Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
crzyhawk

Smoke mod

6 comments in this topic

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,193 posts
11,707 battles

Has anyone run the numbers on putting the smoke mod onto the RN DDs?  If not, I can do it myself.

[INTEL]
Members
6,667 posts
25,801 battles

I have it in Jervis. Went from 30 sec to 38 sec. Modest but for the cost of a little coal every bit helps.

[TOG]
Members
2,484 posts
15,040 battles
8 minutes ago, alexf24 said:

I have it in Jervis. Went from 30 sec to 38 sec. Modest but for the cost of a little coal every bit helps.

But you lose smoke duration was well.

Beta Testers
1,488 posts
8,999 battles

Where can you find the base values for the durations of the British DD smoke?  I have done several searches and checked the Wiki, which doesn't seem to have the British DD smoke values yet, and a lot of what I am seeing is outdated.  So the best I can determine is that the current normal values are 10 seconds for generation time and 40 second puff duration for British DDs. 

That doesn't jibe with alexf24's figure of going from 30 to 38.  However, his increase from 30 to 38 does not match the way the smoke generator mod works, either.  The puff duration does not increase with the mod; it decreases (-5%).  It is the generation time that goes up (+30%).  Thus, going from 30 to 38 does not jibe with the way it works, but it does if the base duration is 40 seconds instead of 30, because it would drop to 38 seconds with the mod, which matches his after mod total.

Regardless, whether or not the mod is useful depends on how much you give up in duration vs. how much you gain in generation time.  What makes the mod most useful is when you have a long generation time (so big % increase on a big value) and a short duration (so small % decrease on a small value), such as on the Perth. With a 90 second generation and 10 second puff duration, the mod gives the Perth 27 seconds more generation time but takes away only 0.5 seconds duration per puff.  The net is a gain of 26.5 seconds of concealment.  

So to the question posed by the post, if the 10 second generation time and 40 second duration are indeed correct, the figures would be as follows.

Where g = generation time, d = puff duration time, and t = total concealment time (i.e., the total time between the point the first puff is generated and the last puff dissipates):

Generation

Time (g)

Duration Time (d)

Total Concealment

Time (t)

Normal

With Mod

For the normal total concealment time, simply add the time it takes to generate all puffs (g) and the duration of the last puff (d), in this case 10  + 40 = 50, if those times are correct.

With the mod, multiply the base generation time by +30% (1.3) to get the new generation time and the base duration by -5% (.95) to get the new duration time then add them together.

So:
t = (g * 1.3) + (d * .95)
t = (10 * 1.3) + (40 * .95)
t = 13 + 38
t = 51

The result is that you generate for 3 more seconds, but lose 2 seconds per puff duration, resulting in a minor gain of only 1 second from the time of the first puff to the dissipation of the last.  Thus, there is an increase, which could justify the value in coal since you can always earn more coal.  However, the real question is whether or not it is worth replacing some other mod that could go in that slot to gain only 1 second of total concealment time per use?

• Cool 2

[INTEL]
Members
6,667 posts
25,801 battles

Ah. Sotaudi. Good points.

Misread on my part. Will reconsider the mod for this ship.

Beta Testers
1,488 posts
8,999 battles
2 minutes ago, alexf24 said:

Ah. Sotaudi. Good points.

Misread on my part. Will reconsider the mod for this ship.

Easy to do.  Glad to help clarify.

Sign in to follow this