You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Abides

Upcoming CV changes may decrease CV population?

130 comments in this topic

[DUDE_]
Members
2,604 posts
12,503 battles

Been wondering for awhile now on why there are so many really really bad CV players and their wr's are so low after hundreds if not thousands of games....just spit balling here... but I am theorizing that many of these CV players actually are forced to play CV due to poor internet connections or slow speed and really can't play the regular ships as their ping is to slow for them to be effective....therefor, their only option is to play the RTS game that is our current CV playstyle and they can at least play as a simple click on target and forget about it.... 

IF that UI changes might we lose those 33%'rs and (god willing)... the super CV players may at least come down to earth as they all now have to play players that are closer in skill level?

• Boring 1

[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
4,862 posts
7,177 battles

well it is true that I have poor internet connection (100+ ping), so there is a reasonable (but not 100% true) argument to say that influences my preference for RTS. But the truth is, I fall asleep at the helm of first *sip tea* person *yawn* shoot *scratch behind ear* battleship gameplay. If I do drop cvs after rework, it won't be because of the rts/fps transition, but because fps in WOWS, excepting dds (which I am terrible at) and cls, is too slow paced, boring in short. Battleships suit the sort of player you define, OP, far more than CVs, now or post rework.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

Members
2,505 posts
5,500 battles

The NEW CV changes will change all that - I predict a influx of MANY New CV players buying ships and joining the fray. Everyone will now then start from the beginning and forget the old ways which will have been swept away.  Its a new beginning...this is starting to sound like a StarWars dialogue but it is in its form. I commend the CV players who took the time and skill to learn and become really good but now it will soon be in the past.  Even when the CVs get released I predict it will not be some finalized version but a work in progress to tweak it to a more polished version in the months to come. I'm looking forward to it when it arrives which is around the months ahead.

• Cool 4
  • Bad 2

[POP]
Members
599 posts
12,025 battles
5 minutes ago, LoveBote said:

But the truth is, I fall asleep at the helm of first *sip tea* person *yawn* shoot *scratch behind ear* battleship gameplay.

Must be really exciting auto dropping people into oblivion with GZ. *smirks*

[DUDE_]
Members
2,604 posts
12,503 battles
1 minute ago, dionkraft said:

The NEW CV changes will change all that - I predict a influx of MANY New CV players buying ships and joining the fray. Everyone will now then start from the beginning and forget the old ways which will have been swept away.  Its a new beginning...this is starting to sound like a StarWars dialogue but it is in its form. I commend the CV players who took the time and skill to learn and become really good but now it will soon be in the past.  Even when the CVs get released I predict it will not be some finalized version but a work in progress to tweak it to a more polished version in the months to come. I'm looking forward to it when it arrives which is around the months ahead.

I fall into the camp of looking forward to playing or at least trying them as well. And like any new content most will try it as well. 

[DUDE_]
Members
2,604 posts
12,503 battles
Just now, Alabamastan said:

Must be really exciting auto dropping people into oblivion with GZ. *smirks*

Is the GZ really that easy? damn, I should have got it! lols

Members
2,505 posts
5,500 battles
5 minutes ago, APA_204 said:

I fall into the camp of looking forward to playing or at least trying them as well. And like any new content most will try it as well. 

It's good you have a open mind and give it a try. Many here are pretty adamant of the New CV design as a failure so thats their view. Ditto for the SUBS as well.!!  I'm excited for both and keep a "We shall see attitude.."  

• Cool 1
  • Bad 2

[POP]
Members
599 posts
12,025 battles

I will be playing the CV lines after the rework, I stopped after the last few changed and the talk of rework. I only have one other ship to get to tier 10 so it will be nice to be able to finish the carriers as well.

[SSBN]
[SSBN]
Members
306 posts
5,227 battles

I’ve just been starting to play my CVs better. I wish WG could make some tweaks to the existing UI nd gameplay to make it a little more friendly.

• Cool 1

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
2,559 posts

The new system will receive a very heavy push from WG, with lots of mission incentives and specials, and see a short-term influx of CV players, many of them just as bad at the new system as they might have been at the old. 

