You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
crazyferret23777

Anyone ever have a match were RNG was good in the Roma?

27 comments in this topic

Members
233 posts
4,631 battles

Specifically how much dmg did you rack up? Did you ignore cruisers since roma ap has super penetration and overpens cruisers most of the time? Please post your great Roma games so that i can see if it's really possible  to have great games in her. TIA

Members
594 posts
4,882 battles

Roma is a great ship. I’ve had mine since she was released but haven’t played her much until recently. I’m not sure where the “it just overpens cruisers” things comes from because she has been just fine for me when engaging every ship type. I don’t have any screenshots I can post right now but I can tell you that I really like her. A fun BB in my opinion. 

[DAKI]
WoWS Wiki Editor
7,324 posts
6,609 battles

Yes, there were one or two games where RNG just said "yes" and granted me the godlike dispersion I asked for.

64387454-E46E-49A1-A13F-944320E088C8.thumb.jpeg.f5b414e9bb48d65da4bf286b8975e0aa.jpeg

D756033C-B390-4024-A673-6BFBA8D8D5F8.thumb.jpeg.4e7c8017425c6b3cd27a1d4a15edc92c.jpeg

CC220139-F8CF-4870-9777-536D7F8BDC50.thumb.jpeg.1d1ad5f3b9c481c0f892b977e4e4b1fa.jpeg

Also helped that the enemy was trying to brawl me with their rear turrets exposed :Smile_hiding:

Beta Testers
2,987 posts
4,406 battles

dreams can be true.roma with good RNG is the same thing.

• Cool 1

[DAKI]
Supertester, In AlfaTesters
729 posts
4,153 battles
2 hours ago, SireneRacker said:

Yes, there were one or two games where RNG just said "yes" and granted me the godlike dispersion I asked for.

64387454-E46E-49A1-A13F-944320E088C8.thumb.jpeg.f5b414e9bb48d65da4bf286b8975e0aa.jpeg

D756033C-B390-4024-A673-6BFBA8D8D5F8.thumb.jpeg.4e7c8017425c6b3cd27a1d4a15edc92c.jpeg

CC220139-F8CF-4870-9777-536D7F8BDC50.thumb.jpeg.1d1ad5f3b9c481c0f892b977e4e4b1fa.jpeg

Also helped that the enemy was trying to brawl me with their rear turrets exposed :Smile_hiding:

Ah... Back when times were simpler and happier...

That really was a good game though!

[HINON]
Supertester
19,229 posts
12,756 battles

Considering Roma is 3rd in WR and 5th in DPG out of 12 T8 battleships I think it's fair to say that, yes, the ship can - and generally does - perform to an above average standard, for the majority of players.

• Cool 2

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,866 posts
10,641 battles
5 hours ago, crazyferret23777 said:

Specifically how much dmg did you rack up? Did you ignore cruisers since roma ap has super penetration and overpens cruisers most of the time? Please post your great Roma games so that i can see if it's really possible  to have great games in her. TIA

I have every T8 tech tree and premium BB and hands down Roma is at the bottom. The only one I do worse in is Monarch. I have like 60 games in Roma but most were when I 1st got it desperately trying to make it work. I just haven't been able to and it is basically now just an expensive port queen with an expensive special camo.

The guns are just too frustrating and inconsistent. I don't have fun playing it so I stopped. Even in Co-op it struggles to consistently hit and do reliable damage. I couldn't imagine how bad it would be in PVP.

Best game in it is 157K damage with 2 kills. Nothing special and most of the damage was on a NC and Gneisenau. Only really good thing in the game was 22 defense ribbons.

It has decent speed and really good turret traverse. It can bow tank like a champ as well. But that is about it for redeeming qualities IMO.

LpxfoQm.jpg

QRabkeR.jpg

ZPxoAaZ.jpg

Edited by AdmiralThunder
  • Cool 1

Members
1,590 posts
4,356 battles

My initial excitement has worn off.  Another $50+ dollar ship I don't play, but she does look pretty.  Cannot make her guns work, at all.

[-VT3-]
Members
1,626 posts
3,364 battles

I've found her to perform well.  

It's important to note that more than guns, more than armor, more than any other technical spec, positioning is your most valuable asset.  To that end, Roma's speed and concealment make for a pretty devastating flanker.  

Few weeks ago, a div mate and I took a pair of Romas out and ended up on Neighbors.  We ran up the east flank, and were able to get both ships into their cap.  The end result was that a battleship, at least two DDs, and the enemy CV were forced to redirect their efforts away from the front line, to try and deal with the pair of fast battleships that had somehow managed to start swimming around in their base.  The high velocity guns made dealing with the DDs rather easy, and the battleship got brawled down.  

The CV ended up finishing us both off, but he wasted valuable time and sacrificed around 50 aircraft between the two of us to get the job done.  By that point, we'd been stalling their point counter for around five minutes, and a friendly DD had linked up with us to finish off the capture.

