Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
lofar_dog

The (Semi) Compleat Handbook for the New Hornee

5 comments in this topic

[OMF]
Beta Testers
38 posts
11,421 battles

Here it is, at last - the long-awaited sequel to our best selling manual "WoWS Anchors and the Hookers Who Made Them."  Almost everything you want to know about ship horns but were too usefully engaged to ask.

As a long time acoustic analyst, I've always had a knack for blowing my own horn.  The appearance of ships "whistles" in WoWS has presented an opportunity I can't resist. Below is the categorized list of 13 different horn sounds on the ships in my inventory.  I don't know what the other (150+?) vessels in the game sound like.  And honestly, after all the time wasted doing this entry, I don't really give a ship!  Since the military did not allow me to take home a spectrum analyzer, the horn sounds are not arranged in any particular frequency or harmonic order.

Spoiler Alert -reading this entry will do absolutely NOTHING to improve your gameplay!

Basics

1.  To sound a horn in battle mode, press "N"

2.  To sound a horn in port, select the desired ship, and press "N" (I think the N stands for "noise" or perhaps "nothing is added to the game when you press this").

Horn/Ship Class

1 - Bogue/Independence/Lexington/Essex

2 - Langley/Ranger

3 - New York/New Mexico/Colorado/Iron Duke/Queen Elizabeth (note the mix of US/UK...Lend-Lease gear, perhaps?)

4 - Kirishima/Hiei/Wyoming/Bretagne/Orion (note the  wonderful diversity of nations; a veritable UN of hot air!)

5 - Kongo/Haruna/South Carolina (the first secessionist state, in the same category with IJN.  Who'd a thunk it?)

6- Omaha/Dallas/Perth

7 - Acasta/Vampire (these actually sound like DD horns)

8 - Phoenix/Pensacola

9 - Arkansas/King George V

And finally, the "Forlorn Five" - one-of-a-kind tones; each on a single vessel.

10 - Icarus

11 - Varyag

12 - Duca D'Costa

13 - North Carolina

14 - Iowa (the original "Deep Throat'" ca 1943)

(Your results may vary.  Lofar_dog inc. is an LLC, not bound by Geneva Convention, common decency, or rational thinking.)

Edited by lofar_dog

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,405 posts
9,562 battles

This is very nice. The saddest horn is the Emden.. It's like a cow drowning in a well.. Makes me ponder suicide just to listen to it. And I thoroughly recommend changing all the IJN DD horns to POI POI POI.

Edited by AVR_Project
  • Funny 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,405 posts
9,562 battles

Went through most of the horns...   The Gremyashchy sounds about the best.  Colorado/New York/New Mexico/Nicholai/Albert/Orion is the old collision alarm.

Kamikaze/Fujin/Wakatake/Isokaze/V-170/ShenYang is also very decent.

[TF-64]
Members
372 posts
12,788 battles

The Kidd and Mahan share a horn I think. At least on my machine I can't tell them apart. For whatever reason this also happens to be my favorite that I've listened to. 

Sign in to follow this