Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
USSThuban

Non premium sister ships

15 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

0
[BUNNY]
[BUNNY]
Members
8 posts
3,528 battles

So I'm kinda curios to see how this ends up. 

But I was thinking about how some of the ships have their sisters in the game but you can only get them in the premium shop and while it's cool I think that people would probably find it cool if they made it so that ships with multiple sister ships that aren't already in the shop could be earned as like random mission rewards or maybe in the camouflaged tab for half of the price of the tech tree version, like if you could get a Raleigh camo for Omaha, or the WW1 variant of Großer Kurfürst as a camo for König (which is a thing, I've seen it in model shops like Hobbylink Japan all the time).

But yeah, what do you think about it? Would it be a good idea? Let me know if love to hear back from you guys!

Sincerely,

UssThuban, Scrublord

Edited by USSThuban
  • Bad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
788
[STW-M]
Members
2,101 posts
5,894 battles

I mean, it's important to note that some ship's b-hulls involve them changing into their sister ships.

For instance, the modeled Lexington is actually Saratoga, since Lady Lex was sunk before the 8'' guns were swapped out for the 5''/38s.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
0
[BUNNY]
Members
1 post
1,408 battles

i like that idea but what i also think is a cool idea is something like they have in War Thunder with the folders. i think they could add sister ships in there that you can unlock and there all different and there all minor differences. but yes i think that would be a cool idea instead of modelling and selling ships for $20 to $80 make it so you can change them with missions. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
86
[PT8TO]
[PT8TO]
Members
160 posts
12,566 battles

NoZoupforYou posed a video on this topic. But a camo really doesn't really capture the quirk or service history of a particular ship.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
0
[BUNNY]
[BUNNY]
Members
8 posts
3,528 battles
25 minutes ago, AbyssAngkor said:

NoZoupforYou posed a video on this topic. But a camo really doesn't really capture the quirk or service history of a particular ship.

 

It could though if they make it like the Freedom camo, the Sharks/Eagles camps, the Halloween camos and so on and so forth

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[LHG]
Members
1,659 posts
4,931 battles
18 minutes ago, Avenge_December_7 said:

I mean, it's important to note that some ship's b-hulls involve them changing into their sister ships.

For instance, the modeled Lexington is actually Saratoga, since Lady Lex was sunk before the 8'' guns were swapped out for the 5''/38s.

Close but not quite. 

Lady Lex lost her 8 inch guns in March 1942, however they were replaced by seven quad 28mm AA guns.  She also received 22 additional 20mm Oerlikens so she would have had a pretty powerful close in AA battery.  

Saratoga on the other hand had her 8 inch guns demounted in January of 1942 and had them replaced by the eight twin 5 inch/38 caliber guns seen in the game.  She also had her older twelve 5 inch/25 caliber DP guns removed and replaced by eight single 5 inch/38 mounts at the same time.  She shipped some additional quad 28mm AA mounts and 32 20mm Oerlikens at this time as well..

I think the significant difference in these refits had to do with expediency.  The Saratoga had been torpedoed on her way to Pearl in late 1941 and was there for repairs so she wasn't going anywhere for a while.  That gave the yard more time to do a more extensive rearmament.  Lexington was one of a handful of operational carriers in the Pacific and the yards had to turn her around and get her back in action with the minimum amount of delay so they didn't have the time to give her the same refit Saratoga was receiving. 

Ok the point is here that neither vessel retained their 8 inch guns after the early months of 1942 and the Lexington had lost her's prior to Coral Sea. 

I've always thought it might be fun to take one of these carriers with their 8 inch gun fits and put one into the game. It would badly reduce their AA firepower the it might come as an unpleasant surprise for a DD or Cruiser player trying to track her down especially if you could give her control over them like a normal surface ship would possess. 

Really when you think about it, way carriers are incorporated into the game is a lot more like pre-WW II thinking about carriers than what actually happened.  Ships like the Lexington, Saratoga, Amagi and Kaga all carried heavy cruiser firepower and several hybrid cruiser/carrier designs with actual but truncated flight decks and 8 or so 8 inch guns were designed and one was almost built by the US.  The idea was that carriers would be operating in fairly close support to the battle fleet where they could come into contact with enemy destroyers and cruisers.  The guns were incorporated to give the carriers the ability to fight these off if they had to. 

That's actually pretty similar to what happens in WOWS, except most of the carriers in the game were built with the thought of long range standoff airstrikes rather than dealing with surface warships in surface engagements so they end up being sitting ducks when discovered by enemy ships. 

