You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Meeso_Thorny

Who does a good replay analysis? I want to know what we did wrong.

15 comments in this topic

Members
244 posts
1,273 battles

Is there an ultra-unicum that does replay analysis that can help me figure out what I did wrong in a recent match?

[HINON]
Supertester
19,213 posts
12,740 battles

@Lord_Zath Great player, analyses / comments on replays, uploads them to youtube, generally all-round good egg.

• Cool 2

[CTF80]
[CTF80]
Members
4,226 posts
10,508 battles

Question:

Did you get sunk?  Reason:  you got shot.

Did you survive and cause lots of damage?  Reason:  you shot better than the other guy.

There you go!  My fees are reasonable.

• Funny 1

[PLPT]
Members
635 posts
6,825 battles

There’s “crowd wisdom” and it may not require an “ultra-unicum” if you just care to post it.  I’d argue that no-one is good at all ships, just as no sports player can play all positions.  So what boat? 

[ENDVR]
Members
411 posts
5,326 battles
Just now, mohawkdriver said:

There you go!  My fees are reasonable.

Mine are not, but are tax deductible.

• Funny 1

Members
2,557 posts
12,419 battles
8 minutes ago, Meeso_Thorny said:

Is there an ultra-unicum that does replay analysis that can help me figure out what I did wrong in a recent match?

First off, everyone here is an ultra-Unicom. just ask each of us, stats don't matter.

Secondly, whats the real problem? usually I know what I did wrong, many times in advance of getting killed.

Members
244 posts
1,273 battles

Well part of it is figuring out what "we" did wrong. It's not enough to just play well, I like to coach the team toward winning strategies as well because sometimes you're tunnel visioned and can't see something someone else can. Like "hey DD we killed everything in C" or "cruiser pls radar B"  Somehow we gave away a huge points and materiel lead in this match.

edit: wrong replay my bad

Edited by Meeso_Thorny
wrong replay

[DPG]
Members
897 posts
4,435 battles

I concur with what @Lert said.  @Lord_Zath is your best option.  I can legitimately state that sending in my replays has benefited my playing.  From things like better mini map awareness, target calling, and knowing when to get aggressive, have all contributed to a better playing experience.  

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
1,347 posts
9,543 battles

Well, at least you shoot well.

I am not a fan of playing the slow boat game, especially with a fast battleship. Game balance wise, you paid for that speed, best to get something for it.

Slow boating to the center cap may have supported your DD's, but it's lousy for your firing opportunities,  you basically can't fire at anything going to A or C. True, you've got B as your private shooting gallery, but nobody with any brains is going to make themselves a target in there.

After you went to the end cap, you spent a lot of time looking south without targets. You should have been putting rounds into those two Amagi's that were getting lead on the merry little chase up north. They were broadside to you for a long while, and one of those Amagi's hit you hard you later on. I'm not sure if the teammates that were up there were worth saving, but it might have saved you from that cross fire.

Nothing to really comment on from there, after that you were basically getting beaten to death from all sides.

For improving, put your speed to good use, pick a flank to get on, and use your speed to get there. You shoot well enough to get good results with those guns, you just need to keep them firing. In that match, you could have picked either flank, and had quite an impact when you got there. I'm not going  to say that you would have won that match, but it would have been a lot closer, and you would have made more credits and XP.

Key to any fast battleship is, minimize the incoming damage, while maximizing your firing opportunities. 

Edited by SgtBeltfed
  • Cool 2

[-K-]
WoWS Wiki Editor, Members, Supertester, WoWS Community Contributors
4,726 posts
15,373 battles

Thanks for the callouts!  I'll be doing another replay stream next saturday and have this one marked priority.

• Cool 1

Members
244 posts
1,273 battles
19 minutes ago, SgtBeltfed said:

Well, at least you shoot well.

I am not a fan of playing the slow boat game, especially with a fast battleship. Game balance wise, you paid for that speed, best to get something for it.

Slow boating to the center cap may have supported your DD's, but it's lousy for your firing opportunities,  you basically can't fire at anything going to A or C. True, you've got B as your private shooting gallery, but nobody with any brains is going to make themselves a target in there.

After you went to the end cap, you spent a lot of time looking south without targets. You should have been putting rounds into those two Amagi's that were getting lead on the merry little chase up north. They were broadside to you for a long while, and one of those Amagi's hit you hard you later on. I'm not sure if the teammates that were up there were worth saving, but it might have saved you from that cross fire.

Nothing to really comment on from there, after that you were basically getting beaten to death from all sides.

For improving, put your speed to good use, pick a flank to get on, and use your speed to get there. You shoot well enough to get good results with those guns, you just need to keep them firing. In that match, you could have picked either flank, and had quite an impact when you got there. I'm not going  to say that you would have won that match, but it would have been a lot closer, and you would have made more credits and XP.

Key to any fast battleship is, minimize the incoming damage, while maximizing your firing opportunists. 

Where I agree with you is that I should have been blamming those Amagis in the side during their chase of our battleship trio. That much is clear. I was very concerned with the situation developing south of A. "Surprise Musashi" is the worst kind of Musashi

Really I'm equally as concerned about figuring out what the rest of the team was doing and should have been doing as well. The score was like 850-200 at one point I think.

[XBRTC]
Members
1,417 posts
7,434 battles
33 minutes ago, Meeso_Thorny said:

"Surprise Musashi" is the worst kind of Musashi

Quote of the day right there.

[BRZKR]
[BRZKR]
Members
418 posts
7 hours ago, Meeso_Thorny said:

Where I agree with you is that I should have been blamming those Amagis in the side during their chase of our battleship trio. That much is clear. I was very concerned with the situation developing south of A. "Surprise Musashi" is the worst kind of Musashi

Really I'm equally as concerned about figuring out what the rest of the team was doing and should have been doing as well. The score was like 850-200 at one point I think.

Yes, Lord Zath is the best in giving comments for replays. I have greatly improved my play-style because of him.