You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
RECON_RANGER

Use COAL for Salem? What to buy with 800K FREE XP?

44 comments in this topic

[SMP]
Beta Testers
245 posts
5,851 battles

I have enough coal to buy Salem.  Should I use it for that or something else or hoard it for something better, later. 

I also have 900,000 free XP.  What should I do with it?   I don't play Japanese ships much.  I don't play Russian ships at all because they all sucked in real life so I don't want Mushashi or  Kron.  Even though WG promised in the patch notes to never to remove Iowa, it was removed.   We all know WG LIES. 

Is the Alaska going to be a FREE XP ship? 

Edited by RECON_RANGER
  • Boring 1

[MKF]
Members
410 posts
15,098 battles

You mean Missouri? WG has not yet stated Alaska will be free xp though many seem to assume it. I am holding on to my FXP until we know. Bought Salem for the extra crate and there was nothing else I needed.

[HINON]
Supertester
19,211 posts
12,740 battles

I recommend holding on to it until something becomes available for FXP that meets your lofty, biased standards. Nothing has been announced yet regarding Alaska and Jean Bart, but then, if it had you wouldn't believe it anyways. So if I were you, I'd just wait and see what becomes available for what currency and when. That's what I'm doing with my FXP.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 4
  • Bad 1

[SMP]
Beta Testers
245 posts
5,851 battles

I don't play French ships either because I like to fight my battles sailing toward the enemy, not away from them.  Plus, I didn't know France even had or has a navy. 

Is there a chance WG might bring the Missouri back for Christmas?

If it was a premium ship, yes, but as a FREE XP ship, probably not.

• Boring 1
  • Bad 5

Members
707 posts
Just now, RECON_RANGER said:

I don't play French ships either because I like to fight my battles sailing toward the enemy, not away from them.

Jean Bart, Richelieu and Dunkerque will stop you running away

[HINON]
Supertester
19,211 posts
12,740 battles
6 minutes ago, RECON_RANGER said:

Is there a chance WG might bring the Missouri back for Christmas?

About the same chance as you judging a ship on its own merit as opposed to who built it.

• Funny 8

[DAKI]
Supertester, In AlfaTesters
727 posts
4,153 battles
18 minutes ago, Lert said:

About the same chance as you judging a ship on its own merit as opposed to who built it.

Let's stick within the realms of possibility here.

1 hour ago, RECON_RANGER said:

I don't play Japanese ships much.  I don't play Russian ships at all because they all sucked in real life so I don't want Mushashi or  Kron.

Both of these navies had some very respectable ships in their time. And still, do today.

Even though WG promised in the patch notes to never to remove Iowa, it was removed.   We all know WG LIES

They stated they originally had no plans too. Plans change. Missouri was extremely powerful with her radar on top of her Iowa hull. When combined with the numbers of her and her credit modifier, she was inversely impacting the in-game economy and match experience.

28 minutes ago, RECON_RANGER said:

Plus, I didn't know France even had or has a navy. 

The French had one of the largest navies in the world pre WW2.

In general, you seem to have... Very biased views.

[SMP]
Beta Testers
245 posts
5,851 battles
57 minutes ago, Lert said:

Why do you have a problem with a player not wanting to play ships that WG has invented with no basis in real life? 

Are you really telling me that this game would be successful if all the ships were completely made up? 

This game is successful because of German, American, and British ships and then Japanese, PERIOD.  If you remove all the other nations, this game is still a success, but if you remove the BIG THREE in particular with Japan next, then the game is a failure and goes under.   

In reality, Japanese ships were garbage.  The ONLY "battle" they won in the war was Pearl Harbor and many think we left it wide open and undefended to get us into the war against Germany.  After that, we stopped them at Coral Sea with an inferior force and then CRUSHED them at Midway again with a vastly inferior force and it was all clean-up after that. 

Edited by RECON_RANGER
  • Bad 3
  • Angry 1

[HINON]
Supertester
19,211 posts
12,740 battles

Yes, because Java Sea never happened.

USA! USA! USA!

[DAKI]
727 posts
4,153 battles

Why do you have a problem with a player not wanting to play ships that WG has invented with no basis in real life? 

Please show me which ships have "no basis in real life", give me some examples. I bet you, you won't have many.

This game is successful because of German, American, and British ships and then Japanese, PERIOD.  If you remove all the other nations, this game is still a success, but if you remove the BIG THREE in particular with Japan next, then the game is a failure and goes under.   

That's.. Not true. In fact globally, the Japanese line is the second most popular for the number of games played and the difference is small.

Japanese ships were garbage.  The ONLY "battle" they won in the war was Pearl Harbor and many think we left it wide open and undefended to get us into the war against Germany.  After that, we stopped them at Coral Sea and CRUSHED them at Midway and it was all clean-up after that. 

Battle of Coral Sea? The sinking of Force Z? Battle of Java Sea? The Indian Ocean Raid? Battle of Savo Island? Battle of Santa Cruz? 

In fact, the IJN won a vast number of naval battles vs the USN and RN.

