Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
HazardDrake

UK DDs are painful without wide spreads

19 comments in this topic

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
5,850 posts
9,604 battles

Well I got the Acasta in a crate and I am finding that the crate is more valuable than the torpedoes. Not because of range, speed, or damage, but because the only launch options are narrow spread and single fire

It has pretty much confirmed my observation fighting the current batch of UK DDs at high tier. If you get them in a knife fight, their torpedoes are useless. Narrow spreads are just gonna miss and firing a "wide spread" with single launch takes far too long and they lose far too much health in the time it takes them to launch. I'm just slaughtering Darings and such while not taking any return fire from them for quite awhile, only to see a laughably bad "spread" that I have no trouble dodging even in my Gumo or Khab.

Spoiler

UK DD when they try using torpedoes in a DD knife fight. They did 4k damage to me.

wEUYg6R.jpg

It's just not possible to fire an effective wide spread with these ships on short notice. If you are unspotted, then yea you can launch a decent spread of whatever you want. The most troublesome UK DD players I find are ones that pretty much forget they have torpedoes when fighting another DD and rely purely on guns.

This could be an interesting way to balance them. Good guns (Actually pretty trash IMHO, but I'm not gonna argue that for the moment.) with torpedoes that, for practical purposes, can't be used in cap contesting knife fights.

Thoughts?

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

Members
2,487 posts
2,344 battles

Though I haven't tried it yet I figured you'd break contact with smoke, fire your torpedoes and if enemy support isn't around maybe rush out to knife fight? Sounds very risky though. Especially when facing German hydro or Pan Asian radar. 

[ZR]
Members
961 posts
11,320 battles

To be honest you are better off learning how to torp correctly at close range with narrow spread in close fights.  

Otherwise decent players are going to laugh off your widespread torp attempt as it is much easier to dodge.

• Cool 1

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
5,850 posts
9,604 battles
33 minutes ago, MountainManxDan said:

To be honest you are better off learning how to torp correctly at close range with narrow spread in close fights.  

How often does that actually happen though? Nobody in a DD lets someone close to those ranges. It's usually ambushing a cruiser or BB around an island.

36 minutes ago, MountainManxDan said:

Otherwise decent players are going to laugh off your widespread torp attempt as it is much easier to dodge.

Pretty much.

45 minutes ago, Yoshiblue said:

Though I haven't tried it yet I figured you'd break contact with smoke, fire your torpedoes and if enemy support isn't around maybe rush out to knife fight? Sounds very risky though. Especially when facing German hydro or Pan Asian radar. 

I could see doing something like that with a cruiser or BB, but a DD I don't see it being effective.

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,478 posts
8,157 battles

Define close range knife fights because other than ships I'm nailing at range even with the heap that is Acasta, I've killed plenty of DD's at 4km and less with single shot torps while maneuvering because I could not get the guns to lock and fire with Acasta and Gallant. Same as any other torpedo shot, only going to hit if you actually predict what the enemy will do or make him do what you want him to do. 

Besides, right now anyone with Daring is a Dev, ST, or CC - and a good chance that while the ST players are required to test it, some may not be DD players, or used to the type and all and therefore make it look bad. 

[DENY]
Members
354 posts
4,787 battles

If you get that close just use the Daka Daka , you will loose time by switching to Torpedo and die anyway , single torpedo is amazing , you just doing it wrong , 

Alpha Tester
588 posts
4,261 battles

Just gun people down and save torps for dealing with Battleships.

UK DDs have the drag car acceleration of the CLs, and hydro, and short CD smoke, and 360 degree turrets. You should not be losing any knife fights. You can just play with your speed throttling between 1/4 and 1/2 or drop smoke, and then accelerate to evade torps when your enemy launches them. With your acceleration you shouldn't be getting hit.

[R-R-R]
Members
975 posts
6,663 battles

I don't understand why you need wide spread in DD knife fights.

Edited by Exciton8964

[KSD]
Beta Testers
11 posts
6,244 battles

I don't understand why anybody even uses wide spread... at all... ever

Members
744 posts

it sounds to me like the OP is trying to use some reverse phycology, he has probably been taken out by plenty of narrow spread and custom spreads from single launches, but by saying he hasn't and proposing "wide spread" he avoids much of the get good comments while proposing the ludicrous "wide spread" as a replacement for single launch. :Smile_sceptic:

Edited by b101uk

[ARGSY]
Members
6,458 posts
4,321 battles

The developers originally gave all the British tech-tree destroyers wide spread plus single (the single fire is THE British trademark with torpedoes, long established on the cruisers), and the WG-CC's were so bitter about it and united in their condemnation that they were forced to change it back.

It does make me wonder what the Vampire would be like with single/narrow (she currently shoots single/wide); however, she only has one triple launcher and it's probably not worth the trouble to change it.

Beta Testers
1,332 posts
3,591 battles

They are defensive destroyers so they are not about Knife fights. They are about assisting in capping and then getting the heck out of dodge after firing their torpedos and smoke. I think they should have the option to choose retreating smoke like Perth has to help them get away from cap. They could also increase the torp range to 8km on the lower tier DD’s that don’t have the option for concleament module. My impression is that the torpedos need some buffs even if it’s only in the range or speed department. Slapping on repair party might help them out a bit too.

[RKN]
Beta Testers
1,017 posts
9,113 battles
6 hours ago, Hanger_18 said:

Who uses wide spread :fish_nerv:

5 hours ago, Exciton8964 said:

I don't understand why you need wide spread in DD knife fights.

My sentiments exactly. I haven't used wide spread since closed beta. At close range against destroyers there is still to large of a gap between torps that a reasonably agile DD can’t get through. Hell, anyone who’s skilled with DDs knows the best way to knife fight another one is to point straight at them or angle away until they’ve launched their torpedoes.

Edited by SavageTactical

Members
2,487 posts
2,344 battles

I can see crawling smoke being used/sold in a premium version of a tech tree DD. Unless Haida is enough for them. 

8 hours ago, HazardDrake said:

mething like that with a cruiser or BB, but a DD I don't see it being effective.

Well in true puka puka fashion, i'll let you know how that works out after the five years it takes me to get to the T-X DD.

[NUWES]
Members
1,677 posts
5,620 battles

I guess this is a "to each his own." I can't remember the last time I've ever seen an effective wide spread. I've used it and seen it used as a scare tactic/area denial weapon against poor players but good ones just sail right through even if you get lucky with a single hit. I always considered the UK single-fire torpedo option to be more useful and powerful than the wide spread (or even narrow spread) although that experience is mostly from their cruisers. I haven't tried to use any of the DDs except Gallant yet though. 

Sign in to follow this