Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Mahrs

Why do people like the PA DD?

22 comments in this topic

Members
1,590 posts
4,356 battles

Everyone seems to think they are quite strong...but, I'm not sure why.  Are DWT that good at higher tiers?  Is it the consumable selection?  

[2CUTE]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,265 posts
3,852 battles

deep water torpedoes are by and large the best thing a DD can carry at high tiers. They are fast, very stealthy, and do buttloads of damage. Every time I see a PADD in the enemy team I do what I can to focus it out and make sure it don't hurt me or my friends. They are good against other DDs too since most of them are US hulls with US guns so they are rapid fire and very painful to brawl against

Beta Testers
2,999 posts
4,437 battles

they are one of the best lines of DDs yet,the DWT are excellent against anything except DD,and the guns are pretty good too.

[HYDRO]
Members
1,587 posts
3,753 battles

In addition to the abovementioned, excellent smoke and the Radar is quite popular in competitive modes.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,169 posts
14,583 battles

I don't play much of PADDs, but as a Cruiser Main with also a lot of BB time, to me DWTs are a major threat.  The very short detection range gives little to no time to react.  It's worse for Cruisers than Battleships.  Even for a Cruiser they have no time to react, and unlike BBs that have way better TDS than Cruisers, they can absorb the damage better.  Cruisers just get destroyed by torps.  Watched enough Cruisers like Hindenburg get massacred by these things, especially CAs that typically don't slot Hydro.

Chung Mu and Yueyang I also respect.  Chung Mu is a Fletcher-class, which already makes for an amazing foundation as Fletcher is one of the best DDs in the game.  Yueyang is a Gearing that isn't sitting high above the water and is a smaller DD to hit in terms of height.  Gearing is as easy to hit as Grozovoi.  This is from a Cruiser / BB perspective shooting at these DDs.  Others already covered consumables.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

[RKLES]
Members
7,227 posts
9,006 battles
53 minutes ago, Mahrs said:

Everyone seems to think they are quite strong...but, I'm not sure why.  Are DWT that good at higher tiers?  Is it the consumable selection?  

In tier X Ranked at least the Yueyang Radar if you remove smoke, but  can be a good asset, and the guns are not bad either, but you do lose ability to Torpedo other DDs though. So for me personally I have used the Gearing which gets the ability to use regular Torps and I keep my smoke.

[RLGN]
Members
8,285 posts
17,328 battles
1 hour ago, Mahrs said:

Some say this; then others turn around and complain Radar and Carriers make it impossible for DDs to survive in high tiers.

I like seeing them, especially if unsupoported; because I know they can't torpedo me in a destroyer; and I seem to die from that more than anything else.

[SALVO]
Members
17,106 posts
17,770 battles
1 hour ago, Cruxdei said:

they are one of the best lines of DDs yet,the DWT are excellent against anything except DD,and the guns are pretty good too.

The high tier PA DDs are basically the same as high tier USN DDs, just with DWTs rather than regular ones.

Can it stink that DWTs can't hit DDs?  Sure.  OTOH, DWTs make getting hits on larger ships a little easier.  It seems like a fair enough trade off.

[WOLF6]
Members
1,874 posts
4,935 battles

I don’t know how many times I’ve fired DWTs at DDs to distract them or make them turn. At some level they may know or remember that DWTs can’t hurt them, but they do the “better safe than sorry” thing and focus on the torps, while I keep firing. Those extra few salvos can make a difference. 

DWTs make torping Cruisers more likely, which expands target opportunities and I’d like to say improves hit rates. Not seeing that yet, but now that the radar tsunami has abated a bit, and survivability is improving, perhaps that will come up as well. 

I do better in the YY, but I think the CM is the ultimate DD. 5.7 detect makes radar most viable, even in Randoms, guns are great without mods or skills, and a torp build gets you really good DWTs on a 90 second cooldown. 

[SYN]
Members
4,549 posts
11,437 battles

DWTs are all but unavoidable, unless spotted early by someone else, and they hit very hard.

Guns are very good for dealing with other DDs.

[WOLF6]
Members
1,874 posts
4,935 battles
19 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Some say this; then others turn around and complain Radar and Carriers make it impossible for DDs to survive in high tiers.

I like seeing them, especially if unsupoported; because I know they can't torpedo me in a destroyer; and I seem to die from that more than anything else.

Radars and CVS are a problem for DDs. The conversation is relative with those problems understood. 

[-TDF-]
Beta Testers
256 posts
3,196 battles
20 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Chung Mu and Yueyang I also respect.  Chung Mu is a Fletcher-class, which already makes for an amazing foundation as Fletcher is one of the best DDs in the game.  Yueyang is a Gearing that isn't sitting high above the water and is a smaller DD to hit in terms of height.  Gearing is as easy to hit as Grozovoi.  This is from a Cruiser / BB perspective shooting at these DDs.  Others already covered consumables.

Yeah they really need to fix the Gearing.

Members
646 posts
7,057 battles

I love PA DD's.

The only DD's I can charge in there smoke and know I will not be torpedoed. 

Great success.

[WOLF6]
Members
1,874 posts
4,935 battles
8 minutes ago, Capt_Mexib said:

I love PA DD's.

The only DD's I can charge in there smoke and know I will not be torpedoed. 

