You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
212thAttackBattalion

WG dropping subtle hints in game- PSA for BBs

24 comments in this topic

[HINON]
Members
2,273 posts
6,366 battles

I've been getting the revamped North Map a lot lately and I noticed a very funny detail that WG has put in to give some lost BB's some advice.... STAY OFF THE 9-10 LINE FOR THE LOVE OF POSEIDON!!!

vUyfKds.jpg

1YYxWDc.jpg

this has been a PSA/easter egg from WarGaming.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[RKN]
Beta Testers
1,017 posts
9,102 battles

I like this new map, but I really liked the old north with four spawns. I get tired of them constantly changing all the maps.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[DUDE_]
Members
2,604 posts
12,503 battles

I saw that in one of my games. cracked up. very cool WG!

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,725 posts
9,112 battles

When I end up on the 9/10, 1/2, A/B, or I/J lines it is from running & gunning against multiple evil bad guys trying to put holes in my ship.

tumblr_osrbzuaS6a1s3olk1o1_400.gif

• Cool 1

Members
367 posts
5,200 battles
1 hour ago, SavageTactical said:

I like this new map, but I really liked the old north with four spawns. I get tired of them constantly changing all the maps.

Given no new maps are even on the horizon at the moment, I'm fine with them updating and improving the ones we have.

• Cool 2

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,473 posts
8,148 battles

They say that, but I've blown through there in a fast BB, in 2 cases also through the cruisers that thought "I'mma flank this way" while their team got stacked up/hid there. 

Then again chilling there for 5-10 minutes like most teams (not even BB's, just bloody teams)..... I can see where they have a point. 

[BLAZE]
Beta Testers
122 posts
3,621 battles

The problem being a lot of the caps are situated right in those island clusters. A lot of times people just sit right outside waiting for someone to go in because of the DD torpedo spam in the current meta. 
WarGaming only have themselves to blame for creating a passive gameplay meta. 

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

Members
1,156 posts
3,146 battles

No. That sign can't tell me what to do. I'm taking my Yamato straight through there as soon as the game starts. 

• Cool 1

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
2,063 posts
6 minutes ago, LancasterOne said:

The problem being a lot of the caps are situated right in those island clusters. A lot of times people just sit right outside waiting for someone to go in because of the DD torpedo spam in the current meta. 
WarGaming only have themselves to blame for creating a passive gameplay meta. :Smile_sceptic:

Only problem with Your Scenario  Is when  Ocean is the map they still Way in the back sniping  So much for your theory:Smile_facepalm:

• Bad 1

[BLAZE]
Beta Testers
122 posts
3,621 battles
6 minutes ago, shadowsrmine said:

Only problem with Your Scenario  Is when  Ocean is the map they still Way in the back sniping  So much for your theory:Smile_facepalm:

I actually did an analysis on it using game-theory about why that happens a while back. It's intrinsic to game-design and human psychology. 

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
2,063 posts
36 minutes ago, LancasterOne said:

I actually did an analysis on it using game-theory about why that happens a while back. It's intrinsic to game-design and human psychology. 

Actually the truth is they're  Afraid to take a chance or risk  No gain without risk No Risk without gain

• Bad 1

[BLAZE]
Beta Testers
122 posts
3,621 battles
1 minute ago, shadowsrmine said:

Actually the truth is they're  Afraid to take a chance or risk  No gain without risk No Risk without gain

That's how game theory comes into play. 
If the perceived risk is bigger than the potential gain, a rational person simply won't take the risk. 
A commenter actually added into the analysis by mentioning the example of the stag hunt. http://gametheory101.com/courses/game-theory-101/the-stag-hunt-and-pure-strategy-nash-equilibrium/
Things in life are rarely so simple as "he's simply a coward". 

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[WOLFB]
Members
1,742 posts
8,331 battles
1 hour ago, LancasterOne said:

WarGaming only have themselves to blame for creating a passive gameplay meta. 

It's not only WG fault.

WG didn't made any tutorial in game so the vast majority of the playerbase have no clue about what they are doing. But it's also because that majority of the playerbase don't want to improve. It's easy to blame DD torpedo "spam" when all your cruiser and DD are dying in front of you because they have no support from BB (in other word you). Best exemple to illustrate that : A week ago, I was in a game in my Musashi with only BB and 1 cruiser per side. Only me and 2 other BB pushed the cap and secured the win. The 3 of us topped the score. When I asked why the other BB didn't wanted to push they said "Kill the torps CA". The red team had a Buffalo. That alone show the stupidity of the playerbase or simply their lack of knowledge / interest of the game. And there are many other stories similar, mine is just one among other.

