You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
LT_Rusty_SWO

Pink for team damage... without hitting a teammate? (video included)

22 comments in this topic

[XBRTC]
Members
1,424 posts
7,482 battles

No kidding. It happened, and the video is below.

Yes, a teammate who appeared well clear of my line of fire did somehow manage to drive between me and the target Benson, but that's not the point. You shoot a round, you own it. You get the rewards if you hit the right thing, and you get the punishment if you hit the wrong thing. Problem is... I didn't actually hit the wrong thing, and you can see it in the video.

My first thought was secondary batteries, but the more I look at the video the less I think that's what happened. He's not in front of my secondaries. It's unclear what actually hit the guy. What's plain as anything, though, is that you can see all four main battery rounds sail straight past the guy and on toward the target, and yet I somehow hit him for 1750 damage, knocked out his engine, and then turned pink.

(Yes, that entire battle was a potato fest. Yes, I sucked just as badly as anyone else did. That's also not the point.)

Edited by LT_Rusty_SWO

Members
733 posts

where you see him, where he see's you, and where the server "see's" you both can all be slightly different.

your replay could show what it did, his replay could show one of your shells hitting him, his client then tells the server of the hit, the server applies the penalty to you for the hit, as the server also did "see" the hit.

[WORX]
Members
1,887 posts
12,967 battles

Man you have so much clutter in your HUD. Christ man.

Yes at that range your guns did hit the DD. It was the DD's fault sailing to your guns however, as must would agree, you are in control of your trigger finger. 

THis happens all the time.

[ISLA]
Beta Testers
335 posts
7,136 battles

kind off odd looks like one shell hit him from your rear turret but he was so close that shell keep going.

[ARRGG]
Members
4,732 posts
7,577 battles
40 minutes ago, LT_Rusty_SWO said:

Yes, a teammate who appeared well clear of my line of fire did somehow manage to drive between me and the target Benson, but that's not the point. You shoot a round, you own it. You get the rewards if you hit the right thing, and you get the punishment if you hit the wrong thing. Problem is... I didn't actually hit the wrong thing, and you can see it in the video.

My first thought was secondary batteries, but the more I look at the video the less I think that's what happened. He's not in front of my secondaries. It's unclear what actually hit the guy. What's plain as anything, though, is that you can see all four main battery rounds sail straight past the guy and on toward the target, and yet I somehow hit him for 1750 damage, knocked out his engine, and then turned pink.

(Yes, that entire battle was a potato fest. Yes, I sucked just as badly as anyone else did. That's also not the point.)

Some of the shells hit the enemy and sunk him ,some  hit your buddy who was in the way when you fired  you here the voice don’t shoot your alies just after it happened, the replay just missed it

[XBRTC]
Members
1,424 posts
7,482 battles
Just now, HMCS_Devilfish said:

Some of the shells hit the enemy and sunk him ,some  hit your buddy who was in the way when you fired  you here the voice don’t shoot your alies just after it happened, the replay just missed it

Okay, so, there’s two turrets and two barrels per turret, and you can see all four rounds going toward the benson.

if one of the rounds hit the gallant, then you should see only three rounds outbound, not four.

• Cool 2

[XBRTC]
Members
1,424 posts
7,482 battles
10 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

Yes at that range your guns did hit the DD. It was the DD's fault sailing to your guns however, as must would agree, you are in control of your trigger finger. 

It’s only cluttered if your screen is small. 43” 4K, it doesn’t seem cluttered.

8 minutes ago, DeadIyArT said:

kind off odd looks like one shell hit him from your rear turret but he was so close that shell keep going.

There is no overpen mechanism for HE. If the round hits it explodes, and then it doesn’t exist anymore. These four rounds quite plainly continue to exist.

[WORX]
Members
1,887 posts
12,967 battles
11 minutes ago, LT_Rusty_SWO said:

It’s only cluttered if your screen is small. 43” 4K, it doesn’t seem cluttered.

