You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Get_Kraken

The More I Play My Free Indy...

18 comments in this topic

[OPEC]
[OPEC]
Members
45 posts
1,495 battles

the more I like her.  I know, it's a sickness of some sort.  :Smile_ohmy:  But even though she is fragile, far from nimble, and her ROF is not great, her guns have good arcs and hit hard.  The radar seems to catch a lot of DD players by surprise.  Throw some flags on and she earns pretty good silver and free XP, too.

Indy_HighCal_Confed_Arson_9-30-18.JPG

• Cool 3

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
3,005 posts
13,744 battles

It's a god ship if played to it's strengths. Well done

[PVE]
Members
5,681 posts
18,265 battles

I really hated the USN heavy cruisers for a long while. I got the Indianapolis in a bundle and after trying it a few times, just thought "meh". This continued on thru the USN cruiser split when I got Baltimore. I focused more on the Cleveland and the other lights. I even bought the Salem and thought it was anemic as well. Then I got my Halsey captain and spec'd him for heavies, my mind was blown. They really do quite well if you the right captain. The Baltimore, Indianapolis, and most especially the Salem, are some of my favorites in the game now. Not focused on playing them right now with so many things going on, but am looking forward to getting Halsey up to 19 points and grinding the heck out of the line. 

Members
60 posts
10,665 battles

She is a great ship, and I have fun in her. Her AP Alpha strike may not delete a CA, but it will make them run way quickly. If you can get to the broadside of a BB you can chunk a lot of HP off them. Got mine in a SC and did not use it much until after the USN Cruiser split. Not had a game like yours, good work.

[OPEC]
[OPEC]
Members
45 posts
1,495 battles
6 hours ago, Camo68 said:

It's a god ship if played to it's strengths. Well done

Thank you!  The interesting thing is I play her and the Pensacola in open water for the most part.  Even though she is not very shifty and I always take one pretty big salvo that whacks me really good, she seems to have just enough staying power to hang around.  Once you are down to a smaller number of ships, you can kite and start tormenting BB's with fire again and catch out any DD that is dumb enough to try to solo you and forgets that you have radar.

Beta Testers
1,491 posts
9,002 battles

Its guns can definitely sting against lightly armored targets.

I was in a game last night at top tier in my Indianapolis. I was in pursuit of a target at the C cap that was on the other side of an island north of the cap.  To the east was a broadside Omaha who, along with another ship, was pursuing a teammate at the far side of the B cap. I was just about to the island, so I was only going to be able to get off a snap shot and did not expect to hit him given that and the distance, but I would have nothing else to shoot at until I cleared the island.  Likewise, I figured a wasted shot was better than leaving my teammate hanging, so I fired.  Shortly after the shot, the island was between me and the Omaha, so I turned my attention back to the target I was pursuing.

After a few more seconds, I got the message that I sank the Omaha with 3 citadels.  I didn't see how many other shells penned or over penned, but I don't believe it was a detonation, and my remaining guns wouldn't have sunk him even if they all hit with just pens and over pens, so someone else must have hit him around the same time.  Still 3 citadels from an Indianapolis is slightly over half the Omaha's health, so it definitely hurt.  

I found it funny given I didn't even expect to hit him, but you definitely don't want to underestimate those guns.  As they say, "Luck favors the prepared," or, in this case, RNG favors the what-the-heck shots.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,213 posts
14,630 battles
On 10/1/2018 at 11:26 AM, Sotaudi said:

Its guns can definitely sting against lightly armored targets.

I was in a game last night at top tier in my Indianapolis. I was in pursuit of a target at the C cap that was on the other side of an island north of the cap.  To the east was a broadside Omaha who, along with another ship, was pursuing a teammate at the far side of the B cap. I was just about to the island, so I was only going to be able to get off a snap shot and did not expect to hit him given that and the distance, but I would have nothing else to shoot at until I cleared the island.  Likewise, I figured a wasted shot was better than leaving my teammate hanging, so I fired.  Shortly after the shot, the island was between me and the Omaha, so I turned my attention back to the target I was pursuing.

