You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
HMCS_Devilfish

IFHE or DE .. but not both?

28 comments in this topic

[ARRGG]
Members
4,732 posts
7,572 battles

Just checked my Captain skills on Hindenburg and Zao both 19 point Captains and on both ships IFHE is blocked, it says the ship is not configured for this skill, when and what is the change ... it’s a Cruiser with big guns for god sakes

[HINON]
Supertester
19,240 posts
12,789 battles

The skill isn't blocked, you can still pick it. The reason it's 'not efficient' with those ships is because IFHE on 203mm guns is questionable at best and a waste of four points at worst.

• Cool 5
  • Bad 1

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,874 posts
5,259 battles

They have some weird rules for how they categorize the captain skills.  Just ignore them and get it anyway if you want it.

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,678 posts
9,071 battles
55 minutes ago, Lert said:

The skill isn't blocked, you can still pick it. The reason it's 'not efficient' with those ships is because IFHE on 203mm guns is questionable at best and a waste of four points at worst.

Those are really only general suggestions and you have to base using that skill on that ship on your experience. There are some wild although often situational captains builds such as IFHE on the Nelson, standard penetrations with HE against bow on cruisers for example.

55 minutes ago, TheDreadnought said:

They have some weird rules for how they categorize the captain skills.  Just ignore them and get it anyway if you want it.

This, if you feel you are going to benefit from that skill take it.

[TF_34]
[TF_34]
Members
1,139 posts
6,829 battles
1 hour ago, HMCS_Devilfish said:

Just checked my Captain skills on Hindenburg and Zao both 19 point Captains and on both ships IFHE is blocked, it says the ship is not configured for this skill, when and what is the change ... it’s a Cruiser with big guns for god sakes

I have IFHE on my Mass captain... and the skill now has a big no symbol over it.

[SALVO]
Members
17,094 posts
17,761 battles
22 minutes ago, Gen_Saris said:

I have IFHE on my Mass captain... and the skill now has a big no symbol over it.

But some German ships have IFHE backed into the ship, so what's the value in taking it again?  That's probably why is has the not recommended symbol over the IFHE skill in the first place.

• Cool 1

[TF_34]
[TF_34]
Members
1,139 posts
6,829 battles
2 minutes ago, Crucis said:

But some German ships have IFHE backed into the ship, so what's the value in taking it again?  That's probably why is has the not recommended symbol over the IFHE skill in the first place.

My apologies for the confusion... Mass as in battleship Massachusetts, not Maass the German DD.

[GWG]
[GWG]
15,678 posts
9,071 battles
28 minutes ago, Gen_Saris said:

You are showing your age using that abbreviation for the state. :Smile_hiding: I am from Minn.

[ARRGG]
Members
4,732 posts
7,572 battles
1 minute ago, Crucis said:

That may very well be true but it is also blocked on my Zao, the skill does work on Vllll and under Cruisers, it did work when I first put it on some months ago and it did make a difference in damage done .. time to file a ticket, I should not have to pay  about a 1000 Doubloons to change there change

1615237D-CCBB-42CD-A8E8-B73B457F2AD0.jpeg

Beta Testers
1,418 posts
1 hour ago, Lert said:

On topic but not same situation/ship .. I've always found it odd that BB shells like Yamato's have such poor penetration even with IFHE (yeah I tried it during the free respect week)... given that if you think about it, an 18 inch shell's explosive power should have significant punch compared to a measly 8 inch gun yet neither zao's nor Yamato's HE can citadel a light cruiser even with IFHE.

[TF_34]
[TF_34]
Members
1,139 posts
6,829 battles
1 minute ago, HMCS_Devilfish said:

That may very well be true but it is also blocked on my Zao, the skill does work on Vllll and under Cruisers, it did work when I first put it on some months ago and it did make a difference in damage done .. time to file a ticket, I should not have to pay  about a 1000 Doubloons to change there change

The no symbol doesn't mean the skill is blocked. The skill still works and you can still choose it, the symbol is merely an indication for newer players what skills may not be optimal for a particular ship.

• Cool 2

[HINON]
Supertester
19,240 posts
12,789 battles
2 minutes ago, Skyfaller said:

I've always found it odd that BB shells like Yamato's have such poor penetration even with IFHE (yeah I tried it during the free respect week)

Most HE shells have a 1/6 pen rule. This means they can defeat armor with a thickness 1/6 the caliber of the shell. In Yamato's case this means it can apply direct damage to 76mm armor plates and thinner.

Beta Testers
1,418 posts
9 minutes ago, Lert said:

Most HE shells have a 1/6 pen rule. This means they can defeat armor with a thickness 1/6 the caliber of the shell. In Yamato's case this means it can apply direct damage to 76mm armor plates and thinner.

that 1/6th caliber is the odd rule that makes it that way. A Yamato HE round should vaporize a light cruiser or destroyer (and yes, they do arm). But in the game you hit a DD with a Yamato HE and it does not apply the full damage ..nor to a light cruiser. Yet it does to a BB or cruiser superstructure (which ironically have more armor than a DD).

