You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
n00bot

Stop Telling Me How To Play DD

77 comments in this topic

[PLPT]
Members
632 posts
6,808 battles

Playing Ranked mode as a DD, I’ve gotten a whole lot of advice from non-DD teammates about where to go, when to retreat, even what ship to play.  I’ve been regularly harassed about ship selection even before the match starts.  I’m in rank class 5-2, but most of the advice is of the obvious type, something you’d say to an inexperienced DD player.

Why such disrespect? DD’s are not telling BB’s how to play.  BB’s aren’t telling CA’s how to play.  If you think you’re better at DD than me, why are you in a Yammy?

Please [edited] with the “advice.”  It hurts team spirit and it’s usually wrong.  Well not wrong per se but it’s generally advice for very average DD play.  The difference maker at R5-2 is knowing when to break the rules in very specific situations.  If I played DD like you all want me to, I’d still be at R10.

• Cool 10
  • Boring 3
  • Bad 1

[PLPT]
Members
632 posts
6,808 battles
56 minutes ago, So_lt_Goes said:

Ever notice how most in-game advice comes from players who are already dead?

'Nuf said.

Actually you’d be surprised at the amount of advice and flak I get even before the match starts.  For example:

“WHY are you in a Shimakaze? OMG we already lost because the other team has a Harugumo.”  Actually I eat Harugumo’s for lunch.  Easy to outspot and extremely vulnerable to torps.

”Watch out for the radar and don’t overextended”  Duh? It’s like telling a BB to use AP.  Insulting af.

One game was “F3 torps?  You idiot.  You have to get inside suicide range to use them”  I proceeded to carry that game by killing a Haru, Moskva, and Yammy at C cap on Mountain Range, with -zero- support while the rest of the team was running to A cap.  And just before I made that move, I was told to “Get Back!”

All of this hate before a match even starts...

Edited by n00bot
  • Cool 1

[SF-A]
Members
2,892 posts
5,682 battles

I suppose they fear having one of those DD captains who just goes "hurr durr cap good enemy bad" and waffles around the map trying to find an empty cap.

Not that their advice would help the poor fella...

[SALVO]
Members
17,039 posts
17,659 battles
5 minutes ago, So_lt_Goes said:

'Nuf said.

To be somewhat fair, some of that is because most of the time, if you're still alive and fully engaged with the enemy, you don't have TIME to type out advice.   But yes, I do get your point.

• Cool 3

[ICE9]
Members
811 posts
1 minute ago, n00bot said:

Actually you’d be surprised at the amount of advice and flak I get even before the match starts.  For example:

“WHY are you in a Shimakaze? OMG we already lost because the other team has a Harukaze.”  Actually I eat Harukaze’s for lunch.  Easy to outspot and extremely vulnerable to torps.

”Watch out for the radar and don’t overextended”  Duh? It’s like telling a BB to use AP.  Insulting af.

One game was “F3 torps?  You idiot.  You have to get inside suicide range to use them”  I proceeded to carry that game by killing a Haru, Moskva, and Yammy at C cap on Mountain Range, with -zero- support while the rest of the team was running to A cap.

All of this before a match even starts...

If you're in a Co-op match and that happens, try this fun trick. I used to do it in a nice fast Leningrad.:

Run around the map and spot all the toasters you can, especially BB's, staying out of detection range. The bots will OCD chase a DD.

Kite the whole pack straight toward Helpful Heloise's position.

Salt and laughter ensue.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

Members
181 posts
1,591 battles

You do know there are Admirals that "Think they know Better" your just one Class of 4 ships the Admirals know about.(even if they never played them)

You are being (insubordinate) and must be punished.( Go to Gulag ) j/k

Every player no matter what ship they choose to play will often run into this Admiral.

Think of this when ever you do experience the Admiral

MeLqfSj.gif 

• Funny 2

Members
4,541 posts
6,434 battles
10 minutes ago, So_lt_Goes said:

'Nuf said.

Nuf taint said. Player is dead and now has time to asses the situation and sometimes make accurate observations which can be hard to do while still alive and fighting. Granted, this can go overboard. However just because a player is dead does not necessarily mean he is giving bad advice. Just because a player is still alive can also mean he has not done crap in the game and is "just surviving".  Dead players often have done a hell of a lot more than those who are still alive. Cuts both ways. 

• Cool 7
  • Bad 2

Members
18 posts
4,017 battles
23 minutes ago, n00bot said:

Playing Ranked mode as a DD, I’ve gotten a whole lot of advice from non-DD teammates about where to go, when to retreat, even what ship to play.  I’ve been regularly harassed about ship selection even before the match starts.  I’m in rank class 5-2, but most of the advice is of the obvious type, something you’d say to an inexperienced DD player.

Why such disrespect? DD’s are not telling BB’s how to play.  BB’s aren’t telling CA’s how to play.  If you think you’re better at DD than me, why are you in a Yammy?

Please STFU with the “advice.”  It hurts team spirit and it’s usually wrong.  Well not wrong per se but it’s generally advice for very average DD play.  The difference maker at R5-2 is knowing when to break the rules in very specific situations.  If I played DD like you all want me to, I’d still be at R10.

YOU ARE TOTALLY CORRECT!

• Bad 1

Members
4,541 posts
6,434 battles
5 minutes ago, Crucis said:

To be somewhat fair, some of that is because most of the time, if you're still alive and fully engaged with the enemy, you don't have TIME to type out advice.   But yes, I do get your point.

This is a true and fair statement IMO.  TIME....don't have that when you are engaged. Indeed there are dead players who abuse their dead time and just yak and spam worthless crap. On that I agree. 

