You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Fastwolf66

Atlanta, IFHE or DE?

65 comments in this topic

[KOOKS]
Beta Testers
269 posts
8,836 battles

Have the dude now, mine is an specializec AA cruiser, but the tiny 127mm struggles to make serious damage. Is better IFHE to try to pen (considering the really small caliber, not 152 but 127mm) or give it away and try to increase those low fire chances?

Someone make the numbers please, considering low tier (seeing tier IX) and high tier (top fish against V and VII)

Thanks

[-K-]
[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,779 posts
6,788 battles

both.jpg

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

[-TKS-]
Members
301 posts
5,967 battles

IFHe should be the your first points spent period. skip priority target, adrenaline rush, bft. go right for ifhe. 

• Funny 1

Members
365 posts
6 battles
7 minutes ago, EyE_dYe_QuIck said:

IFHe should be the your first points spent period. skip priority target, adrenaline rush, bft. go right for ifhe. 

You realize that's impossible, right?

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,448 posts
11,755 battles

PT, AR, DE , IFHE....

[NNA]
Members
192 posts
5,666 battles

I have a 16 point captain in my Atlanta. Hoping to get him to 19 soon. The combo that so far has been working best for me is:

Priority Target
Expert Marksman
Last Stand
Demolition Expert
IHFE
Concealment

The last 3 points will most likely go for Basic Fire Training which will put my AA at 73.

• Cool 1

[INTEL]
Members
8,585 posts
25,702 battles
16 hours ago, Fastwolf66 said:

Have the dude now, mine is an specializec AA cruiser, but the tiny 127mm struggles to make serious damage. Is better IFHE to try to pen (considering the really small caliber, not 152 but 127mm) or give it away and try to increase those low fire chances?

Someone make the numbers please, considering low tier (seeing tier IX) and high tier (top fish against V and VII)

Thanks

Both. Give up CE, you don't need it. IFHE will dramatically ramp up your damage. Concealment is not necessary -- you spend most of your time hiding behind islands, and the 1 km difference from CE is less important than the ability to dish out damage one way or another. 

I run mine manual AA spec:

image.png.a6d672b425cdbc7d52757824c51f64ed.png

Edited by Taichunger
  • Cool 2

[KOOKS]
Beta Testers
269 posts
8,836 battles

Thanks for the answers, as personal choice I run BFT, AFT and Manual Fire control for AA guns for the speciliazed AA role, PT as basic one, that leaves me with the choice of Jack of all trades or Last stand as the second skill and 5 remaining points... currently I have DE and both tier 2 skills (LS and JoaT) but meditating if changing it to IFHE and PM or IFA, getting rid of LS probably. That is my doubt, to rack up damage, IFHE or DE?

The other skills are pretty fixed for a massed out AA cruiser. BTW, Manual Fire Control for AA is an absolute beast on this ship, combined with BFT and AFT makes 318 damage per second at 7.2 km... at tier VII. Add defensive fire and that makes 636 damage per second... at 7.2 km.

Ideas? someone has stadistics or numbers? (penetration with/without IFHE for the 127mm, and superstructure armor on tier VII). Will it make a difference on pens or the increase is not worth anyway?

Thanks

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
1,111 posts
11,948 battles

DE then IFHE then CE. 

The ship is a bit more comfortable to get into position once you get CE

[-WPG-]
Members
806 posts
3,352 battles

You absolutely need IFHE. Without it you can't pen even a T6 BB's bow/stern, and most T8+ cruiser's bow/sterns.  That limits you to only penning the superstructure on those ships, which saturates quickly.  Needs to be the first 4 point skill taken. 

Edited by DouglasMacAwful

[KOOKS]
Beta Testers
269 posts
8,836 battles
9 minutes ago, BarbedWireRat said:

DE then IFHE then CE. 

The ship is a bit more comfortable to get into position once you get CE

Thanks, but I use it as specialized AA, hence no CE and need to choose between IFHE and DE, no chance to get both on my configuration. Probably looking at the answers will be IFHE, so next question is which tier I skill to pick (apart from PT of course). PM looks like a good option to help those fragile turrets.

[WORX]
Members
1,850 posts
12,893 battles
1 hour ago, Fastwolf66 said:

Is better IFHE to try to pen

IMO, the ATL doesn't have the high enough caliber to achieve your objective. Therefore I am against the recommendation of wasting 4 cpt pts on IFHE. I recommend 

• PT
  • LS, AR
  • DE, BFT
  • CE, AFT

any other pts left over i recommend buffing the consumables OR buffing the survivability of your guns (people with good aiming skills will destroy your guns).

[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
1,699 posts
8,130 battles

Without CE Atlanta has an 11km surface detection range; dds would spot you fir days without concern of radar range. With CE Atlanta gets a ~9.4kn surface detection meaning you can make use of radar when danger is close. Furthermore, if you can shoot a BB, and its british or American there is a high probability he can shoot you over that same island.

To the OP

I would get CE first; unlike most ships Atlanta doesn't  get secend chances. Then pending on how good my aim or the way you play, i would choose IFHE or AFT. AFT if you like to island hump or IFHE if you prefer the typical light cruiser life of chasing and aiding destroyers. Because at t7, you dont need IFHE to fully penetrate destroyers and 90% of the cruisers you meet. You would however need IFHE to farm damage on battleships. I remember, before IFHE having to shoot a Colorado 350 times before he would sink.

