Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
warheart1992

USS Wichita changes, HMS Vanguard lewd gun massage (Dev Blog)

25 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

735
[HYDRO]
Members
1,587 posts
3,753 battles

The decrease of Wichita radar is welcome and fits the intermediate stage of the ship in my opinion. We will just have to wait and see how she will fare compared to Baltimore. Based on some of the preliminary info so far she appears to be a stealthier Balti with a bit inferior radar.

Vanguard will be getting the Warspite treatment with some nice WD40tm    oil for them turrets, AP and DPM buffs all around. The HE pen increase corresponds to the 1/4 value RN BBs share.

Edited by warheart1992

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
771
[DRACS]
Members
3,504 posts

All the changes in this dev blog are solid and keeps ships balanced. They only need to make sure to get rid of that absolutely monstrous citadel on Vanguard as seen on test server. If her citadel goes waterline like the rest of the (non-Nelson) line, then I think she'll be a solid tier 8 premium.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,203
[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,815 posts
10,360 battles
40 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

The decrease of Wichita radar is welcome and fits the intermediate stage of the ship in my opinion. We will just have to wait and see how she will fare compared to Baltimore. Based on some of the preliminary info so far she appears to be a stealthier Balti with a bit inferior radar.

Vanguard will be getting the Warspite treatment with some nice WD40tm    oil for them turrets, AP and DPM buffs all around. The HE pen increase corresponds to the 1/4 value RN BBs share.

I think the Wichita radar range decrease is welcome, though if I'm right in recalling that she has 8.7km stealth she'll still be able to radar just after detection which is a similar problem. In exchange going from 12 to 10s reload is a pretty meaty improvement.

Vanguard's enjoyed a nice outbreak of sanity on sigma and traverse, and an improvement to the repair to partially offset the worst citadel in her tier which is nice I guess, but I think she's still unsound. The 1/4 HE pen buff is largely irrelevant on 15in guns at T8. Changing to the short-fuse AP is frustrating, this was finally a ship with not-terrible penetration and normal fuses for BB hunting, well, now it's not.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
248
[NUWES]
Members
1,664 posts
5,598 battles
54 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

The decrease of Wichita radar is welcome and fits the intermediate stage of the ship in my opinion. We will just have to wait and see how she will fare compared to Baltimore. Based on some of the preliminary info so far she appears to be a stealthier Balti with a bit inferior radar.

Vanguard will be getting the Warspite treatment with some nice WD40tm    oil for them turrets, AP and DPM buffs all around. The HE pen increase corresponds to the 1/4 value RN BBs share.

I understand the nerf to Wichita's radar and buffing the reload time and the rudder shift but it would be nicer if they did something to make it a bit different playstyle than Baltimore. It is basically the same as a smaller Baltimore with worse radar. Smaller in the sense that it has better detection and is more agile, but also has less health and AA. I know that is exactly what it was, basically the treaty-limited prototype for Baltimore, but it would be nicer if they made it play more … differently.  I would prefer they did a Boise and bring the reload back up to 12 or so and give it a 1 charge weaker heal, like a BB heal, so it has greater playstyle difference from Baltimore. Like Prinz Eugen is to Hipper, or Salem is to Des Moines. 

Edited by Tzarevitch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,127
[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,982 posts
7,530 battles
24 minutes ago, mofton said:

I think the Wichita radar range decrease is welcome, though if I'm right in recalling that she has 8.7km stealth she'll still be able to radar just after detection which is a similar problem. In exchange going from 12 to 10s reload is a pretty meaty improvement.

Vanguard's enjoyed a nice outbreak of sanity on sigma and traverse, and an improvement to the repair to partially offset the worst citadel in her tier which is nice I guess, but I think she's still unsound. The 1/4 HE pen buff is largely irrelevant on 15in guns at T8. Changing to the short-fuse AP is frustrating, this was finally a ship with not-terrible penetration and normal fuses for BB hunting, well, now it's not.

