Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
LancasterOne

HMS Hood Last Conquest paint scheme historically accurate?

10 comments in this topic

[BLAZE]
Beta Testers
122 posts
3,618 battles

The HMS Hood is my favourite ship so I've started doing a bit of researching. Now I don't mean to sound pedantic but The Last Conquest paint scheme sold by WarGaming claims that it is the paint scheme worn by HMS Hood on her final voyage. 

image.thumb.png.80592d856d5a8fe4977ddfafd01a2563.png

People in the model building community have done extensive research into what HMS Hood wore during various periods of her life and they've come to the conclusion that the final paint scheme was Pattern AP507B with a primary colour of Home Fleet or Admiralty Dark Grey.  http://www.hmshood.com/hoodtoday/models/tips/hoodpaint.htm

image.thumb.png.aa1b9f5a7a2388effbee147f7ea3d8be.png

Now fair's fair, the researchers did say a lot of the colour film back then were pretty pissy poor so colour accuracy may be off but any sauce that support the current paint scheme for HMS Hood?

Edited by LancasterOne

Modder
1,092 posts

No the Last Conquest skin for Hood is not historically accurate in the slightest. The closest she ever got to that colour was between 1939 and early 1941 when she carried an overall 507A paint scheme which looked like this;

nuDXqeZ.png

When she engaged the Bismarck at the Battle of the Denmark Strait she had been repainted in an overall 507B paint scheme which looked like this;

HLa0qrU.png

Edited by zFireWyvern
  • Cool 1

[BLAZE]
Beta Testers
122 posts
3,618 battles
1 hour ago, zFireWyvern said:

No the Last Conquest skin for Hood is not historically accurate in the slightest. The closest she ever got to that colour was between 1939 and early 1941 when she carried an overall 507A paint scheme which looked like this;

nuDXqeZ.png

When she engaged the Bismarck at the Battle of the Denmark Strait she had been repainted in an overall 507B paint scheme which looked like this;

HLa0qrU.png

The 507A scheme actually looks BRILLIANT!
Imagine that. A BLACK battleship. That would be so totally radical. 

[DAKI]
[DAKI]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
12,538 posts
4,419 battles
1 hour ago, LancasterOne said:

No need to imagine. I can confirm that a black Dunkerque is totally radical hon hon hon.

It looks more menacing than it actually is.:Smile_teethhappy:

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,412 posts
9,589 battles

The Musashi was painted dull black in it's final voyage since they were expecting a night battle at Leyte Gulf.

Silly Aircraft Carriers...

[NBGC]
Members
3,043 posts
10,248 battles

The so-called "Last Conquest" skin that WG put out there is basically the Arizona's paint scheme applied to the Hood. I don't know if they really were that stupid, or if they were doing it on purpose, but labeling that...piece of utter dreck as "historically accurate" amounts to pissing on our heads and telling us it's raining.

[GRRR]
[GRRR]
Members
601 posts
21,252 battles

Don't have a historical pic handy but one of the nicknames for BB-62 USS New Jersey was the "Black Dragon", referring to a paint scheme she wore in 44-45.

images.jpg

[GRRR]
[GRRR]
Members
601 posts
21,252 battles

After a little more reading, turns out BB-62 actually wore a dark blue camo for a while which the vets said made her very hard to see at night.

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,451 posts
8,107 battles

The overall ship does appear to be the dark grey the admiralty used, or at least the one used before her time in the Mediterranean and was changed to a lighter grey, as they have the same blueish look as there was some blue added to it at one point. Similar to colour photo's I've seen. As to the turrets, aside from mistaken colours, I believe someone found that they were painted as such basically in a one off "parade look" at some event in her life. But yeah, not as she looked that day. 

Then again, best not to get me started on Wargaming's research or lack there of and how it pertains to visuals and in some ways game balance, as well as them doing what they want. Cause the list of issues I have, especially when they want to tout this rework with looks and all, is pretty damned long. The BF-109T is a Bf-109E that was given naval equipment and a slightly extended wing to aid takeoffs, maid with the same armament, and around the same times, as the in game tier 6 A6M2 zero, facing off against late war planes with 20 mm cannons. Or at least, based on the damage and ammo shift more to the 20 mm, particular the tier 9 F4U-4 and the former 10 F8F Bearcat yet the model of both F4U's and the former Bearcat model were the MG variants. Get in close, either in port or the chase view similar to the "new" look in the revamp, and you can see the 6 gun ports on the F4U's, the 20 mm armed Corsair had a very distinct extension on the wings covering the barrels which stuck out further, same as they did on spitfires, however they were staggered in which the inner 20 mm's barrel stuck further out, something the F8F lacked as both barrels extended the same length. And that's only a couple of the issues I got.

Modder
1,092 posts
6 hours ago, LancasterOne said:

The 507A scheme actually looks BRILLIANT!

It's more of a dark purple/blue than black but I know what you mean. I still find her light grey 507C scheme the most visually appealing.

Spoiler

qTQeYP0.png

5 hours ago, Super_Dreadnought said:

No need to imagine. I can confirm that a black Dunkerque is totally radical hon hon hon.

It looks more menacing than it actually is.:Smile_teethhappy:

Dunkerque's historical dark grey looks pretty amazing too and I think she performs pretty well, despite what a lot of people say about her :Smile-_tongue:

Spoiler

smjuzdT.png

Sign in to follow this