You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
NoZoupForYou

WV Preview - Why it's so Important to get the Ship Right

41 comments in this topic

[BRZKR]
WoWS Community Contributors
1,474 posts
4,768 battles

I just saw the Dev Blog (naming this WB 1941)and would like to commend WG on somewhat understanding the situation.  In some ways it makes this video old news, as I had no idea this announcement would come.  However, a lot of what I have to say is highly relevant because it speaks to the importance of these ships, and WG still not listening in the beggining.  They can save a lot of heartache if they get feedback a little more proactively.  A lot of people are passionate about this ship, evidenced in the image capture from facebook that I accidently included and can't delete, lol.

image.png

Edited by NoZoupForYou
  • Cool 1
  • Bad 7

[WORX]
Members
1,870 posts
12,936 battles

*sigh* Its like teaching, in order to teach you to have be a great listener. IF you can't/wont/unwilling to listen then what ever results I, as a student will have. Will only reflect my short comings in my abilities as a communicator.

Edited by Navalpride33

Beta Testers
2,998 posts
4,437 battles
5 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

*sigh* Its like teaching, in order to teach you to have be a great listener. IF you can't/wont/unwilling to listen then what ever results I, as a student will have. Will only reflect my short comings in my abilities as a communicator.

that's my weakness,if  something catch my attention,i can easily learn it,it would be rare for me to repeat it(reading the same thing again,or practicing it). but if something is not interesting to me,not even the best teacher would make me understand it.

of course most of the time it all comes down to HOW the teacher works to catch my attention.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,414 posts
9,604 battles

It's a Tier 6. So it got the Mutsu treatment. Do we get torpedoes??

Members
326 posts
31 battles

I just hope people just wake up and NOBODY buys this POS. The only way we can get Wargaming to moderate their predatory practices is to not buy recycled A hull ships from the tech tree masquerading as premium ships. As long as people continue to behave stupidly and buy this kind of trash Wargaming will continue to flood the market with ships that required NO EFFORT on Wargamings part. It is a cash crab, nothing else, if you buy this ship, you are part of the problem.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 2

[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
4,836 posts
7,129 battles

Why are people upset at WV's release in this configuration? What am I missing? After all, tier 6 is a fine and enjoyable part of WOWS, with a diverse range of worthy opponents, Fuso and Bayern, GC and more. Besides, the US needs a t6 premium bb, it doesn't need yet another t8.

Nozoup makes the argument of respect for history on one hand, but rejects history on the other, only wanting to retain the "good bits", the bits "what we won!" Patriotism getting silly. Imagine if we rejected the in game Tirpitz because it was sunk by the Brit Lancaster bombers, you see? Stupid.

I'll go further, now having listened right through to the end, Nozoup makes a direct appeal to what we would call in Europe, nationalism "standing up for my West Virginian brothers here!", truelly absurd over a pixel bote. Nozoup, you claim to care about military history, but your own rejection of a good percentage of that history, as "not worthy", demonstrates the very opposite. Indeed, you don't care, not one iota.

• Cool 4
  • Bad 3

Members
220 posts
7,619 battles
32 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

I don't know man the best teacher I ever had was this lady named Petra Fromme who didn't really listen because we were too busy listening to her droppin science. I mean wow she had knowledge shooting out her eyeballs and if we were to stop her from her lectures which were awesome by the way then we'd lose out on gaining that super baller knowledge she had on electron transfer in various bionanostructures, plus you know when there is a giant in the field of crystallography of significant biomolecules like photosystem II and atp synthase, you tend to just listen if you know what I mean.

• Funny 1

[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
4,836 posts
7,129 battles

devblog : 

"Dear players.

After the announcement of the tier VI American battleship West Virginia, we noticed that many of you would like to see this ship in a later configuration. Thank you for your feedback. We would like to inform you that the battleship, which we plan to add to the game now, will be renamed and called West Virginia ’41, and in the future we plan to create a West Virginia from a later period.

We would also like to note that the creation of a new configuration of the ship is a long process, which is largely similar to the creation of a ship from scratch. To reliably recreate the state of the ship for a certain year, we need to collect a lot of materials and evidence, work on the model, and carry it through all stages of testing. Therefore, we can not promise that West Virginia of the late period will appear in the game in the near future and ask for your patience and understanding as we work to deliver a ship that fits your expectations according to your valued feedback."

https://www.facebook.com/wowsdevblog

[WORX]
Members
1,870 posts
12,936 battles
7 minutes ago, Pytheas said:

if we were to stop her from her lectures which were awesome by the way then we'd lose out on gaining that super baller knowledge she had on electron transfer in various bionanostructures, plus you know when there is a giant in the field of crystallography of significant biomolecules like photosystem II and atp synthase, you tend to just listen if you know what I mean.

