Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Aurora_7

My first impressions on reaching Tier VIII level of play

19 comments in this topic

[AK-49]
[AK-49]
Members
149 posts
2,132 battles

Holy $#%&!

I bought an Atago over the weekend, my first (and currently only) premium ship. I spent a number of Co-op games to get the feel and earn coinage to fit her out before random play.

My first random play was an eye opener, not just in the number and speed death was dealt out but in coinage earnings. On my first battle I caused no damage to the enemy but survived, dodged what seemed like 50 torpedoes fired at me and earned over 200K in coinage and 1900 in XP.  I can see the appeal in buying ships if this is typical.

I've done about 4 random games now and I swear when I run up front to give support to the DDs while our BBs hang out back the Red teams ALWAYS seem to have their BB's out in front to great us!

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,423 posts
3,367 battles

Yeah, random is a whole different kettle of fish from co-op. Tier 8 premiums are also among the best credit-earners in the game (only beaten out by Missouri, Makoto Kobayashi camo ships, and Musashi), so Atago should definitely keep your port funded as you get higher in the tiers.

[13CLM]
Members
218 posts
1,220 battles

Wait for T9, it's a game of camping and hiding, anybody that tries to push is just burnt down by 4+ red ships.

Edited by Markk9
  • Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[SSBN]
[SSBN]
Members
304 posts
5,188 battles
18 minutes ago, Aurora_7 said:

Holy $#%&!

I bought an Atago over the weekend, my first (and currently only) premium ship. I spent a number of Co-op games to get the feel and earn coinage to fit her out before random play.

My first random play was an eye opener, not just in the number and speed death was dealt out but in coinage earnings. On my first battle I caused no damage to the enemy but survived, dodged what seemed like 50 torpedoes fired at me and earned over 200K in coinage and 1900 in XP.  I can see the appeal in buying ships if this is typical.

I've done about 4 random games now and I swear when I run up front to give support to the DDs while our BBs hang out back the Red teams ALWAYS seem to have their BB's out in front to great us!

Atago is not an in front support ship. She can ninja when she has to (no red DDs around), but you really want to be at range when there are BBs around. Burn them down, annoy them, use your concealment if you have to and then chase them when they run away. If they chase you drop off detection then pump torps in their direction while you run away and laugh as you get liquidators and witherers.

[AK-49]
[AK-49]
Members
149 posts
2,132 battles
Just now, gmrbull said:

Atago is not an in front support ship. She can ninja when she has to (no red DDs around), but you really want to be at range when there are BBs around. Burn them down, annoy them, use your concealment if you have to and then chase them when they run away. If they chase you drop off detection then pump torps in their direction while you run away and laugh as you get liquidators and witherers.

That tends to be my worst habit in the game, going up front thinking I can offer support. I tend to me in a cruiser and the center of attention when the shooting begins, Especially if I've been 'tanking' in one of my BBs in previous matches and don't adjust my game play for a CA. 

I was hoping the Atago would afford me better concealment to be up from and it does but it's not DD. I just had a match where I tried hanging out with an Iowa and a Bismark on our team against another Iowa and a Tirpitz but I didn't last half way through the match. I guess when they see a CA it's a dinner bell. 

I do love the torpedos in the Atago and need to use them to better effect.

[SSBN]
[SSBN]
Members
304 posts
5,188 battles
3 minutes ago, Aurora_7 said:

That tends to be my worst habit in the game, going up front thinking I can offer support. I tend to me in a cruiser and the center of attention when the shooting begins, Especially if I've been 'tanking' in one of my BBs in previous matches and don't adjust my game play for a CA. 

I was hoping the Atago would afford me better concealment to be up from and it does but it's not DD. I just had a match where I tried hanging out with an Iowa and a Bismark on our team against another Iowa and a Tirpitz but I didn't last half way through the match. I guess when they see a CA it's a dinner bell. 

I do love the torpedos in the Atago and need to use them to better effect.

At high tiers when a BB sees a squishy cruiser it’s absolutely dinner time. Always be playing with the rudder and speed. 

Full concealemnt you can stealth torp, but it’s not worth your ship early game to run in and drop torps.  If you play the other ijn cruisers you will understand they are best used while kiting and getting BBs and other cruisers to chase you because of the angles. You are too spoiled with the good torp angles in the Atago.

if you want add me to your contacts list and if you see me on we can div for some Atago games

• Cool 1

[NG-NL]
Members
5,021 posts
8,259 battles

Atago mixes well with a lot of ships as support CR. My Tirpitz, ARP Takao, Fletcher, Richelieu, and Akizuki are happy to div up with your Atago too.

[-K-]
Members
1,082 posts
7,318 battles

As a BB, there isn’t much more annoying than a well played Atago.  They can burn you down from range and be hard to hit.  However, as a BB, there isn’t much more enticing than a broadside Atago at close range.  They tend to go pop quite spectacularly.  

Members
2,591 posts
12,470 battles
50 minutes ago, Aurora_7 said:

Holy $#%&!

Congrats on the Atago. IMO one of the best ships in the game for teaching players how to play...It can hit hard but get deleted, great AP and HE, good torps but also can be suicide torps. Atago can hold it own with tier ten play. Stealthy, sneaky fun ship!

Enjoy

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
1,237 posts
4,803 battles
27 minutes ago, gmrbull said:

Right on target Atago is a stealth killer you really won't see her shine until you have a 15+ captain in her. Get good at kiting and hope they sell Kutuzov again!

[KOOKS]
Alpha Tester
2,758 posts
4,574 battles

Stack all the concealment you can and it's one of the stealthiest heavy cruisers...the only thing preventing it from going ham is the lack of radar.

That's a good ship you got right there...and you can switch anybody into it too.

[SSBN]
[SSBN]
Members
304 posts
5,188 battles
54 minutes ago, Aurora_7 said:

Thanks, gmrbull

Any time!

[KREW]
[KREW]
Members
144 posts
1,834 battles
3 hours ago, Aurora_7 said:

Holy $#%&!

I bought the Tirpitz and all the module upgrades love that ship still use her when I'm not in my Bismarck or Friedrich der GroBe, getting any premium ship is a smart move and a coin maker.

~enjoy

Members
2,918 posts
1,365 battles
3 hours ago, Markk9 said:

Wait for T9, it's a game of camping and hiding, anybody that tries to push is just burnt down by 4+ red ships.

Yeah, the game honestly gets boring t8+.  Your ship is cooler and more powerful but weaker then the t3s...

Members
292 posts
4 hours ago, Aurora_7 said:

Holy $#%&!

Yea coming from Coop Randoms must seem something else. Practically s different game.

Members
559 posts
2,431 battles

Welcome to tier X games. Your torps won't do much damage to them. Also they autobounce all tier 8 shells. Trying to do a point of damage will get you sunk.

Sign in to follow this