[KOOKS]
Beta Testers
269 posts
8,836 battles
1 minute ago, Navalpride33 said:

IMO, the ATL doesn't have the high enough caliber to achieve your objective. Therefore I am against the recommendation of wasting 4 cpt pts on IFHE. I recommend 

• PT
  • LS, AR
  • DE, BFT
  • CE, AFT

any other pts left over i recommend buffing the consumables OR buffing the survivability of your guns (people with good aiming skills will destroy your guns).

My actual configuration is close to that, only I dropped CE for Manual Fire Control for AA (again, I use it as an specialized AA cruiser). My doubt is if the increase in pen with IFHE is worth with the 127mm at tier VII, looking for pen numbers and armor values at that level, I know the fire chances for DE but not the pen values for IFHE.

[-WPG-]
Members
806 posts
3,352 battles
2 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

• PT
  • LS, AR
  • DE, BFT
  • CE, AFT

I'm sorry, this is objectively terrible advice, as far as not taking IFHE.  Take a look at the HE pen charts and see what you can and can't pen with and without IFHE.  Basically, a majority of the ships you're shooting at are useless to use standard HE on. Relying on hitting a non-saturated superstructure and fires sets you up for lots of low-damage games.

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Armor_thresholds

pens.jpg

• Cool 1

[KOOKS]
Beta Testers
269 posts
8,836 battles
3 minutes ago, Crokodone said:

Without CE Atlanta has an 11km surface detection range; dds would spot you fir days without concern of radar range. With CE Atlanta gets a ~9.4kn surface detection meaning you can make use of radar when danger is close. Furthermore, if you can shoot a BB, and its british or American there is a high probability he can shoot you over that same island.

To the OP

I would get CE first; unlike most ships Atlanta doesn't  get secend chances. Then pending on how good my aim or the way you play, i would choose IFHE or AFT. AFT if you like to island hump or IFHE if you prefer the typical light cruiser life of chasing and aiding destroyers. Because at t7, you dont need IFHE to fully penetrate destroyers and 90% of the cruisers you meet. You would however need IFHE to farm damage on battleships. I remember, before IFHE having to shoot a Colorado 350 times before he would sink.

SO IFHE is needed to pen the BBs at that tier, thanks. The fire damage is quite unreliable IMHO, so I will go for IFHE, thanks

[KOOKS]
Beta Testers
269 posts
8,836 battles
Just now, DouglasMacAwful said:

I'm sorry, this is objectively terrible advice, as far as not taking IFHE.  Take a look at the HE pen charts and see what you can and can't pen with and without IFHE.  Basically, a majority of the ships you're shooting at are useless to use standard HE on. Relying on hitting a non-saturated superstructure and fires sets you up for lots of low-damage games.

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Armor_thresholds

pens.jpg

Thanks!!! that was the data I was looking for. Source?

[WORX]
Members
1,850 posts
12,893 battles
1 minute ago, Fastwolf66 said:

only I dropped CE for Manual Fire Control for AA

^^^ This i don;t recommend, if anything IF your going to spec AA def then keep CE and add MFC. I think with that change you will be happy but maybe not compatible with your play style

[-TKS-]
Members
301 posts
5,967 battles
1 hour ago, pinkship9001 said:

You realize that's impossible, right?

well then my point stands , get to ihfe asap. you should be able to double your damage with it , making it faster to level up your captain. 

I ran it up  Pt /ar / bft/ ife/aft/ rpf/ifa   however using the captain on Wooster may change rpf for CE and ifa for pm . 

Edited by EyE_dYe_QuIck

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,177 posts
11,693 battles

I personally think that DE is a waste of 3 points.  It will give you on average, 1 extra fire per 50 hits that may or may not be put out.  IFHE for certain is the pick imo.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,177 posts
11,693 battles
12 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

• PT
  • LS, AR
  • DE, BFT
  • CE, AFT

I don't recommend this at all.  DE is imo, a waste of three points.  IFHE is not a waste of 4 points.

[KOOKS]
Beta Testers
269 posts
8,836 battles

Thanks to all the answers, IFHE it is... and still the terror of enemy planes ;)

Again, thanks to all

• Cool 1

[WORX]
Members
1,850 posts
12,893 battles
11 minutes ago, crzyhawk said:

I don't recommend this at all.  DE is imo, a waste of three points.  IFHE is not a waste of 4 points.

The only difference between My config and having IFHE, is mainly where your DMG is coming from. With my config, your DMG is coming from fires. As nimble and mushy the ATL is I rather have a BB on fire as I run away then staying there and probably getting deleted by everyone that can see you when you shot (because you will attract attention in the ATL).

Can you still have high DMG games in the ATL with my config and with IFHE? yes

Was the ATL meant to DMG farm ?  No

The ATL is a support ship, she needs the help of the fleet in order to create favorable situations. You can check my stats. MY config works for me, I don;t DMG farm because I hate it but I do take out HVT. One thing for sure the ATL is not what you guys make it out to be.... If you're having a High DMG farming match in an ATL, that means the rest of your fleet really didn't do anything productive.

@Fastwolf66

What ever Config/build you decide, the ATL should be the must fun ship in your port... Have fun with her, that is the end all objective.

Edited by Navalpride33

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,177 posts
11,693 battles

you're getting 1 extra fire per 50 hits.  That's nothing.

• Cool 1