Long-term, the CV numbers will drop off lower than they are now, as people realize that the new interface is just a worse version of the single-POV ship interface, and that it doesn't even offer the alternative gameplay that the old system did.

• Cool 4
  • Funny 1
  • Bad 2

[RLGN]
Members
8,297 posts
17,360 battles

“The more things change; the more they remain the same...”

I expect a spike, then a rapid drop off in carrier population.

Still too much potential for a skill gap; too much potential for CV griefing in chat; gameplay mechanics will be rock stupid simple compared to before, but still not as simple as those of regular ships; and while the controls may be closer to those of regular ships; the actual mechanics aren’t THAT close.

CV haters gonna hate; how many will really try the new mechanics with an open mind?

Old players hacked over a battleaxe CV rework; how many will really have an open mind with the new system?

New players and older players not poisoned by the old CV play, (does such actually exist?) WG’s last, best hope for  CVs... How many will be disappointed CVs don’t live up to their reputation, and quickly drop them?

57 minutes ago, dionkraft said:

Many here are pretty adamant of the New CV design as a failure so that's their view.

Whyever should it be we feel that way? It’s not like suggestions for fixes have been ignored for at least two years; or that WG put out two broken carriers (Saipan, Graf Zep,) that did nothing but hack people off and poison them against carriers even further; or that a fix was promised in 2017, but never delivered on for whatever reason, with little serious explanation as to why...

Why should old CV players trust or expect WG to do anything except screw things up?

Edited by Estimated_Prophet
  • Cool 3
  • Funny 1

[DUDE_]
Members
2,604 posts
12,503 battles

might we rid the game of the 33%rs though? the guys that very realistically are an autoloss simply by showing up?

[4HIM]
Members
1,816 posts
4,168 battles

Look at how many US radar cruisers we had after the split.  Or how many PA DD's we saw when they came out.  Or even the number of napalm slingers after the RN BB launch.  It will be CVpalooza.  

[HINON]
Members
9,055 posts
4 minutes ago, APA_204 said:

might we rid the game of the 33%rs though? the guys that very realistically are an autoloss simply by showing up?

If the rework ends up lessening the outsized influence a CV has on a match, it won't matter as much if you have a really poor CV on your team or the enemy team.

• Cool 1

[DUDE_]
Members
2,604 posts
12,503 battles
1 minute ago, RipNuN2 said:

If the rework ends up lessening the outsized influence a CV has on a match, it won't matter as much if you have a really poor CV on your team or the enemy team.

totally agree, I guess my original thought is how or why there are so many really poor players and they may be left in the dust as connection speeds may be their undoing.

[HIT]
Members
70 posts
6,013 battles
58 minutes ago, APA_204 said:

Been wondering for awhile now on why there are so many really really bad CV players and their wr's are so low after hundreds if not thousands of games....just spit balling here... but I am theorizing that many of these CV players actually are forced to play CV due to poor internet connections or slow speed and really can't play the regular ships as their ping is to slow for them to be effective....therefor, their only option is to play the RTS game that is our current CV playstyle and they can at least play as a simple click on target and forget about it.... 

IF that UI changes might we lose those 33%'rs and (god willing)... the super CV players may at least come down to earth as they all now have to play players that are closer in skill level?

Anyone who’s played CVs and any other ship type on a higher ping connection would this NOT to be the case. Even a modestly higher ping with CVs is very problematic since you need to make very quick adjustments with manual attacks and strafes. And quickly issuing orders and switching squadrons often ends up giving the second squad the order while missing the first one entirely.

[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
4,862 posts
7,177 battles
2 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

so semi-afk cv players will be encouraged, because there will be fewer consequences on battle outcomes. 

[ICBM]
Members
346 posts
5,135 battles
6 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

This was really my only issue with CVs. If you get stuck with the bad cv player it was almost impossible (as a dd, which I play) to do anything.  A good CV player unopposed will just ruin you.