^^ you made my point lol. You listened to her, WOWS is well not. I have my own teacher horror stories too, man I get PTSD just thinking about those strict mean teachers. But we listened lol.

3 minutes ago, LoveBote said:

devblog : 

"Dear players.

After the announcement of the tier VI American battleship West Virginia, we noticed that many of you would like to see this ship in a later configuration. Thank you for your feedback. We would like to inform you that the battleship, which we plan to add to the game now, will be renamed and called West Virginia ’41, and in the future we plan to create a West Virginia from a later period.

We would also like to note that the creation of a new configuration of the ship is a long process, which is largely similar to the creation of a ship from scratch. To reliably recreate the state of the ship for a certain year, we need to collect a lot of materials and evidence, work on the model, and carry it through all stages of testing. Therefore, we can not promise that West Virginia of the late period will appear in the game in the near future and ask for your patience and understanding as we work to deliver a ship that fits your expectations according to your valued feedback."

^^^^ Mybe I maybe proveen wrong this time ? Yikes....

Edited by Navalpride33

[--V--]
Members
499 posts
10,756 battles

From WGs statement regarding release of the refitted WV:  "ask for your patience and understanding"   To me this means its on the back burner and no development work will be spent on it.  In 6 months, players will be screaming about something else and WG will move on.  A refitted WV will never be released.  My opinion.

Members
326 posts
31 battles
26 minutes ago, LoveBote said:

Why are people upset at WV's release in this configuration? What am I missing? After all, tier 6 is a fine and enjoyable part of WOWS, with a diverse range of worthy opponents, Fuso and Bayern, GC and more. Besides, the US needs a t6 premium bb, it doesn't need yet another t8.

Nozoup makes the argument of respect for history on one hand, but rejects history on the other, only wanting to retain the "good bits", the bits "what we won!" Patriotism getting silly. Imagine if we rejected the in game Tirpitz because it was sunk by the Brit Lancaster bombers, you see? Stupid.

I'll go further, now having listened right through to the end, Nozoup makes a direct appeal to what we would call in Europe, nationalism "standing up for my West Virginian brothers here!", truelly absurd over a pixel bote. Nozoup, you claim to care about military history, but your own rejection of a good percentage of that history, as "not worthy", demonstrates the very opposite. Indeed, you don't care, not one iota.

First the US already has the Arizona at T-6. Second the people who thought the West Virginia should be at tier 8 are morons. Third, the West Virginia in her 44 refit would fit in fine at T-7 where there is no premium, she would be generally superior to the Colorado in every way which causes some people to have fits but the Colorado is the WORST T-7 battleship by a HUGE margin. Wargaming deliberately made the Colorado so bad as a gimmick to get people to spend money to free XP past her to the North Carolina. They did the same thing with the Furataka and the Izumo, and Pensacola. The idea was if you put a HORRIBLE ship in the tech tree line that is far worse than the ship before it people will spend money out of frustration to free xp past the dogs of the line. So just because Wargaming used the Colorado as the designated turd of the line should not stop them from offering a truly decent American battleship at T-7.

• Cool 1

[SBS]
Members
2,483 posts
2,253 battles
Just now, SeaborneSumo said:

From WGs statement regarding release of the refitted WV:  "ask for your patience and understanding"   To me this means its on the back burner and no development work will be spent on it.  In 6 months, players will be screaming about something else and WG will move on.  A refitted WV will never be released.  My opinion.

To be fair to WG they probably have their ship development team(s) booked solid for at least 6 months, probably a lot longer than that.  I wouldn't expect WG to drop everything to make another WV.  Besides, if you know the refit WV is right around the corner why would you buy this one?

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,113 posts
8,680 battles

Well I am glad they are changing it, but instead of WV 1941, why not just name the T6 version the Maryland?

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
6,354 posts
4,288 battles
12 minutes ago, Slimeball91 said:

Besides, if you know the refit WV is right around the corner why would you buy this one?

Because you want the WV that would have fought in the alternative scenario where Pearl Harbour never happened because the Americans had already gone to war with Japan/the Axis in general over some other trigger, or where the Japanese planes got sprung on the inbound flight for some reason and the WV survived and never got her full reconstruction.

