You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
LancasterOne

The Art of War (Terrain) and Map Strategies

10 comments in this topic

[BLAZE]
Beta Testers
122 posts
3,601 battles

I've been playing WoWs since closed beta, took a hiatus a while back, coming back I've noticed the level of.... strategic planning on the player's part has plummeted drastically compared to the earlier days so let's talk strategies today. 

https://suntzusaid.com/book/10

quote-know-thy-self-know-thy-enemy-a-thousand-battles-a-thousand-victories-sun-tzu-188556.jpg?fit=750%2C353&ssl=1

Sun Tzu said: We may distinguish six kinds of terrain, to wit:

(1) Accessible ground;  "plentifully provided with roads and means of communications."

(2) entangling ground;  "Net-like country, venturing into which you become entangled."

(3) temporizing ground; Ground which allows you to "stave off" or "delay."

(4) narrow passes;

(5) precipitous heights;

(6) positions at a great distance from the enemy. 

Now let's see how we can apply that principle to war.

ex2.jpg

Fresh from battle. Everything that could go wrong, went wrong. First of all, look at that group of ships squeezing through the narrow pass after capturing C.
Sun Tzu said. "With regard to NARROW PASSES, if you can occupy them first, let them be strongly garrisoned and await the advent of the enemy." 
However, instead of holding the point, the team kept charging through a narrow pass, they gave the initiative to the enemy to fire at the group by holding them down at a chokepoint. From the north two ships, from the B area and with long distance fire support coming from A. All of the greens died within 2 minutes of squeezing through that narrow pass.

A lot of the terms are very self-explanatory but the point with entangling ground should be emphasized. A lot of the maps in WoWs is filled with entangling ground. 
Entangling ground according to Sun Tzu is "Ground which can be abandoned but is hard to re-occupy is called ENTANGLING." 
Look at the red circle on the left at A and B. That island cluster formed a natural barrier for the enemy to defend since it limits the angle of approach the enemy can take to retake the map control. 
Therefore once the cap is lost, trying to retake those caps will often come at a heavy lost of ships and HP.
According to Sun Tzu, once a defensive position is taken up, through frontal attacks it often take a 3:1 attacker: defender manpower ratio to retake ground that is lost. Often times it's simply not worth it to force your way in. Instead, you should wait for the enemy to make a mistake and force their way out.

A problem with the game is the players live by the doctrine of individualism. Very Randian and Randian acts lose game. 

Image result for problem with individualism

Think Sun Tzu, not Ayn Rand. Know the terrain and classify them, think why you're heading to a position and if you are using your ship to its strength. The victory for the collective always takes precedence over the individual. 

Edited by LancasterOne
  • Cool 2

[WOLF3]
Members
6,392 posts
2,380 battles

Very interesting observations!  I wonder if I still have my Art of War.

@neptunes_wrath where's your upbote?

Members
1,311 posts
501 battles
13 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

Very interesting observations!  I wonder if I still have my Art of War.

@neptunes_wrath where's your upbote?

I put it there.... I can't REP vote  I ran out

Edited by neptunes_wrath

Members
834 posts
10 battles

I always say that on this map you know who the scrublords are in the game, they will dive for C EVERY time. Especially DD's. You can't spot for your team, you can't support them, and if it is contested you are trapped in an area with little room to maneuver. Go A and B, ignore C. Let the other team waste resources on C and have a numerical advantage against the enemy for the first third to half of the game. 

[BLAZE]
Beta Testers
122 posts
3,601 battles
8 minutes ago, UssIowaSailor said:

I always say that on this map you know who the scrublords are in the game, they will dive for C EVERY time. Especially DD's. You can't spot for your team, you can't support them, and if it is contested you are trapped in an area with little room to maneuver. Go A and B, ignore C. Let the other team waste resources on C and have a numerical advantage against the enemy for the first third to half of the game. 

A really depends. Since A is classified as an entangling ground, if two equal force comes head to head at A, it will turn into basically jungle warfare. If you want A as a strategic position then you should make sure you are the one setting the trap, not the one springing the enemies. 

C is more isolated, once it's taken it can be easily defended but also it is difficult to attack out of. Think of the islands as a great wall. Walls can work for and against you.

Members
834 posts
10 battles
1 minute ago, LancasterOne said:

A really depends. Since A is classified as an entangling ground, if two equal force comes head to head at A, it will turn into basically jungle warfare. If you want A as a strategic position then you should make sure you are the one setting the trap, not the one springing the enemies. 

C is more isolated, once it's taken it can be easily defended but also it is difficult to attack out of. Think of the islands as a great wall. Walls can work for and against you.

I am a little conservative when it comes to strategy, I have seen hundreds of DD's push in there and die in the first three minutes of the game. For me, the risk required is not worth the reward so early in the game. Why take a cap point that you will have to leave undefended in order to help your team. I think it is players being selfish and wanting the individual points for capping. Ignore C altogether. If you can control A and B then you can play defensively. Make the enemy force the issue and make them pay for it. 

[BLAZE]
Beta Testers
122 posts
3,601 battles
1 minute ago, UssIowaSailor said:

I am a little conservative when it comes to strategy, I have seen hundreds of DD's push in there and die in the first three minutes of the game. For me, the risk required is not worth the reward so early in the game. Why take a cap point that you will have to leave undefended in order to help your team. I think it is players being selfish and wanting the individual points for capping. Ignore C altogether. If you can control A and B then you can play defensively. Make the enemy force the issue and make them pay for it. 

The value of C I think mainly lies in the easy +3pts/sec to the team. To the one who capped it, it really doesn't give out that much reward unless no one else is doing it. I've seen far too many people try to force their way into A and the area turning into a killbox. That's the nature of entangling ground. Extremely high risk for the attackers.