You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Peppa_Chan_v3v

Premium Account Changes

23 comments in this topic

[CVR]
Members
138 posts
5,529 battles

Recently our colleague "HARKONNEN" has published on his site The Daily Bounce about a project that WG is planning to implement in World of Tanks  (although hopefully it will be for all the games of the firm).

The news consists of an implementation on a new premium time system, that is to say a new model referring to premium time and its action within the game. In such a project, it is intended to change the operation of how premium time acts in the player's account and for this, different users have been chosen who will be able to test this function.

For the moment we can speculate how the new form of premium would be and what we can expect from it, although of course, being a project can and will not happen.

And you, what do you think the new system would look like and how would it work?

*In my opinion, it would be a great idea since many players, especially those who work or study, we could take advantage of the premium time in a better way, but of course, would have to put a limit on the premium time to buy and price, because as it says in the article Harko, the time would be 24 hours per day played.*

1537962051-shot-094.png?resize=1024%2C608&ssl=1

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,112 posts
12,671 battles

Seems like a bad idea, honestly.

1. Premium time should encourage players to log on and play. This does the opposite -- it encourages you to think twice and only log on when you'll get the most value out of a heavy play session.
  2. Premium time should give you peace of mind. When you buy a year of premium, one of the benefits is not having to worry about money for that year. Flexible Premium takes that away, by giving you something to think about every time -- do I want to burn a day of Premium or not?
  3. Prices may increase. Current Premium pricing takes into account the fact that most people don't play every day of their subscription period, so they can be fairly generous with their discounting of long-period plans. This selective use system does not do that, which means that they may raise the sticker price to compensate. Those of us who do play nearly every day would end up paying more than we currently do.
  • Cool 7
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 2

[O7]
Members
534 posts
12,744 battles
2 minutes ago, Edgecase said:

1. Premium time should encourage players to log on and play. This does the opposite -- it encourages you to think twice and only log on when you'll get the most value out of a heavy play session.
  2. Premium time should give you peace of mind. When you buy a year of premium, one of the benefits is not having to worry about money for that year. Flexible Premium takes that away, by giving you something to think about every time -- do I want to burn a day of Premium or not?
  3. Prices may increase. Current Premium pricing takes into account the fact that most people don't play every day of their subscription period, so they can be fairly generous with their discounting of long-period plans. This selective use system does not do that, which means that they may raise the sticker price to compensate. Those of us who do play nearly every day would end up paying more than we currently do.

This is perfectly stated.  Premium time is absurdly inexpensive and always has been.  It equates to approximately $13/mo at full price.  There are many discounts that lower this to under $10/mo.  Changing the system will lead to price increases for regular players, and will lower overall server population as players will only login if they are ready to play for several hours.  This is not the direction the game should be headed.

• Cool 4
  • Boring 1

Members
221 posts
9 minutes ago, Edgecase said:

The counter argument is that people may not buy premium time because they may not believe they are getting good value if their play time is only on weekends or some other schedule that doesn't constitute regular play. 

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Members
9,058 posts

Might be fine if they keep the current model and add this as merely another option.

• Cool 3

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,112 posts
12,671 battles
2 minutes ago, General_Lee_Miserable said:

The counter argument is that people may not buy premium time because they may not believe they are getting good value if their play time is only on weekends or some other schedule that doesn't constitute regular play. 

I get where you're coming from. However, consider that someone with an irregular play schedule may still find time for a game before bed on a weeknight... and this flexible premium system will (feel like) it punishes them for playing that game by deducting an entire day's credit from their balance. So there's a good chance they just wouldn't play instead, which isn't good for the game, as it means fewer people in the queue, and so on.

Members
181 posts
1,591 battles

If you buy Premium time to play. Why would you buy it to sleep?

This flexible premium is a good Idea.... If you think the population will shrink I suggest you go see yours.

[CAST]
Members
1,215 posts
7,407 battles

It will benefits some players, but not others.  As mentioned above, the price structure might change to compensate for the average user rate.  For example, if the yearly price is CA $120, that equates to about $0.33 per day of play.  If WG does an analysis and determines that the player average equates to 240 days per year of play time, then the price might go up to $0.50 per day, which is the same $120 price tag per year.  It will benefit lower volume users more than high volume users in that case.   If the price per day stays the same as it is now, then it will benefit everyone, but will still benefit the low volume users the most.  

I could see players holding off playing a quick game so that they would save the cost of a day of play, then planning and playing several games on a single day.

Members
1,459 posts
12,365 battles

Hmmm, interesting.  I am a “mature” player, grinded all the lines and sitting on pile of credits, so the value of premiums time has diminished a bit.  When you are grinding and credit poor, Premium time is one of the best purchases you can make to support your efforts in the game.  Now that grind/credit pressure is off, I purchase spot days or weekends with doubloons if there is something I wish to accomplish (missions), or some bonus.  Would like “turn on premium “ option, so that I could buy a bit and apply when I wish.

Edited by Panzer1113
  • Cool 1

[SF-3]
Members
1,540 posts
8,172 battles

I have no doubt in my mind prices will go through the roof to compensate, also discounts will nearly disappear, but we will see.

[DRACS]
Members
3,504 posts

I would like to see both options available.

I personally still prefer the current system as I always take the half off year deal. I also have a tendency of keeping the client open even when not playing and I fear I'd keep doing that without realizing it, lol

On the other hand, flex time would be great for those who only play a little here and there.