After a few more seconds, I got the message that I sank the Omaha with 3 citadels.  I didn't see how many other shells penned or over penned, but I don't believe it was a detonation, and my remaining guns wouldn't have sunk him even if they all hit with just pens and over pens, so someone else must have hit him around the same time.  Still 3 citadels from an Indianapolis is slightly over half the Omaha's health, so it definitely hurt.  

I found it funny given I didn't even expect to hit him, but you definitely don't want to underestimate those guns.  As they say, "Luck favors the prepared," or, in this case, RNG favors the what-the-heck shots.

The guns are the saving grace of Indianapolis, because it sure as hell isn't anything else, not even her Radar.  All USN CA guns are hard hitters, all their AP shells have the special bounce angles, and they all have high Cruiser AP pen values.  If the USN CA can hit the Cruiser, they are the best in a Cruiser vs Cruiser fight.  The real killer in such a fight is the special bounce angles.  There is a big temptation for players to show a bit more side to fire off more turrets.  Against other normal Cruisers, this is a safe tactic because some have very good firing angles even while using all turrets.  But the USN CA AP bounce angles?  The Cruiser opponent merely opened themselves up for bigger, full Penetration hits or worse, Citadels.

If you haven't already, get to DM or Salem.  It's the same deal, but with 5.5 second base reload, you punish them hard and fast.

• Cool 1

Members
1,551 posts
8,268 battles

Hey

I'm glad someone likes it because I absolutely hated it; I sold it once and got it back just before the tree split, hoping it might see a buff to the survivability.  I still could not make that ship work for me and I sold it a second time.  Never again.  It just ate so much damage, no matter how you tried to angle it.  The guns were good, if not slow to reload but it just couldn't tank damage of any kind.  Don't miss it.

Pete

[ARGSY]
Members
6,442 posts
4,302 battles
On 9/30/2018 at 7:45 AM, Taylor3006 said:

and spec'd him for heavies, my mind was blown.

What build did you use? (I have barely begun Halsey, if that, but I have John Doe in the Baltimore with enough elite captain XP to respec him if necessary, and I have US Ovechkin lying around with nothing to do.)

Members
1,088 posts
6,029 battles
21 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I have US Ovechkin lying around with nothing to do.)

His improved Survivability Expert skill seems to make him a good Destroyer captain candidate.

[ARGSY]
Members
6,442 posts
4,302 battles
9 minutes ago, MannyD_of_The_Sea said:

His improved Survivability Expert skill seems to make him a good Destroyer captain candidate.

I am currently in the Mahan. Right now I want to nail that ship to a cross and drive a stake through its heart, decapitate it, burn it, dissolve the ashes in acid and drop the whole shebang on to the surface of Cygnus X-1. Making him a DD captain seems to me to be throwing good money after bad at the moment. (Current DD captain is PT, LS, BFT, CE.) 

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

Members
1,088 posts
6,029 battles
2 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I am currently in the Mahan. Right now I want to nail that ship to a cross and drive a stake through its heart, decapitate it, burn it, dissolve the ashes in acid and drop the whole shebang on to the surface of Cygnus X-1. Making him a DD captain seems to me to be throwing good money after bad at the moment. (Current DD captain is PT, LS, BFT, CE.) 

Wow. You could be the love-child of a 16th-Century Pope 😄

I, ummmmmm..."didn't expect" that....

[ARGSY]
Members
6,442 posts
4,302 battles
55 minutes ago, MannyD_of_The_Sea said:

Wow. You could be the love-child of a 16th-Century Pope 😄

My ancestry is Italian, so how do you know I'm not? :Smile_trollface:

Members
1,088 posts
6,029 battles
52 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

My ancestry is Italian, so how do you know I'm not? :Smile_trollface:

Hey. My powers of deduction are even better than I thought.