You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Skpstr

Donskoi?

21 comments in this topic

Members
18,173 posts
5,190 battles

I've just unlocked the Donskoi, and am checking it out.

Biggest downside I see is longer reload than a 203mm-armed cruiser, yet smaller guns.

Is this a Russian Izumo? 

I enjoy playing Chappy, and while Moskva would be nice to have, it's not a must. Is this ship worth getting on its own merits? (I realise that T9s are generally a bit "meh".

[INTEL]
Members
6,658 posts
25,685 battles

It is not a bad ship.Not an Izumo case.

I sold it after the grind and kept Chapayev.

It's slow turn made it hard for me. Did not like it. Tough tier for it to play.

Not that I'm too fond of Moskva, my least favored T10.

Chappy I like.

Edited by alexf24

[NDA]
Supertester
4,838 posts
13,778 battles

The Donskoi is a very good boat, just keep the big ships at mid to long range and watch them burn. The AP is good but only good against cruiser at close to mid range. 

[CAST]
Members
1,195 posts
7,363 battles

The Donskoi is a little fatter and less responsive than the Chappy.  But it still rains fire from a distance.  Use the long range it has.  It is a very capable cruiser.  It certainly isn't the Izumo of the cruiser line.  The Donskoi can hold its own in a fight.

[2CUTE]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,259 posts
3,852 battles

I had trouble with it when I first started, but coming back to it after getting Moskva and Kronshtadt, I got Donskoi again, and I've been using her as a high-speed kiting machine. You can spam HE at long range because of your velocity and the AP is dangerous because it has stupendous pen at range as well. You can pick away at DDs from ranges they think they are safe, and thats a strength too. 

[SF-3]
Members
1,502 posts
8,101 battles

It grows on you, certainly not anything like an Izumo grind. Finally an RU CA with useable torps, you catch so many people off guard with those torps.

• Cool 1

Members
2,557 posts
12,419 battles

Fun ship, I believe its a IFHE ship, so it follows the Chappy build. Moskva is where things get cattywampus

[CAST]
Members
1,195 posts
7,363 battles
1 minute ago, APA_204 said:

Fun ship, I believe its a IFHE ship, so it follows the Chappy build. Moskva is where things get cattywampus

Yes.  I ran IFHE on the Donskoi and then got rid of it in the respec when I put the captain in my Moskva after the grind.

[ARGSY]
5,174 posts
18,873 battles

One of the rather better T9.

You can kite big ships and kill loliboats. I went for the reload mod and not the range one. 11 sec reload, 17.8km range, flat shell arcs. Nothing wrong about this. Besides the horrendous spotting range ofc.

[SUCIT]
Members
31 posts
16,427 battles

The Donskoi is sort of an awkward ship. It's the only Russian cruiser beyond t5 with use-able torps, its guns need ifhe to properly work on bbs, and it has pretty bad concealment. However, its still a good ship with great shells and Russian radar.  

Edited by eagle_lance

[-K-]
Members
5,235 posts
9,096 battles
26 minutes ago, APA_204 said:

Yes, Donskoi is the last ship in the line that benefits from IFHE.  You'll want to be prepared to respec your captain for Moskva.

[NGA]
Members
1,285 posts
7,805 battles

She was one of the few tier IXs I bothered to grind through and it was a relatively enjoyable experience. Her guns may not be the best, but they hit fairly hard with their HE and they Det'd more than one unfortunate DD. She's the last of the traditionally Russian CLs with high speeds and little armor. Her torps are also quite nice weapons as people are too used to Russians only have short-ranged crap and I used them to send more than one careless BB to the bottom. The only complaint I have is that she had a tendency to wind up on maps with an abundance of islands that made playing to her long-range strengths a bit tricky. Still, I kept her after the grind and she still sits proudly in my port.

Members
18,173 posts
5,190 battles

Thanks guys.

Yeah, I know I'll have to respec to ditch the IFHE for Moskva.

Although, assuming Donskoi is enjoyable, I'm in no hurry to get Moskva.

[ARGSY]
5,174 posts
18,873 battles

Btw, if you turn her upside down you get this boat

Kji7u1N.jpg

• Funny 1

Members
18,173 posts
5,190 battles
3 minutes ago, Erebthoron said:

Kji7u1N.jpg

The way I play, I'd see that a lot lol.

[FFLY]
Members
80 posts
4,339 battles
On 10/1/2018 at 2:02 PM, Skpstr said:

The way I play, I'd see that a lot lol.

I don't have if he on my Capt yet.  What changes to what the ship does if I add it?   Will damage numbers go up or will I stop getting so many broken shells?

[OPGS]
Beta Testers
3,420 posts
5,821 battles
On 10/1/2018 at 12:15 PM, Skpstr said:

Biggest downside I see is longer reload than a 203mm-armed cruiser, yet smaller guns.

Is this a Russian Izumo? 

I enjoy playing Chappy, and while Moskva would be nice to have, it's not a must. Is this ship worth getting on its own merits? (I realise that T9s are generally a bit "meh".

I loved the Donskoi...it was the first Russian cruiser I could kite battleships at long range and burn the crap out of them. I like the guns, they are very accurate...it has been a very long time since I last played it but I had very fond memories of it.

[OPGS]
Beta Testers
3,420 posts
5,821 battles
On 10/1/2018 at 1:59 PM, Erebthoron said:

Kji7u1N.jpg

Did you know that Typhoons actually had a pool inside for the crew to relax in.

Members
18,173 posts
5,190 battles
3 hours ago, Capt_Apollo said:

I don't have if he on my Capt yet.  What changes to what the ship does if I add it?   Will damage numbers go up or will I stop getting so many broken shells?

Assuming you are using 6" guns, without IFHE, you can pen 25mm of armor. That lets you pen T7 and lower BB bows and sterns. Unfortunately, T8 BBs have 32mm of armor there. IFHE gives you enough extra pen to get through those.

So yes, you'll get more damaging hits.

(Note that KM 150mm guns have better HE pen, so don't need it)

[0456]
[0456]
Members
2,809 posts
7,992 battles
6 hours ago, Belthorian said:

Did you know that Typhoons actually had a pool inside for the crew to relax in.

I think the Oscars did too. 

[SYN]
Members
4,541 posts
11,437 battles
On 10/1/2018 at 9:15 AM, Skpstr said:

Is this a Russian Izumo? 

I like the Don, and I plan on keeping it.  Actually sold the Chappy.  Did OK, just never cared much for it.  Don't know why.

Don't let the smaller caliber of the guns fool you.  These guns are lasers, almost impossible to miss, and they hit hard once you get IFHE.  Donskoi is in her element at long range.