Exactly. The last thing we need is another BB that has difficulty effectively fighting other BB's.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
2,918 posts
1,365 battles
48 minutes ago, KaptainKaybe said:

All the changes in this dev blog are solid and keeps ships balanced. They only need to make sure to get rid of that absolutely monstrous citadel on Vanguard as seen on test server. If her citadel goes waterline like the rest of the (non-Nelson) line, then I think she'll be a solid tier 8 premium.

Honestly WG should stop starting shis with 72s traverse and huge cits.  It never ends well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,376
[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,447 posts
3,875 battles
22 minutes ago, KnightFandragon said:

Honestly WG should stop starting shis with 72s traverse and huge cits.  It never ends well.

WG seems to be fine with leaving both traits alone on the one ship that still has them.

  • Bad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,203
[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,815 posts
10,360 battles
15 minutes ago, KiyoSenkan said:

WG seems to be fine with leaving both traits alone on the one ship that still has them.

The terrible, terrible Musashi?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
2,918 posts
1,365 battles
9 minutes ago, mofton said:

The terrible, terrible Musashi?

How terrible is Musashi?  Isnt she just basically Arizona?  No AA, no secondaries, but good guns?  Those guns which get to ignore armor.  Whats her sigma?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,376
[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,447 posts
3,875 battles
11 minutes ago, mofton said:

The terrible, terrible Musashi?

I was thinking Yamato, but sure, I forgot about the tier 10 WG dropped to tier 9 for no reason.

  • Cool 1
  • Bad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,203
[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,815 posts
10,360 battles
2 minutes ago, KnightFandragon said:

How terrible is Musashi?  Isnt she just basically Arizona?  No AA, no secondaries, but good guns?  Those guns which get to ignore armor.  Whats her sigma?

 

Musashi's 1.8 sigma, but she's one of the few remaining ships with 2.5'/s traverse after Yamato and Warspite got buffed (leaving Musashi, Queen Elizabeth and maybe some others I can't remember at 2.5'/s).

2 minutes ago, KiyoSenkan said:

I was thinking Yamato, but sure, I forgot about the tier 10 WG dropped to tier 9 for no reason.

Yamato's got 3'/s now.

Policy on no T10 prems I guess, now overturned a little late for Musashi. At least she's in the game and overpowered I guess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,376
[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,447 posts
3,875 battles
3 minutes ago, mofton said:

Yamato's got 3'/s now.

Policy on no T10 prems I guess, now overturned a little late for Musashi. At least she's in the game and overpowered I guess.

So I forgot about that buff. It's pretty hard to notice anyway.

Yamato's still the only tier 10 with a large, vulnerable citadel though. "It's justified because of the guns!" is what I usually hear. Nevermind all the other tier 10s have pretty damn good guns too.

  • Cool 1
  • Bad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,846
[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,169 posts
14,583 battles

That Vanguard repair party isn't going to help her when she's 1-shotted with 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Citadel hits :Smile_popcorn:

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,508
[AHOY_]
Beta Testers
6,497 posts
3,435 battles

If they had just lowered the Vanguard's citadel some and buffed the traverse and RoF, that would have been sufficient. Solid AP and conventional HE, slightly better accuracy than KM BBs.

Now she's just a "balanced" RN BB; short-fuse AP and 1/4 Pen HE, buffed traverse, but actually has a citadel. They better keep that citadel, or swap it with the shell changes.

Edited by YamatoA150

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
309
[KRAB]
Members
615 posts
6,066 battles

Yamato has a citadel vulnerability, but it has the kind of "all or nothing" scheme (plus a 57mm deck) which makes it surprisingly resilient to HE and normal AP damage. Musashi even more so - a lot of the BBs it sees just can't get through a 410mm citadel belt at a range where they have a chance to avoid or mitigate return fire. 

The Vanguard will face all the T10 BBs, and has weak enough guns than any T8+ BB can basically ignore their AP with semi-decent angling. You will end up spamming HE at ships which can overmatch your whole hull, or penetrate your citadel belt from 20km. Not a good time. 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,846
[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,169 posts
14,583 battles
44 minutes ago, YamatoA150 said:

If they had just lowered the Vanguard's citadel some and buffed the traverse and RoF, that would have been sufficient. Solid AP and conventional HE, slightly better accuracy than KM BBs.