I wish I was mentioning the screen size however, to me it just looks like to much redundant information. To me I would go nuts in viewing to much repeated information that I would enjoy the match itself.  If you can make it work, then your a man that needs to look at repeated information as a reference then I commend you for your abilities.

As for me. its to much lol

• Cool 1

[POP]
Members
860 posts
9,853 battles

Your video supports your theory.!

The question is, did your HE shells overpen and continue to the target?

It certainly appears so!

Supertester
3,004 posts
10,057 battles
1 hour ago, LT_Rusty_SWO said:

Sorry man, your rear main hit him. I watched and watched and re-watched the entire video and then focused on the slow mo, thank you for that by the way.

The slow mo really captures the point at which you connect with him and I'll explain, though I cannot explain why your round went past him, non the less, it hit him and knocked out a module as well as caused damage.

Start at 2:36 and when you start firing at about 2:38, the furthest aft round connects at 2:39, but the damage numbers from your teammate do not register until about the 2:44 mark at which your teammate loses his engine and an AA module as well as 1,750 and an additional 470 and maybe a fire tick  out of his 5,291 original hit points leaving him with 2,385 hit points for that specific encounter.

Your Warspite, for about that same time period, gains hit points due to your heal and your heal, despite being a "good" heal, is still only 0.6% of your maximum health per second. While this would make up the 1,750 damage, you did not lose your engine. And here's the catch, he was not taking fire from anyone else when he lost that 1,750 + 470. No one was shooting him, they were focusing you.

Again, I don't know why the furthest aft turrets went by him, but they did hit him.

I had two versions of your video pulled up, one viewing the second take (camera hovering), but I put this in slow motion as well to 25%, and the other window with the slow motion that you provided. This way I could go back and forth to compare and gather the times as well as see the incoming rounds from other ships and your rounds going out.

Also have to remember, in order to turn pink, it's based on the percentage of either the ships total current health pool or the ships maximum total health pool (I can never remember). Regardless, that Gallant only has a health pool of 12,000 and it lost over 2,220, plus an AA module and it's engine. That's at least 18.5% of it's health lost in registered friendly fire. So I think it's safe to say that it was within the pink zone, but obviously not to the point of "reflection".

Though, if you still have doubts after reading this, send the replay in and ask CS about it. If I'm wrong, let me know as I would be interested to know myself how that round got past your teammate and still caused damage.

Good luck to ya.

EDIT: Clarification and some corrections

Edited by BURN_Miner
  • Cool 1

[POP]
Members
599 posts
12,025 battles

Rear turret hit him with the shell and the game rendered the rounds as outbound because it was so close. People who play island hugging ships a lot have more than likely seen this before as sometimes your rounds will hit the island and appear to keep going but you will notice as the rounds reach the end of their run they will not show either a splash on the water or a hit on the target, they just kind of disappear from my experience.

[PNG]
Supertester, Beta Testers
5,664 posts
6,480 battles

There's been a bug in recent patches where ghost shells keep going even though they already hit something. They do no damage at the end of their path. But this was your main guns.

• Cool 1

[KWA]
Beta Testers
1,787 posts
3,899 battles

The team punishment system is way too sensitive right now. I fit a friend of mine while we were in a division with a single 102mm shell and it turned me pink because we were in the same smoke screen raining shells down on our enemies.

• Cool 1

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Members
2,894 posts
1,338 battles
6 hours ago, Navalpride33 said:

Yeah, I got pinked the other day.  I was in a DD, dumping a rack of torps at a cruiser 3 km away, and the cruiser behind me sailed between me and the cruiser I was shooting at.   Idiot.

However, my torps, my pink, not disputing that.  Just annoying when people are that oblivious.

Edited by mavfin87

[PIZZA]
Members
727 posts
8,180 battles

Do not trust videos. I got some citadels while video claims those were clear misses. 

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
2,573 posts
1 hour ago, mavfin87 said:

Yeah, I got pinked the other day.  I was in a DD, dumping a rack of torps at a cruiser 3 km away, and the cruiser behind me sailed between me and the cruiser I was shooting at.   Idiot.