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
358
[CUTER]
[CUTER]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,621 posts
8,898 battles

people have asked for something like this and WG said yes at first to allow people to use the names of sisters ships in game but then said no and stated not everyone is going to know all 175 names of the fletchers and didnt want people to get confused about what class a certain ship is.

 

But I would like to see something like camos that change ships names etc added. WG has the ability to have camos change the ships models. 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
124
[WOSV]
Members
333 posts
2,236 battles

I think being able to name your ship to something other ships of the line had would be neat. I'd love to have my "Atlanta" be named "San Diego" (2nd most decorated US ship of the war, btw, and my favorite City), or "Essex" to "Hancock" (my grandpa's ship during Vietnam). Maybe a way to see the class name as well as the sister name in-battle? It might be cluttered, but it could work if used right?

And yes I'd name my Fletcher "Johnston" if I ever grind to it.

OR: the ship's premium camouflage would have the ability to be of any ship of that line, and therefore give the ship an "alt-name", assuming she had sisters (meaning one-off ship lines would be exempt, like Hood for instance). Of course there would be redundancies, like Yamato-Musashi, Iowa-Missouri, Colorado-West Virginia, and the SoDaks, since they're already in the game. (though I realize the problem with Essex, as there was a "Lexington" in that line. IDK, I'm sure if they wanted to WG could figure something out. There could be an option for people to see the alt-name or to not see it, if it becomes confusing.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
0
[BUNNY]
[BUNNY]
Members
8 posts
3,528 battles
12 hours ago, Halonut24 said:

I think being able to name your ship to something other ships of the line had would be neat. I'd love to have my "Atlanta" be named "San Diego" (2nd most decorated US ship of the war, btw, and my favorite City), or "Essex" to "Hancock" (my grandpa's ship during Vietnam). Maybe a way to see the class name as well as the sister name in-battle? It might be cluttered, but it could work if used right?

And yes I'd name my Fletcher "Johnston" if I ever grind to it.

OR: the ship's premium camouflage would have the ability to be of any ship of that line, and therefore give the ship an "alt-name", assuming she had sisters (meaning one-off ship lines would be exempt, like Hood for instance). Of course there would be redundancies, like Yamato-Musashi, Iowa-Missouri, Colorado-West Virginia, and the SoDaks, since they're already in the game. (though I realize the problem with Essex, as there was a "Lexington" in that line. IDK, I'm sure if they wanted to WG could figure something out. There could be an option for people to see the alt-name or to not see it, if it becomes confusing.

That would be awesome. Though isn't hood a sister in the Renown class Battlecruiser or is she really her own thing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
388
[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,423 posts
3,367 battles

Honestly this is all just making me think again that it would be cool to have the current Lexington renamed "Saratoga" and a premium Lexington with 8" secondary guns added in after the CV rework.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
124
[WOSV]
Members
333 posts
2,236 battles
12 hours ago, USSThuban said:

That would be awesome. Though isn't hood a sister in the Renown class Battlecruiser or is she really her own thing?

To my knowledge she's her own entity. She's closely related to Renown though, but not quite a sister. Cousin is probably more accurate. Main difference is Renown had one less Turret than Hood.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,231
[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,417 posts
9,606 battles

It's an idea not unlike the Halloween or HSF camo. Now if they are to become PREMIUM captain swappable... I'd say no. That would need to be balanced, and the economics of having 'Captain Swappable' makes it a given for all T10 and T8 ships. >> >> And the Lexington had the 8" guns removed before Coral Sea, and replaced with a few Chicago Piano's.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41
[3COWS]
Members
102 posts
6,583 battles

I want to see for the USN line

U.S.S. Oklahoma (BB-37) 

Which is a Nevada class WW1 Battle ship,

 

The Forward facing battery on Turret 1 has 3x barrels where Turret 2 only has 2x barrels  14inch (356mm for metric) 

According to wiki it had torpedo tubes also >.<

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
0
[BUNNY]
[BUNNY]
Members
8 posts
3,528 battles
On 10/4/2018 at 3:14 PM, Deus_Drone said:

I want to see for the USN line

U.S.S. Oklahoma (BB-37) 

Which is a Nevada class WW1 Battle ship,

 

The Forward facing battery on Turret 1 has 3x barrels where Turret 2 only has 2x barrels  14inch (356mm for metric) 

According to wiki it had torpedo tubes also >.<

 

 

I'd really like to see Oklahoma in the game too, that'd be cool

And she also has an Azur Lane counterpart and that'd be fun too XD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×