Edited by mrieder79

[OPRAH]
[OPRAH]
Beta Testers
3,894 posts
12,632 battles

I have the US CV line completed and 3 IJN CVs I use them in co op and some scenarios since Random gets to frenzied and Ranked much too belligerent from all involved. But I will likely just park them all and not even bother using them in co op! Though I wonder how the AI Bot CVs will cope with the change?

[DUDE_]
Members
2,604 posts
12,503 battles
2 minutes ago, HQ_21 said:

Anyone who’s played CVs and any other ship type on a higher ping connection would this NOT to be the case. Even a modestly higher ping with CVs is very problematic since you need to make very quick adjustments with manual attacks and strafes. And quickly issuing orders and switching squadrons often ends up giving the second squad the order while missing the first one entirely.

you might be making my point or at least thought. I feel that many players can now play CV's only as they can simply send planes towards their target and forget about it...anything manual never crosses their mind...set it and forget it is their mentality ( my theory being is that is the only style of play they can play as it relates to ping)

how anyone can play thousands of games and lose 7 of ten and get yelled at and reported constantly borders on insanity...unless its the only means of being able to play.

[WORX]
Members
1,884 posts
12,967 battles

The rework is more for the new players and those who hardly ever play the CV line. Existing CV players well, the  RTS is in decline so its heart broken to see a group of players, no longer able to play RTS type play style.

On the other hand, its promising and its better off then having one CV being decent and owning the match and one potato. I don;t dwell on the past. The death of RTS in WOWS iin near, "so let it be written, let it be done"

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,696 posts
9,112 battles
36 minutes ago, APA_204 said:

28 minutes ago, dionkraft said:

It's good you have a open mind and give it a try. Many here are pretty adamant of the New CV design as a failure so thats their view. Ditto for the SUBS as well.!!  I'm excited for both and keep a "We shall see attitude.."  

I have an open mind on the CV change but after trying the Halloween subs I just don't see them being workable in the live game.

37 minutes ago, APA_204 said:

Is the GZ really that easy? damn, I should have got it! lols

During the pirate event another pirate, I am so bad with CV's I didn't even touch them took the GZ out and only did point and click attacks and still topped 100K damage. It is insanely overpowered but the CV rework will change that, global changes impact premiums too.

17 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

The new system will receive a very heavy push from WG, with lots of mission incentives and specials, and see a short-term influx of CV players, many of them just as bad at the new system as they might have been at the old. 

Long-term, the CV numbers will drop off lower than they are now, as people realize that the new interface is just a worse version of the single-POV ship interface, and that it doesn't even offer the alternative gameplay that the old system did.

Keep hammering that rock of not admitting that something drastic needed to happen with CV's for the good of the game. The player population in CV's is extremely low, the fact that AA builds on strong AA ships is a waste of captains points even in the small tier window - 4 to 6 - of their being relatively popular should tell you that but you are demanding hard proof while discounting what is obvious just by looking.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 2

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
2,559 posts
6 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

Keep hammering that rock of not admitting that something drastic needed to happen with CV's for the good of the game. The player population in CV's is extremely low, the fact that AA builds on strong AA ships is a waste of captains points even in the small tier window - 4 to 6 - of their being relatively popular should tell you that but you are demanding hard proof while discounting what is obvious just by looking.

And yet you've still failed to establish any causal connection between "the old interface" and "low player numbers".

Something drastic is happening.  And after the dust settles, it won't change anything, and the "problem" will be "worst" than before.

Edited by KilljoyCutter
  • Bad 2

[DUDE_]
Members
2,604 posts
12,503 battles
19 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

The rework is more for the new players and those who hardly ever play the CV line. Existing CV players well, the  RTS is in decline so its heart broken to see a group of players, no longer able to play RTS type play style.

On the other hand, its promising and its better off then having one CV being decent and owning the match and one potato. I don;t dwell on the past. The death of RTS in WOWS iin near, "so let it be written, let it be done"

I do hope there is still room for skill to prevail. I do like CV's or the thought of them, but anxiously await the prospect of games without one CV shooting down 80 planes and the other shooting down 3 and that's with his own AA.