Sign in to follow this  
XxX_BlindSide_XxX

Latency issues since 0.7.9.1 makes the game all but unplayable

5 comments in this topic

[KTFO]
Beta Testers
265 posts
6,067 battles

A little background.  I am on the EAST coast.  I previously had <100ms latency (typically about 30ms).  I now find the game unplayable with latency spiking in matches randomly between 100-300ms and sometimes even higher. 

My system setup has not changed.

I am running an Intel 8700K @ 5.04 GHz, 16GB Ram, NVidia 1060 GTX, game and OS (Win10 64Bit) installed on latest gen SSD with 150GB free.  I am not running any game mods.  I am hardwired to my modem/router.

I have speed tested my connection and get on average 250Mb down and 5Mb up with a latency to the test server being 19ms.

Trace to Google.com was 19 hops@ 79ms

Trace to 2  WarGaming east coast NA servers was 68ms and 72ms (second server had 1 timeout of 3 pings).

I ran the integrity tool provided by WG with no issues found.

I ran disk checker to ensure the SSD was operating normally.

I have restarted my modem/router.

I have restarted my PC multiple times.

Running resource monitor shows that nothing else is hogging bandwidth while the game is running.

None of what I see explains the insane latency instability I am experiencing since the last patch.

Right now I am at a loss to explain this.  I am down to two possibilities that I can think of and both could just be a coincidence:

1.)  I am south of Washington DC where the WG servers are supposedly located for the east coast which puts the hurricane landfall between me and the servers and it could be a disruption of service(additional hops) due to the storm.  Seems unlikely since           clan-mates also located in my general area are not experiencing this issue or it isn't as pronounced.

2.) Something in the last patch is broken.  Others have complained in game about lag but I am not willing to jump on the WG patch is bad bandwagon until I have made 100% certain the issue isn't on my end.

Any more ideas of what I can check or try is much appreciated.

[KTFO]
Beta Testers
265 posts
6,067 battles

Checking those 2 IPs I found for the east coast are routing to California...Is there a way to verify which region I am connecting to in game?

[OPRAH]
[OPRAH]
Beta Testers
3,868 posts
12,620 battles

run the integrity check and if that doesn't help put in a ticket

Supertester
3,004 posts
10,057 battles

The 30 latency sounds about right, because I'm in the PNW (Pacific Northwest) and have a 110 download with 15 upload (cable) and run 35 to the San Francisco server. A 100 or more, at least for me is when I'm on the PTR which is out of Russia. Or if I choose to play on the EU server, it will be at about 100.

So something's is definitely wrong between point (A) to point (B). What does surprise me though is the 79ms to Google and the 19 hops. I don't know what the norm is for folks on the East coast, but out on the West coast here Google has a few major hubs scattered throughout and the ping to them is virtually nill, let alone the hops.

As far as what you could possibly do, well you've done about everything that I know you can do on your end. However, I know that the Customer Service Dept. does have a pretty nifty tool for just this occasion. If you explain what's going on, be sure to tell them what you've done already, they'll most likely have you download their network tool. 

They then ask you to run it for a minimum time, but 20 minutes is preferred and then they'll ask you to save the log that's generated and send it back. What it actually does is, trace all the hops, monitors the connection during that time for noise, network strength, etc., basically it tells them if the problem is between "Point A to Point B" or if the problem is actually in "Point A", your system being Point A. I only say that because of how little the issue is and when I myself had this problem, it was indeed my system (some conflicting Killer Network driver on my MoBo).

So, be sure you've done all the updates on your system you can. OS, GPU, even your Motherboard Bios up to date, etc. and one last point to check before you contact them, check the router for updates. If you're not familiar with this, it sounds funny I know, but this is just like anything else with the exception that it doesn't update itself or at least some/most don't.

To check your router, this will be easy, in your browser bar up top, where we all type www.worldofwarships.com, instead of that type in one of these two addresses. 

or

One of those will bring up a login screen for your router. Here's a kicker, if you've never logged into it nor has anyone else, I already know your user name and password... 

In the username type: admin

For the password type: admin

Try in either in lower or upper case on both. If neither work, this is actually good as your ISP is actually protecting you more than most. Look under your router and the login username and password should be there.

