You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Jaybirdslayergaming

How to Tier VIII Kiev?

13 comments in this topic

[KHAN]
Members
9 posts
1,074 battles

Got my stock Kiev a week or so ago, got about 20-30 games down in it, but all but one or two were tier 10. I'm sick of getting radared by cruisers, and gunned down by higher tier dds.  I feel like the Kiev is a lot more different than the Minsk, with its horrible concealment, sluggish rudder, and large size.  So, how exactly do I play Kiev and not be eaten alive by cruisers, destroyers, or battleship secondaries?

Also, what modules should I research?  I already have the GFCS modification to lengthen the Kiev's gun range.  What should I take next?  Torpedoes or hull?  I think I'm going to get the hull, but I just need some advice.  Any signal or camouflage suggestions would be helpful too.

Thanks!

Edited by Jaybirdslayergaming

Members
18,219 posts
5,196 battles
7 minutes ago, Jaybirdslayergaming said:

Got my stock Kiev a week or so ago, got about 20-30 games down in it, but all but one or two were tier 10. I'm sick of getting radared by cruisers, and gunned down by higher tier dds.  I feel like the Kiev is a lot more different than the Minsk, with its horrible concealment, sluggish rudder, and large size.  So, how exactly do I play Kiev and not be eaten alive by cruisers, destroyers, or battleship secondaries?

Also, what modules should I research?  I already have the GFCS modification to lengthen the Kiev's gun range.  What should I take next?  Torpedoes or hull?  I think I'm going to get the hull, but I just need some advice.  Any signal or camouflage suggestions would be helpful too.

Thanks!

Hull first is always the way to go IMO. That will speed up your rudder shift.

From what I know of that line specifically, you're getting more into the realm of CL jr., so that would be the way to play it.

[SYN]
Members
4,546 posts
11,437 battles

Rule of thumb:  Kiev, and the Primary Line Russian destroyers in general, aren't destroyers.  They're citadel-less, high-speed cruisers.  Play them as such.

Playing VMF DD's like conventional destroyers is a very common error committed among many players.

You job isn't to go into the caps at the start of matches and knife fight with other DDs.  You will lose most, if not all of the time.  Your job is to orbit around a flank at maximum speed, and pepper enemy ships with unending HE fire from maximum range.  That's it.  That's all do.  Keep moving, keep firing, and engage close to your guns maximum range.  Don't stop for anything, ever, and unless you know you are absolutely safe in doing so, do not stop to park in smoke.

You don't contest caps, at least not directly (you can, however, provide medium range gunnery support to those who do).  You don't try sneaking torps at anyone.  In fact, forget you even have torpedoes.  They are opportunistic weapons only, and will never be you primary means of hitting the enemy.

You certainly aren't worried about radar while playing Russian DD's.  You aren't worried about being spotted.  You actually want to be seen in many cases.  VMF DDs can be some of the most annoying disruptors to an enemy team, often merely by their announced presence.  Don't ever waste capitan points on concealment, on any VMF DD.  Maximise your gunnery effectiveness and HP.

Sierra-Mike and Juliet Charlie are the only signals I use for Russian DDs, aside from XP and Credit boosting signals when multipliers are running.  Also, get the Engine Boost Upgrade Mod II for the second upgrade slot, as this increases the time of the consumable by 50 percent and, when combined with SM, will have you zipping around map at just under 50 kts for more than 2 minutes.

*Note that this only applies to the Primary line of VMF DDs.  The split line of DDs are actually more like conventional destroyers and should be used as such.

EDIT:  Beware of high tier German cruisers.  These guys apparently know how to deal with Russian DDs.  Stay away from these.  :Smile_ohmy:

Edited by Kuckoo
  • Cool 1

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,446 posts
11,741 battles
32 minutes ago, Kuckoo said:

Rule of thumb:  Kiev, and Russian destroyers in general, aren't destroyers.  They're citadel-less, high-speed cruisers.  Play them as such.

Playing VMF DD's like conventional destroyers is a very common error committed among many players.