So yeah.  I'd say that it's a pretty strong ship, despite the inconsistency of its guns.

[HINON]
Members
2,580 posts
18,824 battles

Her RNG is not bad, the overpen is what I find frustrating and perhaps is what OP is experiencing. Too many times I should have punished broadsiding cruisers at mid to close range only to score 6 overpens. ichase and others who reviewed the ship when it came out talked about it.

[NDA]
Supertester
4,845 posts
13,820 battles

I've had good games in the Roma. 

EATc9vq.jpg

Fun Roma Moments, 

I think the Roma is a good ship. But if I could change something on this boat it would be either decrease the reload speed and keep its dispersion or Keep its reload speed but make those main guns more Accurate. Finally I would buff the range and reload speed of its secondaries.  

[TARFU]
[TARFU]
Members
918 posts
5,945 battles
9 minutes ago, Lert said:

Considering Roma is 3rd in WR and 5th in DPG out of 12 T8 battleships I think it's fair to say that, yes, the ship can - and generally does - perform to an above average standard, for the majority of players.

Eh, it does have a little "good player bias" though...

[HINON]
Supertester
19,229 posts
12,756 battles
3 minutes ago, HorrorRoach said:

Eh, it does have a little "good player bias" though...

Does it though?

[PVE]
Members
384 posts
8,631 battles

After observing the horrible accuracy of Roma in matches, I decided to give it a pass on purchasing. Other than having super tank armor I have not been impressed by one yet.

[TF_34]
[TF_34]
Members
1,139 posts
6,788 battles

For the first two weeks that I had Roma it was a citadel printing machine with very accurate guns. But at some point in was ninja-nerfed and the guns are now horribly inaccurate.

[LHG]
Members
1,193 posts
4,972 battles
31 minutes ago, Lert said:

Does it though?

Most premium and exclusive ships have a bit of a boost over tech tree counterparts, due to the generally more invested players that acquire them. Exactly how much of a boost will probably vary per ship, and it should be less of a balance factor unless the ship encourages an exploitative or oppressive playstyle outside the developers' intentions.

[HINON]
Supertester
19,229 posts
12,756 battles
16 minutes ago, Gen_Saris said:

For the first two weeks that I had Roma it was a citadel printing machine with very accurate guns. But at some point in was ninja-nerfed and the guns are now horribly inaccurate.

That never happened.

[TF_34]
[TF_34]
Members
1,139 posts
6,788 battles
Just now, Lert said:

That never happened.

Only relating my personal experience with the ship. It had very good shell groupings for about the first 2 weeks that I played it, after that the dispersion went to crap.

[SEAKT]
Members
16 posts
8,611 battles

Once. Just once, and bottom tiered in mostly a be match. Sank 4, hit something like 120k if I remember correctly. Alas... Just... Once ..

[HINON]
Supertester
19,229 posts
12,756 battles
5 minutes ago, Gen_Saris said:

Only relating my personal experience with the ship. It had very good shell groupings for about the first 2 weeks that I played it, after that the dispersion went to crap.

Uhuh. So it got ninjanerfed for you and you alone?

I smell confirmation bias and pink nostalgia goggles here. Roma's grouping has always been on the worse end with German dispersion and mediocre sigma.

[WOLF9]
Members
266 posts
3,893 battles

I generally find with Roma that the good RNG will last for only a portion of a match.  I had a recent tier 10 match where I scored 5 citadels in my first 3 salvos and 5 minutes into the game had just over 60k in damage done.  Think I finished the match at just under 100k and was one of the last to be sunk in a loss.  After the first few salvos it was mostly overpens and ricochets; the game situation forced me into taking suboptimal shots and when combined with the wonky dispersion it didn't go well.

[BNKR]
Members
710 posts
713 battles

The guns are wonky as hell, but if you use the speed and totally-not-broken concealment to get in the right position, the guns aren't really an issue. Then if you keep her nose in, she's tough a brick shithouse. I'm not good with her yet, but she's always  a blast to play.

[TARFU]
[TARFU]
Members
918 posts
5,945 battles

I ended up playing Roma because of this thread. I did decent actually, 76k damage... I solo cap'd because of the concealment, so my base XP was 1800ish I think. Near the end I tried brawling a Richlieu,. That's Roma's biggest flaw I think, brawling.

I was behind the Rich, about 4km away... My shells spread out a ship widths to the left and right of him as I tried to jam it up his tailpipe. That's crazy. It doesn't seem realistic, it's illogical. Crazy shell spreading should decrease with range. Because, if you scale up range...the dispersion radius should be enormous then, but it isn't.

it's almost like they went out of their way to make the shells behave the way they do. Poor future Italian BB line...

EJ

• Cool 1