Jump to content
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

Turenne - Oh God, what a cow.

14 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

2,021
[ARGSY]
Members
6,367 posts
4,293 battles

I bought this last night (found I had enough XP on the Friant) because I wanted to know what I was missing by having skipped straight to the Bretagne in February.

I deliberately drove her with no upgrades, no camo, and a fresh zero-point captain.

What did I find?

Slow as hell to go anywhere.

Slow as hell on the rudder.

Slow as hell to turn the guns.

And as for the gunnery - if the Lyon is Le Shotgun Francais, it is at least a shotgun with an acceptably tight pattern and lots of projectiles in the charge. If the Lyon is an Olympic trap gun, then the Turenne is grand grandpere's rusty old piece that has sat in the back shed for ninety years, with ammo dating back to the early days of breechloading. I was missing with full eight-gun broadsides at ranges of less than six thousand metres.  Some of the salvoes I've fired make the Mikasa look like a sniper.

 

AND YET.

She is SO much fun in co-op. Yes, she's a cow - but even cows give milk and beef.

I admit I'm probably having fun because I don't really need to grind her so I don't have to care. I sort of pity anyone working their way up from the start, but the XP requirements are so minimal that even then it won't be hard to get out of her quickly. And the pathway to get there isn't exactly hard either. Anyone can get a Bougainville, you're not in the Jurien that long (one good Random game with flags on will see you through IIRC), and the Friant has such a modern layout for a Tier 3 cruiser that she's a blast to drive and grind out the Turenne unlock.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,463
[-K-]
Members
5,295 posts
9,131 battles

Like you, I ended up starting the French BB line up a few ships due to being able to unlock at Normandie.  Was wondering what I had missed in the lower tiers as well until I bought Turenne for one of the Ship Tour challenges.

Like most dreadnoughts, she is slow like a brick and has the accuracy of a sawed off shotgun, even at point blank ranges.  I really wanted to be open-minded about her, but RNG didn't seem to favor me too well in her (for the whole 3 matches I had to play for the event), and I was constantly straddling targets at sub-10km.  Didn't enjoy her much, and wasn't exactly sad to see her relegated back to her permanent moor in port afterwards.

All in all, if given the choice, I'd much rather drive South Carolina or Nassau in the T3 BB bracket.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,021
[ARGSY]
Members
6,367 posts
4,293 battles

I thought it was five battles we had to play, but whatever. I don't remember seeing the Turenne in that event - it must have been while I was on holiday and away from the internet - but it makes her an interesting choice, because the very first ship in the tour was the Friant, and if you drove that one in Randoms at all well you would easily have had the XP for the Turenne.

I got her for ships and giggles, and she won't be hanging around when I've finished the grind. Nor will the Courbet, in all probability. As soon as I've finished them both, I'm buying the Friant back and going up the French cruiser line, at least as high as Tier 5.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,463
[-K-]
Members
5,295 posts
9,131 battles
9 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I thought it was five battles we had to play, but whatever. I don't remember seeing the Turenne in that event - it must have been while I was on holiday and away from the internet - but it makes her an interesting choice, because the very first ship in the tour was the Friant, and if you drove that one in Randoms at all well you would easily have had the XP for the Turenne.

I got her for ships and giggles, and she won't be hanging around when I've finished the grind. Nor will the Courbet, in all probability. As soon as I've finished them both, I'm buying the Friant back and going up the French cruiser line, at least as high as Tier 5.

No, you're right.  It was five battles (sorry, still early morning here).  But Turenne was definitely one of the ships of the event.  I watched for them all, and only missed the one for Aoba.

As for the French cruiser line, it's a pretty solid line overall.  Not sure how you feel about high tiers, but the line really starts to shine at T8 with Charles Martel, all the way up through T10.  Emile Bertin at T5 is an excellent ship as well, despite the nerfs they gave her a little while back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,021
[ARGSY]
Members
6,367 posts
4,293 battles
1 hour ago, Ace_04 said:

Not sure how you feel about high tiers

Om nom nom credits, that's how I feel.  :Smile_veryhappy: (At least with my Neptune I know I'll never get uptiered more than +1).

My silver stocks are still screaming in pain, and the only reason I was in any hurry to unlock the Baltimore is because I'd already got permacamo for her out of the US arc. Yes, she looks like a Russian art-deco homage to US patriotic symbolism, but at least she's 10% less brutal on the wallet and I have plenty of non-draconic credit-boost and cost-cutting flags to help turn defeats into minor profits instead of harsh losses.

So I will be taking my own sweet time getting anything else at high tiers for now. As it stands, my two most likely acquisitions at Tier VIII in future are Monarch (already got Congratulatory permacamo for her, to cut battle costs) and Cossack (premium ship with permacamo baked in). How quickly I get there depends on how efficiently I polish off the RN missions in coming weeks and leave myself with free nights to derp at low tier and play the Friant and Duguay-Trouin to their conclusions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,021
[ARGSY]
Members
6,367 posts
4,293 battles
1 hour ago, Hangoverhomey said:

I actually do quite well in it.

I'm sure you do. Turenne, for me, is a fun ship to derp around in in PvE battles when I've got the hardcore stuff (RN arc requirements) out of the way and need to chill, but she's not a memorable ship. I'm sure if I took the time to put a good captain in her etc. I could do great things, but the priority is so low it's not even funny.