Have it hit a Khabarovsk's 50mm plate and the damage is significantly lower than if it hit a minotaur for example. just weird stuff

[HINON]
Supertester
19,240 posts
12,789 battles
11 minutes ago, HMCS_Devilfish said:

That may very well be true but it is also blocked on my Zao

IT'S NOT BLOCKED. You can still pick it. It still does what it's always done. It's just a graphical warning for noobs. That's all this is. Nothing's changed.

Members
2,594 posts
12,485 battles
18 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

You are showing your age using that abbreviation for the state. :Smile_hiding: I am from Minn.

FLA reporting for duty.

• Cool 1

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,185 posts
11,695 battles
21 minutes ago, HMCS_Devilfish said:

1615237D-CCBB-42CD-A8E8-B73B457F2AD0.jpeg

It's not blocked, you still have it.  It's not recommended because it's bad for Zao.

Also, it works on ships under T8 too.  IFHE should only be on ships with 155mm or lower main guns, OR BB captains that want it for secondaries.  On 203mm armed cruisers, it is a waste in most situations.

Edited by crzyhawk
  • Cool 1

Members
605 posts
7,221 battles

Jesus people nothing changed.  Still the same rules as before, but they put on training wheels for new players.

[NWNG]
[NWNG]
Members
2,038 posts
3,564 battles

It is not blocked, it is telling you that it is inefficient skill to have. However, that recommendation only takes the main batteries into consideration, not secondary batteries.

[ARRGG]
Members
4,732 posts
7,572 battles
35 minutes ago, Lert said:

IT'S NOT BLOCKED. You can still pick it. It still does what it's always done. It's just a graphical warning for noobs. That's all this is. Nothing's changed.

[-WPG-]
Members
812 posts
3,352 battles
3 hours ago, HMCS_Devilfish said:

The ONLY thing IFHE can pen with 203mm guns is Iowa, Montana, and Yamato/Musahi deck armor. That's it.  Pretty much a waste 4 points. And it is completely useless on the Hindenburg since German HE already has 1/4 pen. The only exception is the Henri - IFHE allow it to pend Khaba belt armor, Moskva plating, and GK deck.  Still a questionable use of a skill. 

This is like the 3rd thread over the last couple days where IFHE's use has been discussed.  Flamu breaks it down in the below video, and the thresholds and usefulness of IFHE are detailed at the link below. 

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Armor_thresholds

[GWG]
[GWG]
15,678 posts
9,071 battles
2 minutes ago, DouglasMacAwful said:

The ONLY thing IFHE can pen with 203mm guns is Iowa, Montana, and Yamato/Musahi deck armor. That's it.  Pretty much a waste 4 points. And it is completely useless on the Hindenburg since German HE already has 1/4 pen. The only exception is the Henri - IFHE allow it to pend Khaba belt armor, Moskva plating, and GK deck.  Still a questionable use of a skill. 

This is like the 3rd thread over the last couple days where IFHE's use has been discussed.  Flamu breaks it down in the below video, and the thresholds and usefulness of IFHE are detailed at the link below. 

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Armor_thresholds

Yeah, ironically the BB's get better use out of it on their mains.

[STURM]
Members
302 posts
2,913 battles
9 hours ago, Skyfaller said:

that 1/6th caliber is the odd rule that makes it that way. A Yamato HE round should vaporize a light cruiser or destroyer (and yes, they do arm). But in the game you hit a DD with a Yamato HE and it does not apply the full damage ..nor to a light cruiser. Yet it does to a BB or cruiser superstructure (which ironically have more armor than a DD).

Have it hit a Khabarovsk's 50mm plate and the damage is significantly lower than if it hit a minotaur for example. just weird stuff

Um, that's not how it works. Armor thickness only impacts if damage is dealt at all, not how much, at least for HE. (AP does have less damage if the armor is too thin, I.E. an overpenatration.)

Basically, when a HE shell hits a ship, the game checks the penatration against the armor of wherever it hit. If the penatration is less, no damage. (Fire can still happen.) If it is more, damage is dealt.

The only time more penatration means more damage with HE is when you have a huge shell hitting a spot that is both lightly armored and has the citadel right behind it. These HE citadel hits are mostly limited to RN BBs, though.

Damage saturation to the target may reduce the damage, but armor can only stop damage, not reduce it.

Beta Testers
2,136 posts
3,620 battles
12 hours ago, Lert said:

To add some on to this. 

IFHE doesn't give these ships enough penetration to warrant getting it, as they can already penetrate 32mm of armor which is the thickest common plate you will see.  If the plate is thicker than that they usually can't penetrate it even with IFHE.

Beta Testers
2,136 posts
3,620 battles
10 hours ago, crzyhawk said:

It's not blocked, you still have it.  It's not recommended because it's bad for Zao.

Also, it works on ships under T8 too.  IFHE should only be on ships with 155mm or lower main guns, OR BB captains that want it for secondaries.  On 203mm armed cruisers, it is a waste in most situations.

180mm , don't forget the donskoy.

Beta Testers
2,136 posts
3,620 battles
11 hours ago, Skyfaller said:

If it arms then it does the same amount of damage regardless of what it hits. 33% it reaches the full amount only if it hits a citadel.