Great success.

I love them too! I love gunning the crap out of other DDs that think that just because I can’t torp them my guns don’t work. 

Light them up with the radar as they come in (if not spotted), and watch the smoking burning hulk coast into my smoke. 

Great success! 

• Funny 1

[SF-3]
Members
1,536 posts
8,148 battles

as mentioned above, because USN guns (good knife fighting), DWT good damage, very stealthy, that sweet juicy radar consumable. Dont under estimated the power to stealth radar.

[AR15]
Members
419 posts
7,893 battles
23 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

I don't play much of PADDs, but as a Cruiser Main with also a lot of BB time, to me DWTs are a major threat.  The very short detection range gives little to no time to react.  It's worse for Cruisers than Battleships.  Even for a Cruiser they have no time to react, and unlike BBs that have way better TDS than Cruisers, they can absorb the damage better.  Cruisers just get destroyed by torps.  Watched enough Cruisers like Hindenburg get massacred by these things, especially CAs that typically don't slot Hydro.

The YueYang is a Sumner-class, basically an improved Fletcher. The Gearing-class is a lengthened Sumner-class for more fuel to extend the cruising range.

[CRMSN]
5,406 posts
3,583 battles

2 Reasons, long range DW torps allow PA DD's to snipe camping radar cruisers quite well. 

Second reason is that the radar in CW is an undeniable threat.  You will get blown out of the water by a PA DD radar sweep in CW if their team is decent. 

Members
1,459 posts
12,354 battles

Average about 15k more in damage in Yueyang, vs other tier 10s (only exception in the new Hug), and a higher win rate. Can be a feast or famine line, if there is a lot of DDs in the game, but out of all the lines have kept more tech tree ships in PADD then  any other line in the game (kept tiers 4, 7,and 9 beyond 10).  My favorite line in the game.

[CRMSN]
5,406 posts
3,583 battles
6 minutes ago, CBSDracster said:

The YueYang is a Sumner-class, basically an improved Fletcher. The Gearing-class is a lengthened Sumner-class for more fuel to extend the cruising range.

Yes but both ships sit exactly the same way in the water and they both have the same width in real life. 

In game the Gearing model not only sits higher but its also much wider then she should be.  She is about 14% wider in game then the YY. When in real life both are the same width . 

The dev's have acknowledge this, however they do not intent to fix it any time soon. 

"Hey there! Thank you for your feedback on the Gearing model and yes, you are correct that there are some inaccuracies with the model as it is currently implemented in the game. As you mentioned the Gearing is one of our oldest models in the game. We know that it's not perfect but reworking the model to fix this would require a lot development time that we're currently spending on developing new ships and trees. Since Gearing is in a good spot balance-wise and the mentioned inaccuracies have no major impact on the ship, this is something with a rather low priority for now. We still made sure to highlight this internally since we're always aiming for very accurate models but for the foreseeable future there won't be any changes to the model.

-Reply : 

Thank you for your response. I do understand that it's a matter of priorities, and that introducing new trees is what WG is currently focused on. That said, I do hope that a Gearing fix can materialize eventually within a reasonable timeframe.

I somewhat disagree with the notion that the model inaccuracies would have no major impact on the gameplay. Gearing is currently notorious for taking full damage penetrations from battleships, and its width is a big factor in this. I do believe that narrowing the model to the correct beam would result in a noticeable decrease in the number of full penetrations from battleship shells.

Answer - 
I understand but then again a change like this might lead to an unwanted increase in survivability for the Gearing compared to other DDs who wouldn't be affected. Hopefully we can address this model issue at some point in the future. Thanks and always a pleasure to have such passionate players who care about the details and also appreciate the effort behind the work from our devs to deliver this.

[DRACS]
Members
3,504 posts

I'm honestly not a fan for a number of reasons:

- I like DD lines that are consistent in how they are played. The PA DDs keep changing their gunnery non stop until tier 8.

- My very favorite thing in the world when playing DDs is not attacking big ships, but tossing a bunch of torpedoes into RPF hinted smoke and seeing another DD caught unawares. I can't do that in PA DDs and it always bothers me. While I appreciate deep water torps have very low detection, I'd rather have torps that can hit everything.

Basically, it's the inconsistency that bothers me.

[WOLF6]
Members
1,874 posts
4,935 battles
20 hours ago, KaptainKaybe said:

I'm honestly not a fan for a number of reasons:

- I like DD lines that are consistent in how they are played. The PA DDs keep changing their gunnery non stop until tier 8.

- My very favorite thing in the world when playing DDs is not attacking big ships, but tossing a bunch of torpedoes into RPF hinted smoke and seeing another DD caught unawares. I can't do that in PA DDs and it always bothers me. While I appreciate deep water torps have very low detection, I'd rather have torps that can hit everything.

Basically, it's the inconsistency that bothers me.

Everyone is entitled to their preferences. Two additional points to consider before you write them off:

the captain builds are the same above T7, as are the guns. Accepting that makes the inconsistencies at lower tiers more acceptable because-

the result is you get to play three of the highest performing DDs in the game. 

As an added benefit, you can play them with radar, which makes you completely reliant on stealth, and focuses situational awareness like nothing else - especially now, with cruisers with radar going viral. 

Sign in to follow this