I did, however, think she deserved to be given her chance even though I'd already won Bretagne in pre-release and didn't need to sail her at all. It needs patience and a sense of not-serious, IMO, but in the end she's not an unbearable ship the way I found the Kolberg to be. People just need to go into her with the right (or without the wrong) expectations. And yes, I will probably also try the Kawachi soon.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,509 posts
7,515 battles
4 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I'm sure you do. Turenne, for me, is a fun ship to derp around in in PvE battles when I've got the hardcore stuff (RN arc requirements) out of the way and need to chill, but she's not a memorable ship. I'm sure if I took the time to put a good captain in her etc. I could do great things, but the priority is so low it's not even funny.

I did, however, think she deserved to be given her chance even though I'd already won Bretagne in pre-release and didn't need to sail her at all. It needs patience and a sense of not-serious, IMO, but in the end she's not an unbearable ship the way I found the Kolberg to be. People just need to go into her with the right (or without the wrong) expectations. And yes, I will probably also try the Kawachi soon.

Unfortunately for me, the only BB I cannot make work at tier 3 is the kawachi.  No matter what I do I cannot get those guns to work for me. :cap_rambo:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,021
[ARGSY]
Members
6,367 posts
4,293 battles
17 minutes ago, Hangoverhomey said:

Unfortunately for me, the only BB I cannot make work at tier 3 is the kawachi.  No matter what I do I cannot get those guns to work for me. :cap_rambo:

Do you have the Mikasa? I can get the Mikasa's main guns to work for me, but it requires getting in very close in battleship terms, and if you wind up in the same general space as an enemy dreadnought 1-on-1 you are royally screwed unless they are already mortally wounded.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
432
[WOLF9]
Members
3,256 posts

  Turenne was definitely a smelly one, but Courbet is a lot better! 

  Just finished grinding it tonight, and set up my Bretagne.   First match in that, I got 3 kills and 100 secondary hits- inc it's first secondary kill.   I'm liking Bretagne so far!

 Like you guys, I started the Frenchie line at tier 7, because it was the first mission I completed. (Got Bretagne second, and Normandie after that)  Then decided to play my way through the lower tiers just for giggles.  So far, all but Turrenne have been solid performers!

  My choice for tier 3 BB fun is So-Cal.  LOVE those 12" guns!!  The slow assed speed? Not so much- but at least the maps are small.  Nassau is hillarious- those secondaries just eat things.  Main battery has a hard time hitting the side of a barn from inside- cuz German- but what's not to like about a nasty brawler??

  At least Turrenne doesn't stink as bad as Kawachi, or that British abomination.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,021
[ARGSY]
Members
6,367 posts
4,293 battles
7 hours ago, Fletcher7_1944 said:

At least Turrenne doesn't stink as bad as Kawachi, or that British abomination.

LOL, Bellerophon was my first BB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20
[TACG]
[TACG]
Alpha Tester
190 posts
2,330 battles

I found the Turrnne kind of fun in random. I mean she is a tier 3 after all. Atleast she's slightly faster than SC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,021
[ARGSY]
Members
6,367 posts
4,293 battles
On 10/18/2018 at 7:27 PM, Starfleet1701 said:

I found the Turrnne kind of fun in random. I mean she is a tier 3 after all. Atleast she's slightly faster than SC.

Oh she's fun. She's just fun in an evil "I am going to derp-charge at an escargot's pace because I don't give a damn what happens to this ship or any of her crew" way. The job of a Frenchman in 1914 is to die bravely for la Patrie, and I'm going to do everything in my power to make sure this comes about. :cap_haloween:

The odd (or maybe not-so-odd) thing is, in co-op it more often than not gets me through and wins games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
22 posts
4,844 battles
On 10/1/2018 at 6:13 AM, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I bought this last night (found I had enough XP on the Friant) because I wanted to know what I was missing by having skipped straight to the Bretagne in February.

I deliberately drove her with no upgrades, no camo, and a fresh zero-point captain.

What did I find?

Slow as hell to go anywhere.

Slow as hell on the rudder.

Slow as hell to turn the guns.

And as for the gunnery - if the Lyon is Le Shotgun Francais, it is at least a shotgun with an acceptably tight pattern and lots of projectiles in the charge. If the Lyon is an Olympic trap gun, then the Turenne is grand grandpere's rusty old piece that has sat in the back shed for ninety years, with ammo dating back to the early days of breechloading. I was missing with full eight-gun broadsides at ranges of less than six thousand metres.  Some of the salvoes I've fired make the Mikasa look like a sniper.

 

AND YET.

She is SO much fun in co-op. Yes, she's a cow - but even cows give milk and beef.

I admit I'm probably having fun because I don't really need to grind her so I don't have to care. I sort of pity anyone working their way up from the start, but the XP requirements are so minimal that even then it won't be hard to get out of her quickly. And the pathway to get there isn't exactly hard either. Anyone can get a Bougainville, you're not in the Jurien that long (one good Random game with flags on will see you through IIRC), and the Friant has such a modern layout for a Tier 3 cruiser that she's a blast to drive and grind out the Turenne unlock.

I got MIKASA back and i love it, it moves so quickly, basically its a slow Cruiser with guns, the secondaries are awesome and on the TURENNE, pretty much traded up ASAP.  its not the Kawachi.   its not the tier 3 german one, i forgot's name. 

c1fb44d58ca23f4b4c0a34137b9f536f84068b9c.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×