[ARGSY]
Members
6,354 posts
4,288 battles
1 minute ago, Chaos_EN2 said:

Well I am glad they are changing it, but instead of WV 1941, why not just name the T6 version the Maryland?

You never know; that could be the next step. I imagine renaming the ship is trivial compared to reworking it.

They've twigged to the fact that people are upset; it wouldn't be beyond them to take that one extra step backwards.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[CO_OP]
Beta Testers
157 posts
2,808 battles

It nice they listen to the player base and plan to release a refitted version later on.  I still holding hope for the USS Pennsylvania (BB-38) 1943 refitted. But really doubt it ever make it in game. 

[2CUTE]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,264 posts
3,852 battles

It needs a tier 7 if anything, really. 

Not really. West Virginia is known for two things, getting sunk at Pearl, and Surigao Strait. WV represented at Pearl is presenting the ship at her least best. There is an appeal for the old standards, and Maryland is certainly part of that appeal. But if a premium ship is a story, like Warspite is her service in the Mediterranean in 42-43, Tirpitz is the terror she would be if she snuck out of Norway to fight, Arizona if Japan sailed up to the doorstep of Pearl Harbor looking for a gun fight, then West Virginia 1941 is a baby lamb waiting to be turned to mutton. Her 1941 representation is telling only half the story. All of us want to see our country's ships represented in their best form and 1941 WV is not quite it.  

I don't see what you're talking about here. I'm a MilHist buff too (edging on being a historian at this point really) and I stand with Zoup. Its not Nationalism, or fervent patriotism. It's like rallying the fans of your favorite football team. Thats part of naming your ships after a state in your dominion. I'm from Illinois. If Wargaming dropped USS Illinois as a tier 2 with no guns and a sky-high apartment complex (as she was when she was a barracks ship) Then you bet I'd be livid on the forum, and youtube, and facebook rallying for her to be in her best condition, which was not when she was a barracks ship but a true battleship. Same deal. While I won't go so far as to say 1941 WV isn't worthy, I'll say that its not the part of the story of the ship that needs told again. We already have a Pearl Harbor ship. West Virginia needs to be in her final form. We want different from an A-hull Colorado clone. 

• Cool 1

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,113 posts
8,680 battles
2 minutes ago, Mheetu said:

It nice they listen to the player base and plan to release a refitted version later on.  I still holding hope for the USS Pennsylvania (BB-38) 1943 refitted. But really doubt it ever make it in game. 

I keep hoping for the USS Olympia (C-6), so I know ho you feel.:Smile_honoring:

Members
9,980 posts
59 minutes ago, LoveBote said:

US needs a tier 6 premium BB? :Smile_amazed:

image.thumb.png.e571e35e970c8c05be1b920fe39011f2.png

Edited by awiggin

[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
4,836 posts
7,129 battles
Just now, awiggin said:

US needs a tier 6 premium BB? :Smile_amazed:

well, it *only* has one, for now. Fine, that part of my argument is dead in the water. ALL IS FINE!:Smile_hiding:

[ARS]
Beta Testers
2,253 posts
1,860 battles
Just now, AVR_Project said:

It's a Tier 6. So it got the Mutsu treatment. Do we get torpedoes??

No, you get guns that haven't been crippled.

• Cool 1

[--V--]
Members
499 posts
10,756 battles
51 minutes ago, Slimeball91 said:

To be fair to WG they probably have their ship development team(s) booked solid for at least 6 months, probably a lot longer than that.  I wouldn't expect WG to drop everything to make another WV.  Besides, if you know the refit WV is right around the corner why would you buy this one?

Absolutely correct on both counts.  I won't purchase a watered down WV.   If in 2 or 3 years they release a more desirable WV version, I'll evaluate then.

[WOLF9]
Members
1,110 posts

It would make the most sense to put the thing at tier 7, where there is no premium U.S. battleship, as opposed to tier 8, where there are already two of them. But since that would cause so much angst and existential e-peen envy, go ahead and put the 21kt manatee at tier 8 and let it get eaten alive.  I am sure the Richelieu captains look forward to running circles around it, pummeling it to death from beyond its range, assuming the Clevelands  don't get there first and IFHE it into extinction, or given the state of matchmaking, a Yamato just summarily executes it, most likely laughing hysterically the whole time with the unrestrained joy of finally being faster than someone on the map.

[SVF]
Members
959 posts
1,292 battles
2 hours ago, Doombeagle said:

or given the state of matchmaking, a Yamato just summarily executes it

A Yamato-class can already "summarily execute" T7 Colorados, so little to no difference then.