You job isn't to go into the caps at the start of matches and knife fight with other DDs.  You will lose most, if not all of the time.  Your job is to orbit around a flank at maximum speed, and pepper enemy ships with unending HE fire from maximum range.  That's it.  That's all do.  Keep moving, keep firing, and engage close to your guns maximum range.  Don't stop for anything, ever, and unless you know you are absolutely safe in doing so, do not stop to park in smoke.

You don't contest caps, at least not directly (you can, however, provide medium range gunnery support to those who do).  You don't try sneaking torps at anyone.  In fact, forget you even have torpedoes.  They are opportunistic weapons only, and will never be you primary means of hitting the enemy.

You certainly aren't worried about radar while playing Russian DD's.  You aren't worried about being spotted.  You actually want to be seen in many cases.  VMF DDs can be some of the most annoying disruptors to an enemy team, often merely by their announced presence.  Don't ever waste capitan points on concealment, on any VMF DD.  Maximise your gunnery effectiveness and HP.

Sierra-Mike and Juliet Charlie are the only signals I use for Russian DDs, aside from XP and Credit boosting signals when multipliers are running.  Also, get the Engine Boost Upgrade Mod II for the second upgrade slot, as this increases the time of the consumable by 50 percent and, when combined with SM, will have you zipping around map at just under 50 kts for more than 2 minutes.

EDIT:  Beware of high tier German cruisers.  These guys apparently know how to deal with Russian DDs.  Stay away from these.  :Smile_ohmy:

My Udoloi disagrees. 8km torps. Able to stealth torp. And win gun fights in cap.

My Trascan agrees, kite and spam.

[APOC]
Members
637 posts
11,690 battles

Most people on the forum will advocate a no concealment cruiser type build. If you want to learn how to play it more like a destroyer, send me a private message.

[SYN]
Members
4,546 posts
11,437 battles
57 minutes ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

My Udoloi disagrees. 8km torps. Able to stealth torp. And win gun fights in cap.

My Trascan agrees, kite and spam.

Yeah, I failed to make the distinction with the "torpedo line".  Especially the Ognevoi and Udaloi.  They are the exception.

Fixed.

Edited by Kuckoo

[INTEL]
Members
8,578 posts
25,666 battles
On 10/1/2018 at 7:31 AM, Jaybirdslayergaming said:

So, how exactly do I play Kiev and not be eaten alive by cruisers, destroyers, or battleship secondaries?

Zoom! Pew   pewpew  pew pew pew Zoom!  pewppewpewpewpewpewpewpewpew   silence   silence  pewpewpewpewpewpewpewpewpewpewpewpewpewpew TORP HIT! pewpewpewpewpewpewpew Zoom! Zoom!  Zoom! pew pew   pewpew   pew  pew pew pew pewpewpewpewpewpewpewpewpewpewpewpew  

[KP]
Members
2,066 posts
18,777 battles
22 minutes ago, Jaybirdslayergaming said:

Hmmm... what captain skills should I take then?

I take PT, EM, LS, BFT, AFT, IFHE, and DE. I'm pretty good in Kiev and have over 300 battles in randoms just in tier 8 and 300 battles on hen it was at tier 7. It's one of my most played ships. Mine is a true gunboat or go home build. Others take conceal but IMHO conceal on RU DD's is for sissies.

Members
316 posts
2,271 battles

I just got the Kiev as well. You sit at max range and go pew pew.

Like others have said, you don't want to be trying to cap, at least not in the earliest stages. You will lose because of the things said above: horrible concealment, sluggish rudder, and large size. But admittedly it's so tempting when teammates are egging you on to go into the cap. 

A bit of a topic hijack, but I struggle the most in low DD matches. The Kiev really can't do DD things and doesn't have a stealthier destroyer to lead the way, so it always feels like my team is down a DD when I play it. Anyone have any tips for the early game in these types of matches?

Edited by Giantsgiants

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,405 posts
3,875 battles

Floor the gas, tape down the fire button, and turn slightly now and then.

Edited by KiyoSenkan