[SALVO]
Members
17,039 posts
17,659 battles
38 minutes ago, dmckay said:

This is a true and fair statement IMO.  TIME....don't have that when you are engaged. Indeed there are dead players who abuse their dead time and just yak and spam worthless crap. On that I agree. 

Agreed.  Just like there are some players who while alive treat in game chat like it's general chat (talking about any ol' thing).  Thankfully, this used to be a CRAPTON worse when the game was released.  It would make it completely impossible to even use chat to pass alone useful messages or canned messages, because some morons wanted to talk about useless stuff to such a degree that it would drown out everything else.

[USCC2]
Members
3,553 posts
1 hour ago, n00bot said:

To be fair I think I've heard captains of every ship type give advice - sometimes in a constructive way and sometimes with a pinch of salt :Smile_smile:.

All I can say is if it seems well meant (constructive) what does it hurt to listen and maybe see if you could have done better? :Smile_honoring:

[ADD]
Members
11 posts
7,845 battles

“Dead” and live players have saved more than one win for me. I sure appreciate advice if I’m knee deep in alligators and I’ve overlooked something. Is some of it useless? Yes, but I don’t have to take it.

• Cool 2

[TF_34]
[TF_34]
Beta Testers
1,058 posts
3,925 battles

I can only say some may be scarred by too many matches where DD players yolo and die early because they outran their support, or are just not good lolibote drivers (like me...oh sweet mother Mary, you DO NOT want to see me in a DD--the nerve damage in my hands just makes it an ugly experience with few exceptions). They likely don't know your capability. Just ignore them and do what you do. 

I have to say, one of the things that impresses me in this game is watching a well played DD. Especially in light of all the handicaps tossed in front of the type. Got some DD drivers in my clan that are just an 8th wonder to watch in action. As much much as I disagree with some positions here on the forums, <0 and hats off to you guys that make those little bastids work!

[SIDE]
Members
1,247 posts
8,868 battles
1 hour ago, _WaveRider_ said:

To be fair I think I've heard captains of every ship type give advice - sometimes in a constructive way and sometimes with a pinch of salt :Smile_smile:.

All I can say is if it seems well meant (constructive) what does it hurt to listen and maybe see if you could have done better? :Smile_honoring:

It can distract the player, cause simmering bad feelings if the player feels it's not good advice. Just because you have advice to give, doesn't mean you should actually give it. Ranked can be pretty tense. Most players want to concentrate and evaluate the enemy, especially right before the action begins.

Edited by _Rumple_

[SAA]
Members
856 posts
27,229 battles

We are playing Ranked on CW maps, with a CW format and with mostly a CW line up.  Most of the advice that is useless comes from players that never made it out of gale league.  I have had players give me some good advice though, just not many of them are "good players".

n00bot is one of the good DD drivers, when I see him on my team I am more happy then when I see him on the other side.

• Cool 1

[2CUTE]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,259 posts
3,852 battles

I try to limit my calls in chat to assistance. "Warspite, DD on your left,"  "GC you should angle, you're broadside to a Gneisenau and he's gonna hurt you," "I try not to tell people what to do but I'm no stranger to saying "someone should cap B now" or soemthing to that effect. I can honestly say I try not to tell DD drivers what to do. I'm a BB/CA main and its entirely not my place. 

[RKLES]
Members
7,195 posts
8,951 battles
2 hours ago, n00bot said:

Please STFU with the “advice.”  It hurts team spirit and it’s usually wrong.  Well not wrong per se but it’s generally advice for very average DD play.  The difference maker at R5-2 is knowing when to break the rules in very specific situations.  If I played DD like you all want me to, I’d still be at R10.

Yeah you get that as a Ranked DD player, but also get that in my Zao sometimes too. They often want me going into worst possible positions for my Zao, granted you might stick a USN CA in such spots, but Zao No.

[USCC2]
Members
3,553 posts
1 hour ago, _Rumple_ said:

It can distract the player, cause simmering bad feelings if the player feels it's not good advice. Just because you have advice to give, doesn't mean you should actually give it. Ranked can be pretty tense. Most players want to concentrate and evaluate the enemy, especially right before the action begins.

If what you say is true then if a player is too busy concentrating on the game then they aren't going to read the messages anyway (whether good or bad). If the player has time to look, then they have already made the decision to read it - it is then up to them to dismiss it or take it on board.

Most people will make their own decision to read the messages or not - and if they do, it is also their decision to accept what is written or not. It's all down to the players own choice. :Smile_honoring:

Edited by _WaveRider_

Members
845 posts
10 battles
4 hours ago, n00bot said:

So I would guess those people are using matchmaking monitor and looking at your stats. They are below average and your survival rate is atrocious. 

Beta Testers
541 posts
2,875 battles

If im already Dead i help my surviving teamates by giving information on ship locations and what the red team is doing. if you already know thats fine, but sometimes its helpfull. Ranked is won by communicating with your team.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,173 posts
11,691 battles

You know, it's possible that maybe they are right.

[CHMC]
[CHMC]
Members
234 posts
7,416 battles

No advice is bad advice, even if it is bad. It gives you more perspective, tests your theories on what works, reaffirms the choices you're making, can improve your gameplay in future, or can be disregarded.

More information leads to better informed decisions. Unless your armchair admirals are throwing a hissy fit you have players with the intent to win trying to help towards that goal, it should align with yours.

Unless you are a super unicum with a 100% win rate and gods gift to world of warships there is grounds for improvement.

• Cool 1