Once you are in, you can cross reference what router you have and what current firmware version is available.

If you have trouble accessing the router, you can pm me and I'll try to help you the best I can. However, Google is my best friend in this Dept., so we have access to the same information, but like I said, I'm happy to help.

Also, if/when you do access your router, look for the Username and Password setting. Change that to a phrase type password with a symbol and number in it, for instance 

Username: KTFO

Password: Blindsideiscool$2018

This way no one can access your Wi-Fi. Ya, for those that don't know, most cable companies that just turn on the router and don't change the Username and PW (leaving it at admin and admin) leave your Wi-Fi exposed to anyone within a Wi-Fi radius (upwards of 300 feet).

Anyway, lengthy post and sorry for that, but hope it helps.

Good luck, o7 

Edited by BURN_Miner

[KTFO]
Beta Testers
265 posts
6,067 battles
4 hours ago, BURN_Miner said:

The 30 latency sounds about right, because I'm in the PNW (Pacific Northwest) and have a 110 download with 15 upload (cable) and run 35 to the San Francisco server. A 100 or more, at least for me is when I'm on the PTR which is out of Russia. Or if I choose to play on the EU server, it will be at about 100.

So something's is definitely wrong between point (A) to point (B). What does surprise me though is the 79ms to Google and the 19 hops. I don't know what the norm is for folks on the East coast, but out on the West coast here Google has a few major hubs scattered throughout and the ping to them is virtually nill, let alone the hops.

As far as what you could possibly do, well you've done about everything that I know you can do on your end. However, I know that the Customer Service Dept. does have a pretty nifty tool for just this occasion. If you explain what's going on, be sure to tell them what you've done already, they'll most likely have you download their network tool. 

They then ask you to run it for a minimum time, but 20 minutes is preferred and then they'll ask you to save the log that's generated and send it back. What it actually does is, trace all the hops, monitors the connection during that time for noise, network strength, etc., basically it tells them if the problem is between "Point A to Point B" or if the problem is actually in "Point A", your system being Point A. I only say that because of how little the issue is and when I myself had this problem, it was indeed my system (some conflicting Killer Network driver on my MoBo).

So, be sure you've done all the updates on your system you can. OS, GPU, even your Motherboard Bios up to date, etc. and one last point to check before you contact them, check the router for updates. If you're not familiar with this, it sounds funny I know, but this is just like anything else with the exception that it doesn't update itself or at least some/most don't.

To check your router, this will be easy, in your browser bar up top, where we all type www.worldofwarships.com, instead of that type in one of these two addresses. 

or

One of those will bring up a login screen for your router. Here's a kicker, if you've never logged into it nor has anyone else, I already know your user name and password... 

In the username type: admin

For the password type: admin

Try in either in lower or upper case on both. If neither work, this is actually good as your ISP is actually protecting you more than most. Look under your router and the login username and password should be there.

Once you are in, you can cross reference what router you have and what current firmware version is available.

If you have trouble accessing the router, you can pm me and I'll try to help you the best I can. However, Google is my best friend in this Dept., so we have access to the same information, but like I said, I'm happy to help.

Also, if/when you do access your router, look for the Username and Password setting. Change that to a phrase type password with a symbol and number in it, for instance 

Username: KTFO

Password: Blindsideiscool$2018

This way no one can access your Wi-Fi. Ya, for those that don't know, most cable companies that just turn on the router and don't change the Username and PW (leaving it at admin and admin) leave your Wi-Fi exposed to anyone within a Wi-Fi radius (upwards of 300 feet).

Anyway, lengthy post and sorry for that, but hope it helps.

Good luck, o7 

We are on the same page.  Fortunately my education is very centered around understanding networking as well as networking security so fortifying my router was the first thing I did after the provider installed it.

I ran the tool shortly after writing this and found that for some insane reason to get to California and WGs servers I am transiting Europe...Yup...east coast to Switzerland via the UK then back to California....The exchange seems borked which is making me lean towards the first of my 2 probable causes; that it is the hurricane that caused an interruption in the normal exchange forcing my ISP to use another as the patch and the hurricane both dropped at about the same time.

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this