[RKN]
Beta Testers
1,017 posts
9,102 battles

If they implement this, I’m sure it would be another option to the current system. I bet it would be like 3x more expensive per day so it is still economically viable for them. 

Supertester
3,004 posts
10,057 battles
1 hour ago, General_Lee_Miserable said:

While what you say is true, in the same instance, you will find people complaining that the free items they receive aren't "free enough".

By that I am referring to the portion of the population of general people who no matter what is given or done for them, is never enough. In turn, with this, despite 30 days of premium time in a game that they may play only 6 hours a month in and it costs only $13. They will still complain about it costing too much and they'll conveniently overlook the fact that a trip to a two hour movie at a theater will, at minimum, cost at least twice that (for just one ticket/popcorn, etc.). 

But hey, it's all about perspective what's good for them is good for them and what's good for everyone else is, well, who cares..... It's a very pessimistic way to look at this, but I've been in enough debates about this very subject.

Edited by BURN_Miner

[WOLF5]
Members
1,140 posts
8,368 battles

A compromise would be to implement this in reverse, with some limited number of "vacation holds" included in any long-term premium time subscription.

[ENDVR]
Members
432 posts
5,346 battles

Compare the whole thing to car insurance.  Now, if you buy car insurance, you're covered on all the days you don't get in an accident, including days you don't even drive.  If the insurance world changed to only needing to pay on the days you do get in an accident or the days you do drive, the prices would skyrocket because the people who aren't getting in accidents aren't covering the insurance company's loss on the people who do get in accidents.

Result: You get in an accident, total your car, but you have insurance!  However, the cost to be covered by that insurance is just about the same as buying a new car.

No thanks, I'm cool with paying 30 cents every day, even on the days I don't play rather than paying $2.00 a day but only for the days I do play.

Edited by SmokeHenge
spellification

[FGNE]
Members
437 posts
728 battles
1 hour ago, General_Lee_Miserable said:

This.  My friends only sometimes buy it, if they are going to game over 3 hours, or plan on playing a few days in a row.  Otherwise they will just play with out premium because it is a "waste of money".  If I could buy 30 days at a slightly increased price, I would prefer to do that as it would make me feel like I am getting my full value out of it.  If I don't log in everyday, I feel like I am wasting money.  It is also a good way to get people who wouldn't normally spend money to spend some money.

Edited by JonnyFreedom

Members
2,918 posts
1,365 battles
1 hour ago, Edgecase said:

Well, if its anything lke Armored warfare prem, its the same price.  A flexible prem type deal would be great, as you get the most bang for your buck, buying premium only when you will use it.

I think it might encourage more to buy prem if it wont go to waste.  I know a flexible prem system could convince me to buy more.  I dont currently for the exact reason of Idk when ill get a huge play session.

[WOLF1]
Members
2,044 posts

i support the idea, why do i have to keep playing the whole day and get burnt out, instead of take it easy and enjoy whenever i like to play, not i "have to" play

currently the big reason i don't want to buy premium time is, it mostly will get wasted, if they implement flexible time, use it when you play it, i will buy more premium time knowing they won't be wasted

Edited by Happy668

[NMKJT]
Members
2,738 posts

I welcome the change if it means the spam from tanks will stop.

I haven't played the game on years and get constant messages telling me my premium time is about to expire come back to the game.

If I filter out those messages then I lose the messages I want from say Ships.

So yeah, welcome change.

And I discount the idea of a price increase. If they need to increase revenue it's gonna happen, so to me it's a wash

[ENDVR]
Members
432 posts
5,346 battles
27 minutes ago, Wombatmetal said:

And I discount the idea of a price increase. If they need to increase revenue it's gonna happen, so to me it's a wash

Sure, if they choose to trade long-term purchasers for short-term purchasers, it's not our decision, but that only leads to revenue in the current system, not the flexible system.

Beta Testers
399 posts
3,655 battles

If they're thinking of implementing flexible time along side standard time that would be the best route as it broadens the choices the players have, and I personally support it.

With World of Warcraft grinds going on right now, I play maybe an hour and half at night after my WoW stuff is done.

If I could say pay 33% or 50% for time that is only consumed when I play, I'd be happy to as there are some nights I can't play that makes taking more than 24 hours a craps shoot, and for the little time I play during the week (more on weekends mind you) paying 250 gold a day for an hour and a bit of game time is kind of a waste.

But if I could say buy a weeks premium time for 50% more than standard but it lasts me maybe 10 or 11 days due to my play time, it works out all the same and would be worth it more to someone like me.

[BRZKR]
[BRZKR]
Members
422 posts
2 hours ago, RipNuN2 said:

Might be fine if they keep the current model and add this as merely another option.

That would be a good idea. I have always thought that the current premium day policy is a loss towards players who play occasionally or on the weekend. By doing a flexible version of the premium time policy, more players can enjoy premium time without the fear that they will lose most of the money they spent. I also agree that the current one should be an option for those who play a lot. In other words, players can have two options to choose from.

[RLGN]
Members
475 posts
4,384 battles

I wouldn't mind if premium time became more expensive if it started working like XP boosters do in several other multiplayer games where they tick down game time rather than real time.  As several have pointed out this would probably mean it gets more expensive but on the other hand I feel like I'd get more for my money that way.  I don't play regularly enough to justify premium time.  If it ticked down game time I'd probably be sure to keep an account.