[JUICE]
Members
819 posts
6,369 battles

I hardly ever play BBs but I just got Musashi with coal a couple weeks ago. I already have the "Prince of credit printers" so now I am holding on to Free XP to see what may be coming out.

Coal seems to build up fairly quick for free and if needed XP can be converted for money. That is how I approached the question.

[PVE]
Members
5,619 posts
18,209 battles

I have enough coal to buy Salem.  Should I use it for that or something else or hoard it for something better, later. 

I also have 900,000 free XP.  What should I do with it?   I don't play Japanese ships much.  I don't play Russian ships at all because they all sucked in real life so I don't want Mushashi or  Kron.  Even though WG promised in the patch notes to never to remove Iowa, it was removed.   We all know WG LIES. 

Is the Alaska going to be a FREE XP ship? 

I really enjoy the Salem. Unlike other high tier ships, she actually does not lose you credits every time you think about playing her... She is great but you need a heavy cruiser captain to make her work. I put my Halsey captain in her (his normal ship is Baltimore) and his special skills just make her rock. 

No one knows if Alaska will be Free XP or coal yet. I imagine we will know in due time well before they remove Salem from Arsenal. Just be patient if you want it, don't let that XP burn a hole in your pocket! BTW I am hoarding my Free XP expecting her to be available for that. Am also stockpiling coal just in case. 

Edited by Taylor3006

[JUICE]
Members
819 posts
6,369 battles

OK so the OP asked us all a question and now we bash him for his choice on type of ship to play......................................

• Bad 2

[DAKI]
727 posts
4,153 battles
1 minute ago, xXxRCADDICT said:

OK so the OP asked us all a question and now we bash him for his choice on type of ship to play......................................

We don't bash him on his choice. He's free to choose any he wants. But when his statements are flat out bias and wrong... We tend to point that out.

• Bad 1

[SSBN]
[SSBN]
Members
303 posts
5,169 battles
13 minutes ago, RECON_RANGER said:

Are you really telling me that this game would be successful if all the ships were completely made up? 

In reality, Japanese ships were garbage.  The ONLY "battle" they won in the war was Pearl Harbor and many think we left it wide open and undefended to get us into the war against Germany.  After that, we stopped them at Coral Sea with an inferior force and then CRUSHED them at Midway again with a vastly inferior force and it was all clean-up after that. 

Your last paragraph should have included some more research

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Supertester
19,211 posts
12,740 battles
5 minutes ago, xXxRCADDICT said:

And his questions were answered. Also, we're not bashing him for his choice in ships he wants to play, but the reasons for those choices.

I mean, flat out insinuating that the French didn't even have a navy? That's where all respect I might've had went right out the window.

[JUICE]
Members
819 posts
6,369 battles

Well in my defense, I missed the comment about the French. I am not fully awake yet.

Bash away.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[DAKI]
WoWS Wiki Editor
7,316 posts
6,597 battles

Plus, I didn't know France even had or has a navy. 

A Navy which the British feared and then decided to rather sink them before they run the risk of falling into German hands. Deny it all you want, you will of course, but the French Navy was a factor during WW2.

• Cool 2
  • Bad 1

[SOB]
Members
44 posts
3,070 battles
3 hours ago, RECON_RANGER said:

I don't play French ships either because I like to fight my battles sailing toward the enemy, not away from them.  Plus, I didn't know France even had or has a navy. 

You might want to look at The De Grasse. Its a pretty fun Light Cruiser.

[STURM]
Members
301 posts
2,899 battles
4 hours ago, RECON_RANGER said:

You know, these French jokes were tiring and flat out wrong long before this game even launched.

I'm willing to bet that most people who make these jokes un-ironicly never bothered to open a history book about D-Day. If they had, they would have learned that the Free French and other French resistance groups were very important on D-Day. Without French civilians sabotaging a ton of infrastructure at great risk to themselves, the German forces at Normandy likely would have been reinforced too fast for a beachhead to be established.

I'm not saying this to make light of the American forces's contribution, I'm saying this to point out that dismissing any nation's contribution to that day for the sake of an un-funny joke is flat out disgraceful.

As for the free EXP, do what you want with it. I have the feeling that most advice given here will be dismissed for some arbitrary reason.

• Cool 2

[JUICE]
Members
819 posts
6,369 battles
2 hours ago, Baskerville77 said:

You know, these French jokes were tiring and flat out wrong long before this game even launched.

I'm willing to bet that most people who make these jokes un-ironicly never bothered to open a history book about D-Day. If they had, they would have learned that the Free French and other French resistance groups were very important on D-Day. Without French civilians sabotaging a ton of infrastructure at great risk to themselves, the German forces at Normandy likely would have been reinforced too fast for a beachhead to be established.

I'm not saying this to make light of the American forces's contribution, I'm saying this to point out that dismissing any nation's contribution to that day for the sake of an un-funny joke is flat out disgraceful.

As for the free EXP, do what you want with it. I have the feeling that most advice given here will be dismissed for some arbitrary reason.

The French military and the French people were not the cowards, it was the government that were the cowards. It is only a theory but, I suspect if the French had committed to the war (all in) the war in Europe would have been a lot shorter.

• Cool 2