Jump to content
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Admiral_Bingo

Since subs are being implemented, what anti sub weapons will be used to counter?

28 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Members
21 posts
812 battles

Submarines are now implemented in the Halloween mission in the public test. If they come out in random battles in a future update, will destroyers be armed with depth charges and squid launchers? Maybe sonar to actually detect subs other than just torps? Firing at submarines from battleship and cruiser guns kinda sounds ridiculous and overkill.

  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
502
[LOU1]
Members
3,047 posts
8,134 battles

In the mode that subs are being implemented as of now, the catapults lob depth charges.

Edited by ExploratorOne

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,689
[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,847 posts
11,558 battles

WG makes a LOT of poor choices, but even WG has to understand that subs have no place in this game outside of operations. Not expecting to see them in randoms or any other pvp mode. 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,273
[RKLES]
Members
7,213 posts
9,006 battles
52 minutes ago, ShadowsOfVanity said:

I imagine carriers will be able to drop something on them as well!

In real life planes could drop some anti sub weapons and of course DDs and some CAs will have them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18
[_EASY]
Members
33 posts
4,011 battles

My Sims has a launcher and 2 racks of depth charges on back ready to go....

Edited by MWSVette1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
2,501 posts
5,487 battles

I can see depth charges which roll off the rear deck but the squid launchers...could it be used to launch one onto a enemy ships near by ?????

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31
[AK]
[AK]
Members
422 posts
22,396 battles
9 minutes ago, dionkraft said:

I can see depth charges which roll off the rear deck but the squid launchers...could it be used to launch one onto a enemy ships near by ?????

I would think that the 4 key would be the mines, once submarines are implemented into the game, and it would have 3 sets of depth, like the 2 sets of spreads on torpedoes 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
4,826 posts
5,596 battles

Let's be clear here. Subs are not being "implemented". Subs are being "concept tested" in the Halloween event. Nothing more, nothing less. The overall feedback from the playerbase will determine the fate of submarines in WoWs.

Personally, I believe they have absolutely no place in random battles. Operations? Sure. Either in an OP where the players control them like the Halloween event, or as AI controlled enemies in regular operations.

Edited by GhostSwordsman
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31
[AK]
[AK]
Members
422 posts
22,396 battles
1 hour ago, Admiral_Bingo said:

Submarines are now implemented in the Halloween mission in the public test. If they come out in random battles in a future update, will destroyers be armed with depth charges and squid launchers? Maybe sonar to actually detect subs other than just torps? Firing at submarines from battleship and cruiser guns kinda sounds ridiculous and overkill.

So far, it’s the mines from Rasputin, the steel rat, and the blysikas that uses it....but If it was going to be live beyond the ops, it would be cruisers, DDs, and cvs that would be the counter to the subs, thru mines , or aircraft that is equipped with anti sub weapons 

Edited by Submarine_M1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31
[AK]
[AK]
Members
422 posts
22,396 battles
Just now, GhostSwordsman said:

Let's be clear here. Subs are not being "implemented". Subs are being "concept tested" in the Halloween event. Nothing more, nothing less. The overall feedback from the playerbase will determine the fate of submarines in WoWs.

Personally, I believe they have absolutely no place in random battles. Operations? Sure. Either in an OP where the players control them like the Halloween event, or as AI controlled enemies in regular operations.

Very true 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
397
[TF_34]
[TF_34]
Members
1,139 posts
6,788 battles

Just b/c we see subs in a special event does not mean we'll see them in the rest of the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
2,501 posts
5,487 battles
13 minutes ago, Submarine_M1 said:

I would think that the 4 key would be the mines, once submarines are implemented into the game, and it would have 3 sets of depth, like the 2 sets of spreads on torpedoes 

I meant his..the hedgehog which can be launched off the deck of the DD to a aim point like this image.  I am asking if this mortar if used will launch and aimed to a enemy ship can be had?

 

Hedgehog pattern after being fired from the bow of an unknown destroyer escort

 

https://www.ussslater.org/tour/weapons/hedgehog/hedgehog.html

hedgehog_6_s.jpg

Edited by dionkraft

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
363 posts
5,184 battles
9 minutes ago, Fog_Heavy_Cruiser_Takao said:

Bb scout plane with depth charges

 

I dont we would need to explain how bad this would be for game balance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31
[AK]
[AK]
Members
422 posts
22,396 battles
30 minutes ago, dionkraft said:

I meant his..the hedgehog which can be launched off the deck of the DD to a aim point like this image.  I am asking if this mortar if used will launch and aimed to a enemy ship can be had?

 

Hedgehog pattern after being fired from the bow of an unknown destroyer escort

 

https://www.ussslater.org/tour/weapons/hedgehog/hedgehog.html

hedgehog_6_s.jpg

Wasn’t sure what you ment, my bad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
21 posts
812 battles
43 minutes ago, GhostSwordsman said:

Let's be clear here. Subs are not being "implemented". Subs are being "concept tested" in the Halloween event. Nothing more, nothing less. The overall feedback from the playerbase will determine the fate of submarines in WoWs.

Personally, I believe they have absolutely no place in random battles. Operations? Sure. Either in an OP where the players control them like the Halloween event, or as AI controlled enemies in regular operations.

OK, maybe I was misled by this article.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3306657/gaming/world-of-warships-adds-submarines-to-naval-combat-game.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
2,501 posts
5,487 battles
Just now, Submarine_M1 said:

Wasn’t sure what you ment, my bad

Some posts coming in that just mine type depth charges will be used on DD's and CA's instead of this mortar type solution...then again you never KNOW if WOW may put this in as a PREMIUM consumable for extra denero = $$$.   Just like I can see SUB premium consumables like EXTRA Oxygen, Torpedo Boost, Run Silent - Run Deep Module, etc!  You know the drill!

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,857
[NGA]
Alpha Tester
9,684 posts
3,924 battles

With only 7k or so hp and having to be surfaced up to 80 seconds at a time just sneeze on one and it'll sink.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
876
[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,449 posts
8,107 battles

We already have hydro, detects torps and ships, would also detect a submerged sub. At depth, any ship that had depth charges likely gets them, likely a hard limit of 1-2 per team. The hole oxygen thing means they have to surface at which point all weapons work. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alpha Tester
3,456 posts
3,871 battles

My guess would be that cruisers will get depth charges, destroyers will get charges and projectors. Some destroyers might get ahead-firing weapons like Hedgehog or Squid, but these were relatively uncommon on fleet destroyers(Daring and Jutland have launchers modeled on them). You might see homing ASW torpedoes on some ships as well, given we're getting the tech to switch torpedo types in game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×