Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
unarid

Build or save oil

9 comments in this topic

[OILFA]
Members
20 posts
3,731 battles

So in a clan I recently joined, the clan page shows it has a bit more than 74,000 oil in reserve, Officers Club 2 out of 4, Academy 0 out of 5, Rostral Column 0 out of 1, Research Center 0 out of 6, Design Bureau 0 out of 6, Ship Building Yard 0 out of 6, Dry Dock 0 out of 6, Coal Port 0 out of 3, and Steel Port 0 out of 3. With that much oil accumulated does it make any sense to not build and expand some stuff immediately? Any reason to not build and continue to hoard the reserve? Perplexed.

Supertester
180 posts
5,134 battles

Unless you want to save for a specific thing then you should save.... with 70k coal you can afford the first (and second if i can math) level of any building the may want at the very least. Not really much point in saving at the moment imho unless you have a maxed port.

[LOU1]
Members
3,015 posts
8,116 battles

Out of curiosity, did you bring this up with the clan leadership?  They are the only people that know what their plan is.  Clan 2.0 can be somewhat confusing, but there are a couple of good threads and videos that explain the new system and give some suggestions.

[OILFA]
Members
20 posts
3,731 battles

I am in process of questioning the leadership. But first here to get me schooled up on how clans work.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
1,534 posts
7,520 battles
13 minutes ago, unarid said:

I am in process of questioning the leadership. But first here to get me schooled up on how clans work.

It looks like your clan playerbase is 39/40..

So, your leadership probably wants to get to that 50 player max, with the idea that more players means more oil to build the rest of the base.

And, depending on the overall interest in Clan battles, a bigger clan means more chances to consistantly field a team.

• Cool 1

[TOG]
Members
2,484 posts
14,940 battles
1 hour ago, unarid said:

So in a clan I recently joined, the clan page shows it has a bit more than 74,000 oil in reserve, Officers Club 2 out of 4, Academy 0 out of 5, Rostral Column 0 out of 1, Research Center 0 out of 6, Design Bureau 0 out of 6, Ship Building Yard 0 out of 6, Dry Dock 0 out of 6, Coal Port 0 out of 3, and Steel Port 0 out of 3. With that much oil accumulated does it make any sense to not build and expand some stuff immediately? Any reason to not build and continue to hoard the reserve? Perplexed.

I'm the Base Engineer of my clan. The clan looks like a small one since O Club is only 2 out of 4.

What to build depends on what the clan members want. Research Center, Design Bureau, Ship Building Yard and Dry Dock are good for lowering your operating cost and grinding at new ship lines. More members mean more oil so expanding the O club is also a must.  You have to give clan members a reason to stay, otherwise see low retention rates and active members. The only reason to hoard it is if they plan to expand the O club first.

Edited by Bill_Halsey
  • Cool 1

[OILFA]
Members
20 posts
3,731 battles

These have been some good replies to my question. Thanks everyone.

[ALM_]
Members
44 posts
2,712 battles

I am clan Leader, and I have also to decide where to spend oil.

The first few levels have the greatest perks at the least costs. And each level exponentially costs more and reward less.

So it may make sense to spend some oil on the cheapest things that appear.

But it is not always like that.

Some people could have opposite views, when trying to research things. How would someone choose between xp bonus, regular xp, free, commander? And at what price?

It is somewhat difficult. I chose to spend the clan 2.0 rebuild to increase clan to 40 and get the first levels of everything, the make it round.

But now, I have to choose between spending 6k oil on Level 4 Ship Building Port, which would give 2% additional discount on all researchable buys (on top of 10%).

Or should I hoard 12k oil and have additional 5% discount on service on top of 5% discount?

Let''s see this through tier 6 american BB and then tier 8 american BB:

Operation cost

Tier 6: 23000

Tier 8: 75000

Buying price:

Tier 6: 3450000

Tier 8: 9800000

Buying price/ service:

T6 = 150

T8 ~= 131

What do I have now:

Discount on operation:

T6 = 1150

T8 = 3750

Discount on buying:

T6 = 345000

T8 = 980000

What would I have if I increased a level of both?

Operation discount:

T6 = 2300

T8 = 7500

Ship price discount::

T6 = 414000

T8 = 1176000

Now, considering you buy your ship once, and you can play as much as you want... how many service, should make up for the discount?

Diference in buying discount / difererence in service discount:

T8 = (1176000-980000)/(7500-3750) = 196000/3750 ~= 52

T6 = (414000 - 345000)/(2300-1150) = 69000/1150 ~= 60

That 52 and 60 is the number of games you have to play to pay back the discount in buying price.

I mean, T6 is not so much expensive ship at all. All tier 6 and below are profitable. I think people don't struggle a lot buying those ships... But service from level 8 and upwards can turn from profit to loss, so increasing the discount seems a very reasonable choice.

As the operation costs run at each game and run forever, contrary to a one time discount, it seems that it makes more sense to hoard the double of oil for it.

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Economy#Operating_Cost

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:North_Carolina

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:New_Mexico

[TOG]
Members
2,484 posts
14,940 battles

I'll have to point out that the oil isn't earning interest so hording it is sub optimal. You could invest it in one of the lower cost structures and your clan would be receiving the benefits immediately. To choose between Free XP, Commanders XP and lower costs? Why not do a poll of your clan? That gives you a priority list of what to build.

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this