Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
JCC45

So this is new one.. for me anyway.

13 comments in this topic

[YORHA]
Members
3,323 posts

I don't know if it was lag or what but I just had the strangest game in a Helena.

Halfway through I started to lose control of the ship.  I would turn the rudder and the indicator would move but the ship kept going straight.  Then, after about 5 seconds, it would suddenly veer in the direction  it should have been.  Same deal trying to straighten out.  

Then when my rudder got damaged and I had to repair  no matter how may times I hit the R key nothing would happen.  It just sat there as if I hadn't hit it.

Then the whole world started tilting to the left and then right, even when going  straight.  Seriously... look at this.

WYMkkF9.jpg

The last straw was when I was trying to run down a DD and it looked like I was hitting him repeatedly when I saw chat was accusing me of being a bot and reporting me as such for shooting so far behind the DD that I saw I was hitting.

My ping was between 35 and 55 every time I looked and no lag spikes.  Needless to say it was not an enjoyable experience.

[YORHA]
Members
3,323 posts
10 minutes ago, Gerbertz said:

"Torpedo tubes...DESTROYED!"

"Rudder...DESTROYED!"

?

[ICBM]
Members
371 posts
8,152 battles

I've had weird issues with the target lock. Whereas target locked above and to the right, yet when shot, it would go to the lower left target and fall between the two.

[PLPT]
Members
632 posts
6,808 battles
33 minutes ago, JCC45 said:

I don't know if it was lag or what but I just had the strangest game in a Helena.

Halfway through I started to lose control of the ship.  I would turn the rudder and the indicator would move but the ship kept going straight.  Then, after about 5 seconds, it would suddenly veer in the direction  it should have been.  Same deal trying to straighten out.  

Then when my rudder got damaged and I had to repair  no matter how may times I hit the R key nothing would happen.  It just sat there as if I hadn't hit it.

Then the whole world started tilting to the left and then right, even when going  straight.  Seriously... look at this.

WYMkkF9.jpg

The last straw was when I was trying to run down a DD and it looked like I was hitting him repeatedly when I saw chat was accusing me of being a bot and reporting me as such for shooting so far behind the DD that I saw I was hitting.

My ping was between 35 and 55 every time I looked and no lag spikes.  Needless to say it was not an enjoyable experience.

All symptoms except ping point to lag.

ping is not necessarily a reliable indicator of lag since it is ICMP based not TCP.  Most games “should” actually use UDP but few do, and I assume WoWS data runs over TCP, although i havent bothered to break out WireShark for it. Any switch along your route may being doing traffic shaping on packets it determines to be gaming, using a different algo than for ICMP packets.

• Cool 1

[ASHIP]
Members
597 posts
5,296 battles

I had a very similar problem shortly after the introduction of Arms Race. I didn't live very long so I wasn't able to see much of the effects, but it was very weird. Didn't happen again either.

Edit: here's my thread about it. The ping issue is different, but in terms of a huge delay between commands being given and the game responding it sounds exactly the same.

Edited by senseNOTmade

[PLPT]
Members
632 posts
6,808 battles

One more comment about ping... If you're using the standard command-line tool you'll also see a metric for dropped packets which is possibly what's happening.  The "average ping time" does not include dropped packets, but obviously dropping packets will feel like "infinite" lag.  Anything more than 1% dropped is a real problem.  Even 1% is not good.

Edited by n00bot

[TDRB]
Members
1,078 posts
4,118 battles

I would turn the rudder and the indicator would move but the ship kept going straight.

My son had the same thing happen to him at least 3 times last night. No, it was not loss of steering due to battle damage. His ping was mid 30's. It took 3 or 4 seconds before the ship responded. All were in random battles while driving a BB. I never had the problem. We do have different ISP and live 40 miles apart. Who knows where the issue was.

[WOLF5]
Members
1,537 posts
2,126 battles

Odd, most of the symptoms are of lag, the delayed response, desync between you shooting and what's actually happening, delayed response on consumables. The drunken screen in new though. Really not sure how that happens, maybe a weird frame thing with high ping?

Also, you should be able to repair eventually, it might not work for a few seconds, but it will work eventually. Someone posted a similar problem the other day where they couldn't use R to repair flooding. Not delayed, just wouldn't work.

I'd usually say it's just lag, as others have said ping isn't 100% an indicator. However, the weird graphics glitch, and the fact that someone else reported a similar issue with repair makes it possible that there's a weird bug that doing this. Guess we'll have to see if it recurs or others start having the same issue.

[YORHA]
Members
3,323 posts

OK... the same damned thing just happened again.  Halfway through the game the guns refuse to fire (the first indication) then the world tips, then no control over the rudder then no access to consumables.

And I went to upload the replay and guess what?  Replays are no longer automatically activated.  Up until the last patch replays were always activated but after this last mess.. nope.  No more.

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Members
2,830 posts
1,327 battles
2 hours ago, n00bot said:

All symptoms except ping point to lag.

ping is not necessarily a reliable indicator of lag since it is ICMP based not TCP.  Most games “should” actually use UDP but few do, and I assume WoWS data runs over TCP, although i havent bothered to break out WireShark for it. Any switch along your route may being doing traffic shaping on packets it determines to be gaming, using a different algo than for ICMP packets.

Yeah, I would suspect some packet loss.  Also, if using UDP you can have packet loss and not be able to tell otherwise except for the game going squirrelly.  TCP has more overhead, but it can retransmit.  Of course, in a real-time game, retransmit of missed packets can have questionable utility.

Sign in to follow this