Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Gneisenau013

Mid-Tier Mondays - Favorite Maps

15 comments in this topic

[WGA]
Administrator, Developers
896 posts
5,928 battles

eafcdd04-3c09-11e5-9c8d-000c2994974d.jpg

Which map do you have the most success in mid-tier battles?

While many of the maps have similar features, some of them are well suited for specific gameplay and tactics.

Also, skilled and experienced captains have developed effective tactics and strategy for inflicting maximum damage on the enemy fleet.

It's Monday, you're mid-tiered, and a map is displayed on your pre-battle screen. Which one brings a grin to your face?

"If you do something once, people will call it an accident. If you do it twice, they call it a coincidence. But do it a third time and you've just proven a natural law!" - Grace Hopper, US Navy

#midtiermonday

#anchorsaweigh

[-K-]
Members
5,261 posts
9,104 battles

Anything that isn't called Tears of the Desert or Okinawa.

Low tier maps are usually more fun, offering more island cover and tight quarters combat, without the extreme size of the larger maps.

Speaking of, @Gneisenau013, has there been any word on new map development of late?  We're always receiving new ships and game modes, which is great, but without new maps, it can get redundant and stale pretty quickly.

• Cool 2

[-FH-]
Members
54 posts
707 battles

I am a huge fan of Trident (with the evening appeal).  I just feel like it is a very balanced map, and offers advantages and cover to all ship types.

• Cool 2

[HINON]
Members
2,266 posts
6,323 battles

Fault-line.... in Fiji or Jervis and charging right up through C cap.... very rarely can I be stopped once I get going

• Cool 1

[WGA]
Administrator, Developers
896 posts
5,928 battles
52 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

Anything that isn't called Tears of the Desert or Okinawa.

Low tier maps are usually more fun, offering more island cover and tight quarters combat, without the extreme size of the larger maps.

Speaking of, @Gneisenau013, has there been any word on new map development of late?  We're always receiving new ships and game modes, which is great, but without new maps, it can get redundant and stale pretty quickly.

Both of the maps you mentioned I only see when I'm in Tier VIII and up battles. So fortunately my Helena, Boise, and Nueve de Julio haven't been subjected to either map in those ships or lower tiered ones...yet.

As for new maps, the SuperTest server is always trying out new things so maybe they are cooking up something special?

Did you try out the ranked battles on the latest Public Test session? Tier V on low-mid tier maps....exciting and terrifying at the same time!

"Flying is hours and hours of boredom sprinkled with a few seconds of sheer terror." - Gregory "Pappy" Boyington, US Marine Corps

#anchorsaweigh

[WOLFA]
Members
75 posts
5,837 battles

I actually enjoy Two Brothers, and the chess match it offers .... except when someone YOLOs through the slot from your team's side, and immediately put's you down a ship. Plenty of places for all types of ships to do their voodoo that they do so well on that map. It is best not to rush the play in this map, which is also a plus -- unless you are in Co Op that is. 

• Cool 2

[WOLFA]
Members
75 posts
5,837 battles
11 minutes ago, BlueByYou said:

I actually enjoy Two Brothers, and the chess match it offers .... except when someone YOLOs through the slot from your team's side, and immediately put's you down a ship. Plenty of places for all types of ships to do their voodoo that they do so well on that map. It is best not to rush the play in this map, which is also a plus -- unless you are in Co Op that is. 

BTW Gneisenau013, I consider T7 to be Mid Tier ... I used to consider T8 Mid Tier as well until now always getting uptierd to T10 battles. 

• Cool 1

[SCTFB]
[SCTFB]
Beta Testers
3,975 posts
15,611 battles

Suicide Islands oops I mean Solomon Islands

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,815 posts
10,605 battles

So by "Mid Tier" I assume you mean T5-T7 ships. For that I would say that I really like and do well on...

• Straight
  • Estuary
  • Neighbors
  • 2 Brothers

There are a couple others like Solomon Islands and Archipelago that I really like but they are maps where T5 would always be top tier and I consider them more a low tier map. 

Edited by AdmiralThunder

Members
3,779 posts
14,032 battles

"Two Brothers" can be a lotta fun. Especially for bushwhacking some bonehead(s) that charge through Deadman's Gulch early in the battle.

"Neighbors" is a good map but I'm getting burnt out on it since it's the map I see the most at mid tiers.

Edited by ReddNekk

[-CIV-]
Members
232 posts
2,364 battles
  • Neighbors: Apparently one of the older maps, but one where each section of the map favors different playstyles. It often leads to interesting end-games.
  • Shards: I know this one is a salt mine, but I think it's really good at showing how fleets have a center of mass. Most matches are decided by mid-game, but it's still interesting to study.
  • Northern Lights: Does this one count as a mid-tier map? I like that it's larger than most maps and has a variety of tall and low islands, leading to slower-paced play and giving teams more time to regroup and set up plans.

Members
24 posts
569 battles

I very much used to hate Fault Line but it has grown on me and while I [edited] about it, I keep having success battle after battle.  Maybe I'm learning it.  Maybe I'm just playing a lot less BB and making the most of things...

[FAE]
Members
2,161 posts
2,635 battles

Some questions, is there a place that keeps images of all the current maps in rotation that can be easily accessed and referenced via link for discussion on these forums? Is this resource located on the main Wows website, or do we have to go external to wows wiki? (which, is probably ok) 

Edit: here: http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Maps

All that said, very very very few of the maps are what I'd consider fun and good. Also the design of the game hinges too much on breaking LOS with rocks and islands. Which doesn't seem like most of the battles fought in open water. (Granted there were also plenty of battles fought around land masses). 

The very old maps looked a lot more visually entertaining from a patchable terrain perspective. 

The new maps are in constant flux, which is annoying, nor are they very natural or very good. They're also starting to look very very similar. 

I do like Okinawa, esp learning where you can use A to fire unseen at the enemy. Though, it is a painful map at times. 

The Ring of Fire one is great both in Ranked and in Randoms. 

(A ping for Ocean, though its t10 only) 

--

Midtier: 

Brothers is not bad. Its quite fun on any part, but the right side can be very troublesome. 

Strait: That map with ABC and big rocks to hide CVs behind is actually a great map... but the problem is that there's no way to teach new players that the wrong move is to avoid your closest cap. People tend to want to hide and cry and die on this one.

New Dawn is fine too. 

Edited by BlailBlerg

Members
2,481 posts
2,336 battles

Its a toss up between Ring (Low end), Estuary (mid range) and Two Brothers (Can see T-X). 

[RKLES]
Members
7,200 posts
8,971 battles

Love Fault Line, the terrain, layout, and appearance keeps battles feeling fresh for me even after all this time and even after I saw plenty of it in tier VI Ranked as well.

Sign in to follow this