage coned

????

lrg_enviro-cone-damage.jpg

But on topic, it's a luck based game. Wargaming loves to make luck based games with a sprinkling of skill in there. He hit more dice rolls than you, end of story.

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
3,849 posts
13,067 battles
5 hours ago, BadHusband said:

Base fire chance is NOT the fire chance.  It's part of an equation.  It's also RNG, as others have noted.  But let's focus on the fire chance in a particular scenario.  Say a stock KGV (41%) versus a Biz top (34%).  Say the Biz has a FP captain, and there are no other modifiers.

The probability of a KGV shell causing a fire is 23%.  The probability of a Biz shell causing a fire is 25%.  In this scenario, a Biz has a better chance (on a per shell basis) of causing a fire on the KGV than the KGV has on the Biz. 

Again, RNG is factor.  I'm just illustrating that situations exist where one's base (41% for KGV and 34% of Biz) does not equate to the actual percentage chance.

[TF_34]
[TF_34]
Members
1,139 posts
6,807 battles

Perhaps the Bis captain was running a fire prevention build? 

Still, I feel your pain. I don't believe any of the RN ships start fires nearly as often as their raw numbers suggest they should. A 41% chance of fire per shell hit times 10 shells being fired should result in a fire with every salvo.

[OPG]
Members
3,974 posts
5,688 battles
5 hours ago, Cruiser_Noshiro said:

Also a Bismarck has a higher fire resistance co-efficient than KGV

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Fire

^This.   The fire resistance coefficient is an incredibly important aspect of the game....and yet it so commonly gets ignored.

1 hour ago, MaxL_1023 said:

If shatters have a reduced fire chance that could also come into play - 

Shatters don't have any affect on the fire chance of a shell. 

Members
244 posts
1,273 battles
5 minutes ago, yashma said:

^This.   The PURELY TIER BASED fire resistance coefficient is an incredibly STUPID aspect of the game....and yet it so commonly gets ignored.

ftfy

[OPG]
Members
3,974 posts
5,688 battles
2 minutes ago, Meeso_Thorny said:

ftfy

You can say what you want about how the mechanic is implemented, but it is a hidden factor that has a major impact on game balance and frequently gets ignored on the forum.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
397 posts
3,655 battles

Isn't RNG grand?

Some times you'll start no fires despite hitting an enemy ship with multiple 16" shells that are basically 2,700lbs, only slightly aggravating them as you're reducing their AA capability.

Other times you'll burn a BB down almost complete because you started 3 fires with a single salvo and their damage control was on cooldown.

• Angry 1

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
3,849 posts
13,067 battles
20 hours ago, Gen_Saris said:

Perhaps the Bis captain was running a fire prevention build? 

Still, I feel your pain. I don't believe any of the RN ships start fires nearly as often as their raw numbers suggest they should. A 41% chance of fire per shell hit times 10 shells being fired should result in a fire with every salvo.

A KGV engaging a T9 (yes, I know Biz is a T8, but I'm creating a max delta example) with a defense build only has a 19.8% chance (per shell) of starting a fire.  

Also, note that DCP has an activation period when no new fires can be started.  If you fire on a ship and hit it during this activation period, the hit has a ZERO chance of causing a fire.  If you fire on a ship and hit a section that is already burning...same thing.

When I'm up against a fire breather, I wait until I have two fires...even three sometimes...and then time the DCP to extinguish the current fire and extend into the next enemy salvo.  A captain might curse their RNG luck on that next salvo...but it's not RNG.  It's KNOWING the mechanics of the game.  I have effectively negative one salvo's worth of HE fire by timing my DCP.  The game within the game.  And the counter....the fire breather captain who knows my ship's DCP activation period...notices when I kick it in...then delays their next salvo an appropriate number of seconds to put shells on me just after my DCP activation expires.

The counter to the counter?  There is a skill that extends the DCP activation period.

Edited by Soshi_Sone

[TF_34]
[TF_34]
Members
1,139 posts
6,807 battles
19 hours ago, SirMuttonChops said:

Isn't RNG grand?

Some times you'll start no fires despite hitting an enemy ship with multiple 16" shells that are basically 2,700lbs, only slightly aggravating them as you're reducing their AA capability.

Other times you'll burn a BB down almost complete because you started 3 fires with a single salvo and their damage control was on cooldown.

Where does RNG come into the calculation? Each shell has a stated base chance to start a fire. Is there some secret mechanic where RNG determines if that chance applies or not?