The fact that WG is forced to do something like this (putting a "No BB" board) show a lot about their playerbase. I've played  many different games this is the first time I see the developper putting this kind of subbtle hint for player. I could say the same about putting a cross on useless commander skill depending of the ship because if one takes Emergency take off as a CA or BB then he's dumb, but considering WG isn't the only game to do that I won't really talk about it too much. 

Edited by AlcatrazNC
  • Cool 2

[BLAZE]
Beta Testers
122 posts
3,621 battles
1 minute ago, AlcatrazNC said:

It's not only WG fault.

WG didn't made any tutorial in game so the vast majority of the playerbase have no clue about what they are doing. But it's also because that majority of the playerbase is don't want to improve. It's easy to blame DD torpedo "spam" when all your cruiser and DD are dying in front of you because they have no support from BB (in other word you). Best exemple to illustrate that : A week ago, I was in a game in my Musashi with only BB and 1 cruiser per side. Only me and 2 other BB pushed the cap and secured the win. The 3 of us topped the score. When I asked why they didn't wanted to push they said "Kill the torps CA". The red team had a Buffalo. That alone show the stupidity of the playerbase or simply their lack of knowledge / interest of the game. And there are many other stories similar, mine is just one among other.

The fact that WG is forced to do something like this (putting a "No BB" board) show a lot about their playerbase. I've played  many different games this is the first time I see the developper putting this kind of subbtle hint for player. I could say the same about putting a cross on useless commander skill depending of the ship because if one takes Emergency take off as a CA or BB then he's dumb, but considering WG isn't the only game to do that I won't really talk about it too much. 

BBs can't support you once you're in the cap circle, there are mountains that form a wall that blocks our shot angles. Once you get into those kinda caps, you're committed to a knife fight in a telephone booth. BBs will not sail into a cap where there are islands surrounding it when we have torps that go 67kts and DD stealth dropping. 
DDs aren't the problem, but the map design just facilitates that kinda play style. I play pretty aggressive with my Gneisenau, the secondaries just chew them up but I have to walk in knowing even if I full on torpedobeats I will still be taking 1 or 2 torp hits. Some maps don't even have much in the way of open-waters. 

This is what happens when we sail through tight channels. 

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
2,063 posts
19 minutes ago, LancasterOne said:

That's how game theory comes into play. 
If the perceived risk is bigger than the potential gain, a rational person simply won't take the risk. 
A commenter actually added into the analysis by mentioning the example of the stag hunt. http://gametheory101.com/courses/game-theory-101/the-stag-hunt-and-pure-strategy-nash-equilibrium/
Things in life are rarely so simple as "he's simply a coward". 

5 minutes ago, AlcatrazNC said:

It's not only WG fault.

WG didn't made any tutorial in game so the vast majority of the playerbase have no clue about what they are doing. But it's also because that majority of the playerbase don't want to improve. It's easy to blame DD torpedo "spam" when all your cruiser and DD are dying in front of you because they have no support from BB (in other word you). Best exemple to illustrate that : A week ago, I was in a game in my Musashi with only BB and 1 cruiser per side. Only me and 2 other BB pushed the cap and secured the win. The 3 of us topped the score. When I asked why the other BB didn't wanted to push they said "Kill the torps CA". The red team had a Buffalo. That alone show the stupidity of the playerbase or simply their lack of knowledge / interest of the game. And there are many other stories similar, mine is just one among other.

IE  Move up and support or be content  lose most of the time

• Bad 1

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
2,063 posts
19 minutes ago, LancasterOne said:

BBs can't support you once you're in the cap circle, there are mountains that form a wall that blocks our shot angles. Once you get into those kinda caps, you're committed to a knife fight in a telephone booth. BBs will not sail into a cap where there are islands surrounding it when we have torps that go 67kts and DD stealth dropping. 
DDs aren't the problem, but the map design just facilitates that kinda play style. I play pretty aggressive with my Gneisenau, the secondaries just chew them up but I have to walk in knowing even if I full on torpedobeats I will still be taking 1 or 2 torp hits. Some maps don't even have much in the way of open-waters. 