Now she's just a "balanced" RN BB; short-fuse AP and 1/4 Pen HE, buffed traverse, but actually as a citadel. They better keep that citadel, or swap it with the shell changes.

Newer players will get to experience what it's like playing Iowa / Missouri / Montana before their citadels got lowered :Smile_teethhappy:  You had to play smart, or die.  Even then, what's to stop a smart enemy player getting around to blap you from angles, ranges you couldn't possibly account for?

 

Get the BB AP ready folks!  Good times are coming! 

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,203
[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,815 posts
10,360 battles
41 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Newer players will get to experience what it's like playing Iowa / Missouri / Montana before their citadels got lowered :Smile_teethhappy: 

I look forward to bow tanking as I slowly reverse in my 4x2 Vanguard... oh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
771
[DRACS]
Members
3,504 posts

Vanguard's currently maaaaaassive citadel (seriously, it's way bigger than Yamato's or even Roma's) would make it a hard sell. The sigma buff is only there to compensate for the fact that she still has a 30s reload on her main guns. And the new traverse just makes it on par with all the other BBs. Unlike Yamato and Roma, she's very susceptible to HE spam as she's basically covered in 32mm plating everywhere but her main belt. And unlike Yamato, there's nothing particularly special about her guns to compensate. Although she does have amazing AA.

I would never buy her with her current citadel. I already got burned pretty hard by Roma and I'm not doing that again, regardless of how much I love collecting British premiums.

Balanced would be to drop her citadel to the same style as the rest of the RN BB line, keep her fragile plating armor as is, and her gunnery as is now with the 30s reload and 2.0 sigma. Her huge health pool is easily countered by how easy she is to hit given her size, and the accuracy of her guns is countered by the fact that they are still just eight 15 inchers with low fuze pen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,124
[WUDPS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,872 posts
4,752 battles

Warspite's AP is fantastic...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,846
[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,169 posts
14,583 battles
19 minutes ago, Dr_Venture said:

Warspite's AP is fantastic...

Facing Tier IX-X BBs, not really.  Even Tier VIII-X USN & German CAs will counter by face tanking it and DPM Vanguard in return.  Baltimore with her 10 second reloads and of course, Des Moines with her 5.5 second reloads will counter Vanguard easily.  The German CAs there can do the same, Hindenburg has fast firing guns, all have torpedoes.

 

The 32mm armor of RN BBs also melt to Cruiser and Gunbote DD DPM.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,124
[WUDPS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,872 posts
4,752 battles

Vanguard tbh was a bad design from the get go...ultra modern hull with 1900's vintage weaponary.

  • Cool 1
  • Bad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
21 posts
2,673 battles

Can't WG just make Vanguard perform like super-buffed Warspite(current)??

Come on, no more short fuses on RN BBs please WG... We have already 3 RN Prem BBs with short AP fuses :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,021
[ARGSY]
Members
6,360 posts
4,288 battles
13 hours ago, Dr_Venture said:

Vanguard tbh was a bad design from the get go...ultra modern hull with 1900's vintage weaponary.

The turrets were buffed IRL. Her true value was in her fire control (in-game dispersion and range should be ridiculously good to match) and in her seakeeping, which WOWS doesn't currently model. If you modelled seakeeping accurately, Vanguard would be the only BB in-game that will keep her full speed in a storm. She was that good IRL. She would leave all pursuers behind, and she would run any other ship in the game down and mess its day up in weather that would make their fire control teams seasick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
147
Members
712 posts
15 hours ago, Dr_Venture said:

Vanguard tbh was a bad design from the get go...ultra modern hull with 1900's vintage weaponary.

proven reliable and accurate gun systems at their core even before you coupled the then latest technology to them, that were very well understood, on a ship that had to be mostly built without knowing the date that WW2 would end, built at a time that saving a few thousand tonnes of steel by using something you already have, means more things for the war effort can be built out of that steel and the ship enters service sooner.

 

 

Edited by b101uk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×