However, my torps, my pink, not disputing that.  Just annoying when people are that oblivious.

Thing is, I do dispute it -- a system that claims to be assigning blame and punishment has to be able to tell who is actually to blame and who to punish, not just fall back on trite lazy platitudes.

[TF_34]
[TF_34]
Members
1,139 posts
6,848 battles

All this drama with the team damage system when they could just turn team damage OFF like they do for Operations.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,217 posts
14,630 battles

Your back turrets got your friendly DD, as Warspite does not have secondaries in the stern, nor even rear half of the ship to hit the DD in that spot. 

g4ciNj5.jpg

Here's the DD before you fired your main guns.  Take a look at the HP level at 5.2k HP

a6JAPfh.jpg

Here's the moment you fired your rear guns.  The DD isn't anywhere near the angle of fire of Secondaries, but your rear guns are right in the face of your DD.  When you fired your rear guns in sequence, you can see the DD's HP blip down as your rear guns fire.  After you fire your rear guns, the DD takes damage and drops from 5.2k HP to 2.9k HP.

ZYzZZG8.jpg

The team damage warning arrives after you fired your rear turrets.

yOKKU5v.jpg

Of course, the real, irrefutable proof is in the Post-Battle "Detailed Report" such as this as it tells everything.

PVDlwsb.jpg

Even for friendly ships you damage, it will tell exactly what kind of damage did it just as it provides details against an enemy ship.  That will settle everything if Secondaries Damage is listed against a friendly ship.

[XBRTC]
Members
1,424 posts
7,482 battles
51 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Your back turrets got your friendly DD, as Warspite does not have secondaries in the stern, nor even rear half of the ship to hit the DD in that spot. 

Spoiler

g4ciNj5.jpg

Here's the DD before you fired your main guns.  Take a look at the HP level at 5.2k HP

Spoiler

a6JAPfh.jpg

Here's the moment you fired your rear guns.  The DD isn't anywhere near the angle of fire of Secondaries, but your rear guns are right in the face of your DD.  When you fired your rear guns in sequence, you can see the DD's HP blip down as your rear guns fire.  After you fire your rear guns, the DD takes damage and drops from 5.2k HP to 2.9k HP.

Spoiler

ZYzZZG8.jpg

The team damage warning arrives after you fired your rear turrets.

Spoiler

yOKKU5v.jpg

Of course, the real, irrefutable proof is in the Post-Battle "Detailed Report" such as this as it tells everything.

Spoiler

PVDlwsb.jpg

Even for friendly ships you damage, it will tell exactly what kind of damage did it just as it provides details against an enemy ship.  That will settle everything if Secondaries Damage is listed against a friendly ship.

Yes, after watching a few times I did realize that it wasn't secondaries that hit, BUT since you took the time to watch that carefully, surely you noticed that all the shells from the main battery flew on by without making contact, yes?

Unfortunately I didn't get the screen grab of the results page. I was pissed enough that I closed the game client without even thinking about it, and only realized right after I'd clicked to confirm that I wanted to quit.

Regardless, I sent a ticket in. We'll see what WG has to say about it.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,217 posts
14,630 battles

Yes, after watching a few times I did realize that it wasn't secondaries that hit, BUT since you took the time to watch that carefully, surely you noticed that all the shells from the main battery flew on by without making contact, yes?

Unfortunately I didn't get the screen grab of the results page. I was pissed enough that I closed the game client without even thinking about it, and only realized right after I'd clicked to confirm that I wanted to quit.

The shells still flying down range is unusual.  But there's still nothing else from your ship in that area where the DD was that could damage it.  That the shells continued to go is the stranger part.

At least you got a replay / video up to plead your case.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[RNG]
Beta Testers
91 posts
3,140 battles

Compassghost had the right answer for you. I’ve seen it a lot in my Wooster because I’m so close to islands, but the same thing happens. Shells hit the island, but no impact is registered and my client shows them continuing. But they never do any damage when they “hit” the enemy. It’s frustrating, but it’s a client render glitch, not an issue with the TK system.