The One  problem with your premise is that most of the time the Opposing  BB's  Aren't afraid to take that risk so the opposing team  wins and  the team loses Unless the teams are made up of the same kind of players both being unwilling to take a risk in which what happens is a Draw

Edited by shadowsrmine
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 1

[BLAZE]
Beta Testers
122 posts
3,621 battles
1 minute ago, shadowsrmine said:

The One  problem with your premise is that most of the time the Opposing  BB's  Aren't afraid to take that risk so the opposing team  wins and  the team loses Unless the teams are made up of the same kind of players both being unwilling to take a risk in which what happens is a Draw

so you're assuming your experience is special and you always get the cowardly BBs because MM is doing it to spite you?

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[WOLFB]
Members
1,742 posts
8,331 battles
8 minutes ago, LancasterOne said:

Going into a cap with your friendly DD isn't what I call support him. In fact you're pain for the DD since he can't cap it quickly. 

A BB in this game becomes a good support when he's within 10-12km of a friendly ship. By it's presence alone, it will forces player to think twice before going close to it and radar. How many radar ship turned away when a BB is spotted 12km of him. Yes that BB will most likely become the center of attention and get shot at but then it's a question of positionning, target selection and how to use your consummable.

But I agree that some map design isn't really good. When playing a BB you want to have a center position so that you can shoot at everyone but for DD it's really annoying. I think it's North where both B and C cap are to close to each other so a radar cruiser can just park behind the big island and cover both cap. Shatter is a map where I sometime struggle with BB because unless I wipe all ship on the flank I am I can't actively support C / A .

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
2,063 posts
25 minutes ago, LancasterOne said:

so you're assuming your experience is special and you always get the cowardly BBs because MM is doing it to spite you?

Nope sometimes we get BB  players willing to do they're part......................However allow me tell you about a battle wherein a Kurdfurst  p;ayer wanted cruisers  and  DD's  all to go into the cap whilst stayed back the spawn point and sniped using US as bait and mind he wanted us to go into the OPEN Cap and when we insisted on going into the ones with cover he proceeded to do everything he could to throw the game all the way from spamming attention to this area attention to to that and when that wasn't enuff he TKed several players................................Now I admit that is an extreme case :etc_swear: However that's what most of the BB  players said they wanted us to do.   Now yes once in a while we get a Good Battleship Player  however they seem to be rare as hensteeth

Edited by shadowsrmine
  • Bad 2

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
2,063 posts
1 hour ago, AlcatrazNC said:

Going into a cap with your friendly DD isn't what I call support him. In fact you're pain for the DD since he can't cap it quickly. 

A BB in this game becomes a good support when he's within 10-12km of a friendly ship. By it's presence alone, it will forces player to think twice before going close to it and radar. How many radar ship turned away when a BB is spotted 12km of him. Yes that BB will most likely become the center of attention and get shot at but then it's a question of positionning, target selection and how to use your consummable.

But I agree that some map design isn't really good. When playing a BB you want to have a center position so that you can shoot at everyone but for DD it's really annoying. I think it's North where both B and C cap are to close to each other so a radar cruiser can just park behind the big island and cover both cap. Shatter is a map where I sometime struggle with BB because unless I wipe all ship on the flank I am I can't actively support C / A .

You mean the way some maps aren't good for cruisers?............................................Hmmm   can't  you think of  Even One?........................................OK  let me help you out,    Do  you remember a map called Ocean  nor is that the only one!

Edited by shadowsrmine
  • Bad 1

[DRG_N]
Members
430 posts
588 battles
1 hour ago, shadowsrmine said:

IE  get in there and feed your BB's to HE spam and skillwall strikes so I can feel like a unicum.

BB players learned long ago that we will never get anything that could even be mistaken for support from anyone else, so why the hell wold we should we get sent back to port just so you can have fun?

Edited by Highlord
  • Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
2,063 posts
11 hours ago, Highlord said:

BB players learned long ago that we will never get anything that could even be mistaken for support from anyone else, so why the hell wold we should we get sent back to port just so you can have fun?

Back AT you  HE Spam is the only effective weapon cruisers have against your BB's and they're Dev Stryke and again most NOT All  seem to feel they're too important to move up where they can be effective instead you sit back at the spawn point ineffectively sniping whilst ranting at the cruisers and DD's to move up and do something using us as bait while sitting back there ineffectively sniping safely   Oh and   BTW  I do have several BB's   that I take up and support with and yes I do get focus fired a lot I do it anyway to help the team which most of you have forgotten how to do

Edited by shadowsrmine
  • Cool 1
  • Bad 1