Chickentooth556

issues running wow on new laptop

5 comments in this topic

Members
3 posts
545 battles

Long story short, i have an asus ROG that ive had for a few years, GL552vw model series, specs below:

6th gen i7 6700hq 2.6ghz

ddr4 16g 2133 mhz

Nvidia gtx 960m

Running on high graphics the game runs fine, never an issue.

Received a newer rog as a gift, a GU501g specs below:

8th gen i7 8750h 2.2 ghz

ddr4 16g 1334 mhz

nividia gtx 1060

With the new laptop i cant get warships to run smoothly even on medium settings, im not too familiar with specs regarding the memory and video cards and could use some advice. Ive set the nvidia control panel to always use its processor for all applications and set the settings for performance however the game still runs laggy is hard to play.

[S0L0]
Beta Testers
495 posts
3,653 battles

Recommend verify you have DirectX installed and latest NVIDEA drivers.  Most 1060 laptops are set up for dual graphics, where the on board intel graphic processor handle most non-gaming loads.  You can turn this off in the bios or via NVIDEA control panel.  1060 should run max graphics no problem.  What are the specs of your display?  1080p/60hz?  4k?  

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,446 posts
11,741 battles

I have a 1060 3gb DDR 5 card on a desktop and run at max settings no proble. Doing 75fps.

Install direct x 11.

Members
3 posts
545 battles

Directx 12 is already installed, and ive previously already set up using the nvidia control panel to always use the nvidia card vice the onboard intel card. Stil having the same issue.

Members
3 posts
545 battles

So interesting, the problem seems isolated to world of warships. Loaded world of tanks just fine and had zero issues running on ultra. For whatever reason cant get warships to even run smooth on medium.  Checked graphics settings from old laptop to new laptop and the warships in game graphics settings are identical. Any ideas?

ALso noted old laptop runs 65 fps,

new laptop runs wow at 20fps.

***was able to confirm using nvidia notification in corner of the screen that when i run wow, it is not using the nvidia card. tanks is using it. Global settings in nvidia control panel are to always use the nvidia processor, and even so is wow in individual settings, so im not sure why wow refuses to use the gtx and is using the intel integrated graphics. I uninstalled from my D drive and installed on same drive as OS but still same issue.

***figured it out, Needed to go into the game installation folder and run the .exe file from there, seems to recognize it now for nvidia and back up to a playable fps and settings. leaving up for any future people searching through forums.

Edited by Chickentooth556